A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Becany

Re: Canberra - Part 2

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

I met with a cake maker for the first time together and am now really confuses about what i want.

I thought i wanted a 3 tier square cake with lavender buttercream icing and silver cashew balls.

but this cake lady doesn't work with buttercream cause she said it was harder to work with and didn't give as good a colour and texture as fondant.

FH and i really hate the taste of fondant so now i don't know weather taste or look is more important.

would appreciate any advise.

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am

I think it depends on what's more important to you. Would you be happy with a cake that didn't look as "neat", if it meant you got to eat the icing? Or would you prefer the cake to look all smooth, and you just have to not eat the icing? Personally I was more interested in getting the cake maker we wanted, and I didn't care about the icing she used as long as the cake inside tasted good (I don't think buttercream was an option). I don't think buttercream looks bad at all, it's just different, so if that's what you want either insist on it or find someone who will work with it :)

Becany

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:31 pm

So i went wedding dress shopping today.

First i went to La Belle, there were beautiful dresses but i found the owner to be really pushy, i mean she was lovely and very complimentry and found me dresses that looked great on me but wouldn't let me try on the style i wanted to cause she said it would make me look pregnant.
I also asked her to write down the style and price for me and she only wrote down the name of the dress and not the brand, found that kinda wierd.
don't think i want to deal with her again.

Then i went to Spurling in Belco and thought the dresses were cheap and tacky and would only suit girls that were no bigger then a size 10...very dispoinnted.

Have my second appointments with Affordable and Novoue Riche in 2 weeks, think i will end up ordering from one of them, just cause of how great the service was!!!

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Becany have you been to brides of manuka? I love them!! They were NOTHING but helpful for me (and problem mother). They are great, and have some absolutely stunning dresses.

Becany

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:32 pm

carly_buttons wrote:
Becany have you been to brides of manuka? I love them!! They were NOTHING but helpful for me (and problem mother). They are great, and have some absolutely stunning dresses.

No haven't benn to Manuka, I am a plus size bride and I heard they were really rude to larger girls, have you heard anything like that? What about Anabells? Did you go there? I have an appointmnet in 2 weeks but they were really rude on the phone and said I had left it to late "but could come in and have a look if I wanted" wedding isn't till October , I know I am getting tight but didn't think it was too late.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 pm

It's very interesting hearing other people's experiences.

I called Anabelle's to make an appointment to look for a wedding dress and told them my wedding is in May. That was beginning of February. They never told me it was too late. I guess it really comes down to the person who answers the phone etc.

I had nothing but great service.

Bride2B-Belle

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 am

Becany wrote:
carly_buttons wrote:

No haven't benn to Manuka, I am a plus size bride and I heard they were really rude to larger girls, have you heard anything like that? What about Anabells? Did you go there? I have an appointmnet in 2 weeks but they were really rude on the phone and said I had left it to late "but could come in and have a look if I wanted" wedding isn't till October , I know I am getting tight but didn't think it was too late.

They said you left it too late and your wedding is in october? I only recently got my dress and my wedding is in may! how rude I wouldnt bother..I saw the dresses outside annabels and they looked pretty crap so I never went in.

Maybe you should give brides of manuka a shot anyway(they might have your dream dress!) I heard they where rude to everyone but gave it a go and found the opposite! Its where I ended up buying my dress
When I was there I saw a gorgeous dress in a plus size and it was beautiful. I am a size 10 and found the lady to be very honest about if the dresses i tried on fitted my shape properly. I had about 6 dresses and there was only one I think the lady really thought fitted well(i agreed and it was the one I got) But maybe that could be percieved as being rude.

I really hope they are not rude to larger girls! :(

amymelody
I survived and got married

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 am

hi all!

I'm from Canberra, but having a destination wedding in Fiji next year!!

I didn't want to start looking at dresses just yet, but when scouring the internet one caught my eye.

I emailed LaBelle to see if they had it, which they did, and I said I would be in Saturday to look at it.

