A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

ellec
Topic Author

travelling with dress airline

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm

just wondering how people went travelling with thier wedding dresses on board flights? i fly out next week to bali with jetstar and wonder if my dress will be safe :D

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Re: travelling with dress airline

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I haven't had my wedding yet (thailand :D ) but my dress will be carry-on - not risking it accidentally flying to a different country! Mines pretty simple and slimline though - if you have something with a big skirt it might be a little harder to not wrinkle it!

Im going with jetstar too and will probably lay the dress bag flat on the bottom of the overhead compartment :wink:

mistresslizz

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 pm

i travelled with virgin, and the flight over was great, but the flight was only 1/2 full so i got a whole space up the top for my dress to be laid out.. i carried the dress in agarment bag. and his suit in another..

the way back was very hard as the fli8ght was booked solid...so it got a little squished then.. but i guess that was less important

kowie

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Ask the cabin crew If they can hang it up in the closet for you that's what I plan to do. Just make sure it has a plastic hanger- not sure about the metal ones being allowed onboard - and have it in a sturdy garment bag.

mistresslizz

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:18 pm

virgin do not have closets...

trice_ie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm

I took mine to Ireland as carry on across 3 different flights and all of the cabin crew hung it up for me. Just go to the gate before they board and say it to person there, on one of our flights i even got to board first.

Flew with Qantas and Etihad they were great

west84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I have to take my dress from Adelaide to Darwin. I've heard Qantas are good for looking after those sorts of things, so I'll make a special effort to fly with them with my dress.

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 am

I have to travel Perth-Brisbane-Darwin-Perth and am flying with Qantas so it's a big relief to hear that they have a reputation for looking after things like this. Mine isn't a big 'poofy' dress, so fingers crossed that it all goes to plan.

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:07 am

I travelled from Sydney to Ballina with BM dresses with Jetstar & they DON'T have those long hanging closets (I asked). As far as I'm aware the larger planes don't either. I was told that I had to lay them across the top once everyones luggage was in there. This was really difficult as they barely fit & got pretty crushed. I was supposed to bring my dress up this way too but after that experience there was no way so my parents drove up with it. Obviously that's not an option for you but just remember that you can always iron it once you get there. Mine was silk satin & my dressmaker suggested ironing it over steaming. Just make sure it's low temp, do it from the inside & use a sheet or something in between the iron & the dress. Hope that helps.

MrsNukeie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:38 am

I was originally going to fly from Melbourne to Adelaide but am now going to drive - I emailed Virgin Blue in regards to flying with my dress & received the following reponse

There are certainly options for you to travel with your dress. Wedding dresses can be transported as carry-on baggage and are usually laid on top of the baggage in an overhead locker, as our aircraft are not fitted with a coat rack to hang them up.

If you wish to transport your dress as part of your carry-on baggage allowance, please advise one of our Cabin Crew when you enter the aircraft, and they will be more than happy to assist you in storing your
dress.

I have also provided the approximate dimensions for an overhead locker, in the mid-section of our largest aircraft. The dimensions are as follows;

Length = 2m
Depth = 65cm
Height (at opening) = 27cm

Please note: These measurements are estimates and are only provided to help you make a decision about carrying the dress as carry-on or checked-in baggage.
The lockers may not be large enough to lay the dress down flat (length
ways) without folding it in some places. Please also keep in mind that the overhead lockers are designed to hold more than one Guest's belongings, and a locker of this size could be used by up to six passengers.

Alternatively, you could transport the dress as checked-in baggage. We would strongly recommend you place the dress into a hard shell suitcase (rather than a dress bag) to avoid the dress from being crushed, and also from any accidental damage during take-off, landing or during turbulence.

Another option is to pack your dress in a long and narrow flat box, and tape the dress down to one side of the box (obviously the gown will need to be in a suit pack or garment bag). You can purchase these odd sized boxes from Removalist Companies, or alternatively, cut and assemble a regular storage box to the desired size.

Once you are at the airport, the box will then need to be checked-in as oversized luggage at the 'bulky baggage' section.

Dee in Port Douglas

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Girls, just do your research and find a drycleaner who presses wedding dresses at your destination. It normally costs between $30-$50... not really such a big deal. Most certainly take it as carry on luggage. Just in case.... but it's really not that hard to get it pressed. You will probably want to do it even if you drive with it in the car hanging up.

mistresslizz

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:23 am

we got married again in america after our wedding in Fiji.. yes we did the trashed vegas thing :)

quantas were not much help at all with the dress i had for that, it was not the same dress i had in Fiji, but i still didnt want to pack in in suitcase.we flew over on the new airbus, and there was no closet available to hang it in on that.. so i lay over other peoples stuff in the over head
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36