A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

NLW

Re: Real Brides: Port Douglas Weddings

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post and I wanted to say what a fantastic resource this forum has been !

Does any one have any feedback on Harrisons' in PD as a reception venue ??

Also I would love to have my reception filled with hundreds of flowers so I was thinking of going through a flower wholesaler,( maybe driving to Cairns the day before). Has anyone out there done this??

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

NLW

ash_1603

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello All,

This is a great resource for all brides to be and a helpful tool for all planning our destination wedding!! i have booked to have our wedding at Tree tops for October 2012. We are having a bit of trouble as we can only have to 100 guest but we are currently sitting at 120. The event coordinator said we can squeeze our guests in but it would jeopardise the dancefloor which is a big no no for us as all our family and friends are big dancers!! just wondering if anyone has had their reception at tree tops or knows anyone that has and has any tips, feedback, advice?? im particularly interested in the set up of the room also. We have booked the tree tops event centre which also includes the jacanda deck. We have booked millenium entertainment for mood lighting and also Danny from ME for our dj he has been great so far!!

Cant wait to hear more about these beautiful port douglas weddings!! :P

daisyfizz

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi everyone,
my first post on here and i'm very excited! We just booked our wedding for next year in Port douglas and hadn't realised how late we had left it..lots of the reception venues and dates at st mary's were already booked out. After reading all your posts on here I can see that a few of you have had these things booked for a very long time!
We are a 'second time round' couple, even though I wasnt actually married to my first partner of 13 years. I have 4 kids, my boyfriend has one and we just had a very sweet little baby girl together a couple of months ago. (fingers crossed she will be a walking flower girl next year!). We have given all the kids jobs for the ceremony..my 13 year old is walking me down the aisle..
So on July 5th we are having a 3pm ceremony at St Mary's (Kay earl the celebrant) followed by reception at Lure. We have booked a penthouse at Sea Temple for 3 days so will be having everyone over for drinks and bbq on the roof the night before. We are leaving the kids with family afterwards and 4wd'ing up to Bloomfield Lodge for our honeymoon.
And that is as far as we have got! we are still working our budget out and then we'll know how many people we can invite. I'm imagining that we may have about 30/40 people including quite a few from overseas and down south (we live in Cairns).

Victoria - I dont know about the dancefloor at Lure but we are popping up to PD for a night on Oct 25th and going to Lure for brekky so I can check it out for you. I hadnt even thought about any of that stuff yet so it will be good to do some research....

Im feeling very lucky to be getting married in such a special place with all our family. looking forward to chatting to you girls over the next few months and exchanging ideas.
:D :D :D

pennyw74

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I just want to get some ideas please.

I'm looking at a wedding of maybe 15-20 people in the Port Douglas area.

I know nothing about the place, except that it's pretty and the weather is gorgeous.

Any suggestions?

I don't want anything fancy - it will just be immediate family.

Thank you.

daisyfizz

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey Pennyw74,

What time of year are you planning your wedding? What do you mean by not wanting anything fancy?? If you just want good quality food that isnt too flash I would recommend going to http://www.portdouglasyachtclub.com.au. It is in a stunning location and is very reasonably priced and you can pretty much get in there any night except Wednesday. The next level up from that is something like Lure restaurant (this is where we have booked). I think 20 might be minimum numbers there but you get the whole place to yourselves. Lure is at the marina - a beautiful spot.
There are so many other restaurants in PD. If i only had 15/20 I would be booking at Nautilus which is my favourite restaurant in the world - it is expensive.
A lot of the resorts do weddings as well but most of them are pretty expensive. The mirage has a lovely little chapel, you could marry there and have your reception there too.
We are getting married in St MArys which is such a beautiful little chapel...I was up there last week having a look at the inside and nearly cried it is so pretty..it has big open windows behind the altar thing that look out on the palm trees and ocean

Shout out if you have any other questions. I just live in Cairns and go to Port quite regularly so I may be able to help.

:) :)

tanzyn

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Everyone!

First post here from a soon to be Port Douglas bride :heart:

We're getting married in Rex Smeal Park & our reception will be on the Sugar Wharf on 12th October 2012, have got about 70 of our nearest & dearest joining us.

Being in WA and never having visited PD I've found this thread so helpful!

But I'd love to hear form other brides about their reviews for DJ's in the area....Ive looked at Millennium Events from Cairns and Nick from Tropicana in PD.

Really stuck on which way to go....so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tan x

ash_1603

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello Tan,

I have also booked our wedding in Rex Smeal Park for the 11th October 2012!! I have booked with Dan from millenium entertainment. He was so helpful and is giving us a few discounts as our wedding is on a weekday. He also allows you to make your own playlist and meets with you before hand to make sure everything on the night is suited to your needs. Im pretty confident with my booking with him and only hope it all comes together nicely. Good Luck!!

Ash :D

tanzyn

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your advice on ME - think we will go woth Dan, he has been really helpful.

Wow one day apart! How are your wedding plans coming along?

Tan xx

ash_1603

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Glad to hear your happy with Dan also Tan,

Yes only one day apart!! amazing!! Wedding plans are coming together pretty smoothly so far (Fingers crossed that continues). Its Just a little hard when making decisions without going and meeting with people. We have booked our reception at tree tops aka Ramada spa resort now, They have been very helpful also which has helped and they were also one of the few that could cater for our 100 guests at a reasonable and affordable price!! We have booked a house in Garrick street for ourselves and bridal party which should be alot of fun and then next will be all the cosmetic things like dresses, suits or in our case pants and shirts, and all the other nitty gritty details. How about you?? Hope everything has been running smoothly for you.

