A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

SleepingAngelsAu
Topic Author

Sleeping Angels Australia

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Ladies,

My name is Amy and recently when cleaning out my closets I found a bag hanging in my cupboard. It was a garment bag and it hadn't been touched in so long there was dust upon it. I unzipped the garment bag and there she was nestled inside, my beautiful wedding dress I wore in 2008.
Unfortunately despite bearing 2 wonderful little girls my marriage didn't last - in fact the 'marriage' itself was shorter then Kim Kardashians! - and its been a really quandry for me as to what I should do with that beautiful, flattering expensive gown now that I am very happily unmarried to the man it was intended to impress. It's very much not her fault and the thought of turning it into a halloween costume or the like was just too gutting so I have been searching for someone to love her as much as I did.
I had been through ebay, blogs, newspaper ads and the like, all in the hope of finding something to do with my beautiful dress that wouldn't feel me leaving foolish or wasteful.
Then I found The Mary Madeline Project This great US based group take donated wedding gowns and turn them into burial gowns for still born babies (Sleeping Angels) which they then donate to hospitals who in turn pass them on to bereaved parents.
This small token, filled with love and happy memories from your special day, helps to ease the grief as it removes one detail which must be so very excruciatingly painful for those poor parents and also reminds them that we, as a community, acknowledge their pain and send our love and support.
Due to their location (US) and an overwhelming response to their cause, the Mary Madeline Project are currently not taking gowns but so inspired and touched by this idea, I have been in contact with them and with great love and pride am setting up an Australian group inspired by this selfless group.
Right now I am looking for anyone and everyone that might be interested in this. If you sew, cut, want to set up your own branch or know a hospital that might be interested, can help with patterns or just want to donate your dress then please contact me here via post or pm and I will be very happy to answer your questions.
Obviously this is a non-profit group getting together to make a difficult day less so.

Thanks for your time,
Amy :heart: :heart: :heart:
Our Facebook page

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: Sleeping Angels Australia

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

What a lovely gesture. I hope the project works out here.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 pm

What a noble & humbling gesture.
Wishing you the very best of luck in your venture :heart:

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 am

that such a beautiful idea that i've got goosebumps. What a wonderful thought. good luck with your venture - I cannot sew but have you thought of contact TAFE sewing schools to see if they are interested?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.42