A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Darwin

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Sooooo excited!!! Forgot one of my friends is a photographer! Shes offered to do my wedding ALL day for $400!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

elle8 wrote:
Sooooo excited!!! Forgot one of my friends is a photographer! Shes offered to do my wedding ALL day for $400!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

awwwwww man!!!!!!
can i get mate's rates too??

i've got a quote from a photographer: Kara Burns

Prints Only Package: $1200
8 hours of Photography
All images on CD in high res
Images on disk in colour, bw & sepia
4 prints (11x14) of a single image
Retouching on the enlarged image
100 images printed to 5x7

Her description: "The eight hours means I am willing to travel to both the bride and grooms place to get ready, the ceremony, your family photos, bridal party, two location shoots with you and your groom, then the reception (or part of it).

I retouch all the images using a 'softening filter' in photoshop, but I spend about an hour retouching the enlarged image to make it magazine quality. Most of the images don't require excess retouching, but I do optimise them for good skin, bright colours and even edges. The process of editing these images takes about 6 hours and the result is excellent. Usually an 8 hour wedding will get about 400-500 images. The 100 images can be printed at standard photo size of
6x4 or 5x7 inches (one size bigger than the standard photo size).

I offer the 'prints package' to brides as as a way of saving money. Many companies now offer DIY wedding albums / books really cheaply. You can make them at http://www.snapfish.com.au or http://blurb.com.au or even at Harvey Norman.

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:13 pm

That sounds alright for an 8 hour package. I saw one for $900 but that was only 4 hours and 50 pics printed + a CD I think?

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:23 pm

did you end up going to whoops-a-daisy? and any updates on your dress?

i've booked appointments with a few bridal shops to try specific dress types: light gold/champagne, fish tail, one shoulder.... just to see if they look good on me and i can go back to my designer and say "yup, on the right track!"

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:38 pm

drinkyoupretty wrote:
did you end up going to whoops-a-daisy? and any updates on your dress?

i've booked appointments with a few bridal shops to try specific dress types: light gold/champagne, fish tail, one shoulder.... just to see if they look good on me and i can go back to my designer and say "yup, on the right track!"

Havent gone there yet, will probably go on Saturday if I have time (looking for bridesmaid dresses again!)

The dress can be made in white/white so I'm going in to officially order that on Saturday too (have to put down 30-50% deposit, its $1100) I was originally going to buy a dress off ebay, you know, get the 5yo's in China to make it :lol: That would have only been around $200 but found one pretty much the same at the big day and I just didnt like it as much as the one I'm getting so looks like I'm forking out the extra cash! 8O
e9_1_b.jpg

^That one wasnt as comfy and kinda stiffish. The one I've gone with is nice and flowy which is good seeing as I'll be bending over to pick up my kids and stuff

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 pm

so are you going for the one at dressy dresses (initially with cappucino sash) or the one in the pic above? *confused*:?

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Sorry :oops: Yes the cappuccino one but in white ;) the one above is the one I orginally wanted before I tried the one I'm getting on

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm

elle8 wrote:
Sorry :oops: Yes the cappuccino one but in white ;) the one above is the one I orginally wanted before I tried the one I'm getting on

yayyy i like the dressy dresses one! of course, it doesn't matter what i like, but good choice!! :tick: :mrgreen:

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:31 pm

drinkyoupretty wrote:
elle8 wrote:

yayyy i like the dressy dresses one! of course, it doesn't matter what i like, but good choice!! :tick: :mrgreen:

Thanks! :D

Did you book an appointment with La Sposa? They seemed to have alot of beady type dresses similar to the ones you like. The big day didnt seem to have many dresses at all but I didnt have an actual appointment with them so maybe they had some out back or something?

