A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Fiori
Topic Author

Fiji Wedding Questions- looked couldn't find the answers.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am

Hello,

My FH and I are looking at getting married in Fiji next year.

At the moment we are deciding between the Shangri-la or the Warick.

I would like to know.

What is the best month for getting married in Fiji?
Should I organise it through a travel agent or book it all myself?

What things do you think I should know? Any advice?

Also too not fiji related-
How much time should I give myself to get the dress?

Fiori
Topic Author

Re: Fiji Wedding Questions- looked couldn't find the answers.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:48 am

Is this site still active?
Does anyone still come here???? :oops:

kallie

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Fiori,

I too am planning to be married in Fiji and have narrowed it down to three favourites: The Shangri-La, The Warwick or the Sonaisali.
I guess i cant answer your questions as I am still in the planning stages myself however perhaps we can share our progress together!
I too am deciding whether to do it all myself or if consulting with a destination wedding planner would be worth the money. Depending on how much they charge it may be wise so that everything runs smootly and I dont need to be worrying about it all.

I dont even know how many guests will be attending yet as we havent told many people that we are having it in FIJI yet. Our Engagement Party is in 6 weeks and we will tell them then.

In relation to your question as best time of year I think anywhere from May-November is their "drier" season although a lot of people on here seemed to have commented that it rained anyway!!

I hope this helps! Its great to see there is someone else going through the same things as me!

wishuponastar
Forever is a long time
Forever is a long time

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 pm

http://www.tourismfiji.com/fiji-weddings.html - this might help, outlines the packages ect. I think it would probably be easy enough to just organise it yourself, just make sure that the resort has a wedding coordinator and I am sure they would be more than helpfu.

I just booked a 7 night holiday at the Warwick in December through the above site, they have really good deals

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Check out the Outrigger on the Coral Coast it has the most beautiful little chapel :D

CMK
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm

We just got back last week from getting married in Fiji, so hopefully I can help in some way!
We got married at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, which is on the Coral Coast. It was without a doubt the best week of my life. I cannot recommend the Outrigger highly enough. We had 40 people in our group, and every single one of them didn't want to leave at the end of the week. The staff at the Outrigger are the nicest people in the world, and treated us like family. We got married at the chappel there, and it was absolutely beautiful. The wedding coordinator at the resort was fantastic. Nothing was too much for them, and I can honestly say that they went above and beyond for us.
In terms of planning, I would see several travel agents to get the best price and recommendations, and check the net, and also travel advisor. We were originally leaning towards Sonasali, but read some not great things about it, but some great things about the Outrigger on Travel advisor so went with them. Once you decide on a location, get in contact with the wedding coordinator at the resort - every big resort will have one, and they can start you on the right path in terms of the actual wedding etc. If anyone wants the details or contact of the wedding coordinator at the Outrigger PM me and I will be more than happy to pass on the information.

Fiori
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:36 am

:D Thank you all so much for your replies :D

Since posting this our plans are coming together.
We have decided on the Shangri-la for the 8/9/10.
I emailed the resort and (got a response within a couple of hours) the co-ordinator said that date is free and we can choose 3pm or 5pm. I really don't know what time would be best :?: I emialed Yoshi for a quote and have not got a response yet.

I went to my local travel agent and they said they couldn't help me until another months time as the prices have not come out yet for that time.

I'm serioulsy considering emailing sue at essense tours and organising it though her. What do you think? :?: ?

CMK- How long did you stay in Fiji? We are trying to work out how long the trip should be. I was thinking 2 weeks. Is that a bit long?
Thanks for the tip on seeing a few travel agents. i think I will definatley do this.

Wishuponastar- thanks for the link- its really helpful. :)

Kallie Congratulations. Do you have a date yet? Looking forward to chatting about your plans.

kallie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Fiori,

We havent set an actual date yet as we are still deciding on the location at the moment then we will nut out a date from there.
We have decided that we will stay at the resort we r getting married at with our guests for 5-7 nights and then on to somewhere like LikuLiku lagoon resort for our honeymoon for 7 days.
I really want to get further in to the planning side of things but cant really decide on too many things until we really know how many ppl will even come! We have no idea at this stage!!

