A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

bella2283

Re: Adelaide - Part 2

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought i would drop a line as we are now only 134 days until our wedding (not that im counting) :heart: .

Planning this wedding has been a little hard for me as we live in Canberra but getting married in Adelaide. FH is from Adelaide so it's not even my home town. All of my BM's live interstate - SYD, Perth and one in London, so they havent been much help either :D along with the GM's being in SYD and MELB.

On the 2nd April we are getting married at Rostrevor College Chapel (FH went here) with our reception at the Adelaide Convention Centre. I can not recommend both these locations enough!!! The people i have delt with have been fantastic. We are using the Riverbank Rooms at the convention centre which is perfect for our 120 guests.

I am pretty organised with most things and am now to the part of just waiting for the new year to roll around for all the last minute stuff.

All i can really say is "thank god for the internet, google and such sites as WC"!!! As i am not from SA it has been hard with not knowing suburbs and locations of vendors. My FH hasn't been very helpful with the whole wedding stuff but he has stepped up to the plate when i have really needed him. I gave him 3 jobs for the wedding - Cars, Suits and Favors. We have the car ticked of at this stage, lucky we still have 5 months to go for the other 2.

Well i will continue to check in and see how everyone is comming along with there plans while i am on the count down to my big day!!!

If anyone wants to know more details of who we are using for certian parts just let me know - i just didnt want to drag this post on for too long.

Bella

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Wow Bella you make me feel unorganized! I am also an Adelaide bride but not even close to organized - I have more time than you though :) if you need vendor rerccomendations or anything post here and I am sure someone will be able to help you. You are a lot braver than I would be, organizing a wedding from interstate would not be easy!

sachick90
I survived and got married

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi,
My Fiancee and I are looking to get married on 14/01/2012 and, planning has really just started. Currently we are looking at $8, 000 budget as we are paying it all ourselves and have a mortgage.

So far we are thinking
ceremony - Glandore Community Centre garden
Reception - Avant Garde
and me and the bridesmaids have found our dresses but will order closer to the date as we are still changing lol.

So we need to still find everything else. I am just worried I am going to forget something :(

littlemissbump

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Hello ladies... My first post in here! It's great to read about other peoples plans.

We have decided to do the surprise wedding thing and get married on the day of our engagement party!
We will be having a ceremony on the beach in the morning and then the "engagement" party that night as planned.

Sooo that gives me a bit over 2 months to plan (party in feb) and at the time of wedding I'll be 32 wks pregnant!
Crazy right?

Can anyone recommend a celebrant??? I don't have time to meet with heaps, but want someone relaxed, caring and reliable!!!

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi and welcome!!!!

Our celebrant is Alister Mitchell and he's great!!

Look at http://www.marry.com.au

Good luck!!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Congratulations littlemissbump

I have been reccomended Mark Bassett. I have not met with him yet but I have had a few recs for him so he might be worth contacting.

Kellyansapansa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 am

Hey littlemissbump - congratulations! A surprise wedding sounds fabulous!

We used Patrick Frost and he was absolutely brilliant.

I have also heard fantastic things about these three ladies: Adelaide Celebrants

MollieB

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Has anyone had their reception at Monarto? I'd love to hear from other brides that have done this!

We both love animals and I was thinking it would be a really cool place. Red, white, and black art deco theme with actual giraffes in the background. ... and hopefully a little zebra print in my dress!

b2b??

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 am

We were going to but have decided against it as its too far for our guests to travel. But if distance isn't an issue I'd definitely go with it. It's great up there but can be dry and very brown a lot of the time.

MollieB

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 am

I'm pretty sure distance would be fine for our guests. We've been up there several times recently and we really like it. We're looking at the end of April, so hopefully it won't be too dry/brown then. But even if it is, well it's supposed to be like Africa, right? ;)

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:11 am

Hey Adelaide Brides! Howz everyone's planz comin along?? Havent seen a post on here in a while!

Jessie_Lou
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Ladies,

First time poster here! Have recently become engaged and have had lots of fun looking around the site and getting lots of tips and ideas! We are hoping to get married in October this year so not too long to plan :D Have an appointment on Friday to look at Sunnybrae and discuss how their packages can be tailored to suit our needs.

It looks like its been quiet on this board for some time now. Any Adelaide bride-to-be's out there????

Jess :)

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Jessie_Lou! Welcome!

I'm now a wife....no longer a bride-to-be. Good luck with the planz.

Just thought I'd come on here and let everyone know I am selling the giant martini glasses that I used for our centrepieces. There are 10 glasses in total. Here are some pics of what I did with them!

Image Image Image

PM me if youre interested :D

Kellyansapansa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome aboard Jessie_Lou and good luck with your planning! I'm also married now, but am finding it hard to let go, lol.

Julez - those glasses are gorgeous, I love how you used them. You're welcome to post them for sale here too.

