A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: December 2012

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone going? It's been a bit quiet here lately, just wondering how everyone's plans are coming along? Only 4.5 months to go!!

AFM - things are coming along well, I am heading to town this weekend to get the lining, zips & cotton for my bridesmaid dresses then taking it all + material to the dress maker next week. She is also going to be making my mums dress. So very excited to see them all when they are done! She thinks she'll only need a month! :D I got an ETA on my dress the other day (I am getting it from bridalgown.net) it should get to them about 22nd September ... then a couple of weeks to get to Aus, so fingers crossed I will have it by mid October. I think I will sleep a whole lot better after it arrives and I know it's perfect! I found some ties for the boys the other day - got them at the Tie Rack - they were $27 each + they had a buy 1 and get the 3rd free deal! Which was perfect as I needed 3! So I got all the ties for $54! Very happy with that! I am just going to get the dress maker to make them hanks out of left over bridesmaid dress material. FH and I ordered our wedding rings on Monday! They will probably take 2 weeks to come in...so we will have them well in advance, but they were having a sale so I thought we may as well buy them while they were a bit cheaper. I got 30% off mine & FH got 10% off his.

Still need to organise car/s - can't find any around our area that we like! :( don't know what we are going to do! Hopefully FH will pull through and find something - since it is the only thing he's organising in this whole wedding! Have to order the glass jars for our favours, organise the flowers, get the BM & GM & pageboy gifts, finalise the cake, put our invitations together and send them out (end of August) & do the OOS's and that's about all hopefully!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:59 pm

I still have tons to do and haven't really done any wedding stuff for the last month at all! We are off to the snow at the end of the month so I might take a morning/afternoon off skiing and suss out a make up artist and hairdresser. I think I would prefer a mobile one that comes to me, rather than having to drive into a shopfront on my wedding day. Which option are you ladies going with?

Four and a half months to go now!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 am

I am getting one that comes to us. She is going to come & do our spray tans, manis & pedis the day before as well.

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

I've finally gotten my act together and have booked my hair and make up. I managed to get some of the ladies in my family on board for the hairdresser so I was able to get one that comes to us. I'm getting my makeup done through the spa at the resort we're getting married at, so even if none of the others want to fork out $90 for makeup I will still be able to get it done in our chalet :)

I also bought the Polaroid camera off eBay for our photo booth... I can't wait to try it out!

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 am

4 months to go!

Aaaargh! Still so much to do! Invites are too of my list though!

I need to speak to my cateres first. We are having a 2 course alternate drop. But I want to taste the food and then ask if we can give the guests an option of the two on their invite so that they can eat what they want on the night.nni figured it can't hurt to ask!

Hope everyone else's plans are coming along well!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:33 am

8O CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ONLY 4 MONTHS!!!! How scary!!! ... and exciting!! :D

My invites are next on my to do list too! ... however....just having a think about it now it will still be a few weeks away... we're busy this weekend, then next weekend I'm away, so it will have to be the weekend after that! Mum wants to help, so will have to wait for a weekend to do them. I have everything cut and ready to go though, so it's just a matter of putting them together, putting them in envelopes, labeling & stamping them. So hopefully wont take too long. Then we'll send them off in September.

I've had a bit of a set back with my flowers - I was planning to have lavender for the buttonholes, the flowergirls bouquet and a few bits and pieces around the reception, but looks like I wont be able to get them as the will be out of season - they re flowering now! :( oh well... will just have to find something else. My florist is going to try to dry some lavender then spray them with some stuff she has to see if it will bring out the colour in them, - if it works we can use that, but I will need a back up plan in case it doesn't.

Only 2 months untill I should have my dress!! Although, I'm sure it will be a very long two months in that sense! I'm am getting so impatient already!!! I just want to have it in my hands to know it will be all ok!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Four months to go! I'm impatiently excited : )

This month I really need to make a start on my flowers (been saying that for a couple of months now!), and finish off my invites. We are going to go ring shopping next week, and hopefully also suit shopping.

FMIL is going to be coming to my dress fitting and she needs me to give her lots of notice so she can book flights to either Sydney or to us in Canberra, so I probably should call up the shop and find out when it will be in. I should be aiming to be my ideal weight by dress fitting time too... so I need to get serious about this diet and exercise thing!

nickncarolyn - I love lavender, I thought it flowered in spring? I hope your florist can figure out something for you.

miss-yvette - we are going to be doing a menu tasting too, but probably not until October. Apparently they update their menus with the seasons, so we have to wait until after winter for them to do that.