They open at 10, I got there at 10.30 and she told me she just sold it!!!!!!!!! I was soooo angry :evil:

Winnie I think her name is, was rude and so didn't care that she sold it AFTER i told her I was coming in!!! And what's more she kept pushing me to try on this purple dress that was 'basically the same'. Like wtf - I don't want a purple dress...same style or not!!

Will not be going back, and wouldn't recommend others do either!!

So Brides of Manuka is nice? Did they have more casual/beach style dresses??

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

Amy I had a bad experience at La Belle too - the woman was b*tching about the previous customer in front of us! She was a plus size girl and from what the woman and her assistant were saying they thought this girl should listen to them rather than choose a dress she liked. It was really quite horrible and when we left my friend and I agreed we didn't want to know what they'd be saying about us. I got a similar card as what someone else said - very little info and from the whispering between them I suspect they put the wrong price on it. Not impressed.

I didn't shop at Brides of Manuka myself bc when I went with my sister the ladies were super rude to us. I don't think you will find very casual dresses there, but you never know. I have heard bad things about them from other brides as well.

I had a good experience at Annabel's in Kingston. White Doves and Rosey's in Fyshwick were dreadful (had appointments but no one spoke to us and at Rosey's we found one dress with a tag that had written on it "preggers dress"!!!!!). I didn't go to the one in Queanbeyan or Gundaroo. I found my dress at Angelic in Gold Creek and found those ladies to be lovely, the first thing Jill said to me was "you don't need to spend a fortune to look beautiful" and when I was trying on my veil and asked how long it should be the dressmaker said "there's no shoulds, you just have what you want."

amymelody

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:41 pm

morethantacos wrote:
Amy I had a bad experience at La Belle too - the woman was b*tching about the previous customer in front of us! She was a plus size girl and from what the woman and her assistant were saying they thought this girl should listen to them rather than choose a dress she liked. It was really quite horrible and when we left my friend and I agreed we didn't want to know what they'd be saying about us. I got a similar card as what someone else said - very little info and from the whispering between them I suspect they put the wrong price on it. Not impressed.
"

That's terrible!!

I thought wedding dress shopping would be fun and the ladies would ENJOY their job, I mean I think it would be great, essentially playing dress ups and helping ladies pick the prettiest thing in thier life!!

Oh well, the search for decent customer service in Canberra continues!!

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:16 pm

I had a great experience of Brides of Manuka, and got my dress from them. Queanebyan was also great - lots of choice too. I never did try anything on at Kingston because they all seemed too poofy and princessy for me, and I just wasn't interested.

Bride2B-Belle

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm

its sad to hear of all the people being treated badly when going to get their wedding dress. It should be an exciting time :cry:

missgina
Mrs O
Mrs O

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Becany - here are some of my dress shopping experiences in Canberra (and I did alot of it by myself as all my family and wedding party are in Melbourne). I found that I had a better experience when I took someone with me.

1. La Belle in Gungahlin - I will never ever ever set foot in their again (see this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=108025&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gungahlin)
2. Brides of Manuka - Lovely, lovely, lovely. I went there and they were very helpful, however they did not have my dream dress
3. White Doves - Lovely, lovely, lovely - they have a great range and there is one girl (Jess? - the pregnant one) that is great. Lots of dresses, but not "the one" for me.
4. Rosey's - great service, but I didn't like the dresses (I thought they were a bit cheap looking)
5. Nouveau Riche (Queanbeyan) - great service, good range (a little outdated on the Essence range)
6. Angelic Inspirations (Nicholls) - great service and good range

7. Annabels (Kingston) - Found my dress here, but Misty is a plain b**tch. I knew that before I went and took it all with a grain of salt. I was told in December 09 that I had left it too late for my August 10 wedding and I would need to order before Christmas. Because of this "reason" she tried to sell me a dress off the rack (but it was because she wanted to by new stock). I found my dream dress here, but because of her belitting attitude, I have since ordered the dress from another store in Melbourne. Misty is a b**tch, but a b**tch with style. My recommendation would be to go to her, be aware of her personality, she will find you a great dress.

