Re: Canberra - Part 2

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm

My wedding is 3 months away so I'm starting to stress just a little! 8O

missgina
Mrs O
Mrs O

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Don't stress Kay, it will be ok. You have been planning for ages and I am sure it will go well !!

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks missgina!!!!! :) The main thing is I managed to get my dress on Saturday!!!!!! :bdance: Next thing on the list is wedding cake and vows and everything else :lol:

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Girls! Where did everyone have their engagement parties? We're trying to find somewhere in Canberra that we can have ours, a bit relaxed but not too casual... Thinking finger food etc

Thanks! :D

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am

october-apples wrote:
Hi Girls! Where did everyone have their engagement parties? We're trying to find somewhere in Canberra that we can have ours, a bit relaxed but not too casual... Thinking finger food etc

Thanks! :D

Sorry Apples, we never had one - I wanted to focus on the wedding! All the e parties I've been to have been at home although I've heard of people hiring out private rooms at various pubs & clubs. We had my dad's 50th at the Kurrajong, trays of finger food and a bar tab, it worked well and is a nice setting.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 am

We didn't have one either - my mum screwed that up for us and it was not worth the fight.

A friend of mine had one at the Calwell club.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:27 pm

we didn't have an engagement party either. We had been together by 5.5 years by then and we just felt it was silly

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Yipee! Thanks anyway :D
Home sounds like a good idea... Hadn't even considered it, if you can believe that!

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Wedding ceremony music ladies!!!!!! What's everyone having?

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 am

Only thing that's decided for us is the Procession Song... Which is Coldplay - Reign of Love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GD0TvEnUU :D I :heart: it!

MardieOCT09
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am

Hi,

I was married in Canberra in October and I have been promising myself to come and write some recs because I found WC so useful, obviously I have been a bit lazy though :oops:

I got a little push today so I will work on it.

Oh, and I just saw a comp to win wedding photography, I am not sure how far along you all are in your planning buy hey, its worth a shot if you don't have a photographer yet and are getting married before July.

http://www.mobephotography.com.au/weddings.htm

Mardie

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

kaywoman68 wrote:
Wedding ceremony music ladies!!!!!! What's everyone having?

We had my cousin play his guitar and sing. We had Lou Reed's "This Magic Moment" for the processional. For the signing he did instrumental versions of "So Happy Together" and "Here Comes the Sun". For the recessional he did an instrumental of "This Magic Moment". I loved it all, felt so lucky to have such a talented cousin (he's in a band on Unearthed so I really hope they succeed!) DH still tears up a bit when he hears "This Magic Moment" :) I have to say though, while I listened carefully at the rehearsal and got goosebumps, on the actual wedding day I don't remember hearing it at all! I do remember the signing music though, on the video you can see me bopping my head along and smiling at my cousin :)

pulltabhere
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

For music we are having

Walk down the "aisle" to Spiritualized - True Love will find you in the End. :heart: I'm really looking forward to seeing the look on FH's face, as it is a surprise for him.

Signing the papers to our very talented friend, who is a jazz singer, singing What a Wonderful World.

I can't wait to get married! 29 days to go.

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 am

pulltabhere wrote:
For music we are having

Walk down the "aisle" to Spiritualized - True Love will find you in the End. :heart: I'm really looking forward to seeing the look on FH's face, as it is a surprise for him.

Signing the papers to our very talented friend, who is a jazz singer, singing What a Wonderful World.

I can't wait to get married! 29 days to go.

We had "What a wonderful world" for our 2nd song at the reception - I danced with my dad to it. Great choice for a wedding I think.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I messaged Mardie and got a great recommendation from her about Aeolus Wind Trio. I think I will go with them for my wedding ceremony. I used to play the clarinet and I think it would be great :)

They said I can arrange to see them at a rehearsal.

Thanks Mardie! :)

Today: I went to see Enid at Amelia's Cakes. She does some amazing cakes! She's got albums and albums of cakes that she's done in the past. Just stunning!!!!!! I found a picture of a cake she did recently for a canberra wedding. It just looks gorgeous! I had a long chat with her and I'm a lot more confident about what I want. It's now to convince OH........ *sigh*

pulltabhere
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 am

I forgot to post in here - I FINALLY found a great makeup artist in Canberra! Her name is Jacqueline Scott, and this is her website - http://www.jsmakeup.com.au/

She is so lovely, asked me questions and listened to me, and I have no doubt she will make me beautiful on the day :heart:

Candyt99

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Sooo... we still haven't decided on a wedding venue, though we still have more than a year to go so I'm not too stressed.

