A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Toowoomba & Darling Downs

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Lol...oh right! God, can u tell i'm blonde? hehe....yes i just went back and realised that i misread your thread! Sorry lana!

MissS....Couldn't tell you exactly (so don't quote me), because my awesome Maid of Honour did all the phoning around, and made the appointments. From what I remember, it is called BFO (Bridal Factory Outlet) and it's in Chermside. Then there is another one near by! I will let you know how we go, and where exactly it is! BFO apparently has over 4 floors of formal/bridesmaids dresses!

Excited.... :)

Lou82
I ♥ JL
I ♥ JL

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Green Wedding, hope you had fun dress shopping and found something wonderful!

Miss S and for those interested in Brisbane dress places- You will find that BFO is a really small shop (only the one floor not 4 :D ) but they are quite good, they have a lot of Alfred Angelo and then there is Sugar and Spice (getting my BM's dresses from there) across the road at Chermside, they both have reasonably priced gowns and friendly service (Approx $1000-$2000). And then still at Chermside, about 50m down the road from the other 2 places is Hills in Hollywood.

Apart from that there is the city (which is where I am getting my dress from- the Bridal Centre) and Bella Donna at Wooloongabba. There are about 10 other places in the city depending on how much you want to spend ( from $1000 at the Bridal Centre and Casar Elegance to $3000+ at Elizabeth de Varga etc) :lol:

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am

Hi all, Hows the planning going??

We are getting there with the planning. We have decided on brindabella for the ceremony. :heart: :heart: it there so pretty.

Next week we pick up my engagment ring FINALLY!!! but I don't get it straight away :cry: :cry: I have to wait. FH wants to propose properly. Wonder what he is planning??

On the 20th Mum best friend and i are going dress hunting in brisbane. Can't wait to try on dresses :D :D

Lou82
I ♥ JL
I ♥ JL

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Tea85 that's great about Brindabella, it is soooo beautiful there!! :lol: When are you getting married? Do you know where you are having the reception yet?

That's sweet about your FH wanting to do the proposal 'properly'. Hopefully, for your sake, it is soon! :D

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Girls!

Well, a whole day in Brisbane....and lets just say, the day didn't go how I expected.

Earlier in the week, my MOH rung Alfred Angelo stockists, to find out if they had the Two Piece Seperates available, in various sizes, including and up to size 28. The answer was yes, to come at 9am and 1pm, and we could try them on.

Well we get to BFO, say who we are, and then were quite rudely told, that "no, they do not have all sizes, only a 12, and they can't order any in, unless we pay for them" to which we then replied that we had called ahead to find out about this, and had been misled. We quickly exited that shop.

So then we had a look around at some other shops, Sugar and Spice....absolutely brilliant. The saleswoman knew the girls sizes by looking at them, had dresses in stock, helped them try them on, and offered advice. She was fantastic.

After finishing there, we went to some other stores, to try on various dresses, then we headed over to "Brides on the Bay", who had an appointment for us at 1pm, saying they stocked our size in their Alfred Angelo 2 piece seperates.
Upon arrival, the store was packed out, and we were left to "find the ones we wanted" ourselves. After finding these, they were not in the right sizes. To which they replied, "oh no, we only have one size". So then she tries to talk us into buying the dress style, because "they're much nicer, and why do u even want the seperates anyway??!!" To which I replied (Quite rudely as the woman was rude to me) "Because that's the dress i want them to have, and we were misled into believing you had their sizes here today!!" When walking out, the woman then continued to ask me if i want the style numbers!! (No dipstick, i don't like those dresses!)

We then headed down to Stones Corner, where we went to one store (can't remember the name). The woman there was very helpful, and extremely knowledgable about her dresses in store! From there we went to a bridal store called "Midnight". The woman here, was the most helpful, most polite, knowledgable and down to earth woman ever. She knew the girls sizes by looking at them, and advised us on which dresses flattered different body shapes.

Overall, we found a couple of dresses we like, and have to choose between. We have decided to steer clear from Alfred Angelo.

*sigh* well i just had to get that out, as I was very disappointed with some. Midnight and Sugar and Spice are definetely the best places to go. I'm not hard to get along with, but how some of these women acted today really bothered me!

Tea85....that's exciting being able to expect the proposal....let us know as soon as he does!!!!

(Oh, and you're right Lou82, BFO is quite small! ) :)

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 am

Lou82 wrote:
Tea85 that's great about Brindabella, it is soooo beautiful there!! :lol: When are you getting married? Do you know where you are having the reception yet?

That's sweet about your FH wanting to do the proposal 'properly'. Hopefully, for your sake, it is soon! :D

Lou82- Our wedding date is 02/10/10. We have booked the 2pm slot. I thing that sold me on bridabella was the smell of the roses as soon as you steped out of the car. Its beautiful. We are still deciding on a place for the reception. Maybe Drayton memorial hall with Golden Roast catering not sure. I want the reception to have a super relaxed feel where the kids can run around a play and dance without stressing out they'll break something!!!

