hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~
Topic Author

Tattooed Barbie?!????

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 pm

This would have started some controversy around the world!! :lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ttoos.html

A CHAV Barbie with TATTOOS has gone on sale to mark the doll's 50th birthday.

Blonde Totally Stylin' Barbie and her brunette pal Nikki come with 40 tattoo stickers plus temporary "tattoos" for their little owners.
The idea is that girls can make Barbie look like their heroines - such as Jordan, Amy Winehouse or Cheryl Cole.
The doll is being sold in the US for £13.50.
But parents have accused the makers Mattel of dumbing down.
One parent said: "Whatever will they bring out next? Drug addict Barbie? Alcoholic Barbie?
Tattoos are common and if it leads girls to get one, they might regret it for the rest of their lives.
"It is dumbing right down - Barbie should be at the high end of fashion not the chav end."
Mattel tried selling a tattooed Barbie before in 1999 - but it had to be pulled because of anger from parents.
A pregnant Barbie also sparked public outrage.

Ms_Kase
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Tattooed Barbie?!????

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Ergh, tacky!

I'd never accept that as a gift for my daughter (if I had one), let alone buy one. I can't believe that people like Amy Winehouse are supposed to be role models for little girls.

As for pregnant barbie being controversial, I think that's a bit much. Why? Because it encourages teen pregnancy or something? Well, I would think most of Barbie's sales targets would be pre-pubescent and not biologically equipped to even get pregnant, and second, if that's the fear.. why are toy babies and prams sold?

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:54 pm

It wasn't a barbie, but I used to have a temporary tattoo doll. Temporary tattoos can't be any worse then Bratz who look s!utty
Last edited by StephMT on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ms_Kase
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Urgh.. agreed, bratz dolls are evil.

I don't know, I still think temporary tattoos are a bit wrong on little girls (and their dolls). I wouldn't compare people with tatts with alcoholics and drug users like the article does, but I think it's still a bit of an irresponsible message to teach little girls that tattoos are a temporary fashion statement and should just be applied at whim. The decision to get a tatt is something to be considered carefully.

I don't know... I hope that doesn't make me one of the "Won't someone PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!!" hystericals.

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Ms_Kase wrote:
Urgh.. agreed, bratz dolls are evil.

My two year old daughter was given Bratz pj's for her birthday. I put them on her last night for the first time and said "look at your new jama's" and she looked down and said "Poothy Tat, Mamma.. Meowwww.." :lol: their OVERLY big almonds eyes do look feline like!

Darens Girl

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuffs
Drunkzilla
Drunkzilla

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:13 pm

This just makes me regret not ever buying a Feral Cheryl doll when I found out about them so long ago :( I'm really not keen on Barbies.

http://www.feralcheryl.com.au/

Ms_Kase
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 am

ahaha, that's great! and she comes with a bag of *herbs*..classic

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:22 am

Not the first tattoo barbie they've brought out. And I don't think she looks Chav. She's wearing a pink top and jeans FFS. :roll: People need to chill the frig out sometimes. I think everyone's worn a temporary tattoo at some stage in their childhood and the majority of us have never gone on to get a permanent one.

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Wow, my mums so tacky - she let my sister and I wear temporary tattoos as children. And now we have real ones. Big ones! Oh what a shame.

And now? Im 24, engaged, own my own home and I invest money for a living. Not to mention, adore my mum, dad and sister.

Crying shame. Where did she go wrong??

For the record.... dolls dressed perpetually in pink are tacky. Who cares??

*danni*
Grow old along with me the best is yet to be
Grow old along with me the best is yet to be

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 pm

nic0985 wrote:
For the record.... dolls dressed perpetually in pink are tacky. Who cares??

bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Good call :D

jezzandjo
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Sorry I just had to add these pics. I had forgotten bout them till just now. Id saved them on my photobucket account yrs ago..lol
anyway.. so heres a bit of a laugh
ImageImage

lill_kitten
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:09 pm

I miss when barbie was a doctor :(

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 pm

jezzandjo wrote:
8O

Those are all funny as! :lol:

tattoo designs

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:33 am

Barbie tats are cool! :heart: love it! 8) That would look pretty for little girls as long as it's only a temporary tat :)

emmavanity
Brass Knuckle Bride
Brass Knuckle Bride

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 am

I remember the first one, I was only 9 and on my first day in Aussie I was allowed either that one or a Barbie whos hair could change depending on the water temp...isn't that teaching girls they just need to wash in cold or hot to get colours in their hair?
Pregnant barbie was mostly controversial cuz you took the belly off and out fell a baby....

If Bratz dolls are allowed to encourage girls to wear tiny tops and short skirts and make up well then....
MyScene dolls have one that "grows up"....

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm

I had temporary tattoos all my childhood. I LOVED them. You would never see me without one somewhere on me (occasionally, on my face... once I learned how to apply them myself)

For the record, yes I have a real one now.

Would I let my kids play with a tattoo Barbie? Certianly.

sweeti3
Mrs Bailey
Mrs Bailey

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Yea I think it is a big load of stink for nothing. My 5 year old has had temporary tattoos both those ones you wet to put on and the spray on ones. She loves them. Do I think this will make her grow up and get one...No. Probably more of the fact that FH and I have them will influence her more.

JDGrumbles
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

i seriously can't see what the issue is.

I wore temp tattoos HEAPS as a kid...do i have any? No. i also wore fake piercings in my lips, belly and nose as a teenager... do i have any (other than my ears) NO. and if i did that would be my choice.

I have two daughters, aged 5 and 8. do i let them wear temp tattoos if they want? yes! do i put spray colours in their hair if they want them for "crazy hair" day at school. YES. would i buy this barbie or similar? Yes (other than drugs, smoking or alcoholic dolls i would.

I teach my kids to be different. That being the same as everyone is boring and that they need to make decisions based on what they like and makes them happy and to not be influenced by there friends or society. i'm hoping this reflects more when their older to avoid peer pressure and to be confident within themselves and that they make decisions for the right reasons. As well as acceptance. I teach them that EVERYONE is different, that if everyone were the same it would be a pretty boring world.
I would HATE my kids growing up to judge people on looks such as tattoos, skin colour, disability, weight etc etc and thinking that this is acceptable. I want my kids to treat everyone equally. To be accepting of peoples differences and base friendships etc on personality and the way in which people treat them.

I think their is more for people to worry about when it comes to their children than tattoos and babies. Ultimately you raise your children to the best of your ability, guiding them, teaching them, showing them, how to be a good person, make good choices, and aid them in their lives. We all want happy successful children. But ultimately the day will come when they will make decisions and your input wont mean as much. You just hope that you've done enough to give them the guidance they've needed.
In the long run, if my kids are happy in themselves and their life, being treated well by there partner (if they decide to have one, whether boy or girl), healthy and i we have a good relationship i will be happy no matter what.

JDGrumbles
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Old post i know but i still think it's relevant as society is WAY too judgie for my liking
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06