We went and spoke to Rachel at the bookplate cafe at the National LIbrary. This is probably our top choice a the moment. It's gorgeous! The restaurant itself has beautiful stained-glass windows on one side and plate-glass windows on the other (looking into the library lobby). Outside is amazing - it's a huge area that can seat over 100 people and has a glass barrier with views over the lake. I immediately said I wanted to have it outside but FH pointed out that late April may not be all that clement and we may want to remember that most of our guests are coming from (warmer) Adelaide and Queensland. I have to say I cannot recommend Rachel enough. She is very professional and friendly; she definitely knows her stuff! Also she prefers to make the day personal rather than offerring a package deal. Once we think properly about a menu she'll give us a quote.

Did anyone else brave the bridal fair last Sunday? We found it a bit stressful due to all the people! And there was so much to take in! The lady from Affordable Bridal said she gave out over 2000 pamphlets! However we got to talk to some of the photographers and felt really comfortable with the couple from Axel photography. They're very down-to-earth and their prices are very reasonable so they're high on our list. However it turns out FH used to work with the guy from Schusters photography and videography and he said he'll give us a good deal. Maybe Axel for photography and Schusters for video...??

I'm stumped about the dress too. My plan was to try a few things on then get a dressmaker to make what I like (as I wanted something a little different). However now I've tried on a few dresses I'm not entirely sure what it is I like! Problem is I tried on this gorgeous low-waisted Peter Trends dress and it looked amazing! I'm not sure it's "the" dress though and it's also twice my budget! (Of course!)

Anyway I can't wait to get the date and venue organised, then we can start booking things like photographers, cars, bands etc. Luckily I have talented friends who have agreed to do my make-up and hair and make the cake! I hope everyone else is doing well with wedding plans!

Bride2B-Belle

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Yea I went to the bridal fair last weekind and loved it. Especially the dress parades!

I went dress shopping this weekend and wanted to review the stores I went to, as before I went shopping I read the reviews from heaps of other people on wedding forums and found them quite useful!

This is how I found it..

White doves:
was alot of fun, first store I went to...wide range of dresses at very affordable prices. Although my wedding is in may..I didnt find anything as everything was too big and apparently it takes them 4 months to order in a different size. I didnt realise then that they can be altered alot..i think the shop assistant was young so she might not have known.

Rosies Bridal:
I found them to be quite rushed actually. I booked an appointment and hardly had any service. The lady just sort of took me over to a rack then dissapeared, she didnt come back! Nothing really stood out for me anyway so I left!

Spurling:

Had a great range of gorgeous dresses and the sales lady was lovely. I found them to be really helpful and approachable. There where so many dresses there that I loved. It came down to 2 and I couldnt decide!

Brides of Manuka:

I found the sales people here to be really nice as well, very open and honest too. I found a dress I loved in the morning appointment and came back in the afternoon and tried it on again. I loved this dress and put a deposit down!

YAY so I have my dress...and its only like 80 or so sleeps to go!! :heart:

Becany

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:14 pm

also went dress shopping today for the first time.

Had an appointment at Roseys and was really disapointed with the service, there was none, then went to white doves and the service was slighty better but didn't find anything I liked so went to Nouvue Rich is Queanbeyan and can't say enought good things about them. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a lovely young man and we had his complete attension untill we left an hour later. He picked out 5 dresses that I loved and were within my budget then he helped me try them on. I am plus size so usually that would make me so uncomfortable but he was great and even tho none of the dresses fit I didn't get upset at all because of how nice he was.
I think I have found THE dress but am going to go out to affordable bridal before I make my choice.

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Did any of you look into a dress maker or do you know of one that is well recommended in the Canberra area? I just don't know if I like most of the styles that are around at the moment.... :|

YAY for you Belle! Hope you find the dress that's perfect Becany! I love your S&T btw :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15