A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

cubicalbinkie

Re: Townsville

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Congrats Rachael your day looked lovely!

Well, I have managed to set a tentative date for my wedding..being 24th July 2010.
so far this is what I have come up with:

Ceremony: Queens Gardens
Reception Venue: Riverside Gardens Boat House (community centre) also open to other options similar to this?? (if there are any?)
Caterer: Chef on call ..........Does any body have any feed back for any caterers, this is not confirmed as yet!
Decorations: Hire/DIY...I am interested in anyone that may have some for sale from their own wedding! pm me!
Theme: Black, Blush and Ivory
Photographer: Dannielle Cann...(I am only looking for photographer for 4 hours max, I want all photos on disk so I can make my own album later)
-any recomendations??

Does anyone know how I would go about hiring chairs for the ceremony to be delivered 30 mins prior to the ceremony and picked up within half an hour of? Has anyone done this?

Well..this is all very scary..I would love some input/ do's/donts from other townsville girls!!

mrslittle
Happy in love ♥
Happy in love ♥

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 am

Racheal, congratulations your wedding was gorgeous. I'm also have 2 black hummers and a black dodge for my wedding next year in May.

Hi cubicalbinkie,

I'm getting married on May 1st next year in Townsville - I'm super excited. I'm getting married at the Anderson Gardens!

We're going with Andrew Kos photography he is really well priced. This is his website if you want to check him out. www.andrewkosphotography.com
I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible and his price was the best and he also seems like a really nice guy, which always helps I think?

We're having our reception at The Orchid Society Hall and also got the hall at a great price too, which is great. We are going with for our Caterer "Coast to Roast", there pricing is good too, and my mate had them at her wedding and they did a good job of that
I'm hiring our cars (2 hummers and a dodge) from AABA but I've got them over night and I'm not sure what the price's etc are for a few hours, maybe give them a call and inquire. Limo's are super dear here in Townsville and they only fit 6 people (our wedding party is 9 people), that's why we went with hiring of the cars. I also looked into the Stretched Tropical Jeep there pricing wasn't too bad and they can fit 9 people I think. 8)

For my deocrations we are doing alot ourselves (when I say we I mean myself and my Nan who is super crafty thank goodness). Behind the Bridal Table we're having a curtain made from sheer net fabric with fairy lights in it. We're also having a heart sand ceremony (at the park)and the keepsake with be our centrepiece at the reception and maybe also have some tealight candles and of course with table scatters which I love.

For the other tables I'm having vases with candles in it and on the outside of the vases I'm having roses in a 'ring' shape around the vase (I have the vision in my head, so hope that makes sense). We are also having disposable camera's and table scatters. Throughout the hall I will be having a few balloons here and there.

I've been super busy with the booking of everything and I think I've done a pretty good job with booking and paying the deposits on;

Celebrant (Kaylene Watkins - she is so lovely)
Garden for Ceremony
Photographer
Cars
Cake (my mates sister in law is making this for a great price)
Flowers (I'm having silk flowers and I've got them from spotlight)
Got my dress and shoes (my shoes just arrived so pretty)
Booked Hall
Booked DJ (Poole's - a really lovely helpful lady who owns this business)
Caterer
Haved picked BM's dresses, ordering in October
Have got my blue (garter), borrowed (veil), new (dress) and old (brootch which is over 100 years old, has been handed down in the family)
My Nan bought me the most gorgeous gorgeous ring cushion for our ring boy (which is my handsome son), its silver which is part of my theme
Have the Dates have been sent - Nan made these
Invitation paper has been purchased and my nan and me are going to make these (FH better hide alot of arguements happen around this time with me and my nana hehe)
Have purchased the bomboniere for the ladies, pretty little cardboard handbags which will be filled with almonds.
Have booked the make up and hair stylist for the day

That's everything I've organised so far. But have so many things that I know we want! Our daughters will be our flower girls and have picked out the pretty dresses I want for them. And as I said above our little man (who will be 8 ) is our page boy/ring boy and I've also picked his gorgeous suit. The kids are also particpating in the sand ceremony to make them feel involved in the wedding day, I think that will be really special.

Our colours/theme for the day is burgundy, silver and love hearts.

Hope everything is going well with your plans! Would be great to see more of your plans once you've made more. Hope I didn't ramble on too much lol!
Oh my goodness sorry its so long :)

rachael78
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Who did you pro photography Rachael?

