A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Amy Millward
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Brisbane - Part 4

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi guys just moved to brisbane and wedding is 11 weeks away and i am looking for a good dress maker to alter my dress does anyone have anyone they can recoombed thanks

Aryawolf
Bit by the love bug
Bit by the love bug

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Hey Springbride10 - it really depends on how much you want to spend

The 3 that come immediately to mind are
Customs House (Bris CBD minimum spend for a sat nite is about $15000)
Old Government House (at QUT - has just been done up and is BEAUTIFUL - but very pricey but $ per head from memory)
Topiaries - which is actually further northwest than brisbane - in Samford (also a bit pricey)

springbride10

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 pm

thanks aryawolf
i just had a quick look at customs house and while it is beautiful we were hoping for something a little cheaper than that. thanks for the other places i will take a good look soon
thanks

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 am

Amy Millward wrote:
Hi guys just moved to brisbane and wedding is 11 weeks away and i am looking for a good dress maker to alter my dress does anyone have anyone they can recoombed thanks

Welcome to Bris Vegas :D this is the details for the dress maker I took my younger sister to to have her formal dress altered. If my wedding dress needs alterations I will go back to her.

11 Fairhaven Pl,
Albany Creek, QLD 4035 Phone:(07) 3264 7715

Sorry I can't rememer her name, but lovely lady and works from her home... from memory she was pretty cheap but did a great job.

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 am

Yeouch! Araywolf, I loved customes house, but didn't end up making a enquiry as I assumed it was a bit on the exxy side... happy I didn't, might have had a heartattack!

Aryawolf
Bit by the love bug
Bit by the love bug

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah, customs house had always been top of my list....until I read that in it's wedding plan on its website.....ahh well, lol
We went through a few venues that I got excited about, then got ruled out due to price, and admittedly we are pushing it a little with our current venue, but it's still within range.....just lol and that's what matters hehe

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:54 am

I negoiated with the girl and cut a few things out to bring our price per head down a bit

poodle

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Tamgerine wrote:
Hi fellow Brissie Brides, I need some advice! Anyone know of good hotel/apartment complexes that can accomodate an entire bridal party and a few other randoms - and offer a decent discount for booking lots of rooms or allow more than 2 adults per room to cut down on costs? Also want somewhere that is nice and comes with good recommendations.

Hope everyone else's plans are going well!

I am in the same situation lots of travelling guests. I have found 2 places in The Valley that seem to have rooms for numerous people. They seem to be pretty standard accommodation though.
-Ballhouse Apartments
-Brisbane Manor Hotel

I have only checked them out on travel website's and the reviews have been good. I haven't asked about group discounts or anything else yet.

Love.Music.Amy

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Girls,

Can anyone suggest a good hairdresser only? I have a friend thats a makeup artist so I only need someone to do hair. I'm only after some really simple styles and looking for someone reasonably priced.

I had a run in with the most horrible hair dresser is Brisbane. (she set me an appointment time without asking me. i had no idea she had set the appointment time. she called me the day before to 'remind' me and when I told her I actually didnt book it and I was busy at that time, she yelled at me, then put her husband on to yell at me :( )

Now I'm just a bit hesitant and was hoping someone could suggest someone they know is really good. :)

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am

Love.Music.Amy wrote:
Hi Girls,

Can anyone suggest a good hairdresser only? I have a friend thats a makeup artist so I only need someone to do hair. I'm only after some really simple styles and looking for someone reasonably priced.

I had a run in with the most horrible hair dresser is Brisbane. (she set me an appointment time without asking me. i had no idea she had set the appointment time. she called me the day before to 'remind' me and when I told her I actually didnt book it and I was busy at that time, she yelled at me, then put her husband on to yell at me :( )

Now I'm just a bit hesitant and was hoping someone could suggest someone they know is really good. :)

Oh that is just very nasy, I'm sorry you had a bad run in :( ... what is the name of the hairdress (so we can all avoid her 8O ) I'm not sure who I'm going with yet but alot of the girls here have some great places.

You looking nth side or sth side of brissy?

Love.Music.Amy

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 pm

GingerNinja wrote:

Oh that is just very nasy, I'm sorry you had a bad run in :( ... what is the name of the hairdress (so we can all avoid her 8O ) I'm not sure who I'm going with yet but alot of the girls here have some great places.

