A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Bride2B-Belle

Re: Canberra - Part 2

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm

october-apples wrote:
Did any of you look into a dress maker or do you know of one that is well recommended in the Canberra area? I just don't know if I like most of the styles that are around at the moment.... :|

YAY for you Belle! Hope you find the dress that's perfect Becany! I love your S&T btw :)

I didnt really look into it alot, but I saw anita J at the wedding expo and she seemed really nice. I also like royalty and rockstars, very unique

Becany

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:59 pm

october-apples wrote:
Did any of you look into a dress maker or do you know of one that is well recommended in the Canberra area? I just don't know if I like most of the styles that are around at the moment.... :|

YAY for you Belle! Hope you find the dress that's perfect Becany! I love your S&T btw :)

Thanks heaps

as for dress makers, a friend of mine had her dress made by Marleena at Bungendore Bridal Cottege and it was incredible and really resonably priced.
My firend took a photo and had it re-created and her dress was far more beautiful then the photo at a fraction of the price.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:30 pm

I went to Annabel's Bridal last Saturday and I found my dress! It was on sale too!!!!!! :D The ladies were all very helpful and friendly. I had an appointment. I walked in, told them my details and I was told about the dresses etc. I was given time to browse myself and someone would come back every 5-10 minutes just to see how I was going. The lady that helped me helped me with all aspects :) Can't wait till I go back for my fittings!

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 pm

october-apples wrote:

I've heard people mention Tee Anne in Kaleen. Maybe give her a call? or Chris Stott - http://www.chrisstottdesigns.apex.net.au/index.html. This is from searching etc online when I first got engaged.

MardieOCT09
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi again,

I hope these recs can help some Canberra Brides. I did alot of research and was really happy with most of my suppliers.

Dresses: LaBelle. I had heard mixed reviews about LaBelle but Ashley was amazing for me and really gave me honest opinions. I didn't end up getting 2 of my bridesmaid dresses until the Friday night before the wedding because of some miscommunication but I had every confidence they would arrive in time.
Reception; OPH, perfect, I was in love with the venue as soon I saw it. They went through a few wedding coordinators while I was engaged and were a little difficult when I asked for canapes after the ceremony rather then before dinner but it all turned out well.
Ceremony Music: Aeolus Wind Trio, played so well and it fit well with the courtyard setting (Kaywoman got a better price :evil:) hehe, they were worth it though.
Celebrant: Graeme Hush, really relaxed and gave us lots of freedom in the ceremony.
DJ: Ardanien Entertainment, we didn't get to meet our actual DJ until the night, he player all the songs we wanted but we were supposed to have a game thingo for the tables to write a poem for us and he didn't do that. He also took a video of the dance floor and it goes black for our wedding dance so you don't see it. I shouldn't complaint because I was told it might not work. But why just 'that' dance!
Florist: Joanne Flowers & Florist at Parliament House, I can not recommend Kathy enough from Joanne's florist, not only are her prices sooo much better then other florist when you mention weddings but she gave me great ideas and told me what was in season so I didn't have to pay extra to get flowers shipped in from around the county only to wilt on the day. I should have asked for white ribbons around the stems though becuase the purple came off on my dress a little. I had to use florist at Parliament House for the reception flowers and they matched them really well.
Car: A1 Cars for the Packard and a friend of a friend for the charger, they were both great.
Cake: Cake of your dreams, so easy to deal with, I wasn't really fussed on the cake but it looked awesome and the sugar flowers matched our flowers perfectly.
MakeUp: I booked Zoë Barton but she went away so she suggestion Kylie who works with her and Kylie was very professional and our makeup was flawless.
Hair: Cataldos, I have been getting my hair done there for years and my hairdresser knew exactly what I wanted even with my terrible explanations of hairstyles.

Hmm, what am I missing? Our photographer is a friend of a friend and I could not have asked for anything more. I love every single shot he took.
lorespics015 (8).jpg

If anyone is going to LA for their honeymoon I recommend going through magellanvacations travel agent, they were the cheapest rates and really great service, they even called me from the states instead of emailing.

Well done if you have got this far, sorry, I didn't realise it would be so long! If you want more details then please PM me.

Mardie

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:48 am

Becany wrote:
october-apples wrote:

Thanks heaps

as for dress makers, a friend of mine had her dress made by Marleena at Bungendore Bridal Cottege and it was incredible and really resonably priced.
My firend took a photo and had it re-created and her dress was far more beautiful then the photo at a fraction of the price.

Thanks Becany!! Do you have any idea at all about a price range?... I just have no idea where dress makers are in price ranges... :S

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 am

Wow! It's been very quiet in here!!!!!!

Thanks Mardie for the recommendation. I have booked Aeolus Wind Trio for the ceremony :)

Here's some pics of my dress :) I'll be wearing a 45 inch veil with the dress.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Is it easier to book someone that can do both make-up and hair or have it separate? For those Canberra ladies that are married, did you have separate hair and makeup stylists? If you got your hair done elsewhere, was it stressful?

Trying to figure things out right now! arrrgh!

missgina
Mrs O
Mrs O

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:36 am

Hi ladies
Kay - you look stunning, did you go to Annabels Bridal in Kingston? How did you find her, I found she was a mega biatch, so I went to Melbourne to buy the same dress.
In regards to hair and make-up I am going to have ours done at the same place, but at a salon not at home.

