A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Re: Toowoomba & Darling Downs

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Lou82 wrote:
(Sorry for the double post)
You are so organised Tea, that's so good :D That sounds like such a nice idea to have it really relaxed (that was my plan but it sort of got off track!), IMO that is exactly how a wedding should be and I'm sure your guests will love it too!

With 4 kids I hope I've learnt a few things about being organised!! Lol!! :D :D

Besides I have to be the sooner I book the sooner I can start paying things off. Weddings are so expensive!! I'm a bit like you nicole wondering how we are going to pay for everything. 8O :? :roll:

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:12 pm

I understand the sizing may not be the stores fault, but when we have rung ahead to see if they have the sizes in stock, then driven 2 hours to get to their store, I expect an honest answer. I didn't think it was that hard, and rung ahead to NOT have those problems. Incompetent staff.

On the other hand...we didn't get to the Queen Street Mall..so might have to go back there. Thanks for the advice their Snooky!

Oh...and Brides of the Bay may be in Capalaba, I don't know bris well either....Cleveland/Capalaba, all sounds the same to me! :)

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 pm

Oops I posted mine before reading every thread.

That's a lot to take on NicoleBaxter! Good lucky with it all, and if you ever need somewhere to vent/discuss...WE ARE HERE! hehe

18 days til we move into our new house! :)

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:19 am

Green Wedding! wrote:
I understand the sizing may not be the stores fault, but when we have rung ahead to see if they have the sizes in stock, then driven 2 hours to get to their store, I expect an honest answer. I didn't think it was that hard, and rung ahead to NOT have those problems. Incompetent staff.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. I've been in a similar situation (working in uniforms, so kinda similar) and told people that yes all sizes are available, but we may have to order them. Or else I've told people that the size is in stock, and by the time they got there it was sold.

Although if she just flat out lied that's poor form.

frazzeled81

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 am

Morning Ladies - Gotta love the lovely Toowoomba weather today - so hard to drag my bum out of bed!!

Green Wedding - sounds like you had a shocker of a shopping day - I'm sorry to hear that :( .. Last thing you need when planning a wedding is unneccassary stress. I'm disapointed that you had a bad time with Brides on the Bay at Capalaba.. I got my wedding dress from there and they were so helpfull. They even saw me on a Sunday when they aren't actually technically open.. But I didn't look there for bridesmaids dresses though.. I found them to have a good range of bridal dresses at reasonable prices.. I'm disapointed that you had a bad time there..

Welcome to the newies!!

For those looking for dresses still - Spurlings may be worth a look, I was in there last week doing suit stuff and they seemed to have a sales on their gowns.. So might be worth a look. They had BM dresses on sale as well.

Tea85 glad you picked Donna! She is so nice isn't she! You'll be amazed at how clever she is when you go to her house - the place is like a living art gallery!

Girls, has anyone had experiences with Golden Roast Catering? Would appreciate any feedback or experiences anyone has had..

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:39 am

Oh well a few years ago we had them for a club lunch. Naturally they didn't pick anything too flash. I think you can get better meal packages. This was two meats, veg and gravy. BUT! Very yummy and the service was fantastic, they were just lovely and friendly.

And yes. The weather. Still in my jim jams... :oops:

missS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am

nicolebaxter92 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
MissS we love Straddie, we go there nearly every year for holidays. I can't wait and neither can most of our guests! They are all (well nearly all) planning their yearly holidays around our wedding. We are going to have a week long party!!!
Although I am starting to wonder how I am going to get all the planning done. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with 7 months till the wedding, I've just gone back to uni, working full time, and am in the process of starting up my own family day care business from home, and wondering how I'm going to actually pay for the wedding! lol I'm feeling a bit overextended!

Nicole, My cousin went through a lady on straddy that does wedding planning
She just gave the lady their budget and she did all the leg work then emailed the details back so they could still pick what they wanted. I thought that was a great idea!
I have to give you snaps for being able to juggle all those things at once!! :D
You are a machine!!!! :wink:
Tea, I agree 100% Weddings are so expensive!
Has anyone got any tips or tricks for keeping their cost down?
Eg. We are saving a bit by using my step dad and his brothers cars ( Red Fords circa 1980ish )
And my cousin/Bridesmaid is a hairdresser (and the only person I trust with my hair on such a big day!)

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 am

When the time comes, I'll be hitting up the university's music department. See if I can get a band for the reception and a strings group for the ceremony. Uni students would be happy for some tax free money for a couple hours work. Being a student, I know!

Kerryanne
Life's Too Short To Play Bad Music
Life's Too Short To Play Bad Music

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:35 am

missS wrote:
Tea, I agree 100% Weddings are so expensive!
Has anyone got any tips or tricks for keeping their cost down?
Eg. We are saving a bit by using my step dad and his brothers cars ( Red Fords circa 1980ish )
And my cousin/Bridesmaid is a hairdresser (and the only person I trust with my hair on such a big day!)

