A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Rockhampton

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi
Customs House has only fairly recently started doing wedding receptions after being renovated and Kershaw House has just changed all it's management in order to improve things. So it is probably a little hard to say too much from experience for either. Both are stunning venues and I am sure you won't be disappointed with either. Are you able to get into town to go and have a look at them, sometimes when you actually visit a place you just get a feeling about it.

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:43 pm

SOOO glad I found this forum... and grateful to LHB85... we're getting married on the same day and you really put a bomb under us... made us get up and get organised... glad you did - seems 18th September 2010 is a VERY popular date. We missed out on what turned out to be my first preference (didn't think it was going to be til we got there!), but we've got two options now - so glad you posted when you did! :D

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Sorry... really should introduce myself :?
My name is Karena... finding this forum was life saving in a way... we're from Tassie, only been in Rocky just over a year, so we really had no idea where to start until we went to the wedding expo... we got so many ideas from that... but neglected to realise Sept is popular for weddings up here... in Tassie late Nov/Dec through Feb are most popular (something to do with the weather I think!!).
Anyway, really looking forward to getting to know some of you and bouncing ideas!!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Welcome Karena. Yes its a hot Nov/Dec here. Especially under many layers of fabric! Spetember and March are the most popular months here

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks Steph... Silly part is when I thought about it it made so much sense!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

What are your 2 reception options?

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:37 pm

we're looking doing the whole thing (ceremony etc) out at Rydges, other place is the Leichhardt - a colleague had her reception there last year and was pretty impressed

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:45 pm

If you chose leichardt where would you have your ceremony? I'm contemplating Rydges as well

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:53 pm

really like the look of a few places - we've talked about in Kershaw or in the botanical gardens - I'm going to look at the Leichhardt tomorrow, so I'll (hopefully) know after what we're going to do. The first time we went to Rydges we joked about getting married there - and we weren't even engaged then.. so it'd be nice... and its a good location given we'll have so many people coming from out of town - but in that sense it'd be easier to have it all in Rocky rather than Yeppoon... ahh decisions, decisions...

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi and welcome to Rockhampton and the forum! How did you go at the Leichhardt, I have heard that they are doing some renovations, did they say when they will be finished? Both venues you are looking at are really nice and know what they are doing with weddings, so either way I am sure you won't be disappointed.

LHB85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi Karena.

Welcome to the forum. Its cool that we are getting married on the same date. September is a really busy time of the year. I am a teacher so the 18th is the first day of school holidays, and heaps of teachers chose this time to get married. Both the venues you are looking at are lovely, I am looking forward to seeing which one you choose. It will be great to have somebody to bounce ideas off. Have you thought of any colour schemes yet?

Leonie :D

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Charlene & Leonie!

Yes, it will be great to have someone to bounch ideas off Leonie - we chose the weekend we did because of school holidays too... means we can go away on our honeymoon and not interrupt my son's schooling too much, and also means we can get my partner's girls to be involved in the wedding too - we figure they'll all have to have a few days off, but at the end of a term they're not missing a lot of work - although not sure whether I should say that to a teacher :)... it will also be exactly 2 years since we got engaged, and 4 1/2 years since we officially got together - so the date is kind of special to us as well!
As for colour schemes, I'm thinking either black and red or black and gold - haven't quite made my mind up yet... and knowing me it will change every 2 weeks until I absolutely have to make a decision!!
As for the Leichhardt, I cant speak for their reception service yet, but in terms of their service so far I'd highly reccommend them. Michael - who is the food and beverage manager - couldn't have been more accommodating - he made us feel like he was genuinely interested in us and our wedding, and basically (doing his job I guess) really sold the place - if we do go with them I'm going to get all the inclusions in writing - he was a bit sketchy on what was actually included in their package - but our experience there is by far the most positive one we've had - it took us almost 45mins to have a look through, talk to him, ask questions etc - as opposed to the 10-15 mins max we've had at other places... highly recommended just on their ability to relate to us as real people planning a wedding!

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Charlene wrote:
Hi and welcome to Rockhampton and the forum! How did you go at the Leichhardt, I have heard that they are doing some renovations, did they say when they will be finished? Both venues you are looking at are really nice and know what they are doing with weddings, so either way I am sure you won't be disappointed.

They're planning their reservations for later this year, early next from what Michael was saying on Tuesday - he assured us they would be well and truly complete by Sept, and they're trying to increase the number of receptions they have there... not many at all booked in this season (so an option of you're a 2009 bride without a reception venue), but are apparently hoping to have at least 2 a week next year!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 pm

That's good. I'll be looking into them if FH gets his regisrty wedding. I wanna beach wedding FH want the registry...so we'll see :D

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 pm

StephMT wrote:
That's good. I'll be looking into them if FH gets his regisrty wedding. I wanna beach wedding FH want the registry...so we'll see :D

Maybe you could compromise and go a garden wedding? But, definitely check out the Leichhardt, great package deal - includes DJ, drinks etc - and they'll do reduced rate accomm for guests even in the week leading up to the wedding (good for us because we'll have so many people from out of town)! I'm going out to Rydges again tomorrow to talk to their WC - so I'll let you know what my impressions are of them too!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks rydges is another one of my choices. Def let us know how you go.

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:57 pm

StephMT wrote:

Hi Steph

Some ammo to use to get your beach wedding :wink:
The registry office in Rockhampton only does weddings from 10am to 4pm Mon to Fri - No weekends.
Also you probably won't even meet the person marrying you until you turn up on the day.
At the registry you get NO say over the wording, they just insert your names and read out their standard (boring) blurb and it is all over and done with in no time flat.

Remember though that I am definately biased towards ceremonies by celebrants as opposed to the registry :lol:

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks Charlene! That IS good ammo.

SuzieQ85

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 am

Hi ladies and welcome to the newcomers. Glad to see people using this forum.
I am stuck in a pickle at the moment. I have just over a month until the big day and cant seem to arrange my schedule for the reception.
Do you think that the speaches, cutting cake and waltz should be done before the desserts are served? I know its a minor thing but i'm not sure.
Good luck with everyone's arranging and if you need idea's for bargins let me know. I have arranged this wedding with all the trimmings with a low cost.
Happy wedding planning.

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm

We had cake cutting at the start as our photographer was only staying til 7.30. We had speeches between the entree and the main. We didn't have a formal dance, but other friends weddings I've been to had the dances after dinner.

There are any number of possible options- for example some couple have their dance as they enter the reception.

It's up to what you prefer- if you are having a long gap between dinner and dessert, it would be nice to fill it with dancing, but you don't want people to be scattered everywhere and forgetting about dessert. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you do will be fine.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15