A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Toowoomba & Darling Downs - Part 3

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi aleisha! Congratulations!! If you like old buildings maybe try Gabbinar Homestead? Good luck! Happy planning!!

MissAleisha

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:14 am

Hello Carolyn ...gabbinbar is a amazing venue I rang the manager and he explained to me that it was a premium venue ...as in v expensive...so havnt gone there as we are trying to do this on a budget.. I don't know it's all a bit daunting ...I would love to find somewhere now and book as we all ready have the date picked :)

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:06 am

Hmmm, thought it might be expensive! We had already booked our venue by the time they started doing weddings, do I didn't get a change to check the out. How about Gipps Resturant....I think that's what it's called?? It might be a bit pricey too? We are having ours at highfields cultural centre, it's beautiful inside, but it's probably not the type of building your looking for...

MissAleisha

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes gipps is lovely but v expensive...we both really like platform 9 so it will probly be the venue we go for..just would be good to talk to people that have used them . I am going to do cupcakes as the wedding cake that way I don't have to pay for them to plate it up..which added up to 420 bucks just to plate up my cake... I understand it is a wedding but we want to try and keep the costs down so that we can have a lovley holiday after.

Bride2bD

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi ladies. I spoke with Gabbinbar and went and visited and just fell in love with the place. It is expensive but I am considering making sacrificices elsewhere in the budget to book there. I was hoping someone might have heard some feedback or had some first hand experience of the venue to let me know whether they thought it was worth the expense????

MissAleisha

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi bride to b! I feel in love with the photos but I am sure it is way out of our budget so I couldn't bare looking at it..lol just gotta keep looking ..:)

Lanna_88
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:00 pm

We are getting married at Preston Manor and Chapel and it was expensive considering what we were originally going to book as it is 880 for the chapel hire and then it is 660 for the hire of the manor. However it is e wanted and like others have mentioned I am cutting costs in other areas for example my mum and I are scrapbookers and my mum has a scrapbooking business so we will be making our stationery, my best mate is a hairdressor, I am only having my sister as MOH and FH's best man. There are alot of ways we are cutting costs as we dont believe in spending a huge amount on the day (even though our budget is still $15000, but we are wanting to go under that). Its about what you want on your day and how much you think you want to spend... you day will be so special in the long run anyway!

Bride2bD

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks MissAleisha. I kind of wish I hadn't had a look because it really is very beautiful - just looking for someone to reassure me that it is worth the money for the service and experience. I have a backup plan in the event that I come to my financial senses :lol:

MissAleisha

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Thats exactly why we will not be going there ...I would no doubt be sold as it is a dream venue...but like I said before I am still a student until next march so I don't want to be under excess stress to save even more for the wedding... :D I am happy with platform 9 I just need to cut costs a bit
More and I will be v happy :)

Lanna_88
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 pm

OMG ladies I am addicted to ebay!!!!

I was able to find the perfect hair piece which i paid $90 (including postage) as well as cufflinks for my fh and the best man. I also was able to get some cheap pearl bobby pins so i dont care if they dont get used. Iam also currently bidding on 70 corks to use for my place card holders. (,aximum bid of $20 and it is still only at $10 atm.

I dont know about you but I feel very limited in Toowoomba for wedding supplies, plus time as I am a Kindy teacher and work full time.

Lanna

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:39 pm

If you think you are addicted to ebay try Etsy!!!! It's even worse! Very addictive!! So much beautiful, original, handmade things! :heart: :heart:

Lanna_88
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 am

nickncarolyn1 wrote:
If you think you are addicted to ebay try Etsy!!!! It's even worse! Very addictive!! So much beautiful, original, handmade things! :heart: :heart:

Etsy you say..... may have to look into this!!!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Still having trouble finding wedding cars... anyone got any ideas/contacts?? We're looking for a classic cadillac or something like that... :?
Last edited by nickncarolyn1 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

83bride

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm

I would also be very interested on anyone's feed back about Gabbinbar as a reception venue.

Lanna_88
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:41 am

Oh my.. i was interested in this gabbinbar that was discusses as I have never heard of it before and it is stunning but i agree with the cost of the hire. It is a bit out of my price range. We are already paying $880 for the hire of preston chapel and 660 for the manor and this was our main expense (except for my dress).

MissAleisha

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:17 am

As far as reception venues go what is the best place in toowoomba for value and good food with a buffet option? I'm still stuck and really want to make a decision ...

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to let you know (in case you didn't already know), there's a bridal expo on at Highfields Cultural Centre on Sunday 24th June. It starts at 10am and I think it's $5 entry.

Bride2bD

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 pm

So I have come to my financial senses thanks to FH - lucky he complements my extravagant side with a practical one! Gabbinbar while beautiful is out of our price range. We are looking at Toowoomba golf club middle
Ridge - any reviews or feedback you can help me out with?

MissAleisha

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 pm

ok ladies..help please..Preston manor and chapel any feedback? what is the manor like as a reception venue? value for money good food etc..

is it owned by preston peak winery or just near there.. i have fallen in love with it and want to go see it this weekend.:)

sorry for all the questions i didnt know about it..and i love everything about it

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:18 am

It's beautiful! My FBIL & FSIL got married there a couple of years ago.... we probably would have got married there if they hadn't. As for price I can't really help you, but it was really nice, and I'm pretty sure the food was good. The chapel is pretty small though, but if your having a smaller wedding it would be fine....I think maybe more than 80 might be a squeeze? I think it's separate to the winery. Sorry I'm not too much help! :?

Edited to add...

Oooops I was wrong...I just had a look at the website and apparently they fit 100 in the chapel :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.13