Ayla01
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi ladies

hoping you can help me. I live in Nth QLD but i will be in Adelaide next weekend. One of my JNR BM's lives there and i'm hoping to take her shopping on the Sunday for her dress. Now i know the dress i want to try her in (my other JBM lives here and we found a dress we like) - Its an Alfred Angelo. Wondering where i can get Alfred Angelo at a store with Sunday tradeing. Preferably around the golden grove/tea tree plaza area. I've tried googling it but so many shops dont have websites and a lot of the websites are just general wedding directory sites without a lot of info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Ayla01 wrote:
Hi ladies

hoping you can help me. I live in Nth QLD but i will be in Adelaide next weekend. One of my JNR BM's lives there and i'm hoping to take her shopping on the Sunday for her dress. Now i know the dress i want to try her in (my other JBM lives here and we found a dress we like) - Its an Alfred Angelo. Wondering where i can get Alfred Angelo at a store with Sunday tradeing. Preferably around the golden grove/tea tree plaza area. I've tried googling it but so many shops dont have websites and a lot of the websites are just general wedding directory sites without a lot of info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You could try Tea Rose at Elizabeth Shopping Centre?

http://www.tearosefashions.com.au/dresses.html

I am pretty sure AAA Bridal which is in Elizabeth stock Alfred Angleo, but you'd have to give her a call. It is a store run out of a home, and is a LOT cheaper than anywhere I've seen! Not sure she's open on Sundays though. We bought our BM dresses from there after trying them on at Tea Rose.

http://www.wedding.com.au/a-a-a-bridal- ... wear-hire/

Good Luck!

01Kitty_Kat

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 pm

01Kitty_Kat wrote:
Well I flew home 2 weeks ago and did some wedding organising!

I went up to Camelot Castle where we are having our wedding in Nov 2011. Its everything i hoped for and more and now im super excited about our day!!!

Got my photographer sorted too. She is based in Redwood Park and her name is Allison Hernach. Her work looks simply beautiful and after speaking with her at length, I love her manner - I think she will be great with our guests. Very calming, gentle and thoughtful person!

I think she is putting me in touch with a hairdresser too, and also a celebrant.

In other news, a friend of mine asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding this October so coming home for that. She is having her wedding at Al-Ru farm in One Tree Hill. Very excited! Ive never been a bridesmaid before!

Time for an update, it's been a LOOOOONG time since my last post. So we booked camelot castle for our wedding. When we went to look at it, nothing was too much trouble. We were promised EVERYTHING would be taken care of, and it was smiles all round.

Since then, its descending in to wedding hell.

The venue is owned by Simone and Hans - elderly couple who have run camelot for 40 years or so. Hans is lovely, but over run by his wife simone who has pushed me to breaking point. We asked them to book out/ hold all 12 rooms at the castle (56 beds) so that our interstate and overseas guests can stay at the castle with us. This was no problem. BUT - what they failed to tell me was that I had to handle all of the room bookings (WTF?)

They didn't tell me, and my invitations went out with an info sheet recommending the castle, and all of their contact details etc on there so that our guests could book if they wanted. Our guests began to call the castle to book and that was where the problems began.

Simone refused to book our guests in. She told them it was booked out. I called her in a panic wondering how it could be booked out and she said "YOU BOOKED IT, so we cant book anyone in". After much back and forth she finally admitted that she didn't want to handle the bookings.

I explained to her that she had not told us we were required to do it and that the invites had gone out already. I said that it made sense for them to book it anyway as they understand how many beds are in each room (as they vary) and also they need to know how many people are staying to arrange breakfast and billing. After much discussion she agreed to book the rooms for me and I thought it was resolved.

Since then, 4 people have tried to book a room. She has refused to do it, lied to them and said there was no availability, been rude to them and put down the phone. Each time i have had to ring SA from NSW to talk this out with her and she is playing games with me. She put the phone on the counter and walked away while I was talking and left me hanging there, twice. She stated she would do the bookings but "can't guarantee she will get the bookings right" - threatening us. In the end, her husband took over the call because i was nearly in tears.

He told me he "had no wife" - a joke to cheer me up and promised me that if my guests ring and ask for him, he will fix it up. But when simone answers the phone, and the guest says they are wanting to book for our wedding, she now plays games.

I have emailed them twice with a copy of our "contract", and a chronology of all conversations and so on. I have sent them links of the ACCC and Dept of business and consumer affairs but this woman just doesn't care.

Im so worried about my wedding day now, but like i said, the invites have gone out, there is no changing it now.

My recommendation? Camelot Castle is a beautiful place and hans is a lovely man, but as long as his wife is involved, don't ever book it for your wedding unless you have nerves of steel, because this woman will play games, push you to your limits and be rude to your guests. Even when you are paying them a massive amount of money to rent the entire place.

BEWARE

sachick90

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:58 pm

oh wow that is horrible to read about. I've heard Camelot is a really nice place as my friend got married there, however she didn't try booking any accomodation. Wow they sound really rude though.

01Kitty_Kat

Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

While I think of it - can anyone recommend a good bridal hairdresser who will go to Camelot Castle for only 2 people (me and my maid of honour) on my wedding day? Finding it hard to find anyone who will go there for only the two of us and the stylist i had lined up pulled out as her daughter is seriously ill.....

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I think your best bet is to start with the suppliers on the ABIA Directory, I cannot help you with people who will head out to Camelot though - what about someone more local?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.19