A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

beckstar2012
I survived and got married

Re: Canberra - Part 3

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 am

It is very quiet in here isn't it??

I only have 6.5 weeks to go!! Yikes...seriously not sure where the past 19 months have gone.

How is all your planning going alycebride?

lissie77
4ever Mrs Gav
4ever Mrs Gav

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

just putting it here old old member but clearing out some wedding items
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10150513114699760&type=1 all can be picked up belconnen
if you see anything you like pm me or comment under photos :)
Good luck with all your wedding planning!

alycebride

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 pm

beckstar2012 wrote:
It is very quiet in here isn't it??

I only have 6.5 weeks to go!! Yikes...seriously not sure where the past 19 months have gone.

How is all your planning going alycebride?

Eek! 6 weeks so soon!! how exciting! My planning is going really well, everythings booked really, photographer, celebrant, venue, dress. I havent ordered a cake yet, where are you getting your cake from? The only place people seem to go is cake of your dreams but I was wondering if anybody had success anywhere else?

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:22 pm

There's a few around.

Kate Makes Cakes
Stacked Cakes
Little Miss Cupcake (her cupcakes are deeevvvviiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee)

softkitty

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all Am new to the site and getting married in Canberra 29th of september this year!
dont have alot actually planned yet i guess i need to get on to that!! would love to hear from anyone who has been to a reception at the burns club in kambah? a friend suggested it to me

beckstar2012

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:11 pm

I am getting my cake from Helena at Luna Cakes. Her cakes are absolutely fantastic (and she is so lovely to deal with.). She just made my mum's 50th birthday cake and it was divine. She is on facebook but if you would like her details let me know and I will PM you.

Congratulations on your engagement softkitty! I haven't been to a reception at the burns club but have been to a function there a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. We did enquire about having our reception there, however when we looked into it the food they had was chinese and that was not something we wanted to serve up to our guests as a main meal. I did notice that they have since changed the food and it is now more bistro style food, however can't give you any advice on what it is like.

We are having our reception at the Hellenic Club in Woden and found when we were looking at the clubs that they were definitely the best value for money and it fit all of our criteria.

What have you booked so far?

softkitty

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 am

We haven't booked ANYTHING!! we had half planned our wedding in Melbourne when a huge family issue caused us to change plans so i'm starting from scratch again!!
i'm having trouble finding somewhere to hold an indoor ceremony tho!

beckstar2012

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 am

Oh no, what a shame you have had to start from scratch!

What kind of location are you looking for for your ceremony?

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi softkitty - I had very little luck trying to find an indoor ceremony venue in Canberra that wasn't a church or a reception venue. I think there was only Gold Creek Chapel (which is just a hall, really, not Christian chapel) - it is gorgeous though!

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Ginninderry Homestead does hire out their reception hall for ceremonies only if there is no wedding on that day. I'm not too sure on their costs for Ceremony only. They also have nice gardens for photos.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Canberrans, the Bridal Expo is on this Sunday, 5 Feb at Exhibition Park:

http://www.weddingguide.com.au/expos/canberra.aspx

Has anyone been to the expo before? Is it worth the $12 entry fee?

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 am

This one is, the ones they hold afterwards are not. I went to all of them last year and found out that some suppliers only go to one a year, which is the one at the start of the year. The lady who is doing my makeup only went to the start of the year one.

beckstar2012

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 am

If you are in the very early stages of booking things then yes it is worth going but I found I had most of the big things booked and they didn't have stalls for the smaller things I needed.

alycebride

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm

I've been and I found it a really good meet to see what suppliers where like without the hassle of going to alot of meetings. I booked my DJ at the expo because she was really lovely and I didnt book a makeup artist because she was rude, I also got lots of suppliers for decorating, stationary and photographers. Plus they have cute ideas that you might not think of if you didnt go, I definitly think its worth it if you haven't booked much yet. Plus my friends went and won the door prize! :) saved them heaps.

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Canberra people,

Just thought I'd crash this thread and say hello to you all. FH are hoping to tie the knot in the Snowy Mountains, and there doesn't seem to be a fitting thread under NSW!

I'm looking forward to the expo on Sunday. We're in the very early stages of planning so I will be hunting down photographers and celebrants, and most importantly gathering ideas :)

softkitty

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Well we are going to look at the burns club tomorrow and also meeting with a celebrant, yay
dont think ill bother with the bridal expo im pretty good at researching and have lists of possibilities for most things now :D

also looking at booking Luna Cakes thanks for the recommendation :)

magpieC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am

Can anyone recommend a place in Canberra (preferably Belconnen area or at least North side) for eyebrow waxing. I've been scared off doing it again because last time I had a bad experience with a woman who when I asked for a little bit of shaping told me she wouldn't make them as thin as her eyebrows & then left me with a tiny almost invisible line of hairs right at the top of my brows.
Because I wanted them to grow back into something that made me look less like a freak I've now completely lost the shaping that I had before (I got my eyebrows waxed a couple of times professionally & then when that business shut down I just maintained that shape with tweezers).
I really don't want to completely change my look just before my wedding so I'm hoping to start a beauty regime now that I can maintain mostly at home over the next 18 months.

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I've been to Impressions Skin Care in the Churches Centre (opposite Westfields). They also have a frequent 'waxers' card. The times I've been there I've been happy.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Well, the Expo was rather a waste of time and money.

There were heaps of stalls for photography, and a few for reception venues (though by no means comprehensive). But for what I needed - hair, makeup, and possibly cake - there were no more than 1 or 2 stalls. I noticed there were only two celebrants, and 2 or 3 DJs as well... not really worth the $12 entry in my opinion.

Did anyone else go?

nikkilovesrick

NEED HELP WITH A.C.T. PHOTOGRAPHERS

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello Canberra Brides, I'm looking for a photographer at the moment and but as I am new to Canberra I don't know anybody's reputations here so I am wondering if everyone can give me some advice on which photographers they have heard are good or not so good... Thank you!
Also while I am here I may as well ask if anyone has had a wedding reception at Rydges Capital Hill.. Thank you!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.11