A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

 
misstina
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello there!!

I haven't really posted here much, I've been in the May thread so I keep myself up to date with the girls in the same month as me!

I too am a South Australian getting married on the Gold Coast.. I've lived here for about 5 years now so not planning from interstate but I tell you, it's still a big task!!

Look forward to hearing about all your plans though, and even though I don't post here I'm always lurking! :)
 
User avatar
lizzythebride
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Welcome to the new brides! We had a beach wedding (well, grassland next to beach at North Burleigh) on a friday. went we went back there on the saturday for a bbq i was really glad we'd had it on the friday as there were sooooo many people and there's no way we would have got the spot we wanted. for anyway getting married in school holidays or weekends, just keep that in mind. although i'm sure no onlookers would intrude...it does get quite noisy!

if you've got lots of interstate guests, i'd definately recommend a ceremony close to reception and accomodation if possible. if not, then perhaps think of organising a bus to transport everyone.

we got married at a surf club so can't help out with any reception venues with accomodation, but with all the hotels on the gold coast i'm sure there'd be no shortage!

looking forward to hearing all your plans
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:55 pm

lizzythebride wrote:
Welcome to the new brides! We had a beach wedding (well, grassland next to beach at North Burleigh) on a friday. went we went back there on the saturday for a bbq i was really glad we'd had it on the friday as there were sooooo many people and there's no way we would have got the spot we wanted. for anyway getting married in school holidays or weekends, just keep that in mind. although i'm sure no onlookers would intrude...it does get quite noisy!

if you've got lots of interstate guests, i'd definately recommend a ceremony close to reception and accomodation if possible. if not, then perhaps think of organising a bus to transport everyone.

we got married at a surf club so can't help out with any reception venues with accomodation, but with all the hotels on the gold coast i'm sure there'd be no shortage!

looking forward to hearing all your plans


Ohhh I never even thought about school holidays.....bugger....I am planning a saturday beach wedding..... hmmmmmmmm should I rethink the date??
 
User avatar
lizzythebride
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 pm

i wouldn't necessarily rethink the date, but perhaps the beach...i wouldn't be getting married on 10 jan at surfers put it that way!
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm

lizzythebride wrote:
i wouldn't necessarily rethink the date, but perhaps the beach...i wouldn't be getting married on 10 jan at surfers put it that way!


*heart breaks*
Once I organise a celebrant I might ask whats the best beaches that arent overrun by tourists.
We dont like chapels cause 1. Im not the religious type 2. my partner is muslim (though he doesnt really practice...hehe he loves bacon and pork..yup I tainted him :P )
I dont mind gardens...but if they are over the top I dont like it....I like tropical gardens though :)
Perhaps does anyone know of any nice tropical looking gardens in the GC?
I would love it at Cedar Creek in the Amphitheatre but I think we will be too short on numbers, and not sure about guests and where they will be staying...
Which brings me to another question....when u have ur ceremony and reception at the same place....what happens when u go off for photos?? what happens to the guests??
 
User avatar
Cheeky Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 am

B2BinGC wrote:
Which brings me to another question....when u have ur ceremony and reception at the same place....what happens when u go off for photos?? what happens to the guests??


The weddings that I have been to that have the ceremony and reception at the same place, while the bridal party are off getting drinks is when basically the pre-dinner drinks and nibblies start. As the ceremony is normally held around 3 and by the time registry is signed and photos with family are done it's around 4 - 4:30ish.
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 am

Cheeky Roxy wrote:
B2BinGC wrote:
Which brings me to another question....when u have ur ceremony and reception at the same place....what happens when u go off for photos?? what happens to the guests??


The weddings that I have been to that have the ceremony and reception at the same place, while the bridal party are off getting drinks is when basically the pre-dinner drinks and nibblies start. As the ceremony is normally held around 3 and by the time registry is signed and photos with family are done it's around 4 - 4:30ish.

Ah ok thank you! :D
 
tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 am

Just wondering if anyone knows any good celebrants on the gold coast and what is a good price for a celebrant?

FH and I are after a celebrant that has a bit of a humourous side so when the nerves kick in, he will break the ice IYKWIM :wink:
 
User avatar
Cheeky Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am

tahnee_s wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows any good celebrants on the gold coast and what is a good price for a celebrant?

FH and I are after a celebrant that has a bit of a humourous side so when the nerves kick in, he will break the ice IYKWIM :wink:


I know Tenielle Jones (I think that is her surname) is really good a few of the brides last year used her and highly recommended her. We haven't got to that bit yet but Cedar Creek supposedly have one in their package but if we don't like them we will find our own.
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 am

Yeah I was wondering about the same thing with celebrants...because that was the next thing on my list to check out.

For me though I dont know if I would want a female as a celebrant...nothing against my fellow women....I guess I am very 'traditional' in that sense.
 