Donna from Northern Exposure she was amazeing cant recommend her enough!!

other recs for photographers would be rob bagnal he is cheap and you get photos on disk and we would have had him but he gets booked out very quick.
and as for chairs we got them through doug edes they came set them up at 230 and picked them up at 345 and for 36 chairs and the red carpet it was only $140... i think, i now it was cheap.

always prepare that people can be thoughtless when it comes to weddings, we had 8 people pull out the day before the wedding 2 of those the day of the wedding, 2 were sick (not the ones that pulled out the day of the wedding) so thats fair enough the others sorry i got called into work or oh i booked a photo shoot for that day,some of the lame excusses. and its not just the meals that were paid for 2 weeks before but the decorations for their seats the bonbonaires ect so it put us out $500, and 7 of them were family!
IF you are on a budget dont worry about chair covers or ties most people thought them annoying as they kept getting caught up in them and with table decorations and everyone at their tables the place looks great so thats my little advice if could do it over i would have saved myself $400 and not worried about it.

rachael78
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 pm

oh i have pro shots in my show and tell if you want a look.

kimberlina81
I survived and got married

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 pm

I pick up my pros this arvo, can't wait!! :o

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Your pros are gorgoues Rachael! You must be so happy with them! I :heart: your cake! Who made it?

I went and seen Marie Smith today and our cake and she was so lovely!

Can't wait to see your pics kimberlina!

kimberlina81

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am

Hi all,

A couple of photos... I'll put the rest up in the appropriate thread.

These are all by Roy Leigh.
Roy-Leigh---Kim---web2.jpg

Roy-Leigh---Kim---web.jpg

Zen060.JPG

kimberlina81

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:40 am

ZEN_0705-copy.jpg

Roy-Leigh---Kim---web3.jpg

Flowers by Deb Carter - Artistic Flowers (Fairfield Precinct)

rachael78
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:48 am

WOW kimberlina81 you looked stunning the flower pots looked great!
Marie smith made my cake she did an excellent job and only $350 janines wanted $580 to do the same cake.

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 am

WOW they are gorgeous photos!

lolliehollie
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 pm

wow Kimberlina...your photos are amazing. Am hoping to have mine back before we leave on Sunday but that's a big ask!

We had a few people pull out last minute too....one had a son who had a baby and was visiting him interstate - however the baby was born 4 days before the wedding yet they still didn't bother telling us they wouldn't be coming (surely you would know???). We had someone pull out the day before because they had to work 8O and 1 person who just didn't bother turning up. Luckily we had some last minute yeses so we didn't pay for people who weren't there - but my seating plan was all over the place with tables of 7 and tables of 13 and the FPIL refusing to move their friends around to make the tables more even (even though it was their friends who didn't come)

I had DJ Rod (well Justin actually) and he was great. I also had a friend MC (she has her own business called Statement! Events) and she was fantastic and looked after everything on the night as well. I gave her the timetable and she did everything else.

We did all our own decorations and set up the night before. It made it so much easier because the people involved could relax on the actual day. I bought chair covers and I must say it made a HUGE difference to the look of the place. I'm glad I got them. I had a crafty friend make the silk arrangements for the bridal table and they were lovely, she also did the centrepieces which were fishbowl type things with pink water in them, floating candles and a feather boa thing around the base (sounds odd but matched out theme). We also had an archway that we decorated and used in Queens Gardens which was lovely and really stood out.

Our bonbonniere was lipstick cases for the girls, and tiny hipflasks for the guys. It worked out at about $1 per person and not one was left at the end of the night (if someone didn't take theirs, it was soon snapped up by someone else) - which was great because I have been to so many weddings where it's all left behind.

kimberlina81

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi lolliehollie,

Roy mentioned that he did your wedding as well.
He took a week and a half to do my photos and he originally said 3 weeks so you never know your luck, do you?

We had no-one pull out who had been officially invited, although several people who had asked to come to the ceremony/had been asked to the ceremony didn't show up, which I thought was a bit strange, but c'est la vie eh? I had one person who for the last six months had been letting me know she was coming to the ceremony who didn't show up. I even had sent her all the details, so she knew it was on. Our seating plan worked really well I think. We had mostly tables of 10 and the bridal table was 8.

Being that we only had the venue from 7am, we had no choice but to set up in the morning. I'm told everyone (my 'set up team' - my new sisters in law and their families, my Aunt and Uncle, my Dad, my FH and his Best Man among a couple of hangers-on who had nothing better to do) was out of there by 11am (after starting at 8am), so that's good. I had a very detailed set up plan and they followed it to the letter and it apparently made it easier for them. I'm an obssessive lsit maker.... :oops: It was exactly how I had hoped, so I couldn't have been happier.

I had lots of little touches that I hope people noticed - vintage ink bottles with a single flower in them scattered on the tables, vintage milk bottles on the dry bars (with flowers), that sort of thing. I also home made SO much stuff... the cake, the desserts (more cake), the bon bons (iced biscuits in a terracotta pot with a seed packet attached), the jar candles outside etc. FH set up the speakers/stereo via a laptop and that worked out really well. The only pooey part was some of the songs he had trouble finding and being a tight a**e he didn't buy the songs from iTunes, he downloaded them off random websites, despite my instructions! So a couple (and luckily it was only 1 or 2) of the songs were dodgy, although high sound quality. For instance, the Grease Megamix (yes, I insisted!) was not the real thing but some random's own Grease mix. :lol: So we skipped that one and went to the next song, Hitchin' a Ride by Greenday I believe!

