Re: Cairns

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 pm

btw - REALLY GOOD to hear from you Mum

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Does anyone know a good mobile manicure service person? Thinking i might have the two bridesmaids, the two mums and me spend the afternoon before hand drinking champers and being pampered. Can't drink and drive so thinking someone will need to come to use :-) 8)

Breesmum
I survived and got married

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Hey Sorry i've been MIA for a while. Have had a lot going on. Moved etc.

we had decided there for a while to have our wedding back down in NSW but after going through all the figures etc its going to cost us a few more grand to do it which meant that I would have had to wait longer. I just wasn't happy with that lol. So now finally its up here again he he. I'm a determined woman.

Anyway just wanted to pop back in and say Hi!

Breesmum

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 am

where is everyone?

Thatsrandom65

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:35 am

We're getting married on Ellis Beach in April 09. Can't wait!!!

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi there Cairns Girls
Wedding Expo at Shangri-La (The pier) on Jan 19th 09
xoxox All the best 09 girls
xoxo

moranbahbride
Black Lung Bride
Black Lung Bride

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Cairnsgirl - how did your wedding go??

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:18 pm

moranbahbride wrote:
Cairnsgirl - how did your wedding go??

Hey there! It went really well thanks for asking... :) , the day was super warm though (warning to all brides picking Nov to get married in Cairns... lol) Think it was the warmest day in cairns on record or something... lol..Only fainted the once, guests were abit hot but it didn't rain which was good... lol..
We took the approach that we wanted to work with people/suppliers that were going to make our day (and also the planning process) as easy as possible. It was hard juggling a full time job, a relationship, friends, family and plan a wedding.. It was very overwhelming but we kept it simple and all went smoothly.
Firstly my wonderful husband on the day, he popped in and out of the room when I was getting ready (just to make sure everything was ok) and we got to spend alot of lovely alone time together during the day/night. It was wonderful

The celebrant was amazing! It was a very personal and romantic ceremony, everything I thought it would be, I giggled through most of it (have no idea why...lol) but my husband thanked me for it later because he was abit teary and said it I had a cry he would have too... So the giggles calmed us both down... :)

Extremely extremely happy with the photographer! Amazing pics, we are just sorting through the selection so we can get prints. I can't recommend them enough. It made me feel much better about how much planning etc went into the day to see such beautiful photo's come out of it...

Hair/Makeup was good, nothing like the trial however even with the pic's we had infront of us (which is what I liked to begin with) Abit peeved to begin with but didn't let it get to me on the day, I was abit unhappy that I had to pay them...

Magical cake!!!! deliverd and decorated on the day (from innisfail) she even sent me a text message wishing me all the very best! Cake was wonderful! Money well spent

Flowers! Talk about service. I ordered peonies, they only available for 2 weeks of the year and come from Tasmania! And flown to Cairns! Still came under my $200 budget!!! Then the florist loaned me a vase to keep them in and secetures to cut the stems (I picked them up on a saturday for a sunday wedding). You never hear of anyone loaning anything for free these days! The peonies lasted for a week even with cut stems etc... She ordered heaps so that she could use the perfect ones for my arrangement...

The reception went very well, the staff were very nice and helpful. It's just such a pity that I didn't get to eat anything (after spending so much time planning the menu). Was too busy mingling etc...

Any questions please let me know.. :)

We are off on our honeymoon in 19 days. I really can't wait!

P.S let me know if anyone needs some help at the wedding expo those things are so much fun...lol
xoxoxoxo

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Oh it sounds like it all went wonderfully. if you don't mind, can you make a list of your suppliers? I have alreayd booked mine but it's always nice to hear who is great and who's not.

:D

futurebridezilla

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi thought I'd come in and introduce myself and tap into the local knowledge. I'm Emily and my FH and I were engaged in August this year. We're living in South east QLD at the moment but the last two years we did a stint up North, Mission Beach. Anyway I think I've finally convinced FH to have our wedding in either Cairns, Palm Cove or Kuranda in Jan next year, hopefully. So I'm trying to organise everything from down here and I have no idea where to start. I've sent a few emails around to a few places up there and I've absolutely fallen in love with the Angsana (sp?) chapel, but FH and I had a holiday in Kuranda and really loved it there too. So at the moment I think we're having our reception at Kuranda resort and spa. We're only having a small wedding, we're flying our immediate family and close friends up and will probably invite some friends we met up there so I think there will only be about 30 guests. But I'm sure to have a heap of questions and I'm hoping to get some ideas of you ladies (if that's alright)

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a celebrant. We want someone who is going to be personal and just relaxed. Does anyone have any good recs??

Thanks,
Emily.

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Deleted due to http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 07,00.html - Disgusting!!!!
Last edited by Panthus on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 am

Hi there Emily and Panthus
We used Kay Earl as our celebrant. My FH picked her out when we went to a wedding expo. She had a couple of meetins with us and from that wrote alittle about how we are together. It was very touching and lovely. She gave us the printed version of the ceremony on the day beautifully bound which is a wonderful momento. I can't recommend her enough. She was $450.00 then we paid extra for the fancy wedding cert so it came to $475.00. She even popped into my room for a chat before bringing me down to the ceremony. Made me really calm... :)

We used Ivy Florist for the flowers! Small place in Cairns, extrememly artistic and you get much more for your money that at a couple of the other places in Cairns that I got prices from. My flowers did come from Tassie so the quotes I got for them were outrageous from other supplies. Can't recommend Ivy enough. My GF got her flowers through her as well. For under $175 she got (all orchids) 1 bouqet for bride, 2 for bridesmaids, 4 button holes (1 groomsmen, 2 best men, 1 dad) 4 corsages (for the ladies plus flower girl). They were stunning!!

