A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

aug b2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Any thoughts on NOT having favours?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

We aren't doing favors either. Like you, we would rather spend money elsewhere other than on something that our guests are likely to throw away or shove in the back of the cupboard.
When my friend got married she had recently lost her Dad to cancer so instead of buying favors she made a donation to a cancer charity. I thought that was a fantastic idea.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm

We didn't have favours. Noone missed them.

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 pm

We didn't have favours and no one minded.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 pm

I don't think we will be having any either, at this rate our budget will be fairly small and I would rather have that money to spend on something else. At most we will probably have a lolly buffet or similar.

darkphoenix
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't think it's a huge thing. Honestly, unless it's chocolate or something I can eat it usually just ends up being a dust collector that I'd feel bad about throwing out. I've been to a couple of weddings where there wasn't any and to be honest I couldn't have cared less, I was there to see the couple get married and have a good time not worry about what goody I was going to get to take home.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 pm

darkphoenix wrote:
I was there to see the couple get married and have a good time not worry about what goody I was going to get to take home.

Totally agree with this darkphoenix! Most guests are just happy to be able to celebrate your day with you, your way.

I was recently at a wedding where there were no favours, and I never even realised until the following day.

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 pm

we are doing a lolly buffet but not favours,

Laura&Finn

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:56 am

I have to agree with the other ladies, unless it's something edible or a stubby holder I think it's a waste. We're having a small jar of honey that came from the bees on our farm and that fbil is collecting, but otherwise we wouldn't bother

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 am

I dont go to a wedding for the reception favours. think its a waste of the bride and grooms money personally and will often request not to have one if I am a guest.

I never really understood why it was important to give the guests a present, everyone is there to celebrate your day and shouldnt expect to receive anything.

my sister married an italian and its is one of their customs to give sugar almonds to the guests, think thats where someone got the idea of favours and ran with it.
:D

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am

I don't think anyone would mind at all if you didn't have favours. Especially if your budget is tight, I think the money would best be spend on something you and yours guests could enjoy.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:39 am

We didn't have favours either and I haven't heard complaints. People who really wanted keepsakes took home our table centerpieces (shotglasses with fake mini roses - bit of a relief as I would have no use for them otherwise) and leftover cake (at least two groups I knew of went around the tables to sneak leftover cake into paper napkins to take home... :lol:)

krittyb

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am

We have a tight budget too!

We've cut out so many things that we think are a waste of money!

No bouquet toss and garter, no seat covers, no wedding favours, no presents for the parents (really? we pay to have people there then have to give them presents?), thank you gifts to the bridal party are their cufflinks and jewellery.

The list goes on and on, but we still feel like it's going to be a wonderful day for us and everyone else!

It all comes down to personal preference and if you don't want to do it then don't, no one will judge you. No one will notice because they will be having such an amazing time :)

lrh
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am

I don't think we are going to end up doing them. We are getting married in Israel and so many of our guests will have flown from overseas, I doubt they want to lug some random trinket back. We will be getting kippot (Jewish head coverings) for the men so I may just order a bunch of cheap pashminas for the evening part for women to take. Maybe if we go more middle eastern looking with the decor I might get some little ornaments from the Israeli souks to put on the napkins but that would be to complement decor more than anything...

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

my son and his wife didnt have favours, no one noticed, we were all having to much fun and watching how happy and relaxed the bridal couple were

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 pm

We are having a candy bar as our favor - but only becuase we LOVE the idea of it.

I dont agree with favours and tbh i have never even taken mine home :( Personally I wouldnt bother with favours if they arent important to you

ForeverBree

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't understand why people go all out on favours, weddings are expensive enough without giving each guest a gift that's going to end up gathering dust or in the bin.

I think as long as you take care of the guests in terms of food and entertainment that is sufficient. Almonds or a lolly buffet for dessert I understand but I wouldn't worry about going all out on favours as well. Guests won't mind and to be honest it's not even noticeable.....they'll be too busy celebrating your happiness then worrying about getting a silly gift :)

marg3106

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 pm

When I think about weddings I've been to, I can't remember the favours to be honest. I really think it is a detail - if it is important to you then go for it-but my impression is that most people will hardly notice if they aren't there.

KezMick

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:21 am

We are having favours but only because I am making my own truffle like chocolates. I'm planning on giving each guest two or three truffles in some sort of packaging (not sure what but won't be that expensive) I feel that if the favour is something personal the guests will appreciate it more than some sort of trinket that people will just take home and put on a shelf. I'm also thinking of using the favours as name tags for the tables

Olive182

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm

My partner and I are having favours - personalised M&M's - because I saw them in a magazine and fell in love with the idea. If I hadn't seen these I'm not sure if we would have.

I agree with the other posters, I don't think people will mind, or perhaps even notice if you don't have favours. If I were attending a wedding I'd much prefer to have good music and food than have something to take home as a reminder of the day. I have an invitation, memories, and for when that fades - photographs - to remember the day by. :P

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm

We had them, but we got married 5.5 years ago when it was a big deal

But if I go to weddings these days and they aren't provided, I don't even notice to be honest with you! I am more interested in the meal and wine to worry about favours
GZIP: On | Load: 0.44