A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

pkr001
Topic Author

Magnetic Island

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Hello

I just posted a thread about doing destination weddings on a budget and then read about couples getting married at Magnetic island which they thought was cheaper then Hamilton or Hayman. I have just looked at some sites on Magnetic island and it looks beautiful.

I would love some feedback from people who got married there or are planning to get married there.

Having trouble deciding where to go!!! Too many choices.

Thanks

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Magnetic Island

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi pkr,

My fh and I are looking at getting married on Magnetic Island. The pictures look stunning :heart: and prices seem pretty reasonable. We're actually heading up there next weekend to have a look at everything and decide whether it is the place for us or not.

Leah3810

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi Pkr

My FH & I chose Maggie Island for our wedding for a few reasons... I went to a wedding on hamilton and was blown away by how expensive everything was, i loved the pics I saw of Maggie Island and knew people who have been there for holidays and loved it and the prices were really good.

We were originally looking at hiring a wedding planner, but after looking into the cost and getting my own quotes from people I decided I could do it myself and save a $$$. Admittedly I did start planning our wedding 12 months in advance, but I highly recommend doing this if possible. Ive planned so much already for my wedding in June and have paid deposits for everyone, confirmed all my bookings and have already paid $3000 off the reception.

We're having 30'ish people from Victoria come up to the island. Some are staying just 1-2 nights, others are choosing to take a week and stay on the island.

Im actually heading up there with FH & my mum on 13th November so if you want to know anything or want to see pics, send me a msg :)
Leah.

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 am

Leah,

my FH and I got back to melb late last night from a long weekend checking it out. Do you mind if I ask where you're having your ceremony, reception etc?

mrslittle
Happy in love ♥
Happy in love ♥

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi All

FH and I are getting married next month on the 19th at Magnetic Island. We went over a few weeks ago. Its gorgeous over there ! We got a Wedding Planner (best of magnetic) and she is lovely. She is organsising everything and anything we want and need.
Since we're having a laid back small wedding we are just having the reception at the Holiday House we have hired. It has a huge deck and will fit everyone. I put some photo's on my show and tell of the island and the holiday house!

MrsSomers
Brady's Lady
Brady's Lady

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Compared to the other islands, Magnetic is a lot less expensive. It's really close to Townsville which is good for guests flying up, cheap and easy to get the ferry across, and quite low-key and relaxed. There's heaps of accommodation options, and I know lots of people who have been married there, and all reports have been glowing. I'm actually heading over there next week, can't wait :D

kimberlina81
I survived and got married

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

HI ladies,

The girls on the Townsville forum (myself included) know a lot about Maggie (it's only 20 min away from Townsville by ferry) so feel free to drop by! I've lived here all my life so I know it very well!

My only word of warning, summer in Townsville is HOT. The themometer reading might not be that 'high' but the humidity is always really high at that time of the year! In mid-late December through to about mid-Feb it is also wet and is considered the 'wet season' by locals. January is by far the wettest month. We've had major flooding here in those months for the last 2 years. Another issue with the wet season is it is also CYCLONE season.

If you are already committed to it, make sure the ceremony and reception are later in the day, the usual 3pm is too hot in high summer.

I recommend March to September, but winter is nicest. I got married in August and the weather was BEAUTIFUL.

The rest of the time I am sure you will agree, I live in paradise!! :D

By the way, by knowing that these months are the 'wet season' and what you're in for will get you a lot of local cred which goes a long way! :lol: :lol:

PS. We have had the STRANGEST weather lately - really a lot colder than normal! (Don't be surprised if locals tell you there'll be a big cyclone this year because of that, if the wind blows a bit funny, they say there'll be a big cyclone this season)
Last edited by kimberlina81 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimberlina81

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Another HUGGGEE warning - Magnetic Island is also a HUGE schoolies destination so don't go then!!!

(I have made this mistake and the DUMBER part of that is that I work at a school and just didn't think about it!!! :oops: :oops: We still had a great time with my friends and the hotel owner was grateful because we weren't rowdy teenagers...just rowder 20 somethings!! ha ha)

Leah3810

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:31 am

Hi all
We went up to Maggie Island a few weeks ago, OMG it was even better than I thought it would be. I fell in love with the place, and the weather was amazing. We were a bit worried coming from melbourne that November might be sooo hot, but it was actually really nice.

We stayed at Beachside apartments in Nelly Bay, the place was amazing, we loved our apartment and it was great being so close to the ferry, shops etc!

Anyways, here's some of the pics we took of around the island. I highly recommend it. We also met with a heap of different people from other accommodation and looked around. Everyone was so helpful!!