Cake: Leanne from "Cakes by design" in Innisfail. She was so super helpful. We had traditional ivory icing, 2 tiered (chocolate cake bottom, fruit cake top). It was wonderful!! Driven from Innisfail to Cairns for an extra delivery fee of $20. I am sure that doesn't even cover the cost of a tank of petrol for her!!! CAke was $290.00 but everyone (even the chef's in my family) commented on that it was THE best cake they have ever had!!! A cheaper option (and the people were just so lovely) is Pastry Sensastions Cairns! They do normal sponge, the cakes look great! plus for no charge they will put aside a "tasting" for you!!! I recommend them because they were so helpful even though I didn't use them.

Photographer: My wonderful photographer was from Rosewood Photography. She tailored a package to our budget and was so lovely and helpful! Because of all the emotions of the day etc. Afterwards I was on abit of a downer worried it wasn't all I wanted it to be... That was until I got my proofs back.. WOW!!! Even I am blown away about how stunning it was.. I am so glad we budgeted so much for the photographs... It was money well spent!!!

Any other questions please let me know... :)

P.S Emily, Kuranda resort and spa is wonderful place. I fell in love with angsana as well! All the very best with your choices... :)
Much love
xoxoxxdo

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:08 am

Deleted due to http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 07,00.html - Disgusting!!!!
Last edited by Panthus on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 am

Congrats on the cake! You wont be disappointed! I was quoted nearly twice as much by a place in Cairns for exactly the same cake! I've had the pleasure of having a cuppa with her and her mum when they popped up to cairns to drop cakes off (so I could look at the books of cake pic's she had). Wonderful lady!

Hair and Makeup by Savvy Hair and Makeup. I found they were the only ones I chatted to that were excited and didn't cost all that much to come to my room on a Sunday. The trial was great, we nutted out the style and they kept the picture I had brought it. When it came to the day the original makeup artist was sick so another lady came. Didn't bring all the makeup they said they would (they had mineral makeup for older skin aka mum and young makeup neopolian perdis for younger skin), The hair stylist brought the photo I gave her, I had a photo of the hair style we both agreed and remembered what it looked like, then when she finished 1.5 hours before I was to go to the ceremony she showed me in the bathroom mirror and it looked nothing like that I had asked for. I didn't say anything because I was worried that it would be worse it they re-did it so we paid them and they left. I didn't tell anyone except the hubby that they stuffed up. I know it's only the hair but it wasn't the look I was after on the day. My hair and makeup was $165.00, mum and sisters was 155 each. I think it was over priced for what I got.

Who are you thinking of going with panthus?

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 am

Last edited by Panthus on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

futurebridezilla

Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm going to look into the Innisfail lady Leanne for the cake, that seems like a good price and we'd only be wanting a small cake and I'd like a mud cake on the bottom and fruit cake for the top too. And we used to live in Mission Beach so spent a bit of time in Innisfail so I like the idea of supporting local businesses and I think it could be somewhat romantic to ge tthe cake there. Now I'm really excited about it.

Thanks for the recs on the celebrants. I'll have a look into both of them.

So for the flowers I'd only be wanting roses and having two bouquets and some rose petals or something for my daughter to have as she's flower girl and I guess some buttonholes. Can anyone tell me what sort of price I'd be looking at, I have no idea on how much things actually cost. Any other recs I'd really appreicate. It's a bit hard to organise when you're not there.

Thanks again. And it's good to hear such positive recs from people, makes me more confident in our choice to marry up that way.

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Panthus wrote:
Thank you for all that.

I have booked in with Rachael Gregory. It's not cheap though i may add (sadly). SHe is bringing out another lady to help her as there will be about 5 of us on the day. I'm also not having a trial as i live in sydney so it's living on the edge sort of stuff. A few girls on the palm cove website recommended her so thats how i got her name. I was hoping you weren't going to say her name :-)

I've heard good things about rachael gregory, she did the makeup for a bridal mag up here. Very nice. I think you will be happy with your choice... :)

Also Emily re: flower costs, if you email any places in Cairns with a picture (or check out their website) they will be able to give you an approximate costing. I did find that alot of suppliers said that Ivy florist was cheaper because they have less staff/over heads then Rainforest and Wedding Bells (which is another popular place in Cairns). Just make sure you ask approx number of flowers in bouquet, I did that so I could gauge what I was paying for... Ivy did a bouquet of minimum 24 peonies (large beautiful flowers) for $150 however Rainforest WEdding Bells said it would be approximately 12 flowers fr $200. Email and ask heaps of questions... :)

Re: Leanne at Cakes By Design, she is very popular, make sure you book her in when I had a cuppa with her she (back in Sept) she had something like 10-12 cakes to deliver on one weekend... :)

Much Love
xoxo

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Last edited by Panthus on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panthus
Born To Be Bold
Born To Be Bold

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Bit like this cake

cairnsgirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Nice cake!!!! :) Shouldn't be too expensive
Our dimensions were
Cake size - Bottom tier 11" ( 29cm) round
Top tier 7" ( 18cm) round
I could give this to the florist as well to gauge how big to make the cake decoration out of peonies... :) Bottom tier mudcake didn't last long (everyone loved it so much), it was so so so beautiful, when I rang leanne re: dropping back the cake board (plus a thankyou note) I asked if she will do birthday cakes!!! So worth it.. :)

P.S Your flowers are stunning!!!! You have to allow yourself some "expensive" things you wanted.... My husband told me that, we had a budget to try and stick by but allowed for certain expensive things like the cake and photographer... You will be happy you had lovely flowers!!! Promise
GZIP: On | Load: 0.51