If I had to order my dress in Canberra, I would have begrudginly gone with her. I could order it in Melbourne as I am getting married down there an my Nanna is doing the alterations.

My only advice for dress shopping is that you will know when it is "the dress", it can be a pain in the bum and you think you will never find it, but you do! :D

(wow by writing that, I just realised how many shops I went too!!)

amymelody

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:51 pm

missgina wrote:
Becany - here are some of my dress shopping experiences in Canberra (and I did alot of it by myself as all my family and wedding party are in Melbourne). I found that I had a better experience when I took someone with me.

1. La Belle in Gungahlin - I will never ever ever set foot in their again (see this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=108025&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gungahlin)
2. Brides of Manuka - Lovely, lovely, lovely. I went there and they were very helpful, however they did not have my dream dress
3. White Doves - Lovely, lovely, lovely - they have a great range and there is one girl (Jess? - the pregnant one) that is great. Lots of dresses, but not "the one" for me.
4. Rosey's - great service, but I didn't like the dresses (I thought they were a bit cheap looking)
5. Nouveau Riche (Queanbeyan) - great service, good range (a little outdated on the Essence range)
6. Angelic Inspirations (Nicholls) - great service and good range

7. Annabels (Kingston) - Found my dress here, but Misty is a plain b**tch. I knew that before I went and took it all with a grain of salt. I was told in December 09 that I had left it too late for my August 10 wedding and I would need to order before Christmas. Because of this "reason" she tried to sell me a dress off the rack (but it was because she wanted to by new stock). I found my dream dress here, but because of her belitting attitude, I have since ordered the dress from another store in Melbourne. Misty is a b**tch, but a b**tch with style. My recommendation would be to go to her, be aware of her personality, she will find you a great dress.

If I had to order my dress in Canberra, I would have begrudginly gone with her. I could order it in Melbourne as I am getting married down there an my Nanna is doing the alterations.

My only advice for dress shopping is that you will know when it is "the dress", it can be a pain in the bum and you think you will never find it, but you do! :D

(wow by writing that, I just realised how many shops I went too!!)

What great advice!!! I'm starting my dress shopping again after the long weekend, will take on your advice!! :)

Bride2Be2013

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Last edited by Bride2Be2013 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bride2Be2013

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Last edited by Bride2Be2013 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Welcome B2B2013. 40 kgs is a lot of weight to lose and should be done so healthily. I would definitely suggest Lite and Easy and perhaps a gym membership/personal trainer. I know it's a bit exxy but its completely calorie controlled and you don't need to buy any additional food. Failing that, join on the Calorie King website, and start inputting your food and exercise. It will keep you on track etc.

Becany

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:10 pm

carly_buttons wrote:
Welcome B2B2013. 40 kgs is a lot of weight to lose and should be done so healthily. I would definitely suggest Lite and Easy and perhaps a gym membership/personal trainer. I know it's a bit exxy but its completely calorie controlled and you don't need to buy any additional food. Failing that, join on the Calorie King website, and start inputting your food and exercise. It will keep you on track etc.

I second lite n easy, I have been on it for 8 months and have lost 20 kilos, I also plan to lose 40 kilos. I could of lost more if I was stricter with myself.
The food is great and it is so easy.
I also find I am saving money on not eating out or buying lunch at work, I think LnE is great value for money.

Bride2Be2013

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Last edited by Bride2Be2013 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

katbunney
Little Miss Pink BunnEy
Little Miss Pink BunnEy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

hi girls!
Wow I don't remember the last time that I was in here, but thought I'd come back to see how all the Canberra brides were going!

Hello to all the new ones and good luck with the preparation..

Just read about dress recommendations...

Highly recommend Angelic Inspirations at Gold Creek. I was a plus size bride and they didn't ever make me feel uncomfortable about it at all. I got married in October, my dress was ordered in May...and I only just had enough time cause it takes a few weeks for alterations, with fittings almost every weekend!

White Doves at Fhyswick were also good, even though I didn't find a dress there

hope it helps!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.23