Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:50 am

Canberra brides - share your ideas, info and stories here :D

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Canberra - Part 2

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 am

Yay, look how clean and new it all is :D

I wanted to respond to Deyana who said: I'm starting to think about the timing of the wedding. We're having a 5pm ceremony at OPH gardens, followed by a reception at the Mantra on Northbourne starting at 7pm. Our ceremony will probably only be half an hour, including the signing and all, so I need to figure out what to direct guests who aren't going to be posing for photos to do in the meantime. We'll have a room at the Mantra, which I'll get FH to check into earlier that day, so parents with kids who need a nap can go there, but I'd like something nice for the rest of our guests to do. There's the OPH gardens and the National Rose garden across the road. Unfortunately, OPH itself shuts at 5, so that's not an option. Anything else you ladies can think of to suggest to guests?

My thoughts are this. Even with a half hour ceremony I think you'll want to factor in a decent bit of time after it ends for photos, congratulations etc. Most people won't just run away, they'll want to come up to you and say hello and tell you how beautiful it was :D So that gives you maybe an hour, 6-7pm. Does Mantra have a bar? I was thinking people could just go straight to the hotel and start the party early in the bar (some would do this anyway but you could suggest it as an option for people feeling a bit lost). Alternatively, you could supply some bubbly and nibbles at the ceremony site so people can mingle a bit there. I hope this helps - an hour is easier to fill than 3 but it's still nice of you to think of your guests :D

*mamabear*
♥ Lady Champagne ♥
♥ Lady Champagne ♥

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:09 am

YAY!!!!!!!! Thank you mods :D

Deyana- I was going to suggest something similar to morethantaco's, i.e the nibbles on site or directing them to a bar (if it has one?)! Also you may find that some guests might plan their own way to fill the time, once they've received the invites and see the times.....they might like to catch up with other guests etc, some might have their own rooms and go back for a quick freshen up etc. Are the rose gardens still open after 5 or do they shut when OPH does? As people might like to have a wander round there, or along the lake and have a look....

OestaraRose

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Nice to see the Canberra thread is refreshed :)

katbunney
Little Miss Pink BunnEy
Little Miss Pink BunnEy

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi girls! Glad my request was good for part 2.

We had our reception at the Mantra...our dinner started at 7pm, but we had the bar open at 6pm and it was held in the restaurant and we had the package where they served hot and cold canapes. We didn't join our guests until 7pm in the function room

Also the Mantra opened the bar in the restaurant at 4.30pm for people to pay for their own drinks. until our package started at 6pm. So they have it all covered if people are looking for something to do before the reception. I'm sure they would do the same for all of their weddings, cause we didn't request it, was part of the package.

All my guests raved how good that part was in the restaurant as there is plenty of seating etc and they were good at bringing out the canapes.

Deyana
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks so much for the replies ladies!

Katbunney, I think we're having the same package. For some reason I kept thinking we'd be starting the canapes at 7, but there's really no reason not to start it earlier! After booking the Mantra, I haven't really given much more thought to the logistics of it all, I was just happy to have the reception finally booked!

OestaraRose

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:21 pm

How much does it cost per head at the Mantra and what does it include?

katbunney
Little Miss Pink BunnEy
Little Miss Pink BunnEy

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Deyana wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies ladies!

Katbunney, I think we're having the same package. For some reason I kept thinking we'd be starting the canapes at 7, but there's really no reason not to start it earlier! After booking the Mantra, I haven't really given much more thought to the logistics of it all, I was just happy to have the reception finally booked!

Yep I would start the canapes at 6pm cause I'm pretty sure your reception has to be over by 12, so if you start at 6 the grog will run until 11pm which will be plenty of time for people. Marianne will run through the logistics when you get closer anyway, she suggested the start times.

If you want to see my run sheet for the night just PM me your email address and I'll show you what we did but of course its as flexible as you want it to be.

