A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

travellingprincess
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Yeah, so far, so good, everything is going well with the planning!

We will only be in Australia for one month for the wedding, 3 weeks before and 1 week after! Not long enough :(
Can't complain really, as we were originally planning on having a very small wedding here in Mexico but I am glad we have decided to have it in Australia (would have been a nightmare trying to organise to have it over here, still trying to learn the language!)

blondebride
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 am

Hello girls :) I am also from Adelaide, we are getting married at my Dads house in the hills, he has 20 acres on top of a hill with beautiful rose gardens, ponds and cottage gardens surrounding the house. We are having an English style garden afternoon tea reception for all of our guests and then a dinner later in the evening for our immediate family and bridal party hopefully at Mt Lofty House.
I have so far got my dress, shoes, veil, tiara, lingerie, jnr bridesmaid dresses, venue, caterer, and hopefully dinner venue.
I am now looking at celebrants so if you can recommend any that would be great! :D

RebekahT
Almost there
Almost there

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:19 pm

We are lucky enough to have a good family friend who is a celebrant and she will be marrying us. Her name is Corrine Berry and she is fabulous. She is a very organised person but has so much personality at the same time. let me know if you'd like more of her details.

zoes

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Augh, I always get stressed when I read these forums :( It just reminds me of how little I've done! Still can't find a wedding venue that FH and I like (we want an outdoors cocktail reception in the hills) and I went wedding dress shopping on the weekend and fell in love with a dress that was over my budget :cry: On the plus side I have chosen my church (St Martin's at Glenelg) and cars (Bentley and Royal Daimler). Still trying to comprehend why photographers cost so much though!! 8O Thanks though girls for the tip on flowers...I had no idea who to go to! :D

RebekahT
Almost there
Almost there

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 pm

I know it's hard, but try not to stress zoes!

We are getting married at Carrick Hill which is in the foothills I guess. It is absolutely beautiful there and they have a permanent Marquee that you could use if the weather is bad. Otherwise you can have it entirely outdoors there. We are having sit down, in the Marquee but you open the marquee at the back which opens onto a paved terrace area and you have a view out over the city. If you haven't been there before, I would totally suggest it.

As for your dress you might be able to have it copied by a dress maker for a lot less?

zoes

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:43 pm

FH and I went there a few weeks ago to check it out. Is a beautiful spot, but I'm worried that because we're only having about 70 guests that we'll get 'lost' (garden is big and it'll emphasize that there's not many people there). Having said that I did tentatively book it... It did kinda annoy me that you have to pay $16/head for soft drinks etc (we would supply the wine). Trying to keep costs down since FH and I are paying for most of the wedding. Latest place we looked into is called Manor Estate and is in Kangarilla. Kinda checked out the gardens on the weekend but they look a little shabby...though that could be because of the drought. I think I'll be happy once we have a venue booked!

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:28 pm

For photography have a look at gloss photography, she's a girls I used to work with and does some nice work at a reasonable price.

The palce we're looking at using is http://www.stevenjonesphotos.com/WeddingPackages.htm

He does some good work at really good prices, we can afford to have him stay for most of the reception with the prices he's got.

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:51 pm

OMG just had to share what I've just found out!!

We're looking at photographers at the moment and have sent soooo many emails and got quotes that are just way above our budget (1500 ideally was our budget).

We thought that we'd get maybe a basic package covering the bride and groom getting ready, ceremony, creative locations after and a short time at the reception, but when I looked at one of the last photographers on the website I saw a new one and decided to look at prices.

We're now getting all this for around 1500!!

Classic Wedding Package $1195.00

• Pre wedding photographic portrait session and a copy of all photographs taken professionally printed measuring 10cm x 15cm. This is an excellent way to ensure that your photographer knows the best way to photograph you and that you are comfortable with your photographer.
• Pre wedding meeting with your photographer to discuss the details of your wedding and finalise times, locations and photography styles. Just the chance to ask any last minute questions to ensure your wedding runs smoothly and nothing is missed.
• Full professional photographic coverage of your wedding including, Groom's preparation, Bride's preparation, Ceremony, Family photographs, Creative locations, First half an hour of your reception.
• There is no limit to the number of photographs taken of your wedding and you will receive a copy of every photograph taken professionally printed as 10cm x 15cm viewing prints in an album.
• A high-resolution set of your entire wedding photographs on CD.

