A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

softkitty

Re: Canberra - Part 3

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

that's a bummer about the expo I'm glad i didn't waste my time/money on it
hopefully you can find some good options though Google etc, Canberra can be a bit tough for options i've noticed.. definitely not as many or as much competition as melbourne

alycebride

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 pm

My photographer is Candice Ottaway shes amazing! I've also heard good things about T8 photography

alycebride

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm

gdemon wrote:
Well, the Expo was rather a waste of time and money.

There were heaps of stalls for photography, and a few for reception venues (though by no means comprehensive). But for what I needed - hair, makeup, and possibly cake - there were no more than 1 or 2 stalls. I noticed there were only two celebrants, and 2 or 3 DJs as well... not really worth the $12 entry in my opinion.

Did anyone else go?

Thats a shame, I had a great time when I went. Maybe suppliers have stopped going. :(

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:21 pm

alycebride wrote:
My photographer is Candice Ottaway shes amazing! I've also heard good things about T8 photography

We considered Candice, but she wasn't available for our date. We were offered another photographer from their studio, but FH didn't like her. He's not that great with having his photo taken so if he wasn't comfortable, then that was a deal breaker. We've just booked Ben from Fusion Photography... he's expensive but his work is very impressive, and most importantly, he made FH feel comfortable.

magpieC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 pm

gdemon wrote:
Well, the Expo was rather a waste of time and money.

There were heaps of stalls for photography, and a few for reception venues (though by no means comprehensive). But for what I needed - hair, makeup, and possibly cake - there were no more than 1 or 2 stalls. I noticed there were only two celebrants, and 2 or 3 DJs as well... not really worth the $12 entry in my opinion.

Did anyone else go?

We were there, as the things we were trying to pin down were photographer & venue it did help (at least I confirmed that there wasn't another venue that looked like what we wanted & was cheaper than our preferred venue. & I also picked up 3 photographers within our price range that I hadn't found in my internet searches. 2 of them said via email that they couldn't do what we wanted and we're meeting with the third on Friday (fortunately from meeting her at the expo she was our preferred option).

alycebride

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 am

misteri82 wrote:
alycebride wrote:

We considered Candice, but she wasn't available for our date. We were offered another photographer from their studio, but FH didn't like her. He's not that great with having his photo taken so if he wasn't comfortable, then that was a deal breaker. We've just booked Ben from Fusion Photography... he's expensive but his work is very impressive, and most importantly, he made FH feel comfortable.

Haha the other girl is actually one of my friends from high school :P She's very good also. Fusion is a very different style to Candice! But its good that you found someone

miss2

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

HI Ladies,
just wondering if anyone has ever used or heard anything about this place? it sounds to good to be true lol.
http://www.perfectgown.com.au/

alycebride

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 am

miss2 wrote:
HI Ladies,
just wondering if anyone has ever used or heard anything about this place? it sounds to good to be true lol.
http://www.perfectgown.com.au/

seems really good! The pictures of the brides on there all look really nice, maybe its so cheap because they are only starting out?

rice_bun

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello All,
I am getting married in August this year and struggling to find a location to have our wedding ceremony. My partner and I are non-religious so we don't want to have it in a church, although Gold Creek Chapel is beautiful it is quite expensive. We've also looked a some out door locations and gardens but are worried about the cold weather around that time of year.

Any suggestions of holding ceremonies indoors that is non-denominational? Thanks.

alycebride

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 pm

People are always having this problem Rice! There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of options available for non-religious indoor weddings around here!
Fellow brides-to-be could someone please tell me who they used/using for suit hire who were reasonably priced? I want to pay for the guys suit hire so I don't want to pay a fortune if possible!

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

rice_bun wrote:
Hello All,
I am getting married in August this year and struggling to find a location to have our wedding ceremony. My partner and I are non-religious so we don't want to have it in a church, although Gold Creek Chapel is beautiful it is quite expensive. We've also looked a some out door locations and gardens but are worried about the cold weather around that time of year.

Any suggestions of holding ceremonies indoors that is non-denominational? Thanks.

