A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

petesbride2be
Topic Author

Bali Villa Wedding.. I need your advice!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 am

Hello everyone!

We have decided to get married in bali.. although we have never been there before. I know right? we must be crazy! hehe

I know people will say to get a wedding organizer but so far i have emailed 9.. yes 9! and no one is getting back to me efficiently?? i know its a busy time for them but with june only 10 months away i need to secure a venue asap so im finding im having to do alot of it myself.

We are on a fairly tight budget as we are paying for it ourselves. I canceled my $25k hunter valley wedding because i sat down one night and thought.. wait.. what a complete waste of money for 8 hours? So the idea behind bali is that its a small, intimate ceremony with our selected few loved ones and we want value for money. Also we dont want to spend a fortune!

Location in bali doesnt phase us to much. Obviously we would like a nice area out of the hustle and bustle that i hear kuta is, but we are more interested in nice scenery and venue. We only want 15-20 guests and want to avoid paying an event fee. We want cocktails and canapes served after the ceremony and nice intimate dinner with cake as desert. Ideally a villa that has a chef and is willing to cook for our small group would be wonderful. We are thinking of asking all guests to buy spirits duty free on the way over and we will reimburse them. Do you think they will allow us to use this for cocktails?

We have decided we would like a Villa wedding, our budget for a villa is maximum $200 per room.. for example for a 5 bedroom villa a budget of $1000 per night. We would love a beach front or clifftop villa with a nice outlook fore a sunset ceremony but this is not essential. Does anyone have any recomendations? We also want something with a bali feel to it, not just a big nice house.

I found a photographer with what seems like really reasonable packages and nice pics, they also do hair and makeup-
http://www.iwanphotographybali.com/bali ... tin-julie/
has anyone used them before?

Also cakes by Ixora cakes-
http://www.ixoracakes.com/
Anyone dealt with these?

We are very excited about our destination wedding but would love some help and advice! thank you xx

Tad

Re: Bali Villa Wedding.. I need your advice!

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Hello and congratulations :)

Well it sounds like you want exactly what I am planning (except what started as 10 guests is now 30!), so hopefully I can help :)

We are having ours at this small-ish beach resort in Tanjung Benoa ( http://www.thebalikhama.com ) the street name is Jalan Pratama. We have been there a couple of times, it really is a beautiful and peaceful area and all the beach resorts along this strip are lovely.

I'm not using a planner, I got a few quotes (from the ones that actually responded!) and thought it was a waste of money. I just deal directly with the venue's sales manager, she is very helpful and her English is good. I'm really glad I didn't end up using a planner, although most girls in this forum swear by them. If you don't end up using a planner just make sure you bargain with the venue manager with every price before paying any deposits, I was surprised how much I could haggle the price down!

Not familiar with this photographer, I am using Veli (Yellow Bali), he seems very professional, and judging by the work on his website I know it will suit our style so I'm happy with my choice.

Anyway, that's enough about me, I could go on and on. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know. And good luck with all your planning :)

Tad

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Ooh I forgot about the duty free, that's what we are doing and the venue are charging us $10 per bottle for "corkage" fee (and I made sure they put that in the contract!). Still good value compared to their cocktail prices.

Cherylbell13

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi I'm based in wa and organise weddings in Bali I can send you a info pack if you like, I even was married in Bali last year 09 and it was not a stress at all I can help you with hair, photography, videos, guest gifts, food, drinks, beach/villa/chapel weddings also I work closely with a travel agent to get you the best deals on accom and flights regards Cheryl :D

nata_mcd

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:41 pm

petesbride2be, I would like to recommend you a wedding organizer in Bali,
his name is Ketut (murtaketut@yahoo.com),
we organize the wedding for me and my husband and our guests for rather cheap price (comparing to wedding agencies' rates).
And one more thing, I like from him - he answer very quick)))

bali_bride

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Ixora cakes are good... we're going through them for our wedding in October but was a little disappointed with them in May this year as we went to Bali to check venues, meet florist, hair and makeup meeting and try cakes...
We had an appointment with the owner of Ixora and when we showed up, he wasn't there and it was his assistant there who did not speak english.

intan

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:12 am

petesbride2be wrote:
Hello everyone!

