A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Re: Darwin - Part 2

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Darwinites... please help the flood relief: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 2338248338
Last edited by drinkyoupretty on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey Darwin girls, what is Darwin like to visit at the end of April? Our friend there said it's good barra fishing, but we don't know what else. Trying to decide between Darwin and the N/W of WA for a little easter getaway.

Picklecat

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Oooh, I only considered the V's, not the cup. Might have to change the date into August. We are planning for indoor venues so it wont get too hot. We are only looking at about 10 people from interstate, so hopefully they can deal with whatever Darwin throws at us.

Thank's for the advice about Char, might pay them a visit and see what the food is like when they don't know us. That way we can review the food they have on offer - the last time I want it was pretty good. Someone also tole me Pee Wee's is booked solid for Saturday's for the next 3 years! I'll still see what they have.

Would you mind letting me know chow you go with chiggys? I have decided I will probably make my own invites, but I need to find the right paper.

Last year, I had a palm fall over from the reserve opposite the house, over (rather through) the fence and through the window of the spare bedroom and onto the bed! Very scary. They get a crane in to lift it over the roof and into the street.Luckily it was a rental so we didnt have to dish out for the damage.

I'll get some stuff togehter for a show and tell.

My dress - http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?page=10&style=S5261

It's a cherry blossom theme so lot's of dusky rose :)

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:42 pm

What a gorgeous dress! Look forward to your S&T :)

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Dandy, in 2010 April was still pretty warm with a little bit of rain. I remember being worried about rain as it was close to my wedding day 15 May. And it was stinkin hot on my wedding day!

It will start getting busier though... but weather wise - not as good as June/July.

darwinchic
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Wow Picklecat your dress is lovely, I think I may have tried it on when I was looking at dresses last year - very pretty!!!!!

Dandy - if you come at the end of April like DYP said its still hot and humid but bareable. Everything will still be green and lush though, just check if you can get out to kakadu etc as sometimes its still really wet out there and they dont do as much tourist stuff, but the wetlands and waterfalls will look fabulous!!

Yeah Kristen at chiggys was helpful, I would reccommend that you go and talk to her and see what she can come up with for you and compare the cost of her doing it to you DIY.

Currently hiding in the bedroom trying to avoid the house reno's 8) ......

Not_bridezilla_yet

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 pm

It's been a while since i've been on.

Enchanted Moments & Holiday Inn are holding a wedding expo on Saturday 5th 3pm - 6pm and Sunday 6th 11am - 4pm. It will be held at the Holiday Inn Esplanade and is free entry.

So here's the latest update from me. I just received our bonbonnaries on the weekend. They are personalized fans in little bags for our outdoor wedding. Yesterday I ordered and paid for the bridesmaid dresses and saw a wedding dress which I can't stop thinking about. The problem is I already planned to wear a different dress which is much cheaper :( What should I do? Now I don't believe in spending so much $$$ on a dress you are only gonna wear for one day. FH told me to just buy it! All the dresses need to be ordered in and will take 3 months so I need to decide soon since our wedding is in June. Last night my sister helped me put the invites together. I have designed my own invites. So just need to finalise the guest list so we can send them out. Does anyone know where you can buy the magnet to stick on the back? Haven't booked the photographer yet wish I did it last year coz his price has since increased. Have contacted him and just waiting on a reply. Darwinchic my MOH suggested I do the slab of cake also. I orginally wanted a cupcake wedding but just the cost of it put me off. We're inviting 200 guests. So I might still have the cupcakes & go the non decorated one also. I still need to find a cake person. DYP I saw your spread in the latest Wish. Yesterday I ordered the flowers. I am getting silk flowers from the US thanks to LMC (Lil mis chatterbox) for the recommendation. They have such a lovely range. Am planning a hens/30th weekend in Bali during the May day weekend. Just a weekend of pampering with the girls can't wait. That's it for now. Seeya ladies :)

Not_bridezilla_yet

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 pm

DYP can you pm me the name of the DJ also? Does anyone know if you can hire Hummer's? I haven't booked the wedding car yet.

Picklecat

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Thank you, I love it. I wasn't sure when it was on the hanger, but once I was in, I fell for it.

I am going to start making some calls to venues - is there anything I should remember to ask?

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

We are about to put our house on the market, and are looking for someone to care lovingly for our two small dogs (Milly and Chilli) while we have private inspections and open days. Our thought was to drop off each Thursday and pick up each Sunday, but if someone was willing to adopt them the whole time (hopefully only 4-6 weeks) we would be really grateful. I have shopped around the commercial pet-minders, but they all charge through the roof (in my opinion). We could almost rent them a 2-bedroom unit for the same price.

I don't really want to rant and rave about how cute and awesome these two dogs are on this forum, but if someone did contemplate doing this, I would happily tell you more. We could even negotiate a payment, on top of food expense of course. Please PM if you would like loving companionship for a few weeks starting late January.

darwinchic
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Not_bridezilla_yet wrote:
Yesterday I ordered and paid for the bridesmaid dresses and saw a wedding dress which I can't stop thinking about. The problem is I already planned to wear a different dress which is much cheaper :( What should I do? Now I don't believe in spending so much $$$ on a dress you are only gonna wear for one day. FH told me to just buy it! All the dresses need to be ordered in and will take 3 months so I need to decide soon since our wedding is in June.

My two cents worth - buy the dress - if you have tried it on and it looks lovely and you have fallen in love with it and it will bug you when you wear the other dress you originally wanted then its meant to be yours!!! Yep its only for one day - but you only do it once in a lifetime (hopefully!!!!) :wink:

no longer hiding in the bedroom - FH found me - damn! :lol: now sanding back the rails on the balcony for painting..... and its hot!

