A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

mrsctobe2011
Bridezilla in the making ♥

Re: Tasmania

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Luxe in town are really good. And they stock Alfred Angelo dresses - I haven't found anywhere else in Hobart that does!

Peaches*
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Is anyone else pumped for the bridal expo this week????

I cant wait, has anyone been before? is there lots to see? prizes to be won ect? :lol:

mrsctobe2011

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Peaches* wrote:
Is anyone else pumped for the bridal expo this week????

I cant wait, has anyone been before? is there lots to see? prizes to be won ect? :lol:

I went last year and it really wasn't all that exciting :|. Mind you, we didn't have a date at the time and my former MOH was meant to go with me and bailed at the last minute. FH & I are hoping to get a stall there in 2011, so keep your eyes out for us in the future! It's good if you know what you are looking for.

Hobartgal31

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

I have been several years running as I have been a bridesmaid and gone with other girls.. this year I don't think I will go even though I'm getting married in 4 and a bit months (woo hoo!) only because it's best if you haven't already organised your suppliers. The stalls are okay and yes there are lots of comps and things but I reckon I have entered about 100 comps and not won anything!!! It is well organised and the fashion parade is fun, but I don't think I will be going again.

mrsctobe2011

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Hobartgal31 wrote:
I have been several years running as I have been a bridesmaid and gone with other girls.. this year I don't think I will go even though I'm getting married in 4 and a bit months (woo hoo!) only because it's best if you haven't already organised your suppliers. The stalls are okay and yes there are lots of comps and things but I reckon I have entered about 100 comps and not won anything!!! It is well organised and the fashion parade is fun, but I don't think I will be going again.

If you've already organized your suppliers than it's probably just going to confuse you even more. I'm giving it a miss this year, as we have a wedding the day before, followed by hens/bucks nights for friends of ours! So we'll probably be exhausted! I entered probably 50 comps last year and didn't win a thing, I however got a lot of spam emails, which I'm still getting now!

KelM

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi all,
Newly joined, with 9(ish) months til the big day :) Am currently madly running around trying to organise everything while on leave (happens once in a blue moon!), and wonder if anyone has been married at Hatcher's (have just read some monstrous reviews so am slightly worried!) or knows of another inexpensive venue for both ceremony and reception in southern Tassie?! Also any recommendations for good photographers that aren't going to put me into debt for the next 10 years... FH and I are also saving for a house so funds are pretty tight! Any help would be great!
Cheers!! :D

Peaches*
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey Kel M

im getting married at Newlands in lenah valley. its a old white georgian building with lovely garden
im having a cocktail reception which is $36 per person. im only having a low key afternoon wedding so for the 36 bucks we get 8 canapes per person and then the cake afterwards i think thats good.I believe the 3 course meals start at about $50 per head (quite a few choices too). they have a minimum of 60 people no venue hire fee other than $120 to get married in the garden.
they have a website but doesnt have many photos.
when lookng at flowers true colors in town were the cheapest. fig and gay flowers were the most expensive
have you got a dress yet??

jessbadkitty
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Kel,

My brother recently got married at Hatchers and as far as the location goes... BEAUTIFUL!!! The reception room was absolutely gorgeous and the food was good! Having said that... we stayed there the night before and on the night aswell... there wasn't enough hot water to fill the bath in the room (I've read this has happened before also), they seemed understaffed (not at the reception tho) , we had 3 babies and I had organised with the owner to have 2 portacots (I even confirmed this 3 times!) but on the night they only had 1 - I won't go into what I said to her about this... If you were looking at having your ceremony on the turning circle then just keep in mind that it is a turning circle and it is open to the public so cars can come and go at anytime... I think there were 3 during the half hour ceremony when we were there! There are also a couple of dogs that have run of the place during the day so you might see them around too...

That's probably not what you wanted to hear but for the money you pay I think you should be getting more! If you want any more info just ask...

Hope it helps :roll:

Jess

mrsctobe2011

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Kel,

Newlands House is gorgeous - we had it booked for our wedding but had to change our date and they were already booked. I am shooting a wedding there on the 24th so I will upload some photos to show people how gorgeous it really is. The only two problems that we had was that the owner/host takes forever to get back to emails, if at all, and that there isn't any parking, only on the street.

Cascade Gardens is also very nice, but is a little bit more expensive that Newlands and books out quite quickly. It all depends what you want, we have looked at a LOT of venues and to be honest, I'm not a fan of Hatchers myself, it doesn't look as nice in person as it does on the photos and I haven't heard good things about the accommodation (I heard about the lack of water too)!

Have sent you a PM about photography :)

mrsctobe2011

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 pm

The other good thing about Newlands is that the bar is not in the ballroom - it's in a foyer area off to the side - so when there's a bit of a back log of people waiting for drinks, they aren't taking up room on the dance floor like they do in some venues!