Hello,

Kamberra Winery will hire out their rooms for ceremony only, but the cost is about the same as Gold Creek! I think the Botanic Gardens may have some indoor areas to hire out for ceremonies (I think the Hudson's Cafe manages wedding bookings), but the rooms are pretty basic and nothing as nice as Gold Creek or Kamberra.

You could also check out the Majura Functions Room at Majura Community Centre in Dickson, or the Corrobree Park Hall Function Room - they are cheap but again, not fancy!

The Boat House by the Lake, Kurrajong Hotel, and National Portrait Gallery are wedding reception venues that have lovely indoor areas for indoor ceremonies but they also come with a hefty 'ceremony charge'.

MicheletheCelebrant

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi rice_bun

Congratulations on your happy plan.

I'm a Canberra celebrant and I've been checking out places for winter weddings recently for a couple who want an indoor winter wedding ceremony. I've been looking for places with open fireplaces.

Here are a few suggestions:
Ivy Cafe in Acton - great for a small relaxed wedding. Very reasonable cost.
Ginninderry Homestead - beautiful homestead, great reception venue, bring your own caterer or they'll suggest one for you.
Pialligo Plant Farm - get married in the gallery near the open fire, and have your reception next door at Pod Food.
University House - lovely open fire, large reception venue and reasonable cost reception
Tuggeranong Homestead - a couple of the rooms in the homestead have open fires as I recall. Great reception venue, very good, generous food, and good value for money.
Hotel Canberra - has an elegant lounge with open fire, beautiful venue, expensive.
Crisp Lavender Gardens and Galleries - out of town but a magnificent venue. They can arrange catering for you.
Shaw Vineyard in Murrumbateman - haven't seen the open fire but heard it's attractive. A foodies' delight.
Shepherd's Run in Wamboin - Vineyard cafe and conference centre. Small happy venue, good food.
Rose Cottage in Tuggeranong. Great venue for a winter's day. Sit inside with the fire going and look out full-surround windows at the wintry weather. Food quite good, and good value for money, I've been told.

Another possibility is Poacher's Pantry - can't remember if they have an open fire or not, but it's cosy in winter. Food's good and you can have your ceremony outside if it's a sunny day (as you can, of course, at all the other places I've just mentioned).

Here's another idea - it's an indoor garden, so you can feel that you're outside yet you'll definitely be warm - Pavilion on Northbourne Atrium.

Hope this all helps
If I think of any other places, I'll post another comment.
All the best with your wedding plans

Michele the Celebrant
http://celebrantcanberra.blogspot.com/

alycebride

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 am

MicheletheCelebrant wrote:
Hi rice_bun

Congratulations on your happy plan.

I'm a Canberra celebrant and I've been checking out places for winter weddings recently for a couple who want an indoor winter wedding ceremony. I've been looking for places with open fireplaces.

Here are a few suggestions:
Ivy Cafe in Acton - great for a small relaxed wedding. Very reasonable cost.
Ginninderry Homestead - beautiful homestead, great reception venue, bring your own caterer or they'll suggest one for you.
Pialligo Plant Farm - get married in the gallery near the open fire, and have your reception next door at Pod Food.
University House - lovely open fire, large reception venue and reasonable cost reception
Tuggeranong Homestead - a couple of the rooms in the homestead have open fires as I recall. Great reception venue, very good, generous food, and good value for money.
Hotel Canberra - has an elegant lounge with open fire, beautiful venue, expensive.
Crisp Lavender Gardens and Galleries - out of town but a magnificent venue. They can arrange catering for you.
Shaw Vineyard in Murrumbateman - haven't seen the open fire but heard it's attractive. A foodies' delight.
Shepherd's Run in Wamboin - Vineyard cafe and conference centre. Small happy venue, good food.
Rose Cottage in Tuggeranong. Great venue for a winter's day. Sit inside with the fire going and look out full-surround windows at the wintry weather. Food quite good, and good value for money, I've been told.

Another possibility is Poacher's Pantry - can't remember if they have an open fire or not, but it's cosy in winter. Food's good and you can have your ceremony outside if it's a sunny day (as you can, of course, at all the other places I've just mentioned).

Here's another idea - it's an indoor garden, so you can feel that you're outside yet you'll definitely be warm - Pavilion on Northbourne Atrium.