We have decided to get married in bali.. although we have never been there before. I know right? we must be crazy! hehe

I know people will say to get a wedding organizer but so far i have emailed 9.. yes 9! and no one is getting back to me efficiently?? i know its a busy time for them but with june only 10 months away i need to secure a venue asap so im finding im having to do alot of it myself.

We are on a fairly tight budget as we are paying for it ourselves. I canceled my $25k hunter valley wedding because i sat down one night and thought.. wait.. what a complete waste of money for 8 hours? So the idea behind bali is that its a small, intimate ceremony with our selected few loved ones and we want value for money. Also we dont want to spend a fortune!

Location in bali doesnt phase us to much. Obviously we would like a nice area out of the hustle and bustle that i hear kuta is, but we are more interested in nice scenery and venue. We only want 15-20 guests and want to avoid paying an event fee. We want cocktails and canapes served after the ceremony and nice intimate dinner with cake as desert. Ideally a villa that has a chef and is willing to cook for our small group would be wonderful. We are thinking of asking all guests to buy spirits duty free on the way over and we will reimburse them. Do you think they will allow us to use this for cocktails?

We have decided we would like a Villa wedding, our budget for a villa is maximum $200 per room.. for example for a 5 bedroom villa a budget of $1000 per night. We would love a beach front or clifftop villa with a nice outlook fore a sunset ceremony but this is not essential. Does anyone have any recomendations? We also want something with a bali feel to it, not just a big nice house.

I found a photographer with what seems like really reasonable packages and nice pics, they also do hair and makeup-
http://www.iwanphotographybali.com/bali ... tin-julie/
has anyone used them before?

Also cakes by Ixora cakes-
http://www.ixoracakes.com/
Anyone dealt with these?

We are very excited about our destination wedding but would love some help and advice! thank you xx

Hello petesbride2be!
I think this wedding organizer can help you as they customize a wedding package based on your needs. Check them out http://www.heavenlybaliweddings.com

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

Hi
Im getting married too in October next year, I'm going with a planner from Bali Mystical weddings, she is awesome and her response time to emails are good.
Take a look at http://www.prestigebalivillas.com/ for ideas on different Villas.. I'm thinking my total will be about 15K.

bintuni

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 am

why you not try only rental venue at villa. your guest will be stay at other places.
I have found this page : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb ... 266&ref=mf
Image. it showing romantic beach wedding. I have contact the couple and the photographer, and they said 4 room, make up, decorations, photographer cost not over then USD$3500.
You can check with them. I hope this will help.

chezong
Almost there
Almost there

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:59 am

hi petesbride2be,

You've described something very similar to what I want as well. I've done a lot of research online and can't find any villas that seem affordable with clifftop / ocean views and big enough to host a wedding except maybe one called Bulan Putih. Heard of it? Care to share your findings?

and hi to bali_bride,

I checked out Ixora cakes website....thot their quotes seems a little pricey...is that the standard in Bali? Do they offer a free cake tasting? I'm making a trip in oct and hope to inspect some villas too - as potential venues. May I ask whether u are using a planner and did they bring you to these venues while u were there? Do they charge for that? Can i also ask how much u paid for your hair & make-up trial? I wld love to do one also. Appreciate your help. thx

bali_bride1
Almost there
Almost there

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi chezong,

We attempted to plan our wedding alone but things got too complicated and stressful! I would rather pay the extra $$$ and have someone do it all for me. We did organize a bit ourselves... flowers, hair and makeup, cake - only because we had already started that before speaking with a planner.

When we were in Bali checking out venues, we didn't have a wedding planner then so we went out alone to look at places. Decided on Bali Garden Resort... once we made up our mind where... we decided to use a planner - the legal side of things concerned me but that's all sorted for us now.

I believe Ixora cake's are a bit more pricey than other companies but my FH and I were worried about getting a horrible cake. And Ixora did offer free cake testing... we were both very happy with them.

I paid around $80 from my hair and makeup trial, I was very happy with her as she came to our villa and showed me a few different styles. I contacted a few other hair and makeup artists before getting to bali and they all wanted $180+ for the trial! It shows you should shop around!

chezong
Almost there
Almost there

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow $80 for a few different hair styles? I thought they can only do 1.
That sounds like a great great deal. Would you mind sharing the name & contact of your stylist?