You looking nth side or sth side of brissy?

yeah it was quite nasty. Her name was Michelle West. She was extremely nice up until I tried to explain that I actually had never booked that appointment. :(

It doesnt really matter if its north or south but preferably around the Indro area :)

Aryawolf
Bit by the love bug
Bit by the love bug

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 am

Man, how crazy has the weather been lately! Hot, then cold, then really hot, then cool. Have no frikkin idea whether I need to take a jumper out with me whenever I go out lol.

How're all the lovely Brisbane ladies going? We are closing in on booking our band for entertainment - finally! Still going to cost the earth, but all the bands we like are not that cheap unfortunately. I'm actually working on FH to see if we can pay a deposit for a 5 piece rather than a 4....but we'll see. :) Also waiting to hear back from the florist. We got the invoice, paid the deposit, but haven't received confirmation of this and I emailed her a couple of days ago to just get confirmation....and still yet to hear. Not too stressed though.

So how's everyone going? :D

MrsKo2b

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

In case you ladies have missed the thread on the brisbane meet up 30th Aug http://forum.weddingcentral.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=104767

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks MrsKo2B :)

Well FH and I set a date for e-party last night, 17th October, so will get a move on and start to arrange a few things. Have some time to kill on the plane over to WA (2 weeks to go woot woot) so might do up invits and stuff while we are cruising.

Oh a band Aryawolf? That's very smick! I'm just going to put my ipod on shuffle and plug it into the sound system :lol:

ladysibyl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 am

Lindze13 wrote:
Does anyone have an suggestions for a small 2 or 3 piece band or a photographer? We are looking for more candid/artsy photos.

Thanks and congrats to all!

I don't know what your budget is but I love love love our photographer! We've gone with Chris from Sterling Studios and he takes just the sort of pics you're talking about, and I think his prices are reasonable (def not cheap end of the scale, but I think it's $3250 for a package that includes a 14" x 14" 20 side album and coverage up to the reception and possibly a couple of other bits and bobs)

Neither FH nor I are AT ALL happy in front of a camera and I hate photos of myself, we had our engagement shoot a couple of months ago and wound up buying 17 shots cos we couldn't narrow it down any more, they were so gorgeous!

That said, I think the most important thing with a photographer is that you're comfortable with them and just click... assuming you've narrowed them down to ones whose work you like, that'll make for the best day AND the best photos :)

Good luck!

K

emm80

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm

I just thought I would let you know about my photographer as he doesn't advertise in many of the bridal magazines cause he says he would have to increase his prices if he did that! We were shocked when we say his package prices..... very reasonable! His name is Bradley Kanaris and his website is http://www.physicalimages.com.au. He is quite well known in photography circles.. when I rang him last he was taking portrait photos of the ashes cricket team!

Good luck with your search.

lolli
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi girls,

How are the wedding plannings going? It's such a mammoth task getting everything together! I'm getting married on 10th Oct , 2010 (yes, 10-10-10) on the Gold Coast, but am getting ready in Brisbane. It's so hard running up and down the coast every weekend checking out venues and interviewing suppliers. :? Wonder if any of you girls out there is on the same boat?

On the Brisbane side of things we've only booked Nick Murray for our photos. Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) about him? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks. :D

poodle

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 pm

lolli wrote:

On the Brisbane side of things we've only booked Nick Murray for our photos. Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) about him? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks. :D

Hi Lolli

We have booked Nick Murray too, we are not getting married unitl May 2010 tho so I can't comment on working with him. I absolutely loved his work and he was so friendly. He also was very much into taking photo's of the moment rather than us having to pose for him, which we both were looking for.

A friend is also using him in Oct so I might be able to give some more feedback then.

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 pm

carlisle wrote:
Hi girls, long time viewer, first time poster. I have finally boooked my wedding at Glengariff. After seeing many place I had high exectations of and being let down, I just fell in love with it and am so excited about our August wedding next year!

Hi Carlisle, and welcome. I went to a wedding a few months back at Glengariff, it was stunning! The photo ops were amazing the food was outstanding and the cermony in the garden was just perfect. Was a total insperation to get myself into gear and start planning.

We were lucky, me and a few of the girls got to have a tour though the house by teh owner. So many generations have lived there. The house is just amazing and full of vintage and beautiful things.

Tamgerine
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey Brisbane Brides!

Am I the only Spring bride who is TERRIFIED of getting a stinky hot day for her wedding? 8O 8O
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24