A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Re: Brisbane - Part 4

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 pm

I went to the QLD Brides expo last weekend at the Southbank Convention centre...i've gotta say it was a bit boring lol..I havent booked anything yet either! I just entered the comps, picked up cards and went...nothing really stood out bar the vintage headpieces stall....ahh well...anyone else go?

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:21 pm

I went in October last year (despite not being officially engaged - he proposed the next day - to my complete shock!)

I'd already booked the church & reception venue before going there, but i found heaps of photographers there, which was good & also actually spoke with the dressmaker who is now making my dress!

The Qld Brides one at the convention centre seemed to be better than the one at the Ekka grounds, in that it was bigger & has more suppliers there.

Also i personally found the fashion show at the Conventin centre had slightly better quality gowns than the one at the Ekka (No offence to anyone)

beccajayne

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Gosh it's slow in here!!

Anyway I just want to recommend 'Bridal Couture' in Fortitude Valley as I went there to day and had a ball choosing my wedding dress. The plus is that it is a plus size shop (also has designer dresses in smaller sizes) but the Glamour Plus sizes range from 16-38.
http://www.bridaltm.com/Glamour/

And there is a facebook page too with many more styles
http://www.facebook.com/glamourplus

Ricki Lee was so nice and made me feel like a princess, almost from the beginning I was made to feel comfortable and never felt that my size was an issue.
So I only went to this store and tried on 5 dresses and the last dress was THE dress. :heart:
It is beautiful and it is now all mine :D
Now I just have to wait 5 months to wear it :(

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Those 5 months will fly by - i've just nearly died when i noticed i have only 3 1/2 months to go till my big day!

MsBreeze

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Do any Brissie ladies know where I can get mercury glass tealight holders / votives?
Ideally something like the ones below?
This is from Luna Bazaar, and US brides can get them for $4/each, but LB doesn't ship to "foreign countries' - honestly, you would think with their economy they would be more flexible!
I've seen them here but for more like $15 each, and that's waaaaaaay out of my price range.
I'd also happily get them online if it was possible to get them shipped here.
Any ideas?

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:52 pm

If they ship to a PO Box in the US, then there are companies that do freight forwarding, which may be an option. But i haven't come accross any places that are cheap.

http://www.holstens.com.au are a florest supplier & they do have a heap of vases, but not sure if they have what you are looking for. They are a wholesaler though & you do need an ABN to buy through them. Thankfully for me, my soon to be in-laws own a business in the tourism/hospitality industry & need props and stuff all the time, so they are kindly letting me order using their ABN. I'm placing my order next week, so i can let you know how i go.

ozjosh

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 pm

bryaneunice wrote:
Anyone knows a good spot in the city that we can get good photos of the Story Bridge? We're planning to have our pre-wedding shoot there :D

Try either the river walk area down behind the Marriott Hotel (a few less people around) or just in front of the botanical gardens at the bottom of the CBD near the river alongside the Stamford Plaza.

MsBreeze

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Just a quick shout out....
If any brides are looking for decor-type stuff, I can't recommend the Dollars and Sense shop at High St Toowong highly enough. They went to massive trouble to get me my mercury glass-looking votive holders in specially - and they cost me $2.50 each instead of four times that.
Every time I go in I see the most amazing wedding appropriate stuff that I don't need, but some of you might. For instance, that have fancy shaped vintage style glass jars suitable for a candy buffet for $12-$15, round paper lanterns in different colours and much cheaper than online, even little ones with their own bulbs and batteries included - for $3!!!!
There are heaps of tealight holders in different styles, glass and silver candelabras, vases that would make good table centrepieces (including unusual things like those oversized martini glasses, which aren't my thing but some poor bride is probably looking everywhere for them), art and craft stuff including scrapbooking and cardmaking supplies, mini chinese takeaway boxes, some really nice silk flowers like hydrangeas as well as cheaper looking standard ones, stuff that would be good for OOT bags and bridesmaid emergency kits, candles galore etc etc etc
It's all inexpensive, well-organised and the staff are so incredibly helpful and friendly that I wanted to give them a shout out. It's the best dollar shop I've ever seen by a long way, with the best service - who ever heard of a dollar shop promising to source a particular item, going to trouble to order it in and then following up once they had it?! I was amazed.
Hope this helps someone!

kylie4702
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Ok we are getting married in Noosaville and we need music for the ceremony and the reception. But was shocked that some DJs charge $750 just for reception music. I had no idea that this would cost so much. Has anyone got any recs or suggestions on music, a band or DJ that might be wiling to travel?

tooshie

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi, i'm looking at having a wedding at Bundaleer but found out they do 2 weddings at once... has anyone been to a wedding there (or had their own) when theres two on? was it a problem?

