A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: December 2012

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am

Waiting is definitely not something I do well!

I've sent off photos of the dress to my FMIL and have asked her to come to my fitting in about 6 months. That will also mean she will get to meet my mum for the first time! Originally we were just going to let our families meet one or two days before the wedding, as my family are in Sydney and FH's are in Adelaide, but I think it would be nice for the mums to meet beforehand.

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:07 pm

So I've made a little bit more progress on the planning front... the reception venue, photographer, and DJ are all booked. I've also booked accommodation for both our families for the wedding, and a suite for us post-wedding. We have a meeting mid-April with our potential celebrant, she's not available this weekend, then next weekend is Easter, so it had to be the weekend after that. I'm going to set up meetings for flowers and cakes that same weekend... so hopefully I'll have another three big ticks on my checklist after that.

I have ordered my jewellery, and am starting to think about shoes. Because we won't have bridesmaids, I have to come up with ways I can incorporate my colour scheme... and I'm thinking fabulous red shoes! What do you think?

I've managed to talk FH into having a photo booth (yay!), and I think we will DIY it to save a little money. December is soooo far away and for some reason I really want to get stuck into making my invites, even though they won't go out until September. I think making photo booth props is a great way to distract my crafty side until July/August. Although knowing me, I'll get all the materials for the props and chuck them all together within 2 weeks and I'll be back to twiddling my thumbs!

How are the rest of you December ladies doing with your planning?

trish85

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh how funny, for some reason I have been wanting to start invitations too. I think it's because if they are organised it will feel as though the wedding is closer :D
I have decided on the style of my invitations and FH likes them too so that will have to be enough until July or August.

I picked up my dress yesterday and I'm so glad I love it more than I remembered! I've also bought shoes (bright blue) off eBay so they should arrive this week. I also bought a veil off Etsy but it hasn't arrived yet. I have emailed the seller twice as it has been over a month but still haven't heard anything. Annoying, especially as i want to see what my dress looks like with a veil!

I booked a 14 seater limo last week to drive us around for photos and to the reception. We are having a bridal party of 10 and really wanted to have everyone together.

I will be meeting with a photographer soon to have a look at her work, hopefully we will like her so I can get that out of the way.

In regards to flowers I have decided to go artificial and have quotes and pictures, now there is nothing to do but wait until closer to the date, which is what I wanted to happen. Nice and organised so i hopefully won't forget anything!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

Bright blue shoes sound awesome! Please post a pic when you receive them :)

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm the same!!! I want to do my invitations now too!! misteri82 I'm a bit like you... I need something to keep my little crafty fingers busy... I started working on labels for water bottles today... that took about an hour.. now i'm twiddling my thumbs again (until I can go to town and get all the stuff I need to actually make the labels - I just designed them today... and got them to the right size(hopefully) )

I pick up my dress this afternoon!!! Can't wait! I hope it's right and there are no dramas with it!

I love the idea of coloured shoes... I'm having turquoise... the same colour as my BM dresses. They were actually the first wedding thing I had... I purchased them before we even got engaged...not for the wedding.. just because I loved them... then a little while later I decided they would be perfect wedding shoes....so that was one less thing to think about. :D

Argh! December is so far away!!!!

trish85

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm

That's so good that you can use shoes you already had!
It seems like we have more than our wedding month in common.

When my shoes arrive I will post a photo, I will also post a photo of my dress.

With all the recent purchases we will have to start filling the pages with pictures :P

trish85

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I got a notification of a package in the mail last night and it is either my shoes or veil. I have to wait until Saturday morning to get to the post office so will be waiting impatiently!

I still can't decide whether to use a band or DJ. I have to decide in the next week or two, I'd love some opinions if you have been to weddings with a band or DJ...

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Ooh how exciting! Of course that means the rest of the week is going to drag by for you :(

We're having a DJ... I think it's just easier. We can give them as much or as little input into the play list, and if we don't like a particular band that's played, it's only one song! With a band definitely make sure you hear them play or even better would be to see them at a function!

