A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

purple_jelly
I survived and got married

Re: Newcastle / Hunter Valley Part 5

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi Lisamarie,

Our day went really well and all according to plan it was great - thanks!

I heard about Justin from a colleague at work, he did her wedding and christening shots of her kids and came highly recommended.

He put up a sneak peek on Facebook of 20 shots or so the day after our wedding which everyone has commented on seeing as it was so fast! We don't have the full set of images yet but what we have seen of the sneak peak on Facebook so far we are so happy with! And yep we're getting a disc of all the images with our package. Justin is so laid-back and nothing was too much trouble but at the same time was completely professional. So many guests have said how lovely he was on the day too.

If you have a look at his Facebook page you'll be able to see stacks of his recent shots (including our wedding) :)

If you have any other questions just give me a yell!

Cheers

phillipaelise

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Lisamarie wrote:
Hello Ladies,

The only thing I seem to now be struggling a bit with is trying to track down a band. I am dead set on having a band because I feel as though this would add more atmosphere to the evening but having read the past 83 pages, it seems that there is only mobile DJ's :( . I have requested a sample CD from 'The Baker Boys' but as they are based in Sydney, they are a little over budget and I would rather spend more money on the photgrapher and videographer!

Hey LIsamarie and welcome! My workplace had a black tie ball on the foreshore of Lake Macquarie this year and we used 'The Funky Doo Da's' for entertainment. They were AWESOME!! I have no idea what they would charge but I've seen them a couple of times now and they are fantastic.

Lisamarie

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi phillipaelise

Thank you for your recommendation, I will look into them and let you know how I get on.

flowerpower82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Newcastle / Hunter Valley Part 5 - Jewellers

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Can anyone recommend a jeweller in Newcastle? We need to get our wedding rings. FH will be off the shelf most likely, mine I'd like made to fit/suit my engagement ring. Went to Leonards for the engagement ring and don't want to go back there, their service was ****. Any other suggestions? Thought I'd try Craig Hilton?

flowerpower82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Seamstress?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:41 pm

I need to get my wedding dress altered, does anyone recommend anyone in Newcastle? My bridal shop gave me the number of a woman in Sydney but it's in Sydney... will go there if I have to.

Thanks!

Lisamarie

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Girls,

Just a little update for you as to what we have so far booked..

I have just secured my photographer thanks to 'purple_jellys' suggestion in previous posts. We have decided to use Justin Worboys! http://jwphoto.com.au/ He was really lovely when we meet him and we felt very relaxed around him. His packages were exactly what we were after and at the price we were looking for so very very happy!! :D

Also - MAKEUP......... I have had several trial with several different makeup artists and havent felt that satisfied HOWEVER, my last trial was with a lady called Cathy Flanagan..... she was amazing and was everything I wished for so I would highly recommend her. http://www.cathyflanaganmakeup.com.au/

Bruke070913

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi all!! My name is Brooke and I'm a first time poster on this forum and looking for anyone who has had their reception or attended a reception/function catered by Blue Star Catering. We have booked our reception in the Concert Hall at City Hall for next year, and because we are new to Newcastle, have never been to a reception their or been to a function catered by Blue Star. We really want to know about the service (leading up to the wedding and on the night, how many waiters did they have on the floor, could you get a drink quickly) and the food (was it good, was there enough). Any feedback would be wonderful. Thanks!!! :D

purple_jelly

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Lisamarie stoked you went with him he's just amazing! Not sure if you've considered a videographer or not but if you do want one definitely consider Jo Dines from Dines Video Productions. She was AMAZING and we loved her video!

Jo and her team work so well with Justin.. the photo shoot was just so FUN!

All the best with the rest of your planning happy to throw out any recommendations if you need them as you go along! :D

aimzes

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 am

Hi everyone,
First time posting in this thread, my wedding is in November. I have found so many friendly and generous wedding providers, however I have come across some horrible ones too. I have been upfront about my budget all the way and I have found people are very willing to help.

I have booked Walka Water Works for the reception and ceremony locations, its beautiful and a bargain price for renting. Im organizing my own food from a mix of companies so was perfect. I would definitely recommend contacting the Maitland City Council for options of locations as they are very friendly and helpful and all there properties are affordable.

I have booked virtually everything and will post after the wedding which providers have been the best.

However I would recommend that no one uses GMTMT http://www.gmtmt.com for their wedding video. I booked and paid in full and then got an email saying I have had another booking for the same day so I am going to cancel. I can only assume the other couple were paying more. It was horrible, he offered no solution other than refunding the money.

