A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Re: Beach or Winnery??

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 am

CarlyLovesJake wrote:
Hi everyone , i'm new on here and wanted to say hi!!
My FH and i meet on the gold coast 3 yrs ago and now are travelling around Australia.We Just got Engaged while on our trip in Alice springs.
We want to get married back on the goldy , but i'm kinda in two minds , at first we were thinking of having our wedding at a winnery, but after looking into it , it is kinda turning out to be a little expensive.
So now we're considering a beach wedding , maybe at Tugan SLSC or Burleigh SLSC , can anyone give me some feedback of these places please.
Plus i'm still not totally sure about changing venues , i'm totally undersided now.Help!!
Also the fact that we are going to be organising everything over the phone because we'll still be travelling oz and prob will be in Perth just before the wedding.
It all kinda seems inpossible.
:?

We're getting married at Tugun SLSC and the view from the function room is amazing. To use them you have to go through http://www.allaboutvenues.com.au (they won't let people just book straight through them, which is annoying). I think it's the same with Burleigh SLSC too.

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Gold Coast - Part 2

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:26 am

nella wrote:
I have looked at Coolibah Downs and it is amazing! How far would it be from there to Surfers?

depending on traffic about 20 mins on a good run.

lady22bugg

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Has anyone been married at Fellini's in Mudgeeraba or Historic River Mill ? Would love some feedback about these venues

Pixie Wings
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi Ladies!

I thought I would ask this question in here instead of starting whole new thread... I must admit I have not read this whole thread, so if I am asking a question that has already been answered please tell me :lol:

Has anyone had or been to a wedding at the Marriot? I have stayed there more times than I can count and I absolulety ADORE it and I love the idea of getting married there. Do they do weddings for only a small amount of guests? Say 50-60 people? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance!

Cheeky Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Foxy Roxy

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Sorry Pixie Wings and lady22bugg, wish I could help but happy planning

Neptune
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Pixie Wings wrote:
Hi Ladies!

I thought I would ask this question in here instead of starting whole new thread... I must admit I have not read this whole thread, so if I am asking a question that has already been answered please tell me :lol:

Has anyone had or been to a wedding at the Marriot? I have stayed there more times than I can count and I absolulety ADORE it and I love the idea of getting married there. Do they do weddings for only a small amount of guests? Say 50-60 people? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been to a wedding at the Marriot, but their wedding packages, info etc. can be found here

Hope that helps :)

Pixie Wings
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Neptune wrote:
Pixie Wings wrote:
Hi Ladies!

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been to a wedding at the Marriot, but their wedding packages, info etc. can be found here

Hope that helps :)

Thank you!

And can I just add, I love your avatar!

monsta76

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 am

Hi ladies, i know this is a huge ask with all the stuff about holiday rental party houses on the gc but.......does anyone know if there are houses that you can rent on or right near the goldy that u can actually rent for the short term and hold a wedding too?
we havent set a date yet, but my mind is thinking, thinking...lol.

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 am

i dont think there is any houses any more you can hold a wedding at anymore expect for two, and they are the really big ones.. one is in tallai(i think) and i cant remember the other

lady22bugg

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 pm

There is a large house in Tallai called Wings Retreat . I did enquire about it but they will only allow up to 40 people . It is quite expensive - about $1500 per night but 22 people can stay.

monsta76

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 am

hhhmm thanks ladies....what about the panorama. i know a few of you lovelies were talking about that place a few months back. has anyone booked it? would love to know more about it. i just feel like getting married in a house would suit us better....all in the one location, no-one getting kicked out at 11ish, can set up a room for all the kids to watch dvds etc when they are bored....not to mention when they are tired they can all crash out there!!
altho i always thought i would get married on the beach!! lol.

this thread is really quiet, does anyone read this anymore?? :lol:

well hope to hear something back soon :D

lady22bugg

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:39 pm

I've also been checking and no one seems to post on here. I haven't actually booked a venue yet as haven't found the right one. Have you looked at many?

monsta76

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:28 pm

yeah no one seems to come on here lady :( ive only been looking on the internet, and have had a few quotes come back for around 3500-4500k for 3-4 nights!!! 8O ouch!! but still looking, will keep you posted. if you find anything please let me know.

dandas
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Hmm, this thread had died a bit hasn't it!

Sorry I can't help you ladies with houses available, from what I've heard there are only 2 left on the coast that do it and they are quite expensive. I love the idea of partying all night as well though, unlike our venue which shuts down at midnight :(

Good luck on the searching though!

Neptune
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Yea this thread is definitely quiet - not many GC brides on the forum unfortunately.