I'm hoping to meet with at least 2 planners on my visit to Bali and then choose one while I'm there so that we can still discuss the theme, colors, flowers etc... I like the sound of Chic Events - Donna's email was very professional but she's asking for about US3000 which is higher than the others. Still considering and weighing up the options... soooo many things to DECIDE on. hehe!

chezong
Almost there
Almost there

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Sorry got another question that I need advice on...if anyone cld help.

Am planning a trip to Bali in oct to confirm a venue and hoping to check them out in person as sometimes you can't get a feel of it from the website.

How do you inspect potential villas that you like if they are already booked while you're in Bali for your preparations etc? Is this just all based on your luck that it's available? Or are there special requests that we can make to the villa management for a sneak peek into their grounds?? I'm assuming that I cld try to arrange an appt with the villa...but they could easily get a last minute booking for the time that I want to inspect.

baxta

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi there, it is hard to get in to see villa's especially during busy periods. I booked a villa based on reviews and pics, during a recent trip to Bali I was hoping to see it, its the Istana, but it was booked back to back, there are new ones popping up all of the time, the local expats always hear about the best ones, elite havens have the best portfolio, it depends how many guests you have, which are is your favorite in Bali etc. :( I am having trouble with make up artists, the one I was recommended by friends is over $300 AUD for a trial, and $280 pp for hair & make up, rather high for Bali? Any suggestions anyone????

baxta

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Sorry bit confused? In any case, if anyone has some recommendations for a make up artist in Bali, that would be great!!! :P

bali_bride1
Almost there
Almost there

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:13 pm

chezong wrote:
Wow $80 for a few different hair styles? I thought they can only do 1.
That sounds like a great great deal. Would you mind sharing the name & contact of your stylist?

I'm hoping to meet with at least 2 planners on my visit to Bali and then choose one while I'm there so that we can still discuss the theme, colors, flowers etc... I like the sound of Chic Events - Donna's email was very professional but she's asking for about US3000 which is higher than the others. Still considering and weighing up the options... soooo many things to DECIDE on. hehe!

I thought it was only for one style too but she showed me a few so I was really impressed. The website is http://www.bali-edge.com
I found her on facebook and then came across the website.... the owner is from Australia.

Good luck! Let us know if you have a trial

bali_bride1
Almost there
Almost there

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm

baxta wrote:
Hi there, it is hard to get in to see villa's especially during busy periods. I booked a villa based on reviews and pics, during a recent trip to Bali I was hoping to see it, its the Istana, but it was booked back to back, there are new ones popping up all of the time, the local expats always hear about the best ones, elite havens have the best portfolio, it depends how many guests you have, which are is your favorite in Bali etc. :( I am having trouble with make up artists, the one I was recommended by friends is over $300 AUD for a trial, and $280 pp for hair & make up, rather high for Bali? Any suggestions anyone????

$300 for a trial? That's a bit extensive? The most I was quoted for a trial was $180, and then on the wedding day it was the same.

I'm paying $80 for my trial hair and makeup, and $150 for the wedding day, my bridesmaids were around $120 each....

I would keep looking around...

baxta

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Can I ask which company you are using? :lol:

chezong
Almost there
Almost there

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 am

hi baxta - i just got another quote. This is from Studio 5 - they have a salon in Seminyak. They quoted hair & make up for USD154 trial. I still think that's pretty expensive...so I'm still searching too. Am finding it really hard to find anything over the internet...and most of them don't post photos of their previous work...so its hard to know whether they're any good.

Have booked my trip to Bali - going on 22nd Oct. Hoping to confirm a wedding planner AND venue during that time. Fingers crossed I can inspect some villas. I have like 6 chosen...in case some of them are occupied while I'm there. I liked the Istana too...but it's already fully booked for April, May and June next yr which is the time I'm hoping to get married. When's your wedding date?

bali_bride1
Almost there
Almost there

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:25 pm

baxta wrote:
Can I ask which company you are using? :lol:

We're using Ixora Cakes... they're a little pricey but I think they're worth it.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.63