Also can anyone recommend somewhere lovely to have our engagement shoot done? Im not from Newcastle so struggle with locations.

Amy xx

Krissysbigday

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Girls,
Im new to this..

I'm having so much trouble looking for a wedding reception and venue location. We want to be in the hunter somewhere and we are looking for somewhere more remote. The main thing we are interested in is a place we can do our own catering.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks . Kristen

lelu87

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Krissysbigday wrote:
Hi Girls,
Im new to this..

I'm having so much trouble looking for a wedding reception and venue location. We want to be in the hunter somewhere and we are looking for somewhere more remote. The main thing we are interested in is a place we can do our own catering.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks . Kristen

A friend of mine had her reception at i think caves beach SLSC. Not 100% if it was caves beach, but it was a SLSC club. They could bring in their own caterer and alcohol.

hope that helps

flowerpower82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm

we had ours at belmont swansea and was BYO food and drink. I think they've since changed their rules for new bookings though.

I wanted to get married at Tocal - it's simply gorgeous. $3 K to hire the venue, and you BYO food and alcohol. The only downside is it's so loved by everyone and books out early. So if you're keen get in fast otherwise you have over a year wait. (This is the reason we found somewhere else because we left it too late to book it).

http://www.tocal.com/weddings.htm and http://www.tocal.com/weddings/weddinfo.pdf

please get married there and then post all your pictures on here so I can see!!

Edit - to clarify - our wedding was at Belmont Swansea surf life saving club, at blacksmiths beach.

nic21h

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm

We are getting married September 14th 2013 at Caves Beach. having the reception at Caves Beachside Resort and the ceremony will be outdoor in a park somewhere (yet to confirm and book!) that is all i have booked so far! and just starting to get quotes for bands, photographers and flowers. We will be using stylist company Cupids Corner too who have beautiful things and i will also do a lot of the decorations/table pices myself.

has anyone been to a wedding here before? Any tips suggestions?

Also can anyone recommend a band we can use? All quotes i keep getting only play 3 x 45 min sets.. we really want someone playing at the ceremony (just a guy and a guitar is fine) then a two or 3 peice at the ceremoney.. acoustic style music.. what has everyone else done for music

Bruke070913

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good MC and DJ for my wedding in Newcastle. Would prefer a separate MC and DJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Brooke

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am

Bruke070913 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good MC and DJ for my wedding in Newcastle. Would prefer a separate MC and DJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Brooke

Hi Brooke,

We used XYDJ for our Hunter Valley wedding in November, and they were brilliant! They offer MC services too. Simon is a legend and he runs a very professional business!
His website address is: http://www.xydj.com.au/index.html
His facebook website is: https://www.facebook.com/XYDJs?fref=ts

Bruke070913

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks mrsWtobe. I will give them a call!!

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 am

Hi all,
I'm after a make up artist around lake macquarie. I have a hairdresser, so I just need the make up. Does anyone know of one?? thanks

Lisamarie

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi never too old,

I am using a lady call Cathy Flanagan, she is based in New Lambton and she is brilliant. A friend as well as our photographer recommended her. I had a trial with her and she did everything I wanted her to do. I had previously tried 3 other 'professional makeup artists' and OMG my make up was terrible however I would highly recommend Cathy.

Hope that helps.

Lisamarie

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm

HI MrsWtobe,

I too am using XYDJ for our wedding this yeat and we are paying for their MC service as per the recommendation on this forum. They have been very good in answering all my questions and respond to emails very quickly. :D
Hope this helps

mrsWtobe wrote:
Bruke070913 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Brooke

Hi Brooke,

We used XYDJ for our Hunter Valley wedding in November, and they were brilliant! They offer MC services too. Simon is a legend and he runs a very professional business!
His website address is: http://www.xydj.com.au/index.html
His facebook website is: https://www.facebook.com/XYDJs?fref=ts

flowerpower82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Not sure of its too late, but we had the Jungle Kings band play at ours. Everyone loved them, so much dancing, even a conga line. Highly recommended for weddings. Cost $1,800 for the 4 (or 5? I forget) of them, they played right through the entire reception. Nice soft jazz tunes during meals, dance music during breaks. They also played tunes they made up when each person of our bridal party danced into the venue. They're different to other bands, between them it feels like they play 10 or 12 different instruments.
For make up I had Emma Wakely. She's on Facebook. Reasonably priced, does it as a second job to her full time job.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.8