I have seen good things written on here about Yoshi. Is the Shangri-La including him in your package? Or are you paying for photography separately?
Have you thought about whether you will be having a beach ceremony or using their chapel? What about for the reception? Do you have any ideas where you would like that?

I am hoping to have a beach ceremony and beachside reception....all depending on the weather of course. If enough ppl come I also want to have a private cultural dance and fire twirling show!

Keep me posted with all of your ideas!!

Fiori
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:15 am

Hi kallie,

Yoshi is from http://www.oceanstudiofiji.or.tv/ he is an extra. The shangri-la does include some photos in their package but I really want some sunset photos and his are amazing!!

I got in contact with Sue from Essense tours. She is amazing!! I highly recommend her, she has made me feel so much better about everything. I went to my local travel agent the other day and they told me to come back in a months time as it was too early to start preparing. I felt like a right goose, but Sue said it's never too early and made me feel really excited.

We are wanting to get married on the beach and at this stage we have not told anyone our plans. We already have two children and have been together for 14years so we were going to elope and have a family holiday at the same time.

CMK
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi Fiori,

We were in Fiji for 11 nights in total. We were at the Outrigger for 7 nights. (although I could have stayed forever), and then went to the Radisson for an extra 4 nights after our group had gone home. In the end I think it was long enough.

In terms of the time for the ceremony, it depends on what you want to do for photos. Keep in mind it gets dark fairly early, so if you want a fair bit of time for photos, it may be better to get married at 3pm. That's what we did. Had ours at 3pm, and it gave us enough time for plenty of photos, and we just finished as it was getting dark.

Fiori
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi CMK,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was thinking the 3pm ceremony would be best. Sue from essence found out that the sun sets at 6pm so if I have the 5pm ceremony it will get dark quickly. I really wanted to get some nice bright day shots of the gorgeous water in the background.

Sue suggested we break up the trip by staying at two different places. something to think about I think. Sounds like fun.

jodbry

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 am

Hi I got married at Sonasali resort and OMG I had the most amazing time ever. They sorted everything, my flowers were great, my hair stunning and the whole thing was so relaxed, the fijian choir astounding. The candlelit meal on the beach with personal waiter service divine, even the cake was delicious. i couldnt have asked for more. We will go back for our 10year anniversary definately! Rose petals on the bed and in the spa. Pictures are great too!

We then spent 4 days on a sailing safari around the yasawa Islands staying on a remote island with the crew, no electricity, days spent snorkeling with manta rays., evenings spent drinking Kava and singing.

Then we had another 4 days at Bareoot Island resort which was stunning but the food was a little crap (but its ok I Fiji has the nicest Maccas I have ever tasted! LOL) and it rained for all these days(october) so we hired a car and found our own adventure hanging out with locals. and driving through the sugar plantations!

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will love it!

mistresslizz

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 pm

hi im getting married at shangri-la 25th sep.. i cant wait..

if you need any of the menus pics of reception venues ect, jsut let me know..
we have 30ppl confirmed and getting very excited indeed..

i have heard great things about the photographer that comes with the package -

by the way - if you have the 5pm ceremony ( which i am) you can have your reception on the lawns outside the chapel which is very pretty - i was worried about it getting dark too - so we are going ot do some photos ( family ect ) before the ceremony

Shaz2010

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm

wishuponastar wrote:
http://www.tourismfiji.com/fiji-weddings.html - this might help, outlines the packages ect. I think it would probably be easy enough to just organise it yourself, just make sure that the resort has a wedding coordinator and I am sure they would be more than helpfu.

I just booked a 7 night holiday at the Warwick in December through the above site, they have really good deals

Do you mind if i ask how much your 7 day package is / whats included and when your going? :lol:

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm

I've just realised that you've settled on your accomodation....but thought I would let you know that anywhere on Denarau Island would be beautiful. I stayed at the Sofitel Resort and Spa there back in February for a work conference and it was fantastic. The staff were excellent and when I enquired about weddings they were more than helpful (even though I'm now getting married on the Gold Coast). It's good because although the island is attached to the mainland (fly in to Nadi), you need to pass a security check to get there.

February was a good time.....at the end of the wet season so prices are off-peak, but not too humid. We had one rainy night out of the three days that I stayed. The chapel there is really sweet too.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25