I paid $85 per head, but I'm pretty sure its more like $95 per head now. They do have a 2nd package which is more than that, not sure on price.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Yay for another Canberra thread :!: Thanks Mods and katbunney :)

Off to put a deposit at Poacher's Pantry tomorrow :D Haven't worked out the logistics yet - whether I want to take wedding photos in the morning then head to PP where we will then have the ceremony and have canapes etc then reception OR have the ceremony, take photos then head to PP for the reception.

*mamabear*
♥ Lady Champagne ♥
♥ Lady Champagne ♥

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:41 am

Kaywoman- How exciting, hope it all goes well!

Well, I've been busy taking care of the final touches over the last few days- booked the Gecko Gang to come and do facepainting, balloons and party games for the kids who come to the reception, finalised our vows and ceremony with the celebrant, ordered invites (for the reception part, still need to order a few for the ceremony/reception guests)/envelopes/wishing well cards and thank you stickers (for lolly buffet boxes)...That just leaves bouquet, lolly buffet boxes (will get them from giftpod)....and hair and makeup (which I would have booked if I could get in touch with Zoe Barton- she is a very busy lady!). Feeling like my shoulders are much lighter now :bdance:

Deyana
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:51 am

OestaraRose wrote:
How much does it cost per head at the Mantra and what does it include?

The Mantra is 95 per person for a 3 course alternate plate, 5 hr drinks package and pre dinner canapes. Also includes a room for the night for the wedding couple plus a few little other things like personalised menus and a dance floor.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Wow *mamabear* ! Very organised!!!!

*mamabear*
♥ Lady Champagne ♥
♥ Lady Champagne ♥

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Wow *mamabear* ! Very organised!!!!

LOL, I think it's only because we don't have that much to do because of the way we are having it....If we were doing the whole proper sit down dinner reception with decorations etc etc I don't think I would have anything done!

How did you go at Poachers?

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Fantastic!!!!! :D

We had lunch there then met with Katie who showed us the homestead lawn (option of having the ceremony there then canapes and then head over to the reception).

We had some kabak (zucchini puffs) for entree. I had a smoked chicken and mushroom pie with a sour cream pastry top and fennel coleslaw. My fiance had a steak sandwich with polenta chips. Then for dessert :mrgreen: , I had an apple and custard cupcake with ginger ice-cream and pecan toffee. I was in heaven!!!!!!!

Anyhow, we've put a deposit down for the reception. So so far I've got deposits down for photographer, celebrant and reception :D Have to think of transport next I think. But atleast the big stuff is organised.

OestaraRose

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Last edited by OestaraRose on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OestaraRose

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Last edited by OestaraRose on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*mamabear*
♥ Lady Champagne ♥
♥ Lady Champagne ♥

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:48 pm

We had some kabak (zucchini puffs) for entree. I had a smoked chicken and mushroom pie with a sour cream pastry top and fennel coleslaw. My fiance had a steak sandwich with polenta chips. Then for dessert , I had an apple and custard cupcake with ginger ice-cream and pecan toffee.

OMG that sounds sooooo good *drool* LOL
How exciting that you've booked it :bdance:

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks *mamabear*. I was soooooooo full that I didn't even have dinner (usually have dinner about 6:30). At 8pm I decided that I should have something so I had a yoghurt and a cup of tea.

It's one less thing off my mind now. I've been keeping all the receipts and copies of emails etc in my folder.

Niki
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi Everyone

How are all your plans coming along?? I can't believe I'm coming up to the 6 month mark!!! I don't feel very organised! I have the majority of things are booked but I think because I still have no idea about the timing of the day (ceremony, reception), what songs or music we'll play, readings to be read...I'm starting to get a little anxious! I'm going bridesmaid dress shopping this Sunday 28 March - would greatly appreciate any feedback on good shops to go to!!!

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 am

What time is your ceremony and what time is your reception booked for?

No ideas on BM dresses cos I haven't even started myself. I have heard from people that they've had success in buying dresses just in normal shops. It does depend on what you're looking for though. I wish I can find great bargains when the time comes.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22