A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Re: Townsville

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:55 pm

I had pooles & couldnt have been happier. They were right on with the music and everything. I was a bit worried 2 days before when I dropped off the lists that I had completed- i got told that hey were old( i had got them the year before at Riverway expo) & that they only requested the "important" songs.. I was like um.. well i did that too- on another piece of paper- & i asked if she could just send the otehr "useless" paper so that the dj knew what we wanted.
Not sure if it happened or not but there was a great range of music, young & old & they even tracked down a really old song that we wanted to dedicate to DH grandma who passed away before the wedding.. They also surprised us with a burnt disc of all the songs we had requested & arranged them in order and added a few top 40 current songs that were requested throughout the night. I found it very personal & even my old fogie in laws commented that they enjoyed the music. Only thing was it was a bit loud towards the end when we were trying to wind things down but a quick word to the dj & that was fixed up. They supplied a bubble machine which DID NOT make the floor wet & slippery - i had the same concern. It must be some special bubble mix... :roll:

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm

oh getting rid of my excess stuff too on Ebay...

140330960522 - pink petals

140331531558 - mini frames for bouquets etc

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 pm

We were going to do the ipod but didn't want to have to rely on someone to do it, id be worried they would get drunk and there would be big silences with no music :lol: for the price of DJ Rod I thought it was well worth it. I'm pretty sure he has a smoke machine too. He does heaps and heaps of weddings as well as the DJing for the Cowboys and Crocs games. His other DJ, Paul (aka spaghetti cos of his surname and 3 other Pauls in the same unit at work) is very thoughtful. He sits near my desk and the day my dress arrived, I was opening it with a crowd of people watching me and he played the wedding march song from his computer :lol:

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks Kimberlina.. :wink:

I am also needing to get rid of 3 long bits of tulle. i bought the expensive stuff :roll: $30 for all of it- that way it was soft & "bent" more easily & sat better in the back of the cars.. It HAS been used but obviously there is nothign wrong with it. I had some of the petals sprinkled over it & it looked GREAT!.. I will sell it half price! so $15 if anyone interested..

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am

What did you use the tulle for Rach?

We have cars! :mrgreen: getting 2 Calais from Avis. Thrifty didn't have any BMW's left and Acacia didn't have anything either. So with Avis we will definatly get Calais as they are the only car in that class, there is nothing "similar" just don't know if we can get them in the same colour. They mostly come in white or silver so should be ok.

kimberley_a

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi girls,

I am getting married here in T'ville 1st May next year and just have a question about cars. Originally we were going to have the Chrysler 300C's from Thrifty, but we have spoken to them this week and they told us that they will be getting rid of all wedding cars as of March next year. Apparentley they have too much trouble dealing with weddings (their words) and are not going to supply any wedding vehicles at all. So now we arent sure what we should do and there really doesnt seem to be many other options in town for wedding cars... Can you guys help with any other ideas for wedding cars??? :)
Thanks!

lolliehollie
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 pm

There is another lot who have BMWs and Hummers.....they don't have a website but give them a call. I'm not sure on pricing or whether there are drivers as well AABA - 4775 4188. Otherwise AVIS have Statesman and Calais for hire but you'll need to do your own decorations and provide your own driver.....and Arcacia Limousines also has sedans etc

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Thats a bugger about thrifty not doing the wedding cars.. I guess it would be a pain as they are prob hired nearly every weekend- therefore preventing someone that is up on holidays wanting to hire it for a whole week or something from using it.. so yeah, that is my thought! LOL AABa car rental is a bit on the disorganised side of things, we were there for over an hour waiting to fill out the paper work then they ended up giving us this really old no name brand of car- it looked like a lancer STATION WAGON (not hatch!!) Crossed with an old VS commodore... weird.. we had ordered a hyandai getz for a wedding guest.. Oh well - it still worked- that was the main thing!

RE the tulle- we used it on the for above the back seat.. i think its called a parcel rack, even though you would never actually put parcels up there :roll: :lol: I dunno- the part behind the back seats- gives it more of a wedding look. I bought soft tulle so it would bend neatly- I have had bad experiences in past weddings where the tulle was so hard ($2m crap) that it would fling into the back of us bm's hair- it was rough as flyscreen!! SO I paid $7 per metre.. I got enough for the 3 cars - it looked quite effecive. I (DH) added rose petals too. You can sorta see it in this happy snap! It just makes the car look more weddingy rather than an everyday car!
Last edited by rach85 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimberlina81
I survived and got married

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:48 am

Just another little tidbit of info (just in case anyone searches for it later) Move and Groove also have a thing called a star ball which is probably what we'll have to hire. It is about $45 and is a complete kit, you just plug it in. It sits on the floor. Would take all of 15 seconds to set up as opposed to a mirror ball. It looks something like this.

starball.gif

My bigger concern (with the mirror ball) was getting it down because it has to be down at the end of the night (as the venue is really strict) and all my guests will have been drinking and the people we've hired to do the packing up are only 17 so I wouldn't feel comfortable with them packing away an expensive mirror ball.
Last edited by kimberlina81 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Does anyone know where to get a good spray tan?