How do they compare cost-wise?

trish85

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Ok, I think I have figured out how to re size the photos but I'm not 100% sure so sorry if the pics are huge!
My dress and my flowers :D

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08 am

Wow you look fantastic! The dress is gorgeous!

Love the flowers too... where are you getting them from?

trish85

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 am

Nawww thanks misteri. I'm a teeny bit worried about it not being a typically traditional dress but otherwise I love it. All the weddings I have been to have had more 'wedding-y' dresses (with a full skirt) so it will be a bit different to what my family and friends are used to.

In regards to DJ vs band, I much prefer live music however prefer the cost of a DJ! Bands are approx $1800 plus, and DJs are around $600 plus. Well, that is what a have been given for a couple of quotes for each.
I would love to say a band is what I want so its worth it, but with the guest list the way it is I feel like I would be sacrificing guests for the band as the cost is just creeping up. 137 guests and it is honestly barely any friends. We are thinking of cutting under 18s and inviting more friends (we have 27 kids on the list).
Has anyone else cut children?
I feel so guilty but FH is keen to not invite them. I did, however, look at a couple of threads on WC and it seems to be a common thing. I'm just worried as two close friends will have new babies (2 & 3 months old) and I think its a bit of an ask for them to be left home.

How are everyone else's plans going? I feel like I'm taking over this thread, haha!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:45 am

trish85 the dress looks gorgeous!! Of course it's wedding-y...it's what you want and its your wedding...so it's wedding-y! As for the situation with the children why don't you say no under 18's if that's what you want, but those with babies, say under 1 year or 6 months can bring the babies, it's a bit hard sometimes (esp if mums are breast feeding) to leave bub at home/with someone else at such a young age. Personally we are having kids at ours, I think there will be about 16, but these are our nieces and nephews and I could never leave them out of my wedding. Other kids though wont be invited (children of friends, cousins etc) unless they are babies and need to be with mum & dad.

I think we are going to go with a band - I agree that live entertainment is the best, but we are only going with a band because we were able to get a really good deal as these people are friends of a friend and they agreed to do it at the same price as the DJ I had booked!!! So that's awesome!

As for wedding plans.... argh!!! I got my dress the other day.... not happy! It's not the same as the sample I tried on... they have used different fabric in a couple of places and it really changes the feel of the dress. It is still a beautiful dress but I don't get that magical feeling when I put it on now. It doesn't feel right. So here begings the battle to get my money back.... and start all over again. The biggest problem is the shop I got it from has now closed down... so the sample gown isn't there anymore... so all I have is 1 photo to prove my case....however everyone I have shown can see the differences without me even pointing them out, so I think it should be ok. fingers crossed!!!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm

nickncarolyn1 that sucks! I hope it all works out for you. Lucky you still have enough time to sort out the dress once you get your money back!

trish85 - I think your dress is very wedding-y. If I saw someone wearing it on the street, I'd be wondering why they are wandering around wearing a wedding dress! You don't have to have the big skirt if it's not you.

I don't think you can avoid inviting the babies, but you won't need to provide them with a meal so it's not going to affect your budget. For us, we haven't really discussed if we're inviting kids or not. Not many of our guests have kids, so it's not much of an issue for us. We're expecting some of FH's friends that we've invited will come without their partners and kids because they have to travel from Adelaide. For our Canberra friends with kids, there's a mixture of ages but it's mostly babies/toddlers.

If we had 27 kids on the list I'd definitely be considering having the reception as over-18s only!

Ess

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Ladies, firstly, many congratulations to you all. As you can see from my footer I've been engaged for a while, but still haven't actually got a date set yet :? We have, however, been chatting about it over the past few days and I suggested 12/12/12 which is a Wednesday. Anyone have any thoughts on midweek weddings? I was thinking of making a longer celebration of it, by having everyone there from, say, Monday through til Friday, then they have the weekend to do whatever they like, go back home, etc. I guess there is nothing to say the wedding has to be at the end of the 'holiday'??

