Becany - here are some of my dress shopping experiences in Canberra (and I did alot of it by myself as all my family and wedding party are in Melbourne). I found that I had a better experience when I took someone with me.
1. La Belle in Gungahlin - I will never ever ever set foot in their again (see this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=108025&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gungahlin
2. Brides of Manuka - Lovely, lovely, lovely. I went there and they were very helpful, however they did not have my dream dress
3. White Doves - Lovely, lovely, lovely - they have a great range and there is one girl (Jess? - the pregnant one) that is great. Lots of dresses, but not "the one" for me.
4. Rosey's - great service, but I didn't like the dresses (I thought they were a bit cheap looking)
5. Nouveau Riche (Queanbeyan) - great service, good range (a little outdated on the Essence range)
6. Angelic Inspirations (Nicholls) - great service and good range
7. Annabels (Kingston) - Found my dress here, but Misty is a plain b**tch. I knew that before I went and took it all with a grain of salt. I was told in December 09 that I had left it too late for my August 10 wedding and I would need to order before Christmas. Because of this "reason" she tried to sell me a dress off the rack (but it was because she wanted to by new stock). I found my dream dress here, but because of her belitting attitude, I have since ordered the dress from another store in Melbourne. Misty is a b**tch, but a b**tch with style. My recommendation would be to go to her, be aware of her personality, she will find you a great dress.
If I had to order my dress in Canberra, I would have begrudginly gone with her. I could order it in Melbourne as I am getting married down there an my Nanna is doing the alterations.
My only advice for dress shopping is that you will know when it is "the dress", it can be a pain in the bum and you think you will never find it, but you do!
(wow by writing that, I just realised how many shops I went too!!)