A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

lolli
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Brisbane - Part 4

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 pm

poodle wrote:
lolli wrote:

On the Brisbane side of things we've only booked Nick Murray for our photos. Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) about him? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks. :D

Hi Lolli

We have booked Nick Murray too, we are not getting married unitl May 2010 tho so I can't comment on working with him. I absolutely loved his work and he was so friendly. He also was very much into taking photo's of the moment rather than us having to pose for him, which we both were looking for.

A friend is also using him in Oct so I might be able to give some more feedback then.

Yeah he's really easy-going and we like his style. We saw him in action in a videographer's promo DVD and we like how he's not those in-your-face type. So have you got much of your planning under way?

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:20 am

Tamgerine wrote:
Hey Brisbane Brides!

Am I the only Spring bride who is TERRIFIED of getting a stinky hot day for her wedding? 8O 8O

Nope, I'm also a little worried about that as FH does not handel the heat well, espically in formal gear. But I'm counting on the AC to help that.

dotty
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi ladies! My bro is planning on getting engaged at the end of the year and then he is off overseas with the army in early 10.
Just wondering where you guys had your engagement parties and if you could help me to narrow down a few places.
We can't have it at anyones home etc, so we need a venue. I was thinking of Sassafras cos its cool and casual.
They will want somewhere close to the city (they live in the city) so that they can go out afterwards, but I'm really not sure of what places do good functions, you know?
When you're out in the valley you don't really think of these things!! Looking for a nice venue, good price, reasonable drink price/BYO, close to the city....can anyone help me?
Thankyou in advance!!

lolli
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:01 pm

We had our engagement party at our new home since we had a joint housewarming & E-party. But if you're looking for an inner city venue, my friend's friend got married in Cloudland and they said it's really good. Otherwise if you're looking for something a bit more exotic Brazilian Touch is good for a great party. My girlfriend had her Hen's party there and we had a blast! :D

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm off to the bridal expo at the RNA tomorrow, anyone else been or going?

white_rabbit
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:44 pm

We had our engagement party as Sassafras. The food was fantastic (some people even had thirds).
The set up is lovely and the people who run the catering were great.
I highly reccommend Sassafras!
:mrgreen:

one note - I have a friend who also had her engagement party at Sassafras and went with the cocktail option (we went with the BBQ option) and she said it was really dissapointing as there wasnt nearly enough food! Our party with BBQ option had too much food! Just to keep in mind :D

Tamgerine
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:55 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Tamgerine wrote:
Hey Brisbane Brides!

Am I the only Spring bride who is TERRIFIED of getting a stinky hot day for her wedding? 8O 8O

Nope, I'm also a little worried about that as FH does not handel the heat well, espically in formal gear. But I'm counting on the AC to help that.

I know what you mean ... my FH's brother got married in the middle of December in Brissie (!!!) and during the outdoor photos, they were sweating up a storm. I was in a 3/4 length light dress and I was sweating buckets too! Luckily, I've got the air-brush makeup which seems to stack up well against the yucky sweaties!

ladysibyl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

We had ours at the Spannish Garden at the Brekky Creek Hotel and it was really cheap and GORGEOUS food - and they did a lovely job setting the place up and gave us great service. They'll only do one bill for food and drinks was the only downside if you're wanting to save on drinks.

K

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:56 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
We had our engagement party as Sassafras. The food was fantastic (some people even had thirds).
The set up is lovely and the people who run the catering were great.
I highly reccommend Sassafras!
:mrgreen:

one note - I have a friend who also had her engagement party at Sassafras and went with the cocktail option (we went with the BBQ option) and she said it was really dissapointing as there wasnt nearly enough food! Our party with BBQ option had too much food! Just to keep in mind :D

Mmmmmm, I love their salads!

WE are currently planning our e party, so far 100 guests 8O so having it in the back yard, marquee style with pig on spit as per FH's request

PrincessToBe

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:06 am

I have deleted my posts
Last edited by PrincessToBe on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi PrincesstoBe, and welcome. Your wedding sounds lovely and coming together nicely. Have you started dress shopping yet? Any ideas in mind?

I spoke to my florist the other day, I'm going with a all white boquet for me and a white and pink for my MOH. I'm having tiger lillies, roses and a few other pretty white, flowers that will stand up to the weather... hopefully.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolli
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm

PrincessToBe wrote:

Does anyone know when any expos are coming up?