As for houses I don't know of any really - I have heard that there are a couple but that they are very $$$ and only cater for very small weddings - between 6-20 people. You really have to pay a small fortune for the privacy and exclusivity these venues offer. There is also all kinds of insurance issues which jack the price up.

elsie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Gold Coast brides,

I just wanted to share my recent experience at the Point Restaurant, The Rocks Resort, Currumbin Beach, where I had my wedding reception. I am not normally one to write reviews and I am not sure if I am going to break any forum rules but here goes....

I held my daytime wedding reception at The Point Restaurant last weekend and am still so upset about the service we received from them on our big day that I feel compelled to share my experience and warn anyone else who is considering having their wedding here.

Unfortunately the rain interrupted our ceremony and my guests and ourselves made a mad dash to the restaurant at about 12.15pm. The reception was supposed to start at 1pm but we asked them if they would mind starting the bar service a bit earlier, which was fine with them. However, from the minute we arrived they seemed to go out of their way to make myself, my husband and my guests feel unwelcome at their venue.

The owner and her mother in particular, were surly and sour-faced all day and seemed to hate being there. The mother, who was doing most of the food service (cocktail style food) was surly and rude to my guests and just about everybody that was there commented on her behaviour either on the day or since then. A smiling friendly waiter at a wedding reception can help make everyone's experience a good one, but she was way out of order with her bad attitude to customer service and it was obvious to all that she has no training in hospitality and is only there as a cost cutting measure for the venue. As a friend said to me yesterday, people dont usually remember the food that much but they always remember the service they received and how it made them feel. Without going into specifics (it would take too long!) these people were rude and unpleasant and made us and our guests feel unwelcome all day.

On top of this, we were told that we could supply our i-pods so that we could play some music on the day. However, the owner neglected to mention that we would not be allowed to have the music up to any level that would be audible to anyone. My husband and I, and also some of my guests approached her during the afternoon to see if we could turn it up so that it could be heard, and she refused, even telling some of the guests off for repeatedly asking her. She kept saying that the body corporate laws meant that they couldn't have amplified music. I mean, we weren't asking for blaring music, we just wanted to create a nice vibe for our celebration. Unfortunately this was not allowed to happen. I even had a song for the cake cutting and possible first dance, but it was on so low that I gave up on any idea of that.

Music is an important part of most people's weddings as it was for ours. My husband (who is a muso) had spent many hours putting together playlists for the wedding. Most of the music was a chill-out vibe which surely would not have upset anyone at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. With 50 people drinking and chatting there is a lot of noise anyway so I don’t know why they used the body corporate argument- if there is a problem with noise then they shouldn’t be operating as a wedding venue

The food was another issue. After a previous bad experience with a cocktail style function I had the owner of the Point assure me that there would be plenty of food and no-one would leave hungry. Unfortunately my husband and I missed most of it as we were having photos taken that we couldn’t have earlier due to the weather. But some of my guests, and even my lovely mother who paid for the party, told me that they were surprised when the food service stopped as they didn’t seem to get much food at all. Some guests left to get something to eat at the restaurant next door, much to my horror. For $60 head (now $65) for the food it was really insufficient and a rip-off.

We chose this venue because of the great location and the layout, which is perfect for the type of function we wanted. But these people have too much competition along the strip at Currumbin Beach and there are several other venues doing it so much better. The people at the Point Restaurant need to totally re-assess their attitude to customer service and address the music issue if they are to be taken seriously as a wedding venue.

Elsie

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Ladies i need a new photographer!!! i kicked mine to the curb

looking for a new venue.. its starting to stress me,

has anyone got any good recs for photgrapher and venue?

ATM im thinking the court house or buirliegh surf club checking them out this week

elsie

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Sandy,

I can recommend John Bortolin. He is based in the Byron Bay area but travels to the Gold Coast for weddings and his work is exceptional.

http://www.johnbortolinphotographer.com.au/

We had him as our photographer and on top of being very talented he has a great sense of humour which makes everyone relax and also makes for some great pics!

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:19 pm

thanks for that

i am so glad i 'fired' my photographer.. i sent her such a nice message last night saying i wont need her sevices etc while i loved my epics im over the lies etc..

and she deleted me of her facebook... no message back nothing!! i was pretty gobsmacked..

checking out a venue on wednesday pretty excited will have pictures

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm

I am thinking of using the new southport broadwater parklands for our ceremony has anyone seen it later.. think it would be good?? goig to get a pro to set it up etc.. or should i choose somewhere a bit smaller?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.19