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi Ladies - just over 3 months to go!

How are things going for everyone? I have had a very busy week of wedding stuff.

Last Saturday we had tasted our wedding menu at Kingfisher Cafe. We were very happy with the choice of food. So we met with the chef on Friday afternoon and asked a few questions about our options. He was happy for us to give the guests the meal options on their RSVPs so we can tell them exact numbers of each meal they need to provide. It just means a bit of extra work on my side of things, when we do the seating plan I have to put what meals each guest is having, which isn't too much trouble. I would rather my guests get to choose what they want to eat.

So Friday night I ordered our invites and RSVP cards. I got express post so that they arrive this week and I can post them next week. Then I realised I was missing a few things on there (dress code, no children etc). So I have made up an A4 sheet of information to go with the invites. I will just get some nice paper and print these out at work. The same with the wishing well card. I will do that on some nice paper at work too. I just need to wait for the invites to arrive this week so I know what size to print things off.

Yesterday we went shopping at DFO while we were in Brisbane, trying to find FH some leather soled shoes for the wedding so that he can dance in them. It was very hard to find any. I think there were 3 pairs in the whole centre, but we didnt like any of the styles so we have to keep looking.

I did manage to get 3 matching clutches for my MOH, bridesmaid and myself, so I was pretty happy with that.

All the pics are in my show and tell if you want to go and look.

Mjulz87
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:02 pm

hey ladies!

how is everyone's planning going?

I think we have everyone booked, please remind me if I have forgotten anyone!

Venue for ceremony & reception - booked
Council fees paid (for hire of a beach - paid
Decorators - booked & decorations have been selected
Celebrant - booked
Photographer - booked
Acoustic guitarist - booked
Makeup artist - booked
Hairstylist - booked

Wedding dress - bought, need to pay off all owing monies. - ladies when do I get my first alterations done?? I think all I need done is the hem on my skirt so I don't trip over it. The bodice is a tie up so I don't think I need any alterations done.
Bridesmaids dress/s - bought
Flowergirl dress - bought
Shoes - OMG I still need to find some!!
Petticoat - I still need to get this too and before I do alterations so that means I need to get this...ASAP!
Veil - will get it this afternoon I think.

Groom's suit - bought - still to be paid off.
Groomsmens suits - still to be hired (actually i'll speak to my man on Wednesday about this because as of Saturday, it's 3 months to go!)
Shoes - can you believe he has his shoes before me!

Wedding rings - bought.

Save the dates - sent a long time ago.
Invitations - I cut them all up on the weekend and I'll be sending them this week. Should I enclose a self stamped return envelope? it's just I've done square invitations and it's $1.20 for postage.

Cake - Ordered

Flowers - I am DIY'ing so I actually need to buy all the things for this (ribbons/wiring/all that jazz)

Bombonieres - I'll start on these in November because I'm making them myself..sort of..I'm buying little jars and putting mints in them, and I'm making a little tag that says 'Mint to be'.

Guest book - bought...it's just a plain white book and I might get a photo from our engagement shoot and put it on the front cover inside or something..
Wishing well - purchased (we were going to hire one for $55 but we found one in the cheap shop for $15 - winner!!)

How is everyone else going??

to those 1 Dec 2012 brides, only 3 months and 4 days to go!!!!!!!!!!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 pm

It's getting close now! I've been procrastinating, but have managed to get some wedding stuff done this week.

We've ordered our rings from a jeweller in Sydney. FH is getting a palladium (white metal) ring with a slim groove in it. Mine is white gold with grain set diamonds (I think it's the same as pave setting - lots of tiny diamonds set very close together). The ring I'm getting is one that our jeweller was using as a demo ring, but they are resizing and replating it for me. If I were to buy this ring new it would be about $4500, but she is selling it to me for $2200, yay!

I've been thinking about timings for the day, as I'm about to print off our invitations and send them out. I have had to send a couple of questions to our venue and our photographer... need to figure out if our 3pm ceremony and 6pm reception is enough time. We're also debating taking the chair lift up from Thredbo for photos, if we do that will add almost an hour of travel time to our photo time.