Katie86
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:02 pm

I cannot recommend John Hudson enough! He is fantastic - we booked him on our first meeting. He has a website with all the information. He was extremely helpful when it came to supplier recommendations as well :)
 
brideCilla
Now A Mrs
Now A Mrs
Posts: 1617
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:05 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm

I can throughly recommend our celebrant - Stig Hokanson. He is based in the Logan area, and travelled down to Byron for our wedding, so he would do the Gold Coast for sure.

He cost $500 (but that was Sept 07 prices) and that included travel time and 2 meetings at his house.
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Hmmmm I will give him a buzz anyway, thank you for the name and recommendation.
$500 is the max we want to spend on a celebrant.
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Ok I am working down my list lol

Photographers.....I had a look at Xsight...and they do some spectacular work....but its a tad pricey...and alot are doing the same for less price...with extras like pre wedding shoot of the bride..like a magazine shoot...

As for the day I am not really interested in the getting ready photos..though if we are getting ready in a really nice room I might :P....and then the usual ceremony, photos with guests, photo shoot locations, mock cake cutting...and some of the reception venue...thats it...

We want some funny shots..and more candid then 'strike a pose' kind of ones.....anyone got photographers they can recommend?
 
User avatar
LISSY_2B_OBRIEN
Everything happens 4 a reason
Everything happens 4 a reason
Posts: 1400
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I called 'Get Hummered' today and booked one of the stretch hummers for our wedding and the guy on the phone said they have a white or black one, but then also said......that as of April this year, they are getting a pink hummer - yup a pink hummer! lol .....I thought it was soo cool, but my FH wasn't so keen on the idea! lol

Just thought I would lets you's know....could make for some cute 'different' photos!
 
tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:01 pm

I would have looooooved a stretch hummer but unfortunately we already looked at this option and it is way way way out of our budget :cry:
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:10 pm

tahnee_s wrote:
I would have looooooved a stretch hummer but unfortunately we already looked at this option and it is way way way out of our budget :cry:

Ya same here lol...silly budget blues :(
 
tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:29 pm

I saw quite a funny photo that i liked where the bride and groom hold their hands to the camera and give it the finger, no not the middle finger, the wedding ring finger but it definitely makes you look twice lol.
We are looking at going through ace photography, they have the cheapest package i have seen so far (all their prices are on their website). We are looking at just paying the base price where they take 200-300 photos and they give them all to you on high resolution disc. Then we would just get all the printing done ourselves.
 
miss andrea
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Ladies!

It has been a while since my initial post. I have been frantically trying to find a venue so that we could set a date and get married this year! However, we are really struggling to find a house to rent and have the wedding without dropping a disgusting amount of money on a place at Soverign Island 8O

I am now trying to source a penthouse to use as my wedding reception and venue.

However, I have picked my dress that I want, which is good, we have set our guest list and have a caterer and staff (through FH's) work that will do everything for cost, so as soon as we lock in the venue, the rest will follow suit!! Fingers and legs and toes crossed!

I am going to the wedding expo at the Gold Coast Arts Centre on Sunday, so hoping to get some inspiration on invitations, flowers etc and then you never know, I might find something that will allow me to find our venue!

Hope everyone else's planning is going well.

Andrea x
 
B2BinGC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 pm

miss andrea wrote:
Hi Ladies!

It has been a while since my initial post. I have been frantically trying to find a venue so that we could set a date and get married this year! However, we are really struggling to find a house to rent and have the wedding without dropping a disgusting amount of money on a place at Soverign Island 8O

I am now trying to source a penthouse to use as my wedding reception and venue.

However, I have picked my dress that I want, which is good, we have set our guest list and have a caterer and staff (through FH's) work that will do everything for cost, so as soon as we lock in the venue, the rest will follow suit!! Fingers and legs and toes crossed!

I am going to the wedding expo at the Gold Coast Arts Centre on Sunday, so hoping to get some inspiration on invitations, flowers etc and then you never know, I might find something that will allow me to find our venue!

Hope everyone else's planning is going well.

Andrea x


Hi Andrea

Im sorry to hear your struggling with finding a place to rent out for your wedding. I must admit I was looking at some of the houses on Sovereign Island......all I can say is Wooooooooooooow!!!

Hopefully something will come up for you soon.

I wish I had moved to Brissie already so I could come along to the Expo in the GC...I need inspiration like you...oh well hopefully they happen often.

My plans are going just OK...I had a date of 10/01/2010, but now I am thinking of forgoing a weekend wedding and have it midweek. I have my mind set on places, etc..and FH is in agreement...its a matter of taking a look and securing and then tightening our budget belt to save up.

The part thats confusing me the most is the theming...but I am sure that will come into fruition further down the track.

I keep thinking about wedding stuff that I havent even packed and we move out this weekend...lol
GZIP: On | Load: 0.09