I am thinking of having a garden wedding or hire a lovely house for a group of us to stay in, with others staying nearby, and have the entire thing there. Part of me would have liked a beach wedding, but two of our friends have recently got married on Hamilton Island and Fiji respectively, so I don't really want to try to 'compete' - not that it would be a case of that, but I'd really like something different.

I appreciate that it sounds like I am 'thinking' a lot, but not actually doing a lot, but I really wanted your opinions and advice really, as (potentially) fellow December Brides. I have been on the site for a while and have a number of things already decided in my head (there are SO many talented people on here who are amazing crafters), it is just putting the plans in action. I appreciate I am leaving it a bit late as far as the dress, etc, goes as I see some of you are already in possession of yours and I haven't been into a shop yet lol!!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ess x

PS Trish85, I LOVE your dress, it is stunning and really suits you. No worries on it not being 'wedding-y', you wear what you want to your wedding! I'm not going to be having a full skirt either.

trish85

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:14 am

Nickcarolyn that's a real shame, I hope it works out for the best.

Welcome ess, I look forward to hearing about your plans.

I have told FH we are definitely inviting babies, as I would want that if it was my baby. He didn't try to talk me out of it, we don't usually have conflicting opinions so must have figured this was important to me.
Still not sure about toddlers and teenagers.

Misteri, I realised I didn't answer your question regarding the flowers. I am getting them from Millie at Wedding Bunches and Blooms. She has been lovely and even bought some flowers she didn't have to make up a test bouquet.
I haven't ordered them yet as it is still 8 months out, I will organise them probably in June.

Also my shoes arrived and they are in perfect condition! I got them off eBay, I don't have a picture in me but will try to take one tonight.
Now I just have to make sure I can wear them for hours...looks like I will be doing housework in heels :D

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:07 am

Well ladies, I have made a decision to sell the dress. Although it is beautiful it only reminds me of the situation and makes me infuriated! So if you know of any size 6-8 brides who are looking for a lovely gown already made, ready to go, send them my way! I have decided to try to sell it rather than try to get my money back through fair trading because it will probably take quite some time to go through the process (the process which cost $95 just to put in a complaint!), then I'm not even sure if I will get my money back once I have gone through the process... especially now she doesn't have the shop! On the fair trade website it states that their main aim is to stop it from happening to other people - not getting your money back... so if she's gone out of business they might not even bother. So I thought the quickest & easiest way would probably be to sell it.

In other news ... I think we have decided on Hamilton Island for our honeymoon! :D YAY!! I love decisions! It is so hard to get them out of FH!!! But now I can actually do something about it and start planning!!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Hamilton Island sounds beautiful! We are still deciding where we want to go for our honeymoon. We probably won't go away until January though. I asked FH if he wanted to do a wishing well and to my surprise he said yes, so the money from that will go towards our holiday. So we definitely need to have some ideas soon so that we can tell people when they ask!

Welcome Ess! I like the idea of a mid-week wedding, but if you were considering the 12th of December then I'd be concerned that it's too close to Christmas for people to take leave. Our workplace closes down on the 24th, so I wouldn't really want to take a week off for the wedding and then come back to work for only a week... but I also might not want to take off two weeks! How far would you be asking everyone to travel?

Long weekend this weekend! Anyone have anything exciting planned?

kritonylevtae

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Ladies
Im Kristen

Im Joining you as a December Bride

My Date is the 8th December =)
Im so excited i have a lot going on just trying to loose weight atm,
Im currently 6 weeks PP with my 2nd baby :heart:

Looking forward to sharing my experiences and journey with you

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Welcome Kristen! I look forward to reading about your plans :)

kritonylevtae

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 am

Thanks so much

Quick question what exactly have all you ladies done as far as planning ?

i have done the following

* Paid for flowers
* Paid for Doves
* Paid Ceremony Hire
* Paid Reception Hire
* Paid Dep on M/A
* Hair is Booked and Confirmed
* Photographer Booked and Dep Paid
* Celebrant is Booked and Dep Paid
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06