A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Katalina10
Topic Author

Should I send an invite?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:38 pm

I have a question for you all girls.

I am having my destination wedding on Hamilton Island in November, and as such we let all of our guests know about the wedding a year ago. The ones that couldn't come quickly told us, but the ones that can come have already paid for their flights and booked their accommodation. As we have now reached our max numbers for the reception, their isn't anyone left to invite.

Sooo...do you think it is nesseasry to send out invites, considering that the people I will send them to have long since booked and paid for everything? The reason I ask is I was pricing up some invites on the weekend, and was astounded at how expensive it can be (even if I DIY them). Now I would really love to give everyone "out of Town" or gift bags when they arrive, but I dont think my budget will allow for them, but if I cut out the invites, I could afford it. Do you think it is rude not to send invites, or on the scale of things would the guests prefer the OOT bags?

Sorry if this is a long, rambling post :P (It sounded alright in my head when I was typing it :P)

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Should I send an invite?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm

I think yes. It's a confirmation to those you've spoken to that they're wanted at the wedding. And nice to have something to hang on to from the day aside from bonbon's etc.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm

i'm going with yes too... we sent so many invites that we knew were definite no's...
there are some really good DIY bargains to be had...

Cuffs
Drunkzilla
Drunkzilla

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm

I'd go for yes too. It does give you a licence to be less fancy with them also I think. I calculated our engagement party invites as costing us about $1.50 per invite when we did them! It would have been even less, but we bought extra paper and split pins etc etc etc that we still have in my craft box, waiting to be used :mrgreen:

If your going to DIY, borrow anything and everything scrap-booky off friends/relos to keep costs down. We bought a few of the little scrap booking machine type things when we made our invites, but only because I knew I would use them again after, which has happened a fair few times now!

Katalina10
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I do see what you mean. Although I think It is different sending out invites to people who are definate no's (I did the same with my eparty invites), than sending out all your invites to people who booked and paid 12 months ago (And by the time the invites are out, would have paid the remainder of thier accomm. money)

Oh and my family in completly unsentimental. Chances are most (if not all) of them will chuck the invite out after the wedding (I know my mum and dad will :P)

Thanks again..I love hearing everyone's feedback. :)

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Katalina I dont see why you cant just buy those packet of 30 wedding invitations, the generic type, write on them and then spend the money you saved on the little gift bags. I know I would truely appreciate it if I had traveled to Hamilton Island and received that as a little gift, whereas I never keep invitations and things like that, I probably wont even keep the ones from my own wedding let alone somebody elses:) But good luck at least you know already that you will have all of your close friends and family there :P

emma5

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I have to disagree with everyone, sorry :( I wouldnt waste my money on invites if i didnt need to (But i am a tight arse). But i was lucky enough to have my aunt make mine for free. Otherwise the packet idea is a good one, you wouldnt be out of pocket anymore then $10.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Or just design something in Word, print and post.

Invites don't have to be flashy or expensive, but you should send them.

I would worry the wedding was off or I was no longer invited if I didn't receive an invite.

never never bride
never say never
never say never

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm

I agree with Kate. I'd be a bit confused if I never received an official invite.

You can get really really cheap invites. They don't have to be fancy.

r&j_9
Formerly known as rachelandjames

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I have a similar case.. We had told everyone our plans to marry in Vanuatu and that people could come if they wanted but we weren't specifically inviting anyone. Main reason I didnt want to put anyone out or make them feel obliged to pay so much money to attend our wedding. We actually didnt think anyone would want to come.. Much to our suprise all the people who thought it was a great idea indicated their intentions of coming which was great..

I did however have a few people that were keen to come however hesitant due to the fact that they weren't invited officially and didnt want to invite themselves. For this reason I had invites made only for the ones who had indicated they were keen to come along, this saved money by not inviting everyone and I didnt feel bad about it as I knew that they already wanted to come.. To tell you the truth I'm glad I did, designing the invites was so much fun and everyone who received one loved them.

Hope this helps :heart:

stephjoy
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:13 am

I think that yes, you should still send invitations but I wouldn't go to much expense. Try this website for a cheap & easy DIY...

http://invitationland.com/

I just made some baby shower invitations using this site & they look fantastic. There are some designs which are free, but even if you prefer one of the ones that aren't free the membership costs are very reasonable (I paid AU $14 for a 12 month membership but they have shorter/cheaper options). You can change the colours, font etc to suit your theme. I printed mine on ordinary A4 card, 2 invitations per sheet & then just cut them with the guillotine at work. Easy peasy & they came out great, although they would've probably looked a bit better if I had bought some nice card instead of using the work stuff lol.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 am

never never bride wrote:
I agree with Kate. I'd be a bit confused if I never received an official invite.

You can get really really cheap invites. They don't have to be fancy.

I would start to question whether I was invited at all if I didn't get an invite! Very confusing! I think you need to make it official in some small way.

Katalina10
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:55 am

I dont think I explained myself properly. We are only having about 25 guests at the wedding, which consists of immediate family (brothers/sisters, Mums & Dads only), and our closests friends (and four of the 6 friends are in the bridal party). So I dont think any of them will assume they are not invited if they dont get a piece of paper in the mail. And if they do then we have more problems than we thought!! :P lol

Katalina10
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Plus if they needed a piece of paper to reasure them that we we still inviting them, or hadn't called off the wedding, after they had all invested thousands of dollars to come, then they obviously don't think very highly of us, and probably wouldn't have agreed to come in the first place. (Sorry if they makes no sense whatsoever - it made sense in my head :P lol)

Karisma
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 pm

I know what you mean Kat, we've also done the "here, this is what we're doing... what do you think and who's coming!?" :lol: Much to our surprise, we'll be having approx 20 guests with us on the cruise or flying to Vanuatu for the ceremony (most are incorporating their own holidays of course). I intend to send out formal invitations for those who are coming as a keepsake.. "intend" being the operative word. I'm not sure whether they'll be much use to anyone - they clearly know the details having had booked and paid deposits etc - so it'd only be for sentimental value. Question is, if your family and friends aren't too sentimental, perhaps it is a waste. Ask around, see what they think. However, I think it'd be nice to do up some invites for those who are coming along. Or there's always an e-card! :lol:

FY
Formerly known as katburke
Formerly known as katburke

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I have been thinking about who and what to send as well. Wedding is booked for next year on Daydream Island, and we want to give lots of notice for those who want to come, but we dont want to make people feel bad if they cant make it.
I have ordered some (free from vistaprint) oversized postcards, to use as save the date cards. And will decided on an invite, depending on response.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24