A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sashmanash

Re: Cairns

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Loki~ wrote:
sashmanash, we are looking at Whitfield House as well and Reef were portrayed as the only caterers the WH owners would allow to cater on site (although that was just a strong impression rather than a stated policy) - do you know different?

When I enquired I was given information on Ochre and Reef from Whitfield House. I also asked if it was possible to have another caterer and they are very against it, but I suppose if you pushed it maybe?

I think we will just go with Reef. Joy has said that the caterer is responsible for running the whole thing on the day, so you don't want someone just learning the ropes IYKWIM?

Ochre charges staff costs on top of food and bev, for Reef it's included. It makes them much of a muchness once I figured that out.

If you are doing the whole day package you shouldn't have this problem but be aware if you book the night one, you can't really decorate anything yourself (as your venue hire doesn't start until 5) so you need to pay the caterer to do that.

gail

Re: Cairns WEDDINGS

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 am

Hi does anyone know of any good places to source bridesmaid dresses?

I live in Ireland but my potential bridesmaid lives in Cairns and I hope to be able to send her in to try on some gowns so I can have a look.

I can't really afford a trip home before the wedding for this purpose.

Cheers

Loki~

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Gail, you could have your bridesmaid go in to Irene Costa's Bridal Fashions / House of Weddings (22 Martyn St, Cairns). They have a range of bridesmaids dresses and can order them in various colours. IIRC, they stock Alfred Angleo, and another brand, possibly called Impressions or something similar? And *maybe* another brand/s.

Irene herself is an absolute doll. She is a dressmaker and IMHO is completely on the ball when it comes to dress styles and how they fit. She works from the Cairns store some days, and other days from the Tolga store, so if you wanted to specifically see her then it is necessary to call and make an appointment (and check what days she's in; I think she comes to Cairns Thurs, Fri & Sat most weeks? Not 100% sure).

Apart from that I can't really recommend anywhere in particular. Unless your bridesmaid maybe finds something she likes at Myer, as she can always send you pics then take it back if you don't like it...?

Good luck. :)

Jessica85

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi Gail

I agree with Loki..Irene Costa's devine bridal is great. I am getting my wedding dress from her and all the girls there are fantastic to deal with. I know some wedding dress places won't allow photos to be taken but that is not the case there. Your BM's will be able to send you some pics. I also had the same problem as i live in Cairns but by BM's are in Brisbane which is where i am getting married in May.

Good luck and hope your BM's are able to find something that you all love :)

Jess

KattNWozz

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi,
Is anyone still visiting this topic??
:D

sashmanash

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 pm

It seems to have died! I don't think there are too many Cairns brides on here.

Kilkenny Cat

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Girls,

I'm writing to you all desperate for help. I'm trying to plan my wedding from Ireland. I fell in love with Port Douglas for a January wedding. The local priest said that it rains in January in Cairns :( . I could cry. Where do ye recommend? I am flexible with the East Coast. Please help, time is of the essence :?

KattNWozz

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:34 pm

It does seem to of died!!

I can sorta see why it has.
There isnt much choice ive found in the past week for bridal things in cairns.

Cant help with the Port Douglas wedding either, sorry

Donna11

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Ladies

I recently married in Palm Cove (30min north of Cairns) and thought I'd share my experiences with my suppliers. Our wedding was a big classic wedding - 105 people, red roses, white dress and all the fairly traditional stuff.

Venue - Paradise Palms Resort and Country Club - 5/5 - Stunning venue inside and out. Great prices. Yummy food. Attentive service. Angie the wedding coordinator is the BEST!

Dress - Maggie Sottero from Devine Bridal - 5/5 - The prices and service were great. Irene is a wiz with the sewing machine and was able to alter my dress to perfection for only $50!

Accessories - Ebay and Etsy - 5/5 - I got my Pleaser USA shoes from ebay for super cheap. I got my jewelery from Lulu Splendor from Etsy - she was fantastic and custom made pieces based on a picture of my dress.

Celebrant - Cecelia Brooke - 5/5 - um, she's my mum! :D

Bridesmaids - House of Brides - 4/5 - Takes a while for the dresses to arrive and they don't email at all to advise of progess, but saved $140 per dress so can't really complain! The dresses were altered by MIL.

Groom/Groomsmen - Spurling - 2/5 - The suits were nice and they were all here and ready in time, but the owner tends to be very rude and it made the process unenjoyable for me and for the boys which was a shame.

Hair and Make Up - Blush Hair and Make Up - 5/5 - Totally happy with all our hair and make up which was beautiful and stayed neat all day and night! The girls came to us so we could chill and we didn't feel rushed.

Flowers - Blush Floral - 5/5 - I went all out on flowers and Rachel did not dissappoint! Our bouquets were big and beautiful and our reception room looked alive.