Then for an extra $300
Full coverage of reception and prints in size stated above.

So 1500 for full coverage of the whole day!!

If anyone wants details PM me.

Mel

travellingprincess
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 am

Hi Mel,

I've sent you a pm!!

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 am

Gee not much happening down in Adelaide! How are all you girls going?

Do any of you know good locations for photos in town, north adelaide of west lakes? We wanna go for a drive and have a look but need to know where to go!

Shan 19/01/08

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 pm

All going well here Mel! Haven't been on much because I've got nothing left to organise, so no need to research anything. I'm so bored!!!!

We're having photos at North Adelaide in Pennington Gardens, just in between Adelaide Oval and the cathedral. We're also having photos in town at the Medina, GPO - around that area. And then heading to Grange Beach. You could probably get some nice photos at one of the reserves near the lake at West Lakes, or possibly the duck pond? Or even down at Tennyson Beach, which is right next to West Lakes, if you wanted beach shots?

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Thanks for the recommendations well have a look at those locations. We were definately going to go down to the beach. I'd loved to have a beachw edding but really wanted to use st peters cathedral, so pretty! So I guess we can jsut have photos at the beach instead.

Shan: You've got a while until you're wedding and everythings planned? lol, or is it just that there's nothing else you can do at the moment?

Shan 19/01/08

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 am

No problem Mel, hope you find somewhere you want photos out of those places!

I've got nothing to do at the moment! lol. I need to make the invitations, but need a few hundred $ to buy the paper so that'll have to wait for a month or 2 cos I'm paying off our rings at the moment.

And I've also got to buy the guys shirts and get them all together for a suit fitting. We know where we're going, its just a case of getting them all together!

Apart from that, nothing, just paying for things!

Need to work out songs, but that seems all too hard at the moment! I want to wait and see if any new songs come out and work it all out closer to the day.

zoes

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:58 am

Hey Mel, with the photographer you were looking at, do you know how much they are going to charge for an album?? (ie a 20pg traditional viewing album with enlarged shots of fav photos)...think I may have been looking at the same one but found out the album would be $1500 8O This album is usually included as part of the package, but isn't with this photographer. Are you happy just to have all your photos as the same size in one album or will you make ap the traditional album yourself?

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:25 pm

We've decided againsts having a fancy album made up as firstly it costs so much money and secondly I can do it myself.
I made one for our engagement party and it looks fantastic. I reckon as long as yu can buy a nice album (or ask a guest/parent to buy you one, lol) then just get the photos printed in the sizes you want then put them in, will definately work out cheaper.

I'll email him and find out album prices just out of curiosity.

zoes

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:23 am

I've heard that some of the girls make their albums themselves. Though I'm not the most creative of people so I'm not too sure how I would go doing this! lol!! It does mean though you could go with a better photographer if you don't get an album. We were looking at the same photographer...I doubled checked the website. They have beautiful photos...I'm sure yours will be stunning :D Have you met with them yet? I might be able to be swayed if you have good things to say!! :)

Summer Bride
I want it all
I want it all

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:05 am

I'm going to do my own album. My photographer tailored a package to suit what I wanted and I decided not to go with the album as it was going to be another $900 or something. I did ask why they were so exy and he told me a lot of the cost is the time involved in putting the photos in the album - apparently the photo mats are a bit fiddly to work with and you have to get them in exactly the right position etc etc etc.

Plus I figure I can always get a professional album made at a later date if I feel its absolutely necessary.

Shan 19/01/08

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm just going to get the standard album that comes with the package I'm getting, I think it has 14 large photos.

Then I was thinking of making a Momento album or something similar for a more 'coffee table' style book that people can look through

mel_043
I got a jar of dirt!!
I got a jar of dirt!!

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:06 pm

I'm going to do the same Shan, saves money and then I can say 'look what I made' lol.

What DJ's are you girls using, if you're using one? We're looking at them at the moment. budget is really 500 but will go 550 if need be.

Shan 19/01/08

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:45 am

Exactly Mel! I think I'll get more joy out of looking at something I've created myself. I made one for my Mum's 50th birthday and it was a massive hit! Everyone loved it.

Also, I'm not having a DJ, we're having a band, but my mum used to work with a lady whose husband is Steve Russell, aka 'Steve Russell DJ Services'. He comes highly recommended by Ayers House and also by lots of people on other forums. I think he is about $600 which is about the standard going rate.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.1