Mardie - thanks for your recs (even though I can't use them, it is good to know for other people). Great photo, I am glad to hear you are happy with your photos.

Hello to everyone else!

Bride2B-Belle

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

where did everyone get their bridesmaids dresses?

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm

missgina wrote:
Hi ladies
Kay - you look stunning, did you go to Annabels Bridal in Kingston? How did you find her, I found she was a mega biatch, so I went to Melbourne to buy the same dress.

Hi Missgina,

I didn't have a problem with anyone at Annabel's Bridal. In fact I called up a few days later to make an appointment to go back and try on the dress again and take photos (the ones posted) with no problems at all.

Who are you referring to? The one starting with M or the other lady? (can't remember her name).

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:41 pm

:e_wall: :e_wall: :e_wall: I am so sick of people asking me and giving me opinions on what I should do and not do for my wedding.

I'm happy to just plod along atm even though I know I only have 2.5 months left!

pulltabhere
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 am

I hear you Kay!! :e_hug: My bridesmaid keeps suggesting new things for me to do, and I only have 17 days until the wedding, and I'm juggling full time work and uni until then. So no new ideas! No new nothing!! AT ALL!

You look GORGEOUS in your dress :)

As to where I got my Bridesmaid's dresses, I'm having them made by http://www.polbymade.com.au/

She's great.

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm

kaywoman68 wrote:
Is it easier to book someone that can do both make-up and hair or have it separate? For those Canberra ladies that are married, did you have separate hair and makeup stylists? If you got your hair done elsewhere, was it stressful?

Trying to figure things out right now! arrrgh!

I was going to have someone do both, but she ended up not able to do it so we had 2 people. But they both travelled to be with us (this is up in the Snowy, I didn't want to have to drive into Jindabyne in the morning to get my hair done). When I was BM for my friend we went to the salon first about 9am then back to her place and the makeup ladies came and did it there. It worked just fine. There was the brides plus 3 BMs and her mum got her makeup done (was halfway through when we arrived). So I don't think going elsewhere is stressful, but it was very nice for me to not have to.

PS Your dress looks beautiful! I can't wait to see the next photos from Canberra brides. We've got a meeting with our photographer tonight so hopefully I'll have some more pics to put up soon.

Jodie

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 pm

morethantacos wrote:
I was going to have someone do both, but she ended up not able to do it so we had 2 people. But they both travelled to be with us (this is up in the Snowy, I didn't want to have to drive into Jindabyne in the morning to get my hair done). When I was BM for my friend we went to the salon first about 9am then back to her place and the makeup ladies came and did it there. It worked just fine. There was the brides plus 3 BMs and her mum got her makeup done (was halfway through when we arrived). So I don't think going elsewhere is stressful, but it was very nice for me to not have to.

Who did you get to do your hair and make-up in the Snowy Mountains? I'm getting married at Lake Crackenback so any recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, which florist did you use?

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 pm

pulltabhere, i've been looking at your S&T. Everything will be wonderful and amazing on the day!!!!! :)

tacos, I hope so!!!! (to see more photos!!!!)

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Jodie wrote:
morethantacos wrote:

Who did you get to do your hair and make-up in the Snowy Mountains? I'm getting married at Lake Crackenback so any recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, which florist did you use?

How nice to see another Lake Crackenback bride! That's where we got married too. It's lovely. I used Nicole from Star Hair and Claire from the Red Door - both are listed in Crackenback's wedding brochure and both were great. Tara at the Shire Florist did the flowers and I was so so so happy with them. Joan Herringer was our celebrant, she was fine although a few times I wished we went with Jane (can't remember her surname) as Joan was sometimes a bit slack on communication and the price ended up being more than she originally said (and more than Jane's, which was annoying because I'd gone with Joan based on price after not being able to choose between them)! But on the day I was happy with Joan and other people said she was great. Good luck with your planning!

Jodie

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:45 pm

morethantacos wrote:
Jodie wrote:
morethantacos wrote:
How nice to see another Lake Crackenback bride! That's where we got married too. It's lovely. I used Nicole from Star Hair and Claire from the Red Door - both are listed in Crackenback's wedding brochure and both were great. Tara at the Shire Florist did the flowers and I was so so so happy with them. Joan Herringer was our celebrant, she was fine although a few times I wished we went with Jane (can't remember her surname) as Joan was sometimes a bit slack on communication and the price ended up being more than she originally said (and more than Jane's, which was annoying because I'd gone with Joan based on price after not being able to choose between them)! But on the day I was happy with Joan and other people said she was great. Good luck with your planning!

Thanks so much for the recommendations - I live in Sydney (but grew up in Jindy) so it's a bit hard to meet all suppliers etc before making bookings. Do you remember how much Jane's quote was?

Do you have any pics of how you had the reception set up? I don't know what to do about table decorations... since we'll have long tables rather than round ones, I guess I can't just have just one centrepiece on each table. We were also considering setting up our own drinks and nibblies by the lake for after the ceremony, did you do anything like that?

bree&daniel

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi Ladies,

Completely off topic but FH wants me to ask what you are all doing for transport/cars as there appears to be a very limited choice here in Canberra. Have any of you sourced cars from anywhere else ie Goulburn/Wagga/South Coast/Wollongong etc and who have you gone with? We are after somthing that will fit all 8 of us and is hopefully a classical style car if possible.

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Jodie - I PM'd you!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07