I'm also trying to organise our menu tasting. The venue won't have their summer menu until mid October, and we have to have all our details to them by November 1st! So we'll be heading down in late October to do the menu tasting, and I need to book my hair and makeup trials for that weekend too. FH is very into mountain biking, so we are thinking that we will go down with some of his mates and they can go riding while I do my girly stuff.

Flowers - I'm still going with my origami idea but I haven't started on this yet. I REALLY need to get onto this... but this weekend and next are already packed!

Dress fitting - need to organise this... I'm now looking at October 15th. I was hoping for the weekend before, but Mum will be in Japan. I still need to talk to FMIL about if this works for her.

Bomboniere - we are doing personalised rock candy in glass jars. I have the jars already, and have a pack of candy that we need to taste test to pick a flavour. Can you believe that I've had that pack of candy sitting on my desk for months and months now?!

Wishing well - I purchased this last week from Etsy. It will take 5-6 weeks to construct and then hopefully 1 week to ship from the States.

Guestbook - this is next on my list!

Decorations - I need to gather more glass jars (I'm just using old food jars for flower centrepieces). I also need to purchase a lot of candles, but I might get Mum to do that from me because I want to get them from Ikea.

So... still lots and lots to do! Hopefully September will be a productive month for us... we definitely need to get some of this stuff done.

Mjulz87
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Isn't it crazy that a couple of months ago you come up with an idea to do something and you think "it's too early to do it now, I'll just do it closer to the date".......but as you get closer and closer, you can't find the spare time!

misteri82, we're having our ceremony at 3:30pm and our reception starts at 6:00pm, however, our reception location is steps away from the ceremony location.. in saying that, we're having about 1.5 hours for photo's? I wanted longer but my partner didn't want guests to be waiting too long.....even though the day is not about them! so fingers crossed we have enough time to get plenty of amazing photo's!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm

I don't really want our guests waiting around either... but most of them should be staying at the Resort where our ceremony and our reception will be, so I figure they can always just go back to their rooms and have a nap or watch TV! There's a bar but it's in the same room as our reception, so I hope none of them want to go in there until it's all set up and pretty. I think that I will gather a couple of esky's and put out some soft drinks and beer and they can help themselves. Maybe even some picnic blankets... if it's a sunny day it would be really nice to lounge around and have a couple of drinks in the sun!

Mjulz87
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Well I went to a wedding recently, and we had to drive from the ceremony to reception (about 25 minute drive) and then we checked into the resort where the wedding was, and waited in our room for about 45 minutes until the pre-drinks had started..... Our guests will be in the same position, as our reception is at our resort.. Guests don't usually complain about those sorts of things, I don't imagine so anyway. But I think if your ceremony starts at 3:00pm and your reception at 6:00pm, you have plenty of time for photo's and guests can mingle/check-in and what not! :)

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks, that's a really good point. Our resort has check in at 3pm, so it's possible that some people may not have checked in before our ceremony. The resort have said that they will try to make sure that the rooms are ready before 3pm, but if there are people checking out then they might not be ready early.

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Invites were posted today! Yay! I've given a few out by hand and those people RSVP'd straight away. Exciting time ahead! I love getting mail!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Congrats! That must be a nice feeling : )

I've been working on mine, got all my enclosure cards printed and cut. Just need to print, trim and attach the invite card to the pocketfold, assemble it all, add the ribbon and sticker, print off the address labels, add a stamp, and send! Hoping to get this all done tomorrow!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Two months to go!!!

I hope you ladies are going well with your planning! October is going to be a super busy month for me. I have my dress fitting in Sydney on October 15th, and we are hoping FMIL will be coming up with us, which means she'll probably be staying with us for a week or so. We have our menu tasting on Friday 26th, so we'll be going down to the Snowy Mountains for that. I'll also have my hair and makeup trials that weekend too, still need to confirm times for both.