Keep cost down - get your priorities in order. For example, we just aren't going to bother with chair covers. OK, seems cheap when you say 3-4 dollars per person, but for your average wedding that can be 300-400 bucks!! There are people that aren't willing to pay that for a DJ but chair covers are ok??? I don't see the logic... maybe it's just me?
It also helps that we know so many people in wedding-related business, so lots of mates rates. Plus we're getting married because we want to be married, not for a wedding, so we're keeping it very casual.

missS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 am

Kerryanne that is so true, I know someone who paid $50,000 for their wedding, don't get me wrong it was lovely but $50k? I know that there is no way I could afford that!
Another way we are saving is asking our guests ( as their present to us )
to pay for their meals because we already have our house and everything in it so a wishing well wasn't really for us.
Nikkie, That is a fantastic idea!
:D
Can anyone tell me??
Do I really have to order my dress 6 months in advance?
I've started at the gym and only have 7 weeks till the 6 month mark
I don't really want to buy a dress that has to be altered and end up costing me more money but I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like! :?:

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 pm

frazzeled81 wrote:
Tea85 glad you picked Donna! She is so nice isn't she! You'll be amazed at how clever she is when you go to her house - the place is like a living art gallery!

Girls, has anyone had experiences with Golden Roast Catering? Would appreciate any feedback or experiences anyone has had..

I'm excited now! Can't wait to see her house!!

We are planning to use golden roast catering for our wedding. We have choosen the Bridal buffet which is $23 pp. Friends of ours used them at there wedding last year and the food was lovely but there was heaps left over!! The MOB had a drunken argument with the cook but that was her fault not the companies.

As for keeping cost down we are just trying very hard to shop around for the best deal possible and not waste money on things that won't matter in 10 years time!!!

Lou82
I ♥ JL
I ♥ JL

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 pm

nicolebaxter92 wrote:
Although I am starting to wonder how I am going to get all the planning done. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with 7 months till the wedding, I've just gone back to uni, working full time, and am in the process of starting up my own family day care business from home, and wondering how I'm going to actually pay for the wedding! lol I'm feeling a bit overextended!

That does sound pretty full on! You will have a very busy year :lol: But a great one too I'm sure! What are you studying at uni Nicole?

Green Wedding!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Damn wind in Toowoomba! Brrrr!

kerryanne...it's probably a personal choice when it comes down to it. Me personally, I think chair covers make a wedding reception. But again, i'd be contradicting myself really, because as long as you have a good time, that's all that matters.

Weddings are expensive too, when you add it all together! :( Kinda sucks!

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 pm

BUT ITS GOING TO THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY EVER!!!!!

*Loulou*
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 pm

And you only do it once! (hopefully thats my plan anyway :) so i reakon make it what you want u'll remember it forever! I love chair covers too green wedding!

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 pm

I love the look of chair covers too.

Where is the best place to go for chair covers, sashes and table cloths???

I don't have a big budget to decorate the reception so need somewhere that will do the best deal price wise but still good quality and beautiful!(Am i asking too much?!?)

Is $600 a resonable amount to set aside for decorating or am I being too cheap? I haven't really started looking into this yet. Our guest list is at 90 ppl. So we will need up to 90 chair covers......

*Loulou*
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

I found D&D wedding the cheapest we got them for $3 with saches. They were doing a deal but im sure if u negotiate with them you'll get them at a good price. and that includes them setting them up. have a look at ebay for your decorations its alot cheaper doing it yourself i think,

woombiegirl

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi girls,

Sounds like everyone is quite busy.
MissS, I hope there's no rule for dress shopping. It's only just over 6 months til our wedding and I won't be able to get to Toowoomba to even look at dresses until early May. Fingers crossed I'll find something to wear...I really have no other option. There's absolutely no point looking where I live.
Kerryanne, I guess the need for chair covers comes down to the reception venue. We are having ours at Platform 9, the chairs are wooden and look beautiful and timeless as they are. They just fit into the whole feel of the room. I wouldn't dare put covers on them. We are having a small, about 60 ppl, reception. As a result have decided to go with the cocktail party option. I don't feel the need for a sit down event. I'm hoping this will reduce costs somewhat. The other issue for us, was knowing we didn't want to skimp on photos. This is something we have had a lot of friends comment on. So we are more than happy to spend whatever was necessary on the photographer, and skimp anywhere else. We will also be having a garden ceremony, and a short one at that. We've decided that only a third of our guests will need a chair for this.
Nikki, I love your idea of utilising the university music department. Fantastic money saving opportunity.

Weddings easily add up. I think we completely underestimated the cost of services before we started to seriously look into it.

I'm looking to book a lady by the name of Jemma, from Peaches & Creme Make up Artistry for my hair & make up. She is a completely mobile service (very handy). Her prices seem reasonable. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about her???

tea85
Forever His Lady
Forever His Lady

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

*Loulou* wrote:
I found D&D wedding the cheapest we got them for $3 with saches. They were doing a deal but im sure if u negotiate with them you'll get them at a good price. and that includes them setting them up. have a look at ebay for your decorations its alot cheaper doing it yourself i think,

Thanks Loulou.

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 am

Woombie, we're havbing our E Party at Platform 9. One of the reasons we chose there was because it would need such little decoration! And the service we've had so far has been fantastic.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07