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey Ladies,

Just thought i'd let you all know that if you really want to have your photos taken in the grounds of Newstead house, all you have to do is ring them up & ask permission. You do have to pay to use the house & the veranda's, but the gardens in from of the house are free.

If you don't ask them they stand in the way of your photos & tell you to leave.

razscarl

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi All,

I have been reading these post for the past hour or so, and am getting more stressed than before I started... So maybe if I tell you what I am looking for and you will share your similar experiences.

We are look to get married early April 2012. We'd like to have both the wedding and the reception outdoors close to the brissy northside. It will be cocktail style and pretty relaxed. We will be bringing a lot of our own style to the venue and a nice block of land with amenities and views that we can have a big party on would probably do the job.

Thanks

razscarl

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Slinky wrote:
Hi razscarl,

Were you looking for a reception place to do the catering or are you doing it yourself? How far out would you go? Are you looking for inner northside or would you go the outer suburbs or maybe the Sunshine Coast?

Thanks Slinky,
Catering - depends on the venue we find. If they do the catering to our liking then we'll use the venue caterers, otherwise we have will bring in our own.
How far out - We have looked around Sandgate / Shorncliffe, Redcliffe / Margate. we were looking around Tenneriffe/Newfarm today, and we are heading out to Samford tomorrow. We have considered Malaney and sunshine coast, but thats probably pushing it a bit. We want an area that we go to from time to time, so we can always remember.

Thanks

razscarl

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 pm

We checked out topiaries on the weekend. It was nice, but didn't have the right "feel" for us. We also looked at Glengariff and Oceanview. All very nice but not what we are looking for.
He'd be happier with a paddock that has a view, some nice big trees, power and amenities. We know how we want it to look, and really just want some open space.

The DJ
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 pm

razscarl wrote:
We checked out topiaries on the weekend. It was nice, but didn't have the right "feel" for us. We also looked at Glengariff and Oceanview. All very nice but not what we are looking for.
He'd be happier with a paddock that has a view, some nice big trees, power and amenities. We know how we want it to look, and really just want some open space.

Yeah, neither Topiaries or Glengarif can really provide what you are describing that you are after. Perhaps try some wineries that already do weddings in their restaurant etc, but who would allow you to place a marquee or something outside where it would suit. They could still cater and provide amenities, and you will still have a the assistance of somewhere that does weddings regularly, but it would still be outside. Just a thought.

razscarl

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Cherbon Waters looks very nice, and pretty close to what I am looking for.
Not the right area, but definitely worth a look.
we have a free weekend coming up, so we'll take a look and maybe a few wineries as well.

Thanks heaps for your inputs.... very happy to take any options you think of.

carmrocky

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello all, I have done a quick search on here but havent found to much info on the United Services Club in Brisbane. My partner and I are from Central Queensland but have fallen in love with the United Services Club just from viewing photos. Does anyone have any information that they can share with me?? We are planning at this stage to have both the ceremony and reception there, with photos at the parklands and the club. As neither of us are from Brisbane and most of the guests will also be travelling we really are flying blind at the moment!!

carmrocky

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:01 am

We have a wedding down there later in the year so hoping to check it out then. I would love to hear from someone who could give me an honest opinion on the food and everything :)

PommieBear

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm

hezzc wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can help me with reviews on an Island hideaway at Stradbroke Island? Has anyone used them or been to one of their weddings as a guest?

Hi, I am new but have been looking at them online and spoken to them re prices etc. Did you get an answer for this?

elocingrace

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi ladies!

I am very new to this, we got engaged over Easter and have just started the venue search.

We had a look at a couple of the past few days and can not find anything that suits us, within our price range and our numbers. We want a simple but elegent venue, nice view of either the city, gardens or river. We looked at Customs House, but too expensive and a bit grander than we want. We loved the idea of the Stokehouse but we have too many people for their upstairs room, and not enough to justify a $20K minimum spend for the entire venue!!

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. We are very new to Brisbane as well so that is not making it any easier.

Numbers wise, we are 80-100 guests and wanting to keep under $12K for the reception.

Thank you!! :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.18