A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Moderator Team
The Mod Squad
The Mod Squad
Topic Author

North Queensland

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Brides getting married in North Queensland - share your ideas, info and stories here.

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: North Queensland

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:03 am

I'm getting married in Mackay, are there any other Mackay Brides?
Tam

mackay

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Tam,
I am getting married in Mackay (hence the very original user name!) - 17th Oct 2009. You?

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Ooohhh LOL Mackay, what an original name. I'm getting married on 1 August. Where are you getting married???
Tam

mackay

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 pm

I am getting married at Ocean International (ceremony + reception). What about you? I am pretty clueless about all this wedding stuff and to be honest I never knew there was so much involved! I am off to bridal expo this weekend to hopefully get some ideas!

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm getting married at the Botanical gardens and the reception the Souths Bowls club. I know, it's SO involved it's crazy, so, so many decisions to make. Sometimes I get fed up with it and just let FH take care of it LOL.
Maybe we should meet up???
Tam

mackay

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Tam, I would like to meet up but I am from south of Sarina so not too sure what time I am getting there (plus I have my mum and my FH's mum coming too so.... I wouldn't do that to you! :lol: ) but hopefully another day???

Oh the Botanical gardens is lovely! I was looking at having my ceremony there but I don't want to hire / borrow cars etc so we decided it was best to have the ceremony and reception at the same place (I know that you can have your reception at the gardens as well but we would have been limited for numbers).

I was really suprised at how quickly things book out in Mackay - I struggled to get a photographer and music! I can now see why people have such long engagements at times!

Raegan

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi my name is raegan,
im also getting married at the hotel international on the 19th of june 2010.
Do you guys have any ideas for a really good cake maker as im after an unique cake??
Thanks for your help
Raegan

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am

I must admit, it's tough in this area. I think the best thing to do is keep up with the Bridal expos and this website has been wonderful for me. http://www.letsgetmarried.com.au/direct ... ion=Mackay There are heaps of a lot of services, but cake makers are something that we're sadly lacking :( There's a Bridal Expo at the Entertainment Centre today that I'm going to that might help. Are you local Raegan???
Tam

Raegan

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks heaps
i live in proserpine but im in mackay a fair bit
Im going to see a cake maker on tuesday so hopefully she will give my cake a go!
raegan

mackay

Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Reagan,
How did you go with the cake maker? If you can't find someone I'd recommend looking up the Cake Decorators Assoc and giving them a call. There are some really talented people that I am sure can help you out. Gee, you are organised if you are organising your cake now! Can never be too organised I suppose! (I am a very unorganised person!).

Raegan

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Haha yes im pretty organised with the wedding nothing else only because my mum is helping
i went great with the cake maker its all done got heaps dont in the past couple of days im very proud
wedding expo wasnt as good as i had hoped....

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm

I know, the expo wasn't that great, but there are more and they do come in handy. I've GOT to recommend my reception venue, it's cheap, newly renovated, and the manager is AMAZING!!! Absolutely NO hidden charges either which is fantastic. If you need someone to talk to about local stuff ladies, I'm here :D
Tam

mackay

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 am

I got some great ideas from the wedding expo but I was expecting more! I got some great ideas for invitations and table centrepieces so I think I now have a theme! YAY! My partner is a fishing fanatic so we are having an "ocean" theme, with a sparkly blue colour (well that is this week - no doubt we will change our minds a millions times!).

Tam, I don't think I have ever been to South's Bowls club (that is the one on Nebo Rd near KFC isn't it?). Glad that they have been helpful! I found some people to be less than helpful when we were looking - although it probably didn't help that I had no idea what I wanted!

tamflowers
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:24 am

Yep that's it, it's just off the highway on Wardrop Street, it holds up to 150 people, but we're inviting 82, so even if everybody comes, we've still got room for a decent size dance floor. They've got a nice size kids room with all of the usual works and jerks that is free of charge if you've got kids coming AND they've only just finished it which is fantastic (they were still in the process of painting ect it when we had our meeting with the manager) The club has only just had a complete multi million dollar make over and they're charging us $250 for the room hire as opposed to over $1000 for some other local places, even the carpet is beautiful. I've got some pics that I can email you if you wish, just pm me your email addy. I had to take them for the parents. The most expensive buffet is around $32.50 pp too and it's 3 courses.
Tam

mackay

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Tam,
Thanks for that. I have paid my deposit at Ocean International so.... If I keep looking at other things I might change my mind! That does sound great though! I struggled to find somewhere as I wanted the have the ceremony and the reception at the one place and all that was really around was the Windmill (which I am not fussed on after attending a few different things there), Dolphin Heads (which can only hold a max of 100 ppl, which was okay until we said we wanted a round bridal table instead of a long rectangle one and then it came down to 90ppl which I think we would struggle to keep to) and then the Ocean International which can hold up to 160 people so that was it. We went and saw it when it was set up for a wedding and it was lovely! And the lady there, Hannah, has been a great help and is very friendly!

We are looking for somewhere to hold our engagement dinner though. FH and I decided against an engagement party as the numbers were just getting too big and the cost was starting to add up so we are just having a dinner with our parents, siblings and attendants (and all their partners and kids). So just wanting somewhere relaxed and preferably somewhere with a kids room - looking at Souths Leagues Club, Harrup Park or Magpies at the moment but should probably add Souths Bowls club to the list but the sounds of your great review Tam!!!!

Hope :)

Andie1983
Soon you can call me MRS Woody...

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:06 am

Mackay - why dont you go the Austral for your engagement dinner? When you book you can generally ask for a table close to the kids room, and as you'd probably know the food is to die for. YUM!!

mackay

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Andie,
Thanks for that! Someone else suggest there actually and to be honest I never knew the place had a kids room (not something I have ever had to look for when going out for dinner!). Oh yes the meals there are great!!!
Hope :)

Andie1983

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:01 pm

No worries :)

mackay

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello again, hoping you can all help me out. I am in need of a DJ or a great band! I would prefer someone that comes with recommendations.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.57