Hope this all helps
If I think of any other places, I'll post another comment.
All the best with your wedding plans

Michele the Celebrant
http://celebrantcanberra.blogspot.com/

Oh I totally forgot about the Pavilion on Northbourne! Its such a great idea, you can have an "outdoor" wedding rain, hail or shine!

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Ginninderry Homestead - you have to use their caterer which is Flair Gourmet.

rice_bun

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for the advice and ideas ladies. I will have a look into all of those and hopefully I'll find something. :)

miss2

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

hi ladies
just wondering if anyone has had or is having there ceremony at goolabri? i still need to go and look at it but its sounding fairly good so far!
if anyone has been there would you mind possibly putting up some pics? they dont have much of a gallery so im struggling to see what a wedding owuld look like there.
they dont seem to have a set price per person either so im waiting to hear back.
thank you :)

alycebride

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Hey Miss2, I went and had a look at Goolabri when I was looking at venues. Pros: Lovely lawns, interesting venue, room is nice. Cons: Its quite a drive out of town and its actually kind of confusing you have to go left to get right... weird, also they used to have rooms for guests to stay in but thats now changed to units so theres people living right next to where your ceremony which is kind of strange and you cant stay on site anymore.

Ohana

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi girls,

Just hoping I could join in!

We are getting married in Feb 2013 at Lake Crackenback Resort (we live just outside Canberra). We had a look around at a couple of canberra venues. In particular I LOVED the boat house (and the event coordinator there was lovely - James I think?). I was quite disappointed when we went to Grazings - there minimum spend was quite large, and the room lacked atmosphere, there was also smelly garbage and the gardens haddn't been cleaned up - this is about 3 hours before a reception was suppose to start 8O

We also loved poacher's pantry - but there were a few obsticals. Mainly being transport, minimum spend, wet weather options for the ceremony and the set up of the room. I really love it there though. I might have may hen's party lunch there (the civilised one anyway lol!)

We have so far booked our reception, celebrant and cake. I'm currently in the market for a photographer. We want a photographer that takes great family photos (as opposed to completely arty??) The problem being that most photographers post arty photo's but no family oriented photos on their websites. While I'd love some special photos of us, family is also really important so I want to know that they'll capture that too. Has anyone had any experience with O photography?

I'm also trying on a dress this week (have appointments booked at Annabel's, Qbn and Manuka) - just wondering if you girls could provide any hints or tips for when I go (other than wearing nice underwear) :wink:

beckstar2012
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Ohana

Congratulations on your engagement and YAY for settinig a date and booking your venue. Lake Crackenback Resort looks absolutely beautiful.

When we were looking at photographers I found that so many of the photos were digitally fiddled with and I didn't want that at all. I wanted a photographer who wouldn't be right in our face and making us pose for serious photos as that isn't us. We wanted our wedding to be about fun and laughter and when we were in the process of finding a photographer a friend of a friend was starting up her own business. She was fantastic and we barely even knew she was there on the day. She got lots of great photos of our family members and we just had a ball when we were out taking photos at the location we picked. If you would like her details feel free to PM me and I can pass them onto you. She hasn't done too many weddings and is only in her second year of photographing seriously but we were so happy with what she did for us-and she has really reasonable prices.

One thing I will say to you about dress shopping is go in with an open mind! I had a bit of an idea on what I wanted and didn't want but wasn't too fussed (not like some people who know exactly what they want) and the lady at Angelic Inspirations pulled out a dress that I almost refused to try on becuase I didn't like the look of it...I am so glad I did try it on becuase I fell in love with it and ended up putting the deposit down then and there! I know a few people have had problems with Angelic Insprirations but I would highly recommend checking them out too as they did nothing but bend over backwards for me.

Best of luck and if there is anything else you would like tips on the girls here are so helpful so just ask-no question is a silly question!

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm

We've booked Michael Thorne who owns MTE Photography. Really nice guy who is very down to earth. Check out his website. His costs weren't over the top either.

Just had to add I got my dress from Angelic Inspirations as well. I knew what I wanted and thought I'd have to custom make it, but they had it on their racks. I didn't even haggle over the price. :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.23