A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

bronzestar
I survived and got married
Topic Author

Deterring cats from our yard

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi lovelies,

I have a problem with cats visiting our yard and leaving behind their 'business'. I thought cats were polite creatures and would dig a hole and cover their number two's but we obviously have impolite cats :twisted:

If anyone has any ideas of how to deter these cats from our yard it would be most appreciated. I am stick of stepping on cat muck and it friggin stinks.

Thanks in advance :D

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Re: Deterring cats from our yard

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't have any ideas but I am watching this thread!

I thought we had a dead animal in the yard but it was just cat p*ss on our sandpit. GROSS. Now I have to buy new sand + a cover.

bronzestar
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm

My FIL's suggested sprinkling around citrus peels, which I have done and there is still cat crud :twisted: One of my colleagues suggested to sprinkle ground white pepper or cayenne pepper. Will pick some up next time I do the groceries....

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 pm

my nan used to swear by coke bottles filled with water! I have no idea what the idea behind that was though... hmmm I can imagine the pepper would work but that is a bit mean! It will get on the pads on the cats feet and could cause it issues??? 8O

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm

bronzestar
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:31 pm

cj2011 wrote:

Thanks for the link :D I will give the deterrent mix a try.

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 pm

cj2011 wrote:
my nan used to swear by coke bottles filled with water! I have no idea what the idea behind that was though...

I just had a flashback to late 1980s when plastic cokebottles filled with water lined suburban streets! we did that to stop animals peeing but I have no idea if it worked or not!

SnappySarzie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Try tea tree oil - they don't like the smell.

Also you can buy deterrents from barkcontrol.com.au - you can get ones with sensors that spray them and let off a noise if they come near areas you don't want them to. It's harmless but they hate it.

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

cj2011 wrote:
my nan used to swear by coke bottles filled with water! I have no idea what the idea behind that was though... hmmm I can imagine the pepper would work but that is a bit mean! It will get on the pads on the cats feet and could cause it issues??? 8O

My dad used to do that too! Apparently, the cats would see their own reflection in the water and get scared away :lol:

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Children! A cat wondered into our yard this morning and DS started chasing it and it ran away :lol: Then the cat jumped onto the fence and meowed at him and DS screamed and ran away haha.

Seriously though, my FMIL swears by chilli flakes but I also think it's mean!

bronzestar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 am

I know this is an old thread but I have found The Solution

Get a dog.

Then you just have to clean up dog crud instead Image

bronzestar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I had gotten to the point where we had to replace stuff (barbeque cover, chair cushions) because of the cats marking them with their urine. Citrus, tea tree, chilli flakes and even some random stuff I found at the garden centre had failed to stop it. Then we got a dog and the back yard no longer smells of cat urine.

I know it's like chopping off your nose to spite your face but, for us, it has worked.

bronzestar
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 am

MissPony, that had me in stiches! Talk about commitment, but it worked.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 pm

We have the same problem, along with the cats killing native wildlife & leaving it in our yard for us to clean up.

I don't have a problem with the cats wandering across the front yard, I even pat them sometimes as they are cute, but I really wish they'd stop using our back-yard as their own private toilet - especially when we have kids, I just want to let them outside to play without having to go & clean up first.

I'm going to try some of those ideas & will let you know - not keen on the pepper as that might harm them (and I do like cats) but I think I'll try the citrus idea.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.45