Talk soon

Ash :D

tanzyn

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Ash,

Sounds like your on top of everything! Im down to the fiddly stuff now as well. And couldnt agree more with how hard it is not being able to meet anyone and just having to go with your gut feeling and other peoples recommendations.

I'm just stuck on finding a good hairdresser now, not sure whether to go with one from Cairns or just stick to Port Douglas.

Its nice we can count down together, oh and have sneak peek of each others weddings over there!

Tan :D

ash_1603

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Hello Tan,

My hair and make up is booked with Blush hair and makeup they are located in cairns http://www.blushmakeup.com.au/. They were the preferred supplier for hair and makeup when i booked our ceremony package with port douglas weddings. I think the next thing for me is going wedding dress shopping. This will make things a bit more real i think!!

Ash

Klbar

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi All,

I am getting married on October 20th at the Sea Temple Resort & Spa in Port Douglas... and i am looking for some help/recommendations/suggestions on wedding entertainment/bands? I am from Victoria and finding it very difficult to find something online and seem to be quite limited. I have been suggested Rusell Harris & i have been in contact with MEA entertainment but i am hesitant due to their pricing.

90% of our guests will be under 30 and we would prefer less 'pub' music & more top 40/pop/party... and id prefer a band rather than a DJ.

If anyone is able to give me some suggestions that would appreciated :)

Thank you

christinaj

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi ladies and gents
There is a new wedding website for Cairns to Port Douglas and its called http://www.registeryourwedding.com.au It has all of the local wedding suppliers in the one place to save you from spending hour upon hour Googling all over the place along with a few extra bonuses like easy to use tools so you can build your own website check out all the local accommodation and tours and there are great group discount rates as well and the big bonus is its free.
Wedding Planners, Celebrants, Videographers, Florists, Hairdressers, Entertainment its all there
Go and take a look you will love it and there are locals on the other end of the phone to help give you all the information you may not have found yet

nickyd81

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,
This forum has been so helpful! I am a WA bride getting married in PD next year and this is my first post.
I wondered if anyone has advice on a celebrant. I would have loved Natasha but she will no longer be in Port Douglas next year and Sarah Woods is unavailable. They were my first choices. Now, I have no idea who to go with. Port Douglas Weddings have suggested Kay Earl or Rosina Santarossa. Has anyone used these celebrants before or have other recommendations?

bpk

Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 pm

I have worked with both Kay Earl and Rosina S and they are both lovely and good at what they do...

Kourtz88

Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am from Western Australia and we would like to ge tmarried in Port Douglas next year around May/June. I have found the Sea Temple Country Club on the internet and it looks really nice, has anyone been married or been to a wedding here before? If so what is it like?

Thank you :)

Kourtney

douglas13

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi everyone!

This is my first post - we r getting married next year at St Mary's by the Sea. I've read through this post a few times but does anyone have more recent advice (2012) about hair and makeup- photography etc? :D

At this stage we are going to book the Lure for our reception.

St mary's is a non-denonimational chapel,ive arranged for a priest to marry us as (i'm Catholic but My FH is not) but I have to write a letter of dispensation to get married outside the catholic. Is there any married people out there who can help me with the wording of has a letter I have to write to the bishop of Queensland? I know I should ask my parish priest but we are having a surprise wedding that only our immediate families will know about and I know a lot of people in my parish including the parish secretary and i really need things to stay a secret!

marquis

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Got married at Port Douglas recently.

Rain Forest Estate was a very good location to get married (after seeing st Mary's and the wharf - we were very glad we picked Rain Forest Estate) but I suggest a limit of about 30 to 40 people (we had 30)
PD Catering did a good job in regards to the food (although there was a mixup with having three main meal options instead of two - no big deal)
SASS Studios did a good job of the photos
Playback Films (Luke) makes a good video (import from gold coast area)
Blush Hair & Make Up was very fast and very good
Blush Floral - did a good job at the flowers (fully delivered and Rachel? setup the flowers on table etc - from cairns)
Natasha Kollosche - Celebrant was very good

Rain Forest Estate has two buildings (main and a villa) so bride and groom can be separate on the day up until the wedding without any issues, everybody else can be bused in.

liv1983

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Girls,

Im getting married in Port Douglas next year Monday 10th June, ceremony at St Marys by the Sea chapel and then reception at Sugar Wharf. We are having about 60 guests. Im from Melbourne and was up there a few weeks ago to start organising and booking everything, so just wanting to share my experience so far.

So far have booked...
Chapel - St Marys by the Sea
Celebrant - Kay Earl through Port Douglas Weddings which have been fantastic so far in answering all my questions and getting back to me.
Reception - Sugar Wharf through PD Catering which are also fantastic in reply to my emails. and am searching all over the net for photos and ideas on how to decorate the sugar wharf.
Photographer - Shaun Guest - love his photos.
Make up/hair - most likely Blush Hair and Make up, seen lots of good reviews on them.
Flowers - still not sure if to go with a florist in port douglas or cairns??
Transport - wanting a limo, but finding it hard to find a limo to fit 10 people (bridal party) unless we go with a hummer limo but they are pricey!!!

Also, having trouble deciding whether to do photos first then ceremony and reception, or ceremony first then photos and reception... ahhhh sooo many decisions.

Looking forwarding to seeing your photos FNQBride2013. :)

Kourtz88

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm

I have also booked our ceremony at St Mary's by The Sea and our Reception is at the Sea Temple Country Club on the 18th June 13. We are have chosen Matthew Evans as our photographer and now need to make a decision on a celebrant :roll:

I would love to see photos also :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15