My sister in law also packed up the place at the end of the night with my Dad and a couple of paid student helpers (I work at a school). I am forever in her debt!

My friend, who is now a JCU lecturer, did our MC'ing. She was AWESOME. I knew she would be though. Everyone said how great she was and I never even thought about the schedule all night.

kimberlina81

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

This was one of the ink bottles.
I bought them off ebay and I am not parting with them, they are gorgeous!

IMGP1784.JPG

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Wow its so great to hear positive stories!

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:38 pm

I've just finished organising the rest of our wedding functions!

On the day before we are having a sausage sizzle on The Stand then going to Cactus Jacks Palmer St for dinner that night. On Sunday (Fathers Day) we are going to Jamacia Joes for lunch. OMG wasn't it a mission organising them and trying to keep everyone happy!

TvlWeddingGirl

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

TvlWeddingGirl wrote:
Hi everyone. Newbie here. I still have a while to go but it's never too early to start planning!!!!! I went to a friends wedding today at Mecure Inn. Reception was held in the "Deck" which overlooks the lake. It was the first time that I had been there and was pleasently surprised what a nice feel it had to it. I am thinking of using the same venue next year. Has anyone else been there before? Also they had a photographer there that I have never heard of before. Derek from QuickSmart Photographics. Has anyone else seen any of his work? He seemed quite easy going and when I spoke to the bride she mentioned that he had done her Sister in law's wedding last year and was very impressed with the photos!

Bridal shops..... I have seen a couple of things I like at Allgoods. Anything I should know about them?

Mecure is looking a little out of our price range. Any suggestions for a more affordable venue?
Spoke to Derek. He seems very accomodating and down to earth.
His website wasn't listed in the yellow pages but here it is...
http://www.quicksmartphotographics.com

There was an article in the paper the other day about buying wedding dresses of Ebay and saving a fortune. Sounds great but I'd be so nervious about buying something sight unseen!!!!! Has anyone else ever bought a wedding dress this way?

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

We are having our reception at the North Queensland Club, they are on Denham Street, right up the end as your turn down to The Strand. They are quite reasonably priced. $400 room hire and they have alternate drop meals and buffets. The price for meals range from I think $30+ and drinks aren't too bad either. The mangaers name is Liam and his number is (07) 4771 2250 or email manager@nqclub.com

I brought my TTD from Zero Love online. Have a look in the budgetting section for heaps of recommendations.

TvlWeddingGirl

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 pm

That is very reasonable. I have never heard of the place. Is it near the CWA hall on the left just before you go ofer the hill towards the strand?

cubicalbinkie

Townsville Caterers?

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Does anyone have any feed back from caterers around Townsville??
I am on the search for a caterer for our wedding.

kimberlina81

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 pm

We had Roux Blond and they were fantastic. My mum is extremely hard to please and they managed to impress her. The food was perfect, the service was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in a heartbeat!!

Where I work, we have used Michel's a fair bit which I find a little bland. He is a wonderful guy and my family know him as my family used to own a restaurant up here (on Palmer St, about 20 odd years ago!). Depends on what you are after, I suppose.

Both are reasonably priced, in my opinion, but they are on the higher end price bracket.

From Roux Blond, we had (we are both vegetarians btw)

Canapés
 Smoked salmon and herb mascarpone en croute with baby capers
 Parmesan and thyme stuffed mushrooms (V)
 Smoked tomato and basil croquettes with panko crumb (V)
 Avocado terrine en croute with semi dried cherry tomatoes (V)
 Pork and shiitake mushroom wonton

Entree – alternate drop
 Barbeque tiger prawns with garlic, parsley and lemon vinaigrette
 Twice cooked pork belly with crisp skin and sticky glaze
 Goats cheese tart with slow roasted tomatoes, pear and pistachio slaw and saffron orange jus (V)

Mains – alternate drop
 Chicken and mushroom pot pie with double smoked bacon
 Roasted herb crusted rack of lamb with sweet potato confit
 Mushroom, truffle and parsley risotto with parmesan crisps (V)

Bouquetière of seasonal vegetables served to each table
Dinner rolls with butter

Dessert – alternate drop
 Wedding cake; mud cake served with berry coulis and cream, and fruit cake served caramel sauce and cream

It was $74 pp for that. Because we had so many options (and quite luxurious ones, I might add), it was probably more expensive than the norm. Please give them a call to get a quote because you won't be disappointed by the quality and service. I am a true foodie (I cooked my own wedding cake), and they absolutely lived up to my expectations!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.52