A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Strawberries
Topic Author

Outdoorsy venues for 350 guests - SYD

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 am

Hi all!
I'm Sharara from Sydney and am getting married next year - woot! I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from you guys about outdoorsy/natural setting venues such as golf clubs/green hillsy places/places near water (I really like golf clubs/country clubs but none of the ones I've looked at hold that many guests) that can hold that many guests - the places that hold that many guests all seem to be indoor function centres which is something that really doesn't appeal to my fiance and I. Unfortunately I can't cut down on guest numbers because I have an ethnic mother who feels the need to invite everyone whose wedding she's ever been to.

The other big issue is budget, we're on a very tight budget and at 350 guests we really can't afford to be paying more than $50 per head. What works to our advantage is that we will not be having any alcohol at the wedding which brings down prices a fair bit (though we still require soft drinks/water/juice). We also don't mind having a buffet menu which usually brings the cost down a little aswell. The other (and most preferable) option is if we found a venue that allows self catering and only charges venue hire, because we know some very cheap caterers.

So - my mission is to find a nice yet cheap outdoorsy place that will hold that many guests (I *might* be able to talk my mum into bringing the guest numbers down a little bit but even if she agreed I reckon it would be 50 people max). I know it seems like an impossible fantasy - I've been searching for hours and hours on the net and can't seem to find anything suitable so I decided to sign up here and see if maybe just maybe I can find something. Here's hoping.

a.celebrant

Re: Outdoorsy venues for 350 guests - SYD

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm

You could have a look at Muirfireld Golf Course in North Rocks. I officiated at a wedding there and the staff were very helpful. We had the reception there and it seemed to me that the dining room could be expanded. My memory could be a bit vague, but they might be worth a call.
All the best. :D

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Mount Annan Botanical Gardens is lovely - you can have it under a marquee on the lawns near a lake.

The weather might be a PITA being outside, but its worth a shot.

Strawberries
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Thank you for the suggestions guys! Sorry for the late reply, I thought I'd get email notifications if I got replies to my thread. Anyway, a.celebrant -, I contacted Muirfield Golf Club and unfortunately their maximum seating capacity is 150. Very pretty place though! Cloudie - I will try ringing them to inquire but my guess is that it will be too expensive. Thanks again for the suggestions and if anyone else has any more suggestions please let me know!!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.13