Photographer - Posh Photography - 5/5 - Ian is the absolute BEST! He is on the expensive side, but he is professional, increadibly experienced and has beautiful ideas and is a pleasure to have around for the day.

Videographer - Trendy Jeanes - 5/5 - TJ are waaaaay cheaper than any of the other options, but their work is just as professional and creative and they know exactly what to do and when so as not to interrupt or anything.

DJ - Millennium Entertainment - 5/5 - Danny was fantastic and know how to fill the dance floor and also coordinate garter toss etc. He was also a great price for the whole night.

String Quartet - Cairns String Quartet - 5/5 - CSQ played for our ceremony and were professionally presented and sounded beautiful.

Cake - Plaza Cake Shop - 4/5 - The cake was yummy and looked great. Only issue was the price which was pretty high for a fairly simple cake.

Doves - Cairns White Doves - 4/5 - A little lacking in communication, but the doves were beautiful and presented well in a heart cage.

Stationary - Ebay - 5/5 - I made all my stationary myself so everything was matchy matchy. (Although I would recommend just paying someone to do it because it all takes a bloody long time to do!) Ebay was great to get paper and bits and pieces for a decent price.

Transport - Southern Cross Limos - 5/5 - Great service and beautiful car which got us around as and when we needed.

Far out there is a lot involved in weddings! That's all I can remember for now. Feel free to ask questions!

Kilkenny Cat

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 am

Hi girls,

thanks a million for all your help. I'm a little scared of Cairns as it appears that it does rain quite a lot in January. So I'm off to Melbourne :D . I have family coming from South Korea and I would definitely turn into Bridezilla if it rained whilst they were here. Thanks for all the advice :P

megsmay7

Terrible Experience in Cairns

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Just thought I would come on here to quickly let everyone know what a terrible experience I had this weekend with a dress shop in Cairns (not mentioning names, but lets say it rhymes with Hurling shall we).
Firstly, Let me explain my story so far. About a year and a half ago (before I was even engaged) I was looking online through google at wedding dresses, and I found my dream dress. It was exactly what I wanted, so being me I saved it to my computer from google images, without saving WHERE i found it! So once me and my FH became engaged, I started getting a little worried, trying to find the dress online. I was unable to find it anywhere, so I went to Jill Burston for Brides in Mackay (who I cant recommend HIGHLY enough!) and found a beautiful dress that “would do”, paid a deposit, and went back to Townsville. Once getting home, I posted on here the picture of my dream dress, and lo and behold within no time someone had found it, on a chinese knockoff site. I still couldnt find the proper designer, and since the dress was so cheap ($300 including postage) I purchased the dress. Once I had done this, someone found the designer of the dress, and let me know that it was available from a “Hurling”, with the nearest being in Cairns... My china-version arrived, and though beautiful, would only be suitable for a Trash the dress photo session as it was just missing those special elements that the real one had. I decided I wanted to see the real dress, and if it was everything I dreamed of, buy it and have the two. And so my story begins...
1) I called Hurlings to see if they had the dress, got a voicemail so left a message with my number and explained what the dress was.
2) Next day, in the afternoon, still hadn’t heard so I called again. This time got the owner, who was rude and abrupt, said she had got my message but was out and hadn’t had time to chase everyone up. Said she would order the dress in from one of the other chains so I could try on, but would let me know if she could get it in time or not (I set this weekend aside for the trip). Asked for my email and said it was easiest to contact (but didn’t give me hers).
3) A week went by, still hadn’t heard anything so I called again. She asked if I was a bride for a different dress, which I said No, and she remembered me. Still hadn’t ordered the dress. Said she would do so and would let me know two days before I arrived in Cairns if it was in or not.
4) Never heard anything.
5) Arrived in Cairns, went to shop 15 minutes earlier, happy to browse and wait I was so excited. She brought out the sample dress and said “Here it is!!” IT WAS THE WRONG DRESS! I told her and she said “are you sure?” really? Am I sure? *eye roll*. I said yes, my dress was the AN0127, I described it in detail. She said, “let’s go see the book, this is the right order I am sure”. Got the book out with the dresses and lo and behold I was right. “oh” she says “this is a different dress”. I almost cried right then and there. This was the dream dress I have been waiting to see for over a year and a half and she ordered the wrong dress and didn’t even sincerely apologise! She explained that my dress was only 2 months old, and probably not even available yet... Seems strange when I found the dress well over a year ago! Then told me to choose some dresses I liked from the store to try on... When I had chosen she asked me if I had ever tried a dress with a straight waist on like my dream dress and she didn’t think it would suit... I told her my dream dress actually goes down on a small diagonal on the waist (I swear I looked at that dress more than her!). I then told her I had bought the dress from china, but wanted to try on the real one to see if it had that extra spark that the other was missing. She turned very nasty, told me that the china dresses are so cheap because they are crap, and then said “well we will only try on a few of these as I don’t want to waste my time”. Put me in a changeroom (where I had to breathe very deeply as I was struggling not to cry), she came in with the first dress, put it over my head and ripped it off again saying “your body is very deceiving, you are definitely not a 10.” Then walked out with it, stood outside the changeroom (while there were at least 5 others out there, and said loudly “you wont fit into any of these dresses, you are too big, here try this” and passed through one of my last selections. I stood into it, and walked out for her to tie me up. A mother of someone else was near us as the owner then began “I wont bother tying it up because it will take too long, but as you can see its quite simple and boring and not very flattering at all. There you go” and motioned me back to the changeroom, adding “these other dresses are just the same, you don’t need to try them on. You are done.”...
I have never met a woman so unkind and outwardly rude in all of my life. I am usually a very shy person when on my own with strangers, and she did nothing to make me feel comfortable, but instead went out of her way to be nasty, and personally insult me in front of others. I walked out of the changeroom and without even looking at me she said “bye. Have fun planning your wedding”.
I will NEVER return to that shop. I would rather fly to Brisbane or Sydney to the chains to buy the dress than spend a cent towards someone so unprofessional and rude.
On a positive note, Jocelyn at Jill Burston for Brides knows about my situation, and has found a supplier willing to send the dress to her especially for me, so I can purchase it through their business. For someone who wants to have a fun experience, with someone who obviously loves her job, you can not go past Jocelyn at Jill Burston in Mackay.