Green Wedding! wrote:
Hi Girls!

Well, a whole day in Brisbane....and lets just say, the day didn't go how I expected.

Earlier in the week, my MOH rung Alfred Angelo stockists, to find out if they had the Two Piece Seperates available, in various sizes, including and up to size 28. The answer was yes, to come at 9am and 1pm, and we could try them on.

Well we get to BFO, say who we are, and then were quite rudely told, that "no, they do not have all sizes, only a 12, and they can't order any in, unless we pay for them" to which we then replied that we had called ahead to find out about this, and had been misled. We quickly exited that shop.

So then we had a look around at some other shops, Sugar and Spice....absolutely brilliant. The saleswoman knew the girls sizes by looking at them, had dresses in stock, helped them try them on, and offered advice. She was fantastic.

After finishing there, we went to some other stores, to try on various dresses, then we headed over to "Brides on the Bay", who had an appointment for us at 1pm, saying they stocked our size in their Alfred Angelo 2 piece seperates.
Upon arrival, the store was packed out, and we were left to "find the ones we wanted" ourselves. After finding these, they were not in the right sizes. To which they replied, "oh no, we only have one size". So then she tries to talk us into buying the dress style, because "they're much nicer, and why do u even want the seperates anyway??!!" To which I replied (Quite rudely as the woman was rude to me) "Because that's the dress i want them to have, and we were misled into believing you had their sizes here today!!" When walking out, the woman then continued to ask me if i want the style numbers!! (No dipstick, i don't like those dresses!)

We then headed down to Stones Corner, where we went to one store (can't remember the name). The woman there was very helpful, and extremely knowledgable about her dresses in store! From there we went to a bridal store called "Midnight". The woman here, was the most helpful, most polite, knowledgable and down to earth woman ever. She knew the girls sizes by looking at them, and advised us on which dresses flattered different body shapes.

Overall, we found a couple of dresses we like, and have to choose between. We have decided to steer clear from Alfred Angelo.

*sigh* well i just had to get that out, as I was very disappointed with some. Midnight and Sugar and Spice are definetely the best places to go. I'm not hard to get along with, but how some of these women acted today really bothered me!

Tea85....that's exciting being able to expect the proposal....let us know as soon as he does!!!!

(Oh, and you're right Lou82, BFO is quite small! ) :)

Oh no you've got me a little scared now!!! I'm headed to brides by the bay on the 20th!! and i'm also looking for alfred angelo seperates for my BMs!! Are midnight and sugar and spice far from brides by the bay?? Also is BFO far from brides by the bay??

jod1981

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 pm

hehe i am worried about Brides By the Bay now too. I have an appointment to go there on the 15th :roll:

nicolebaxter92
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd join in this thread. I live in Toowoomba and am getting married on 10th October. The wedding is actually on North Stradbroke Island but I am doing all my planning and buying here in Toowoomba! I havebeen having a read through catching up on all the posts. Can't wait to talkweddings with you all.
Nicole.

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 pm

nicolebaxter92 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd join in this thread. I live in Toowoomba and am getting married on 10th October. The wedding is actually on North Stradbroke Island but I am doing all my planning and buying here in Toowoomba! I havebeen having a read through catching up on all the posts. Can't wait to talkweddings with you all.
Nicole.

Welcome Nicole!

North Stradbroke Island Lucky you!!

emmc

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:04 pm

missS wrote:
Hey Ladies
Hope everyone has had a good day :D
Emmc, With your suit hire from Roberts, what does that include? (We're just looking for a simple suit, shirt and tie combo for the groomsmen.)
Green Wedding, Where are you heading in Bris? I wanted to go down there in the next few weeks but I'm not really sure where to look?

Hi MissS,
We got the pants, suit jacket, shirt adn vest in the style that my husband wanted. He didn't want ties, but they would have been included if he had wanted them.

Hope that helps you!

Also went to a wedding yesterday and they had veetone's and they stuffed up the bridal waltz. Just thought I would let you know. (don't want to upset any who who has booked them, just letting people know!)

Hope all your plans are coming along nicely! :)

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh sorry...didn't want to alarm anyone!

Brides of the bay is in (Please forgive me if I have this wrong), but i'm sure it was in Cleveland, where as BFO was in chermside. Sugar and Spice is just down the road from BFO in Chermside. Midnight was at Stones corner, so in the city. (sort of)

The seperates are gorgeous, and you will get to try them on if your girls are size 12, otherwise....good luck! hehe....

We are not getting those any more! : (

We'll hunt back in Twmba now....so that should be fun neways. More shopping, and the chicks at Spurling seem reall nice!