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 pm

elle8 wrote:
Did you book an appointment with La Sposa? They seemed to have alot of beady type dresses similar to the ones you like. The big day didnt seem to have many dresses at all but I didnt have an actual appointment with them so maybe they had some out back or something?

yup, my appts this saturday are for the big day & la sposa. i've been to both before. i think for the big day, serina doesn't have too many in stock but she can design a dress according to your budget, if i'm not wrong. the lady who recommended serina to me had her daughter's dress made by serina.

so far, my favourite has been la sposa but shhhhhhhh i won't be buying a dress from any of the bridal shops here (i don't plan to, unless something disastrous happens!) because i'm getting one designed in singapore to fit my theme. but i want to make sure that the colour & style i have in mind actually suit me, and not just in my imagination!

i saw two umbrella pole thingies (garden parasols) at East Meets West in Mitchell St and i thought they'd be perfect for our ceremony, instead of an arch. So i'm going to check them out again on Saturday and buy them...sucks that they're $65 each but i hope to re-sell them on ebay or something!

oh, and i think i've found THE song... the song i'm gonna walk down the aisle to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLPBS4Qgqo :mrgreen:
also considering this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ_V_hUZ5s&feature=related

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:19 pm

drinkyoupretty wrote:
elle8 wrote:

yup, my appts this saturday are for the big day & la sposa. i've been to both before. i think for the big day, serina doesn't have too many in stock but she can design a dress according to your budget, if i'm not wrong. the lady who recommended serina to me had her daughter's dress made by serina.

so far, my favourite has been la sposa but shhhhhhhh i won't be buying a dress from any of the bridal shops here (i don't plan to, unless something disastrous happens!) because i'm getting one designed in singapore to fit my theme. but i want to make sure that the colour & style i have in mind actually suit me, and not just in my imagination!

i saw two umbrella pole thingies (garden parasols) at East Meets West in Mitchell St and i thought they'd be perfect for our ceremony, instead of an arch. So i'm going to check them out again on Saturday and buy them...sucks that they're $65 each but i hope to re-sell them on ebay or something!

oh, and i think i've found THE song... the song i'm gonna walk down the aisle to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLPBS4Qgqo :mrgreen:
also considering this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ_V_hUZ5s&feature=related

Yeah I've heard Serinas really good at alterations and stuff like that.

I had a few fav's at La Sposa but they were $2000+ 8O Waaayyyy over my budget concidering I was going with a $200 dress at first :lol: The only reason I tried dresses on in the begining was to see what style I liked and then I was going to buy the cheaper version :twisted: that was until I fell in love with my dress :heart:

Crap $65 is a bit much! but if you can sell them on ebay that would be cool!

Will go listen to your songs now ;) Have picked mine but I keep changing my mind! lol

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Think I like the first version better but the piano version does make it sound more weddingish if you know what I mean?

mardilea
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:38 pm

drinkyoupretty wrote:
mardilea, who did your hair and makeup? you looked stunning!

My hair was done at Vanilla in the vic arcade. I always get my hair done there, so it was a natural choice to ask them to it.
My make up was done by a lady called Jules, who I met through another friend. She was amazing, she doesn't normally like to do brides (she said that it takes lots of work for bridal parties) so I was really lucky.

Darwinian

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi all, long time no hear. Well I'm officially MARRIED. The wedding went so smoothly, except it was exceptionally hot...gotta love Darwin.
Just a heads up though, I've had a really hard time with ImpressionNT (located in the city). Please be weary when using any of their services. I won't disclose details but I just thought I would warn you.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Darwinian wrote:
Hi all, long time no hear. Well I'm officially MARRIED. The wedding went so smoothly, except it was exceptionally hot...gotta love Darwin.
Just a heads up though, I've had a really hard time with ImpressionNT (located in the city). Please be weary when using any of their services. I won't disclose details but I just thought I would warn you.

someone told me to avoid using their transport service... hmmm..
and congratulations!!
could you give us more details of your wedding? like date, venue, etc...

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 pm

actually i've just gone through all your previous posts and found out you had your ceremony at speaker's green and reception at la beach.
but hey, if you have pics and recommendations/suggestions for us B2B's, that would be fantastic!!!