THINGS TO DO THIS MONTH:
- Underwear: I need to find a strapless bra before my dress fitting. I went to DJ in Melbourne a few days ago but I didn't find anything I liked... well I found ones that I liked but they didn't like me. I will check out the DJ here and also some other stores this week.
- Reception details: We need to have our final numbers, menu choices, room layout, and basically all the reception details to our venue by November 1st, so we will have to make a lot of decisions this month
- Reception decorations: Our table decorations are mostly done. We have bought some smallish pillar candles and dishes to place these on, red crystal scatters, and I think I have collected enough jars to put my origami flowers in. I'm still making the flowers, but they are coming along very nicely. I still need to buy a bunch of tealight candles too.
- Music: Need to pick songs, haven't even started on this yet!
- FH: Need to choose outfit
- Bomboniere: Need to choose flavour and order
- Money: Need to make a bunch of payments this month, mostly balances for the big ticket items - accommodation, reception package, photographer, DJ, celebrant, wedding dress, the list goes on!
- Stationery: Seating plan, place cards, bomboniere tags, and various signs all need to be designed and printed

Lots and lots to do!
Last edited by misteri82 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 am

Eeeek!! How crazy! Only 2 months!!! 8O

I think I have most things organised, just have to:

Confirm cars
Buy water bottles & put our labels on them
Print out OOS sheets & decorate
Write out name tags
Complete seating plan - have a rough one done up, just need to wait for all my RSVP's.
Pick up cookies & put them into jars (a couple of days before the wedding)

Ummm... I think that's about all..... I'm planning to do a list today, so will update it if I think of anything else.

Hope everyone elses plans are going great!!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 am

Don't tell me it's just you and me left in this thread!!!

I invited my FMIL (who lives in Adelaide) to come to my first dress fitting, and she ummed and ahhed for aaaaages. She is looking for a job so she wasn't sure if she would have found something by now and wouldn't be able to take leave. But anyway, she's still looking so she's decided to come. But she only decided this on Monday! So FH and I have been madly cleaning the house the past two nights! We pick her up after work today, then we are heading up to Sydney on Saturday morning for a very busy weekend.

We'll be picking up our rings on Saturday and I'm so excited to see them! I really hope they fit perfectly. Then Sunday I will be bra shopping (stupid out of proportion boobs!), then Monday I'll have my fitting... I'm so excited!

I have made some payments this week, and our bank accounts are looking a little sad. Thank God today's pay day! Still have to pay off the reception package and the rest of the honeymoon, then everything after that will be much smaller amounts.

I checked my guest list this morning and while most of FH friend's have RSVPed, there are still so few from my side. I know these people are coming, they have told me that they've booked accomodation already, but how hard is it to tick a box, put your name on the card, and put it in the envelope that I have already addressed and stamped for you, and put it in the post! Even my two friends I see every day at work haven't done it yet! The deadline is next Friday... so they better get their butts in gear!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:40 am

Gah!!!! I was just about to finish writing a huge reply & we had a blackout & I lost it all!!! Damn it!! But I don't want to complain... it's because there's a big storm - which is fantastic because we really really need the rain!

So here we go again!

Yes! It looks like it's just the two of us! :D

Yay!!! Dress fitting!!! How exciting! It will be so lovely to have your FMIL there too. Mine doesn't want to do anything like that with me because she wants a surprise on the day. I am still waiting on my dress from bridalgown.net. I have told them the wedding is 3rd Nov, so hopefully it will be getting sent soon! They have 3 weeks to go!! I emailed them again yesterday about it, but haven't got a reply yet.

I did up all the kids activity books yesterday (thanks work :)). Now I just have to get them a lollipop each & a little box of crayons. They will have pencils on the table they can all use. And I have to find something for the babies that are too little to do the activity books.

I have still got a fair few big payments to go, but I have money put aside for them. They aren't due yet, so I thought it would be better sitting in my bank account earning interest then in theirs!

I still have a few weeks till the RSVP date, but I've got a fair few they haven't replied yet. At the moment there are 62 adults & 11 kids coming & about 23 still to reply - most of them are couples - so about 46 people. Not many of FH's family has replied yet, but his mum thinks most of them will come.

I still need to organise a make-up trial & a catch up with the photographer to find where we're going to get the location photos done. Other than that I think we are pretty organised.. Oh I've got to find some paper for the typewriter. I was also thinking I might find some sheets of pretty card and cut them into note size pieces & have them there as well, so if people don't want to type us a note they can write one. I thought about using vintage post cards, but if I put them into the guest book writing side up you wont see the post card anyway. I've got little envelopes to put the notes in, so they can be pulled out & read, so if I do up cards that will fit in them I think it should work ok.

I want to do up my OOS, but for some reason I'm holding back - I think in case something happens & someone doing a reading or something ends up not being able to do it/be there and their name will be on the sheet.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15