sashmanash

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Yep they have a DREADFUL reputation here. Even calling to ask about trying on suits was an absolute nightmare. If someone opened up a suit hire place with quality suits and decent service, they'd make a killing. It's too bad they have much nicer suits than most of the other places. The owner is just so so rude.

rlarf

Re: Cairns - Suits

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 pm

I too recently have had a horrendous experience with the same supplier, despite making an appointment, and speaking over the phone - When I turned up after a 16hrs drive (thats right 16hrs) she couldn't give me the time of day, and proceded to be condesending and rude about the fact that we had already purchased a suit and were trying to match it. They absolutely ruined my day!!!! :x

But on an up note - the girls at Rogder David couldn't do enough to help us, they even rang around their other stores for purchase stock to help match a suits for the groomsman and offer a hire service for anyone that is interested in Cairns. They are A+ in service and helpfulness. :)

Future Mrs T

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Any Brides out there getting married in Cairns next year! im getting married November 2012. Im from regional NSW so any help or info with hairdressers, cakes, makeup etc would be great!

KattNWozz

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 pm

We also went to "that" suit hire place!
Wouldnt give us the time of day as our wedding was 10mths away.

We ended up buying suits from Ed Harry.

Cannot wait to get married this year!!!!!!

LittleMissBride
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Getting married in June 2012 and still looking for a reception venue, Ceremony is at Paronella Park (Mena Creek). Small intimate wedding reception dinner is the plan with approx 22 people so am looking for somewhere pretty with decent food and either a small private room or section. Cairns, Palm Cove or surround. Nothing too shabby/tacky/cafe, I want something elegant with amazing food. Any recs appreciated!

sashmanash

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

LittleMissBride wrote:
Getting married in June 2012 and still looking for a reception venue, Ceremony is at Paronella Park (Mena Creek). Small intimate wedding reception dinner is the plan with approx 22 people so am looking for somewhere pretty with decent food and either a small private room or section. Cairns, Palm Cove or surround. Nothing too shabby/tacky/cafe, I want something elegant with amazing food. Any recs appreciated!

Just wanted to check you realise Paronella Park is 1 hr from Cairns and 1.5 to Palm Cove?

Good restaurants are Tamarind (in Cairns), Cest Bon (in Cairns), Reef House Restaurant (at Palm Cove). Food alone would probably be $80-100 pp for a three course meal.

You could also look at hiring one of the penthouses at Palm Cove or Cairns and getting private catering.

If you are getting married on a Saturday, you may have some difficulty in getting caterers at such short notice as there are limited suppliers in Cairns.

SweetSerenity

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Ladies - My name is Aidan and i own Sweet Serenity, I am a local cake decorator and baker. I work from home in my licensed kitchen and all my cakes are made from scratch. I hae been told my prices are great and have had nothing but great reviews on all my flavours ( Currently at 19 ) I also offer Gluten Free, Lactose Free and Vegan Cakes. Please feel free to check out my website at http://www.sweetserenity.net.au or you can look me up on facebook at sweet serenity cairns. I am also doing Dessert Tables and Lolly Buffets.

Have some great Weddings booked this year i sometimes get more excited at the bride when i fall in love with a design. Have this gorgeous cake booked in 2013 which is Red and Black very Gothic looking cake. Will be covered in crystals. Its going to be stunning.

Future Mrs T

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi,

I am actually looking for a buffet supplier in Cairns. I would love to know more about prices etc.

Thanks Kel
GZIP: On | Load: 0.37