Darwinian

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Something I didn't mention previously was that I stayed at the apartments at the Medina (wave pool). The staff were excellent and the rooms were awesome. The rooms were cheaper then other apartments in the city. I paid $270.00 for the Saturday night and $220.00 for the Sunday night. I know it sounds expensive but I felt it was money well spent. To stay at Evolution apartments was going to cost me $470.00 a night.
Transport was one of the issues we had with ImpressionNT along with there inability to return phone calls, emails or even be at their office during work hours. It kinda made for a really stressful time leading up to the wedding and we are still chasing them: ( It's a real pity because they have a lot of good stuff on offer.
My husband organised the wedding cake and that was through Kurts Cakes. I wanted the traditional three tiered cake but the hubby wanted cupcakes so Kurt compromised and created what looked like a cake but was actually square cupcakes close together. VERY IMPRESSIVE. We got to "cut" the cake and best of all our wedding cake had various flavours (some were choc, white choc, plain, baileys).
Michael from Infocus was our photographer and I would highly recommend him. I really wanted “fun” photos and he was super cool at making sure we got a few fun ones. Just make sure that you ask for Michael as your photographer as there are a few photographers at Infocus.

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm

So I went into Whoop-a-daisy today. The lady was really nice and helpful only problem is this whole blue flower thing, doesnt look like I'll even be able to get fake ones :( We discussed maybe going with a bright pink or purple instead which could work, basically any colour goes well with blue. Shes also arranging flowers for someone else with the same blue as me and they've chosen to do Blue/orange which isnt really my thing but the colours actually looked really nice together. Not sure if they're any cheaper or what coz its basically the first shop I've been too but my actual bouquet will be around $140 which is for a plain white tear drop oriental (i think) lillies.

Also being that my wedding is the day before mothers day looks like I'll have to order my flowers in earlier, which doesnt really matter because I think I'm gonna go with fake anyway. BUT apparently she had someone come in really upset because she went into 2 other florists who pretty much abused her for picking the day before mothers day to get married.... HOW RUDE! 8O I asked her who they were but I dont think she wanted to look bad. It shouldnt matter what day it is anyway as long as you order them in early enough :roll: I didnt even think it would be a problem anyway :?

elle8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Darwinian wrote:
Something I didn't mention previously was that I stayed at the apartments at the Medina (wave pool). The staff were excellent and the rooms were awesome. The rooms were cheaper then other apartments in the city. I paid $270.00 for the Saturday night and $220.00 for the Sunday night. I know it sounds expensive but I felt it was money well spent. To stay at Evolution apartments was going to cost me $470.00 a night.
Transport was one of the issues we had with ImpressionNT along with there inability to return phone calls, emails or even be at their office during work hours. It kinda made for a really stressful time leading up to the wedding and we are still chasing them: ( It's a real pity because they have a lot of good stuff on offer.
My husband organised the wedding cake and that was through Kurts Cakes. I wanted the traditional three tiered cake but the hubby wanted cupcakes so Kurt compromised and created what looked like a cake but was actually square cupcakes close together. VERY IMPRESSIVE. We got to "cut" the cake and best of all our wedding cake had various flavours (some were choc, white choc, plain, baileys).
Michael from Infocus was our photographer and I would highly recommend him. I really wanted “fun” photos and he was super cool at making sure we got a few fun ones. Just make sure that you ask for Michael as your photographer as there are a few photographers at Infocus.

Do you mind me asking how much your cake was?? Just want to get a few ideas so I know whats expensive and whats cheap :lol:

The Medina looks really nice, you would have got great views from there! Most hotels are pretty expensive now anyway, the only reason ours are cheap is coz we've gone with a package

Darwinian

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

We got charged per cake. $3.50 for a standard round cupcake or $4.50 for the square cupcake with the decorative chocolate casing. The top cake which we took home was $55.00 but is optional. $30.00 delivery fee and $100.00 (fully refundable) to hire the cake stand.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36