A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

lilithgirl

Re: Rockhampton

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi,

We've decided that people usually get bored with speeches so our reception time line is like this:
father of the Bride Speech
Father of the Groom Speech
Dinner is served.
The Groom's Speech
The Best Man Speech
Cutting of the cake
Desert is served
First Dance
We tried to break it up abit. Hope this helps with ideas

leelee1977

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 am

Hi Ladies,

I am all new to this forum. I have been registered on here for a while, but haven't gotten involved any discussion yet.

I am getting married at Rosslyn Bay Inn in October. I have just organised my hair & make up, decorations, flowers, phoyography & cake. I have had my dress for 6 months & i am getting it altered this week (thanks to a lovely WC member who helped me out, she is a lifesaver! :D ) and i just got my shoes as well (from a place i would definitely NOT recommend). I stil have to sort out music, but i am seeing all the costs spiralling out of control.

I have been married before & had forgotten how stressful & chaotic organising a wedding can be. It has been hard with the organising as i live 3 hours away from Rocky & have not lived up here for very long either, so i have pretty much relied on word of mouth.

If anyone wants any advice on who to go to & who not to go to, i am more than willing to give it to you. I have had mostly good experiences so far but have had a few bad ones (which i would rather forget).

If anyone is getting married at Rosslyn Bay Inn or has already been married there, i would love to here your opinion of the venue too :)

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:31 am

Welcome LeeLee

Where did you have a bad experience buying shoes? And

What did you need reccommendations for? What typle of suppliers?

Steph

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm

StephMT wrote:
Thanks rydges is another one of my choices. Def let us know how you go.

Hey Steph... Just letting you know the WC at Rydges was really nice as well. Their packages are substantially more expensive in comparison to the Leichhardt - especially for alcohol - but they seem to be pretty well on par with Customs House price wise. We've pencilled in a beach wedding, and reception in the Capri Club - great party room if you're after that sort of atmosphere, otherwise, if you're wanting a more traditional reception type set up I'd go with Anniversary House or the Palms Convention Centre... hope that helps!
Now we've just got to make a decision!! My number 1 preference for the ceremony in Rocky was at Goldston House, but I've just been told today that that's definitely not a goer (someone else had it pencilled in, and they've come good with the deposit - only had to wait a week to find out - was a little frustrating not knowing) - so been a little down since then! The only downside at Rydges is the price really - a beach wedding would be nice, but the reception cost is looking bit outside what we really wanted to pay. Guess we'll have to find another option in town, or think about reassessing the budget, or culling the guest list... not enirely sure I like having to make these decisions :?

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 am

There's a few other beaches around the area that might be cheaper if you contact ace party hire or omething to set up. The guests can do the short drive to rydges. Can you alter the packages at all to get what you want?

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Yeah - not so much the cost of the ceremony, as the cost of the reception... we were hoping to just put a certain amount of money on as a bar tab - but with the prices they're quoting for a fairly average bottle of wine or a standard beer, the tab wouldn't last a very long time! We'll sort it though - I told FH today that I'd talk to my dad and see if he isn't willing to help us out with a bit of the reception cost or something - I'm his only daughter after all... fingers crossed!

tiffanyblue
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting acrylic nails for the wedding and haven't ever had them done before. I was just wondering if anyone had any Rockhampton or Gracemere recs (and prices)?

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 am

StephMT wrote:
There's a few other beaches around the area that might be cheaper if you contact ace party hire or omething to set up. The guests can do the short drive to rydges. Can you alter the packages at all to get what you want?

Ok - I'm officially having a beach wedding!! Hope you get yours too Steph!

leelee1977

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:41 am

Hey Steph,

I pretty much have all my suppliers sorted out now, and think i have visited just about everyone to do with weddings in Rocky.

If anyone needs any recommendations, i am more than willing to give them. All i have to say is, having been married before, i knew what my expectations were & unfortunately some of the people at these suppliers underestimate a bride to be's intelligence.

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:49 pm

tiffanyblue wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting acrylic nails for the wedding and haven't ever had them done before. I was just wondering if anyone had any Rockhampton or Gracemere recs (and prices)?