Cheers
Leah :)

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/ ... %20Island/

Leah3810

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 am

Hi Bronmelbourne,

I was originally going through a wedding coordinator, but decided I could do it myself and save the money. Im so glad I did decide to do it too, its been so much fun and I like knowing I have control of things and not relying on someone else.

We're getting married on the grassfront in Nelly Bay (directly opposite Pure Magnetic Villas). Reception will be poolside at Magnetic International Resort (Been taken over and is now All Seasons Resort). Their accommodation is pretty budget but their receptions are amazing!!!

Hair & Makeup by Epicure - Katrina (she also comes to Melbourne occasionally and I will be getting her to do trials down here which is handy!)

Cake - Marie Smith (from Townsville, will meet us at the Ferry Terminal with the cake) Fantastic lady with lots of ideas and advice!

Accommodation - unsure yet, either Beachside Apartments or Mantra Resort, although I will be spending the night before at Pure Magnetic Villas with my sister & my 3mth old. Mantra were really helpful and are actually helping me organise fishing trips for the boys and day spa stuff for the girls.

If you have any other questions, just ask :)

mrslittle
Happy in love ♥
Happy in love ♥

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:22 pm

This is at Horshoe Bay at Magnetic Island were FH and I are tying the knot next month. The Wedding Planners are setting this up for us, I think its amazing. :heart:

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Leah3810 wrote:
Hi Bronmelbourne,

I was originally going through a wedding coordinator, but decided I could do it myself and save the money. Im so glad I did decide to do it too, its been so much fun and I like knowing I have control of things and not relying on someone else.

We're getting married on the grassfront in Nelly Bay (directly opposite Pure Magnetic Villas). Reception will be poolside at Magnetic International Resort (Been taken over and is now All Seasons Resort). Their accommodation is pretty budget but their receptions are amazing!!!

Hair & Makeup by Epicure - Katrina (she also comes to Melbourne occasionally and I will be getting her to do trials down here which is handy!)

Cake - Marie Smith (from Townsville, will meet us at the Ferry Terminal with the cake) Fantastic lady with lots of ideas and advice!

Accommodation - unsure yet, either Beachside Apartments or Mantra Resort, although I will be spending the night before at Pure Magnetic Villas with my sister & my 3mth old. Mantra were really helpful and are actually helping me organise fishing trips for the boys and day spa stuff for the girls.

If you have any other questions, just ask :)

Leah,

We stayed at Beachside Apartments when we were up there as well, we were so happy with them and good value too!!
By the sound of it, we're looking at the exact same ceremony spot, we had decided on Picnic Bay but then we went for a wander and decided opposite Pure Magnetic Villas was perfect, especially since I'm wanting to stay there the night before with my bridesmaids!
I was looking at Epicure too, haven't contacted them yet to work out who but one of the biggest things I was worried about was how I was going to get trials done! If she comes down here occasionally, that would work out absolutely perfectly! I wonder if she'll be happy to do a trial down here for me at some stage too?! Are you getting a trial for your bridesmaids as well or just you?
I've had a bit of a look for cakes but hadn't really come up with anything in particular yet, will have to do a google search for yours!
I've probably read it already but am being lazy and can't be bothered looking back through everything, when are you getting married?

Bron

Leah3810

Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:26 am

bronmelbourne wrote:

Leah,

We stayed at Beachside Apartments when we were up there as well, we were so happy with them and good value too!!
By the sound of it, we're looking at the exact same ceremony spot, we had decided on Picnic Bay but then we went for a wander and decided opposite Pure Magnetic Villas was perfect, especially since I'm wanting to stay there the night before with my bridesmaids!
I was looking at Epicure too, haven't contacted them yet to work out who but one of the biggest things I was worried about was how I was going to get trials done! If she comes down here occasionally, that would work out absolutely perfectly! I wonder if she'll be happy to do a trial down here for me at some stage too?! Are you getting a trial for your bridesmaids as well or just you?
I've had a bit of a look for cakes but hadn't really come up with anything in particular yet, will have to do a google search for yours!
I've probably read it already but am being lazy and can't be bothered looking back through everything, when are you getting married?

Bron

haha thats funny!! We had decided Picnic Bay near the surf lifesaving club, but after looking around we just loved nelly bay too!! Im waiting to hear from Katrina from Epicure as to when she's coming down. Im only having my sister as my bridesmaid and she lives in Germany so will just be me for the trial. If you do decide to use her, I can let you know when she's coming to Melb and you could possibly organise yours for around the same time... let me know.
The cake lady im using doesnt have a website or anything, but after reading through heaps of threads on here, she's very well respected. Plus the pics of the cakes she's done are amazing!! and the price is awesome too!
We're getting married 13th June 2010. When are you getting married??

