A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

SarahKurt
Topic Author

Cocktail Reception

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 am

Hi All,
I would just like to ask if anyone is having or has had a cocktail reception. We are getting married in the Gold Coast at the Mantra Sun. Our ceremony will be up at the penthouse and then reception in there restaurant. My fiancé is not in to the hole sit down formal thing so we have decided to have the cocktail reception. Does it matter if we only have beer and wine not actually cocktails? Ceremony would start at 5.15pm followed by photos and wine up there then about 6pm guests would head to reception area and about 7pm platters will come out for around 2 hours with hot and cold selections. In this time we will do first dance, speeches with cake cutting around 9pm. Is there anything else I should include so my guests don’t get board.
Around 80% of our guests are coming from NZ and we will be coming from Adl as we recently moved to work in the mines.
Any information would be a great help. Never thought it would be so hard to plan a wedding with no family.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: Cocktail Reception

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

I had one. No actual 'cocktails' required. It means finger food, and non-seated service.

You seem to have everything covered.

michelle1089

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Oh my goodness I love that hotel and that restaurant!!! my favourite in the whole of australia, its amazing!

Im having a cocktail reception and we are having no alcohol at all! I am having a milkshake and a slushy bar though!! so i dont think cocktails are at all essential! at our reception were having a few games and stuff like that but weddings are usually pretty interesting and go so fast with so much going on! just make sure you have good music, maybe a photo booth? candy bar? things to keep people interested and moving around!

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 pm

We had a cocktail reception just last month. We had ore dinner drinks and nibbles for 45 minutes before we entered, beer wine and soft drink for 6 hours including pre. Dip platters were served during pre drinks and the. 2.5 hours of cocktail food were served. We finished food then had speeches, dances and then opened our Lolly and dessert bar. Everyone had a great time, lots of dancing and having fun.
We had about 40 seats plus 2 long ottomans and 4 cube ottomans for about 85 people and found it was plenty of seating

skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 pm

All but 1 of the cocktail weddings I have been too I left hungry (& I'm not a big eater!). Make sure there are decent sized canapes & that what ever platters arent finished, are left on the side for guests to nibble at during the night. Also make it clear on the invites that guests WONT be getting a 3 course meal, so they can have a large lunch before coming.

Check there is enough seating. One cocktail wedding had a large balcony with chairs outside, but with the rain, the chairs there were all wet. This left the inside with not enough chairs/ottomans/sofas for ALL guests. Not great to have elderly/pregnant guests standing all night!

I dont think I've been to any cocktail weddings that actually had 'cocktails' as an option. Usually just beer, wine, spirits etc.

asmallsan

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Usually a cocktail reception denotes a particular style of service ie: most people seeing "Cocktail reception" on the bottom of an invitation will automatically envisage something along the times of a standing canape function, not literal cocktails.
I think you'll be fine, don't worry about your guests getting bored. If you keep the booze flowing they'll entertain themselves! :lol:

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:15 pm

We had a cocktail reception. Ours differed from many though as it was far from a budget option and I have been assured by everyone no-one was hungry.

We served:

- Cheese, champagne, beer and bottled soft drinks immediately after the ceremony at 4pm
- Antipasto, stuffed mushrooms and beer, wine and cocktails on arrival at 5pm

From 6pm we served 6 hot and 6 cold canapes for a two hour period, we had cocktails and a sangria and punch station as well as beer and wine throughout this time through to midnight.

At 10pm we served trays of pies, pasties, sausage rolls and filo pastries.

As with any event you need to be aware of your guests comfort and needs. We had a beautifully lounged venue with lots of seating options and a photobooth for entertainment.

RitaJane

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

I think you are making the right decision not having cocktails. Free drinks which are very strong in alcohol content and taste like lolly water = very drunk guests. Beer and wine is a better option in my opinion. If you wanted to serve any cocktails, I wouldn't have more than 1 per guest as it is common for one cocktail to have >2 standard drinks.

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:52 pm

We are having a cocktail wedding but we are not actually serving cocktail drinks. We will be serving 3 choices of beer, sparking wine, 1 choice of white wine and 2 choices of red wine

No one will expect cocktails at your wedding.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.18