Hi tiffanyblue,
I'm not sure of what their prices are, but the lady in Hairmoda in Stockland does beautiful acrylics... all of the hairdressers there have her do them - she may have just taken some time off to have a baby though, so I'm not sure if she's actually available at the moment... and I cant for the life of me remeber her name - but if you ask the staff there they'll know who you're talking about. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 pm

leelee1977 wrote:
Hey Steph,

I pretty much have all my suppliers sorted out now, and think i have visited just about everyone to do with weddings in Rocky.

If anyone needs any recommendations, i am more than willing to give them. All i have to say is, having been married before, i knew what my expectations were & unfortunately some of the people at these suppliers underestimate a bride to be's intelligence.

I so hear you leelee... I've not been married before, but I guess maybe I have high expectations of people and services - especially when it comes to weddings... not many have stacked up so far unfortunately... will definitely be picking your brain in the coming months though!

lilithgirl

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Just letting you all know, that I recently hired suits through Mark Bunts Menswear and the women fitting them was a cow.
My groomsmen and father of the groom are bigger men and she made them feel like **** because if this. If we could the same suits anywhere else in Rockhampton we would. And we're paying quite a bit for them so you would think she would be a more courteous

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm not really a fan of Mark Bunt either. I just don't get a good vibe from that store lol. Been in their a few times but never stayed there long, let alone buy anything.

tiffanyblue
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:59 pm

I love Mark Bunts. Everytime we go there we either get Mr Bunt, or the other man that works there and they're absolutely awesome. I've had the older lady there try to help once and we walked out. You should have seen the ties she was suggesting to match a shirt we were looking at......totally not coordinated. And I've never had the younger lady there. I find they've got the best range though. Everyone's experiences are different though I suppose.

We got great discounts on our wedding suits and shirts too :D

I recommend getting one of the older guys to help you if you go there.

drkreena
Done. Dusted. Delighted.
Done. Dusted. Delighted.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi again all,

Well I finally feel like things are starting to fall into place!
We've booked a bunch of things the past couple of weeks.

Ceremony : on the beach at Yeppoon
Reception: Capri Club, Rydges
Celebrant: Anne Donaghy
Photographer: Still deciding on this one, but have one in mind...
Music: Patches Mobile Disco

We're going to jazz up the decorations provided by rydges ourselves, and we're sending out save the date cards this week (most of our guests will be from interstate). Also seriously considering getting a string quintet to play at the ceremony - I think the strings on the beach would be just beautiful (I have 5 cousins who all play - 3 of them are studying at the Conservatorium, so I know I'd be on a winner - and Mum offered to pay for their meals if I decide to ask them - gotta love Mums!).

I'm also leaning very heavily towards getting my dress, BMs dresses, FG dress and all the guys ties made through duosheng - not 100% certain, but thats definitely what I'm thinking at the minute!

Still deciding on a colour scheme too - am thinking black and red/burgundy or black and gold.... do you think I could do all 3 together - black, red & gold - would that be overkill?

tiffanyblue
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:10 am

Hi All,

My hair thingy didn't work out so now I'm thinking I'll go with some bling (and I need it fast, the wedding is in 2 weeks!). Can anyone recommend anywhere good in town that sells those blingy hair combs (that won't cost me a fortune like the bridal shop ones??).

Thanks in advance :)

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:28 am

Diva has a hair accessory section I'd try there. Also cosmetic plus. And if your real keen some of the new stores such as forever new may have them.

Speaking of new stores...what does everyone think of shopping fair? sorry stockland, it will always be shopping fair to me lol

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

tiffanyblue wrote:
Hi All,

My hair thingy didn't work out so now I'm thinking I'll go with some bling (and I need it fast, the wedding is in 2 weeks!). Can anyone recommend anywhere good in town that sells those blingy hair combs (that won't cost me a fortune like the bridal shop ones??).

Thanks in advance :)

Have you tried Priceline?

tiffanyblue
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:34 pm

No I hadn't even thought of that.

LHB85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm

I noticed some in Cosmetics Plus the other day when I was in there. The other place that might be worth having a look at is Voom Voom or some hairdressers carry a bit of stock along those lines.

Steph- I love having some new shops in shopping fair. It makes a shopping trip alot more interesting :D .
GZIP: On | Load: 0.48