A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Building with wood

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Has anyone ever built anything by themselves with wood? I want a step-ladder as the only ladder we have is massive & I can hardly even lift it, let alone get it down the hall from the garage without bashing the walls. I was thinking about building myself one but I don't really know where to start - I haven't really worked with wood since manual arts at high-school.

I don't even know what kind of wood or how much to get. I don't really know how to use power tools, but I think DH has hand saws & hand drills etc so I should be able to do it without using the power tools.

Oh yeh, and lets just say that anything mathematical is not my forte. So does anyone have any tips for working out the dimensions etc in a way that is simple & easy to understand?

Maybe I'm being a bit ambitious, I don't know. I can't drive so I haven't yet figured out how I will get the wood, but I will see if we have enough lying around at home. If I don't build it I won't get one cause DH is not at all interested in doing anything in the way of home maintenance, and therefore I don't have a choice but to teach myself how to do it - and to do some of it I need a step-ladder. So learning to build one is my first step on my home-handywoman journey I guess!

michelle1089

Re: Building with wood

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

i built a bookcase a while back, i was ores and thought that it would be cool to built something! i watched a youtube video which helped me to know how to make it strong. i also went into bunnings and got one of the guys who works there to show me what i needed and he explained heaps!and told me about putting the screws in on angles and stuff like that. i had most of the materials already but i didnt tell him that hehe!

try out this video!

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-ho ... ep-ladder/

power tools arent too difficult, just make sure youre ready for noise. but you can always use a hand saw rather than using a circular saw or something. drills are easy, as long as you have a steady hand and are ready for vibration and the noise!!
working with wood is pretty fun, plus people think youre awesome when you say you made it hehe!!

good luck!

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Building with wood

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks a lot! I'll be cool with a hand saw etc, not sure about drills etc but I will be able to practice on scraps first. Will definitely check out that video, it looks really useful.

Will have to try & get a ride to Bunnings cause talking to one of the guys there sounds like a good option. Plus I know they have handyman classes sometimes which might be good. Thanks :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.18