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Isn't brides by the bay in capalaba?? Sorry I don't know Brisbane very well. i'm from NSW originally :? :?

woombiegirl

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi All, I'm organising our September wedding from interstate. Am relatively organised so far. We have organised photographer, venues, celebrant, bridal party, transport, accomodation and a few other things. Am yet to organise Dress, flowers, hair & make up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are the Twmba stores worth a look as far as dresses are concerned? Would love to hear how everyone else's plans are coming along.

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:18 pm

woombiegirl wrote:
Hi All, I'm organising our September wedding from interstate. Am relatively organised so far. We have organised photographer, venues, celebrant, bridal party, transport, accomodation and a few other things. Am yet to organise Dress, flowers, hair & make up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are the Twmba stores worth a look as far as dresses are concerned? Would love to hear how everyone else's plans are coming along.

I got my dress from A Touch of Romance, and they have hundreds of styles. Fiorenza is definitely worth a look, very elegant. Great formal and MOB stuff too. The girls at Princess were heaps helpful when I was getting my formal dress in 07. But I'm not sure what their bridal range is like.

But yes, worth a look.

Snooky
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am

For those of you looking for Alfred Angelo from Brisbane stores, I got mine and my bridemaid's dresses from Casar Elegance (formerly Anna Marie and Mr John). They've moved up in the Queen Street Mall to where Abbey Brides used to be. They have a fairly large range of dresses in a reasonably large range of sizes. I was able to find a style (and in the correct size to try on) for both my size 8-10 bridesmaid and size 16 bridesmaid. They also appeared to have a fairly good display of plus sizes (around size 18-22) as well. The store did tell me that they don't get a choice of what stock and in what sizes they get in to put on display, so if you're having trouble with finding larger sizes in certain styles it's most likely not the shop's fault - sometime's your best bet is to just find as many stockists as possible and and see if one has what you're looking for!

missS

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 am

Good Morning Ladies! :D
Green Wedding!
It sounds like you had a stressful day, 8O I think I might steer clear of those stores!
I'm going to start looking in Tbar and then head to Bris in the next few weeks
Emmc, Thanks I might have a look at Roberts in the next few weeks also :)
Hi Nicole and Woombiegirl
Hope all your planning is going well :D
Nicole, I was Bridesmaid for my cousins wedding on Straddy last year and it was wonderful! We had so much fun and it's so relaxed over there!

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi every one!!

We have had to change the date of our wedding because the photographer I wanted was booked on the 2nd so now we getting married on the 09/10/10.

We have booked Donna Mitchell as our photographer!! She is so lovely to talk to and I love what i have seen of her work. We are going to her house this week to look at more of her work and pay our deposit.

It took him 9 years to propose but things are starting to take shape and I'm so excited!! :D :D

Hows everyone elses planning going??

Thanks Snooky, I will keep Casar Elgance in mind.

Woombiegirl - Spurlings had some lovely dresses on display at the expo You could try there?

Lou82
I ♥ JL
I ♥ JL

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Welcome Nicole :D

Green Wedding, sorry to hear your dress shopping didn't go as planned :cry: I think all the stores seem to stuff girls around a bit and aren't completely honest, I've been to about 15 different stores and I wouldn't trust any of them completely.
I would agree with snooky that Casar Elegance is definately worth a look for Alfred Angelo.

Woombie, I think some of them are worth a look, a Touch of Romance is ok and Wedding World has some nice dresses (but really bad service!).
As for flowers I have heard good things about Heritage Flowers and Blooming Gorgeous (which is where I'm getting mine from).
Where are you having your wedding?

Lou82
I ♥ JL
I ♥ JL

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm

tea85 wrote:
Lou82- Our wedding date is 02/10/10. We have booked the 2pm slot. I thing that sold me on bridabella was the smell of the roses as soon as you steped out of the car. Its beautiful. We are still deciding on a place for the reception. Maybe Drayton memorial hall with Golden Roast catering not sure. I want the reception to have a super relaxed feel where the kids can run around a play and dance without stressing out they'll break something!!!

(Sorry for the double post)
You are so organised Tea, that's so good :D That sounds like such a nice idea to have it really relaxed (that was my plan but it sort of got off track!), IMO that is exactly how a wedding should be and I'm sure your guests will love it too!

nicolebaxter92
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
MissS we love Straddie, we go there nearly every year for holidays. I can't wait and neither can most of our guests! They are all (well nearly all) planning their yearly holidays around our wedding. We are going to have a week long party!!!
Although I am starting to wonder how I am going to get all the planning done. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with 7 months till the wedding, I've just gone back to uni, working full time, and am in the process of starting up my own family day care business from home, and wondering how I'm going to actually pay for the wedding! lol I'm feeling a bit overextended!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.39