Serena21
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tassie brides group on facebook

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi ladies,
I started a group on facebook for brides and those who are married to buy/sell wedding stuff.
Please feel free to join

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&ti ... 613&ref=ts

thanks

jessbadkitty
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

:D Already there!!! :D

Belz

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:34 am

Hi all
I am currently living in Melbourne and my fiancé and I have decided to get married at the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm near Launceston. I am trying to find a good make up artist in Launceston, a good florist as well as some type of wedding car hire. I am just wondering if anybody has any good suggestions?

Cheers
Bel

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 am

Belz wrote:
Hi all
I am currently living in Melbourne and my fiancé and I have decided to get married at the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm near Launceston. I am trying to find a good make up artist in Launceston, a good florist as well as some type of wedding car hire. I am just wondering if anybody has any good suggestions?

Cheers
Bel

Hi Bel!

Welcome to the forum!
Where abouts will you be getting ready for the wedding in Launceston or Devonport because that will make a big difference! Also what sort of cars are you after?

Belz

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Abbie

Thank you for the welcome.

We will be getting ready in Launceston we were thinking that we would have more range there. As for the bridal car I would love a vintage rolls or something like that. We have been planning the wedding mostly via the internet and having great luck so far but make up and cars have been giving us a bit of trouble.

Bel

~abstar~

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Bel,

Look I can't do much for you in the way of cars as Vintage Rolls aren't my thing...If you had said Commodores of HSV's I could of hooked you up very good!

Ok Make up...There are a few places I high recommend
First is Vogue Beauty in the Old QV Building - (03) 6331 1380 ask for Jen she is amazing, they do all waxing, massage, nails so you could really get everything done there.
Also Blader Runner at Prospect they are a hair saloon but special in Makeup for special occasions - (03) 6344 5855

I am getting my hair and make up done at a place called Duo's hair and beauty it is owned by the same person who owns Timeless elegance which is one of the biggest bridal boutiques in the northern part of tassie, I haven't had a trial or anything yet so I cant say how great they are and I still may change my mind and use one of the above! - Duo's number is 03 6334 0479

Florist I can not go past the Tamar Valley Rose Shop- I adore Roses and my FH buys them from here for all special occasions and I found their quote to be very responable and they were the only people who didn't try and make me change my mind to add cheaper flowers to my bouquets. - Tamar Valley Rose Shop - (03) 6331 5723

If you have any other questions on Vendors in Launceston let me know I'll be happy to help out!

Cheers
Abbie

mrsctobe2011

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Belz wrote:
Hi Abbie

Thank you for the welcome.

We will be getting ready in Launceston we were thinking that we would have more range there. As for the bridal car I would love a vintage rolls or something like that. We have been planning the wedding mostly via the internet and having great luck so far but make up and cars have been giving us a bit of trouble.

Bel

Hey Bel,

Firstly, welcome to the forums!

I know Geoff from the Untouchables, they are based down here in Hobart but travel all over the state. I don't know if they have a Rolls, but they have some lovely cars.

image003.jpg

image005.jpg

image012.jpg

KelM

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi All,

How time flies. Thanks for the heads up about Hatcher's, we've decided against there after a quick look-see and meeting with the lady in charge (aloof and uninterested were my impressions :roll: ) Now we're looking at barilla bay or hilltop. Kinda like the barilla bay idea coz then we can get married on a yacht (FH's dream!), but you can't sail into there coz of the causeways. Bit of downer, but our friend has his own hire-car company so at least the transport is organised :) As for dresses, well my pet hate is dresses so I'm looking without trying. Thank god for ebay. Still figuring out details, but marvelling at how much the "laid-back" Tassie mannerism goes out the window when it comes to weddings. I can't believe you need to book things 12-24 months in advance. Crazy. But such is life. Hope everyone else's plans are going well!!

mrsctobe2011

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:02 pm

KelM wrote:
Hi All,

How time flies. Thanks for the heads up about Hatcher's, we've decided against there after a quick look-see and meeting with the lady in charge (aloof and uninterested were my impressions :roll: ) Now we're looking at barilla bay or hilltop. Kinda like the barilla bay idea coz then we can get married on a yacht (FH's dream!), but you can't sail into there coz of the causeways. Bit of downer, but our friend has his own hire-car company so at least the transport is organised :) As for dresses, well my pet hate is dresses so I'm looking without trying. Thank god for ebay. Still figuring out details, but marvelling at how much the "laid-back" Tassie mannerism goes out the window when it comes to weddings. I can't believe you need to book things 12-24 months in advance. Crazy. But such is life. Hope everyone else's plans are going well!!

The Hilltop is great, I used to work there! Erica and Pam will look after you :P

We are shooting a wedding at Barilla Bay in May.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.02