A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

carmen84
Topic Author

private ceremony

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Both my partner and I are both reserved people and I was happy eloping or having a small wedding. He was too but thought if we are inviting some of his family over from nz, they would want to come to the ceremony as well. If they knew that we were already married they prob wouldnt come.
Has anyone had a small ceremony with say 6-10 people and then have everyone come to our reception afterwards.

I think it would be rude the other way around e.g inviting lots of people to the ceremony but only choosing who we want at the reception.

At this stage we are having our ceremony and reception at the same place with around 40 guests, but the part i'm not looking forward to is the ceremony in front of everyone. I came across a celebrant who looks awesome who does elopement style weddings and it has just got me thinking.

Has anyone just been invited to a reception, knowing the bride and groom got hitched earlier privately?

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Re: private ceremony

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 pm

I did sort of. We married at my parent's house urgently because my mother was dying and my grandmother had had a flatline heart attack the month before, and we were worried that either of them may not be there if we delayed. There were only 11 people there at the ceremony, it was very spriritual and lovely. We announced the next day at a friend's birthday party that we had married. Then we had a separate big church wedding later with a reception for over 100 people. There is nothing wrong with separating the ceremony and reception. These days a lot of Brides have more to one than the other, usually the other way around though. In the end though, you two will have to decide what is best for you. At the risk of stirring a hornet's nest IMHO I believe that a wedding, baptism or other important milestone, is a family occasion.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 pm

I've seen it done, but I'm not really a fan personally. The ceremony to me is the important bit. I'd much rather see the ceremony only and no reception than not see the service.

seaweed wrote:
I did sort of. We married at my parent's house urgently because my mother was dying and my grandmother had had a flatline heart attack the month before, and we were worried that either of them may not be there if we delayed. There were only 11 people there at the ceremony, it was very spriritual and lovely. We announced the next day at a friend's birthday party that we had married. Then we had a separate big church wedding later with a reception for over 100 people. There is nothing wrong with separating the ceremony and reception. These days a lot of Brides have more to one than the other, usually the other way around though. In the end though, you two will have to decide what is best for you. At the risk of stirring a hornet's nest IMHO I believe that a wedding, baptism or other important milestone, is a family occasion.

This isn't quite the same. TYour guests still saw you make a public committment, and as long as they know it was a renewal (that you legally got married the day before) then this is fine.

carmen84
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks girls,
I meant for the ceremony just having his parents and my parents. But he was saying if his extended family were going to travel, they would only travel for the whole deal. They wouldnt bother coming over just for a reception.
I like that you said we wont notice all the people! i suppose its only 20mins or so, will just do it lol.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 03, 2013 6:27 pm

yes I have been invited to a reception where the couple had married quietly before hand with just their parents and siblings

no I wasnt offended as I understand that not everyone wants to share that moment for various reasons, I was just happy to be thought of for an invite and I still got to see them on their special day
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24