I need one on Monday but the place I normally go to, Speedy Tan, isn't open on Mondays :cry:

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi ladies,

Well i'm actually getting across to Townsville this weekend- and have all day friday to do wedding stuffs. Have booked a meeting withe the celebrant, unfortunately photographer will be out of town. Going to go check out the venue for sun etc, and have a look at some possible photograph locations. I also need to find someone to do hair (makeup sorted), and would prefer someone that comes to us- does anyone have any suggestions??

Also, i'm currently doing the 12 week challenge at the gym, and have a cardio session i need to do on friday- can anyone give me a heads up to where i might find a gym??

Thanks,
Bonnie

kimberlina81

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Spray tan - I've never had one but a few people I've spoken to in the known (my beautician etc) all recommend a product called St Tropez. Bellanova do it professionally or there is a diy product available too from Priceline. Apparently it looks a lot more natural (brown rather than orange) and suits more people. It is $46 from Bellanova (not including a scrub or anything) so it is not your cheapest option.

I was going to get one but they aren't recommended for problem skin and I'm allergic to just about everything and almost anything will make me break out. :roll:

As for the gym, I highly recommend Tropical Bodies. They have a month for $29 as a trial as well as a special 12 week fat loss program (I no longer have the price for that sorry). I went there for my trial and was going to join but then termites were found in the yard (thankfully not in the house) but cost just over $2000 to eradicate! So no gym for me....

kimberlina81

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Oops just realised what you were asking.

I still recommend tropical bodies. It is $15 for a casual pass.

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:43 pm

taralee06 wrote:

I need one on Monday but the place I normally go to, Speedy Tan, isn't open on Mondays :cry:

Sorry! I only ever use Dulcie as well! SHe is super awesome! Why you need it Monday??

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Holy crap bonnie 8O Please forgive me.. you were the person I was supposed to take photos of the strand for. Went down there a couple of times- a few times by accident without my camera & once with my camera & the batteries were dead :( sorry
As for hairdresser. HIGHLY HIGHLY rec Cerrie from Moon. SHe will come to you with this massive big humungous mens toolchest full of hair stuff LOL Her number is 47 2 333 66. She is a trooper - was sick as a dog for my big day bu she got it all done...
As for gyms, I am doing the challenge too- through Domain Fitness. They are great there, very modern facilites & people dont look stuck up like at other gyms...No idea about prices. we paid 590 for annual..

Kimberlina, I hope the petals were the right tone, i forgot ask! :oops: & the light ball looks cool. good idea - will save heaps of stress & effort over the mirror ball..

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:05 pm

rach85 wrote:
taralee06 wrote:

Sorry! I only ever use Dulcie as well! SHe is super awesome! Why you need it Monday??

I'm so bummed she doesnt work on Mondays. I'm going on holidays on Tuesday :mrgreen:

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

taralee06 wrote:
rach85 wrote:
taralee06 wrote:

I'm so bummed she doesnt work on Mondays. I'm going on holidays on Tuesday :mrgreen:

Try getting it done n Sat or Sun - not sure if she DOES work then wither but that way its fully set for your holiday. I usually get mine done on Wed or Thur if I wanna look hot for a function on Sat!

Leah3810

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey all.

Has anyone used Craig from Pinky's disco? I got a package from him and he seemed really nice. Would be great to get some feedback if anyone has used him before. Plus the reception venue is throwing in free accommodation for him for the night, yay!!!

Thanks!

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 pm

had Pinkys for my 21st & my mums 50th. 8O :x :x WHAT A DISASTER! He had NO personality & hardly any songs even tho they claimed they did when we booked. I mean who doesnt have Friends in low places?? Not just that, other popular songs at the time... Was a couple of years back but his name was Craig then... AND REALLY UNPLEASANTLY loud & he wouldnt turn it down!!!

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:38 pm

rach85 wrote:
Holy crap bonnie 8O Please forgive me.. you were the person I was supposed to take photos of the strand for. Went down there a couple of times- a few times by accident without my camera & once with my camera & the batteries were dead :( sorry
As for hairdresser. HIGHLY HIGHLY rec Cerrie from Moon. SHe will come to you with this massive big humungous mens toolchest full of hair stuff LOL Her number is 47 2 333 66. She is a trooper - was sick as a dog for my big day bu she got it all done...
As for gyms, I am doing the challenge too- through Domain Fitness. They are great there, very modern facilites & people dont look stuck up like at other gyms...No idea about prices. we paid 590 for annual..

Kimberlina, I hope the petals were the right tone, i forgot ask! :oops: & the light ball looks cool. good idea - will save heaps of stress & effort over the mirror ball..

Thanks Rach- no probs, I know how people get busy busy! Turns out we're going to the V8 ball on friday night now too, so might see if Cerrie can hook me up with a funky hairdo as part of my trial???

And turns out Tropical bodies has a reciprocal agreement with my gym here in Isa, so will definitely check that out!

Thanks ladies!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.14