Are you after both Brisbane & Gold Coast expos? Here are the big ones coming up:

Brisbane Local Wedding Guide Expo: 15-17 Jan 2010 (Sofitel)
Gold Coast Local Wedding Guide Expo: 7 Mar 2010 (Convention Centre)
(http://www.weddingguide.com.au/)

Queensland Brides Expo: 26-28 Mar 2010 (Southbank Convention Centre)
(http://www.queenslandbrides.com.au/)

Royal on the Park's having an open day next week (26 Sept).

From memory there's also a Gold Coast expo on 10 Jan 2010 at the Art Centre. I think that's a Wedding Links one - sadly I can't go since I'll be overseas :( (I can't seem to get enough of expos but FH said he'd had enough after the 2nd one :roll: )

Thena85
I survived and got married

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi my fellow brisbanites :D

Haven't posted on this thread for awhile but thought I'd pop back in. Still have 7 months to go but pretty much everything is organised!! Woohoo!! Except my dress! Lol. I had a baby 2 months ago so the whole dress shopping took a back seat for awhile. Well I did buy a dress - secondhand off of ebay - but the silly woman said fits size 8/10 or 12... yeh I'm generally an 8-10 n it doesnt zip up!!! Grrr... false advertising peeves me off. I only paid $115 for it tho so I'm counting my losses (maybe resell it later) n looking for a new dress. It wasnt 'the one' anyway...

I also havent organised flowers... was hoping to DIY fake ones. I went to Spotlight - but they only really had roses (I'm after real-touch or latex in maybe lillies). Does anyone know of any Brissy warehouses/stores that sell them unassembled so I can make my own??

Tamgerine
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Thena85 wrote:
Hi my fellow brisbanites :D

Haven't posted on this thread for awhile but thought I'd pop back in. Still have 7 months to go but pretty much everything is organised!! Woohoo!! Except my dress! Lol. I had a baby 2 months ago so the whole dress shopping took a back seat for awhile. Well I did buy a dress - secondhand off of ebay - but the silly woman said fits size 8/10 or 12... yeh I'm generally an 8-10 n it doesnt zip up!!! Grrr... false advertising peeves me off. I only paid $115 for it tho so I'm counting my losses (maybe resell it later) n looking for a new dress. It wasnt 'the one' anyway...

I also havent organised flowers... was hoping to DIY fake ones. I went to Spotlight - but they only really had roses (I'm after real-touch or latex in maybe lillies). Does anyone know of any Brissy warehouses/stores that sell them unassembled so I can make my own??

Have you thought about taking the dress to a dress fitter who can maybe take it out or alter it to fit you? I can recommend mine who is in Coorparoo who is a GENIUS.

lolli
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm

I wonder if anyone has tried or heard about Reflections of Elegance (make-up) or Your Personal Hairstylist (hair)? I think they are based on the north side. I won their vouchers at an expo but am not sure whether to book them before hearing some feedback. Thanks. :D

GingerNinja
The Ninja
The Ninja

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm

I contacted Reflections of Elegance... they are booked for my date - 8/5/2010 already so no joy there

Apple Blossom

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Last edited by Apple Blossom on Tue May 17, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel_84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 am

Je55i wrote:
Hello! :D
I was wanting to know if anyone knows of a Dentist on the Northside that does the take home tray teeth whitening for a reasonable price - $300-$400. (or even cheaper :wink: )
I was quoted by a dentist in Milton $660, but i have heard that you can get it much cheaper than that and don't want to be ripped off.

A few years ago I went to the dentist at Aspley (in same complex as coffee club) and got the same kind of thing. They also claimed some off my health insurance from memory... wasn't too expensive at all tho, maybe $200? It was a while ago now!

Apple Blossom

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Last edited by Apple Blossom on Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chooky
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:06 pm

lolli wrote:
I wonder if anyone has tried or heard about Reflections of Elegance (make-up) or Your Personal Hairstylist (hair)? I think they are based on the north side. I won their vouchers at an expo but am not sure whether to book them before hearing some feedback. Thanks. :D

Thats my finance's cousin well one of the girls who runs the business is (natasha Dodds), she has been doing beauty for a while and if you look on their website she has heaps of photo. Shes a very caring person and really enjoys her work.
All you can do is try them out, I have already booked my makeup otherwise I would have used them.

Good luck with what every Makeup artist you choose, as long as your happy, dont be pressured into going with anyone unless you have a good repore with them.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25