A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Bathroom Reno

Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Has anyone ever reno'd their bathroom?

Do you have any tips? Is there anything we need to know/be aware of?

We are still in the early stages (ie haven't decided if we will do it yet - just researching and getting all the info).

Also, if anyone doesn't mind sharing - how much did it cost you, how big was the reno & how much were you able to do yourself?

Our bathroom is quite small & this is what we are thinking of:

Removing existing bath and putting in a corner bath with a shower - this gives us more room as we currently have a seperate shower

Removing existing shower and putting new vanity in that corner

Removing existing vanity

Floor would obviously need re-tiling - we are happy to do this ourselves

Wall would need waterproofing & tiling for the shower etc

Plumbing etc

Also, the door opens inwards and takes up half the room - we have enough space to install a sliding door inside the wall cavity.

We would do as much as possible ourselves and buy stuff as factory seconds etc to try & save money. Does this sound feasible?

muffymuffin

Re: Bathroom Reno

Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 pm

I had my bathroom Renovated last year. I had the tub, the sink removed. I moved the toilet. I had a dividing wall installed where the tub had once been and put a shower on one side of the wall and the toilet on the other.

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri May 25, 2012 12:54 am

I did a Reno to the bathroom of my investment property last year.
Including new shower screen, towel rails and fittings, new vanity, toilet cistern and seat, repairs to the walls, new mirror, light, new blind and painting I paid $2k in total.
As to what we did ourselves, I bought everything off eBay, we painted the walls and were originally planning to do everything but ran out of time, so I got a tradesman to do the rest, after getting 3 quotes.

It sounds like your reno is a lot more work, with tiling and plumbing involved.
A good starting point is to get lots of quotes - especially for professional jobs like plumbing, the tradesman will be able to point out best ways of doing things. If you get several quotes can then decide what jobs will be worth doing yourselves.
For things like tiling and plumbing unless you have experience, it might pay to use tilers and plumbers.
Good luck :D

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:03 pm

thanks! This reno is on hold for the time being as we need the money to pay for IVF. However, we have done some small things to improve what we have and it has made a big difference. :)

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:26 pm

From a real estate perspective - a combined shower and bath is a disadvantage from a buyers/tenants perspective. Obviously the final decision is yours and you may never intend on selling just some food for thought.

I second the advice - get two quotes for everything you aren't doing yourself - and use reputable trades especially for major items like plumbing and water proofing. The last thing you will want is for someone to do a dodgy job at waterproofing your shower and you have major leaks behind the shower etc.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks KG'sGirl, will definitely keep that in mind if we do ever do it. Right now it's not going to happen as we need the money to start a family. :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07