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Leah, that's so funny! I can picture you guys doing exactly what we did ... just going for a nice walk in the sunshine, then, hang on ... here would be perfect! Anyway!! That's pretty much what we did!! I'm definitely planning on using Epicure, just haven't got myself organised to do anything about it yet!! That'd be great if you could let me know when she's coming down.
Have you got any pictures of Marie Smith's cakes? Or just looked at them when you were up there? I'm so unorganised but we're not getting married until April 2011 so we've still got a bit of time yet!!

Leah3810

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 pm

bronmelbourne wrote:
Leah, that's so funny! I can picture you guys doing exactly what we did ... just going for a nice walk in the sunshine, then, hang on ... here would be perfect! Anyway!! That's pretty much what we did!! I'm definitely planning on using Epicure, just haven't got myself organised to do anything about it yet!! That'd be great if you could let me know when she's coming down.
Have you got any pictures of Marie Smith's cakes? Or just looked at them when you were up there? I'm so unorganised but we're not getting married until April 2011 so we've still got a bit of time yet!!

No i havent got any pics of her cakes, just looked at them when we were here. Maybe you could make a thread for people to post her pics? I pretty much knew what I wanted so I just gave her the pic and she talked about how she would make it etc etc... Plus she's giving me a discount coz im supplying my own silk flowers for the cake.

April 2011 is awesome, its handy starting to plan so far ahead. Heaps of people thought I was crazy when I started planning 12 months ahead but Im so glad I did because it's all sorted and Ive already paid heaps off it...

Keep us posted as to where you're up to!!

kimberlina81

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Just thought I would pop into the Mag Is thread (a Townsvillian here)....

Marie Smith has a really good name in Townsville. I didn't use her (made my own). Janine's Cake Art is also huge. Not sure what their prices are like though. Another one that I did look at was Stacey's Iced Delights - http://www.staceysiceddelights.com She seemed lovely and very reasonably priced but I still decided to make my own. She was even willing to ice my cake that I had baked.

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks Kimberlina & Leah! I'm prob not quite up to the cake stage yet but I don't really know how far in advance I should be doing things! Will have to do some research and get one of those planners! I'll have to pm you guys when I get up to that and get some contact details from either of you. It seems like time is going so quickly. It seems like only yesterday that it was around two years to go, where has the last eight months gone!!

Katherine85

Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 am

Hi Everyone!
Thought it's time I posted something as I've been busy reading all of the other wedding details about Maggie! My FH and I will also be getting married on the island but not until the 18 Sept 2010. We've booked the reception to be held at the restaurant at Peppers Blue on Blue Resort, photographer who is Trina Ryland and also the cupcakes by Happy Cakes... but that's about all we've done so far! My FH is currently overseas and won't be home for a few more months so it feels like I'm in limbo trying to work out what I should do next without him :?
Anyway... its been great hearing about all of your upcoming weddings on the island, I've definitely got some new ideas from everyone so thanks! I especially love the ceremony set up mrslittle is having - is that organised through Magnetic Island Weddings?

Looking forward to sharing plans with you all about our wedding and getting some more great ideas from you!

Katherine :D

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi Katherine! Good luck planning your wedding on Magnetic Island! Mine's not until even later than yours, it's not until 16th April, 2011. Seems so far away at the moment!!

Kimberley28

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 am

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum stuff but am so keen to bounce ideas off people going through the same things as myself. Please bare me though while I get used to the threads, posts and replies etc.
I am also getting married on Magentic Island. Our wedding date is June 26th 2010 so it is only 6 months away. Scary! We chose to have the ceremony down the far end of Picnic Bay as it is quieter up there with the backdrop of the sea and the rocks and a nice grassy area. Our reception is in the Cleveland Room at All Seasons Magnetic Resort. Rachel Sedon is our co-ordinator and we couldn't have asked for a better person for the job. I am on a break from Uni at the moment so I am trying to finalise everything before I go back as my wedding is only 1 week after exams. I wanted to go through Townsville Flower Market however I almost had a heart attack when I got a quote back from them. I am waiting on a few other quotes but I think I might change the flowers I want. I really just want something very simple. Our theme is lemon (darker lemon), white and black. I also had a heart attack when I got my first quote for our cake too. I think I will try Marie Smith as I have heard a lot of good things about her too. Am trying to find wedding sashes cheap....any ideas? All your suggestions so far are great and thanks for baring with this forum virgin. :?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.4