Wish I could help you out DYP but I have two already...have you tried the pet sitters?? They might have a suggestion? or an ad in saturdays paper??

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm

All sorted! We posted on our work noticeboard and got 3 or 4 responses. Brought them to meet one in Gunn today and it's perfect! :D

proud_darwinite
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 am

Dandelion wrote:
Hey Darwin girls, what is Darwin like to visit at the end of April? Our friend there said it's good barra fishing, but we don't know what else. Trying to decide between Darwin and the N/W of WA for a little easter getaway.

Hi Dandelion,

How Darwin is at the end of April will depend a lot on how the wet season goes this year. It can often be starting to head into the dry by then, or it can still be raining :roll: The mindle beach markets are set to re-open April 28th, which means they expect the rain to be easing off by then (open air markets along side a beach, so doesn't really work if its raining much!). N/W of WA would have very similar weather to us - where about were you thinking? It is lovely over that way as well...though I am a little biased and say you should come to Darwin! :P It should be nice and green, but hopefully not too hot. We have lots of markets if you are into that sort of thing. We have the waterfront area with restaurants, cafes and the wave pool/swimming area, most of litchfield would hopefully be open, a scenic flight over kakadu would be awesome that time of year as everything would be green, waterfalls flowing, animals everywhere etc There is the fishing, if you like that as well....Any questions feel free to ask :D

proud_darwinite
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 am

darwinchic wrote:
Ok so the cake quotes are in - ranging from $540-900.... I dont know what other people think but as we aren't having the cake as dessert, so really its an extra is it bad to not make enough cake to go around?? :?

One of the cake people said that she can make the cake and then have a square non decorated one to help make up the numbers (ie per person). There will be about 50% of the people being male at the wedding - I'm sure they dont care about cake, just that the bar tab doesn't run out!!

Darwinchic,

Did you try Cakes to yuor taste? We had a 2 tier cake (all cake lol) and I think it was $200.

Not_bridezilla_yet

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm

darwinchic wrote:
Not_bridezilla_yet wrote:
Yesterday I ordered and paid for the bridesmaid dresses and saw a wedding dress which I can't stop thinking about. The problem is I already planned to wear a different dress which is much cheaper :( What should I do? Now I don't believe in spending so much $$$ on a dress you are only gonna wear for one day. FH told me to just buy it! All the dresses need to be ordered in and will take 3 months so I need to decide soon since our wedding is in June.

My two cents worth - buy the dress - if you have tried it on and it looks lovely and you have fallen in love with it and it will bug you when you wear the other dress you originally wanted then its meant to be yours!!! Yep its only for one day - but you only do it once in a lifetime (hopefully!!!!) :wink:

no longer hiding in the bedroom - FH found me - damn! :lol: now sanding back the rails on the balcony for painting..... and its hot!

Wish I could help you out DYP but I have two already...have you tried the pet sitters?? They might have a suggestion? or an ad in saturdays paper??

Thanks darwinchic :D

darwinchic
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm

proud_darwinite wrote:
darwinchic wrote:
Ok so the cake quotes are in - ranging from $540-900.... I dont know what other people think but as we aren't having the cake as dessert, so really its an extra is it bad to not make enough cake to go around?? :?

One of the cake people said that she can make the cake and then have a square non decorated one to help make up the numbers (ie per person). There will be about 50% of the people being male at the wedding - I'm sure they dont care about cake, just that the bar tab doesn't run out!!

Darwinchic,

Did you try Cakes to yuor taste? We had a 2 tier cake (all cake lol) and I think it was $200.

Yep I tried this one - that was the $900 quote!!! The cake I want has alot of design on it so I think thats were the cost lies....

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 pm

DC are you here right now??

How do I know for sure if a cat is pregnant!? 8O
We found a furry friend in our front garden this evening. She is very skinny but has a bushy coat and tail, and a tiny bulge in her tummy. We thought it was from the food we gave her, but now we're not so sure.

I'll bring her to The Ark tomorrow if they can fit me in, to check if she's got a chip.

darwinchic
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I did a Vistaprint Order today.... :wink:
* Post cards - free - for the baby sitting information
* Return address labels - free - for the envelopes (140 of them)
* Premium Business Cards - $26 - for the wishing well information
* Invites DL size - $132 for 100 - and comes with the free white envelopes
* RSVP cards - $76 for 80 - and I think these come with free white envelopes also
* free pen and a 2011 calendar for $6 with pics of my doggies :wink: ! (just extra's for me!)

Free 3 day rush delivery for most of the items :D and the whole lot came to a total of $240 - I was happy with that - the invites I was looking at before alone where going to cost over $500!!! 8O All I have to do now is work out how to feed them through the printer to get peoples names on their ok.
When I get a bit more organised next month I am going to organise to get the order of service covers done up on here as well as long as the quality is good....

Got a meeting with Kay Wright the celebrant on Saturday - what questions do I need to ask her :?: - any advice would be great!!!

almostthere
finallydone
finallydone

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Picklecat - if you're booking your reception anywhere that has accommodation attached, make sure you ask if they can provide discounted rates for guests. We did this and got some good deals. :D

louise82

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Pickelcat-

We had our wedding at char last year and it was amazing. We absolutely loved our reception it was perfect for what we wanted, the room just oozes old darwin charm and suited our cocktail reception. We did have some hicups along the way but that was previous management. It is definitely worth considering as a venue. If you are seriously thinking about it I can email you some photos from our reception.

Happy Planning.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.38