A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Sariele

Re: What you actually spent...

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm blown away by how much people can afford to spend on their wedding... and here I am having palpitations over the possibility of spending anything over $6000. Seriously, how the heck can you guys manage to pay for the expensive weddings? I wish I was in that position. Although I probably would still keep it under $10000 personally, just cause we've got far too many other things we need the money for.

fallenangel

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Sariele wrote:
I'm blown away by how much people can afford to spend on their wedding... and here I am having palpitations over the possibility of spending anything over $6000. Seriously, how the heck can you guys manage to pay for the expensive weddings? I wish I was in that position. Although I probably would still keep it under $10000 personally, just cause we've got far too many other things we need the money for.

Yes I agree. We have a long list of things to spend our money on! DH and I love cars and would love to get another one, then there's the ducted air con, the trip to Russia, house renovations etc....
We spent well under $5000 on our wedding and it was perfect! It can be done...besided who wants to spend all that money on familyand friends when it's about your love for each other!

But of course if a big wedding is important to you both then go for it! We felt the true meaning of the day would get lost if we went too overboard so we kept it intimate and personal. Course I put a hell of a lot of time and energy into it to save money and nearly died (don't juggle a full time business, part-time uni, a family and a wedding).

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 pm

fallenangel wrote:
Sariele wrote:

Yes I agree. We have a long list of things to spend our money on! DH and I love cars and would love to get another one, then there's the ducted air con, the trip to Russia, house renovations etc....
We spent well under $5000 on our wedding and it was perfect! It can be done...besided who wants to spend all that money on familyand friends when it's about your love for each other!

But of course if a big wedding is important to you both then go for it! We felt the true meaning of the day would get lost if we went too overboard so we kept it intimate and personal. Course I put a hell of a lot of time and energy into it to save money and nearly died (don't juggle a full time business, part-time uni, a family and a wedding).

Some people are in the lucky position to have family contribute. Others save up for a long period of time. I know for FH and myself, we both earn a decent wage and we can afford to save a lot of money to pay for our wedding.

We're not having a big wedding, but we know we want a nice night. And costs keep adding up. We're only spending $10000 (not including what we're being given by our parents).

I don't think it's exactly fair to be so harsh on what people choose to spend. Sometimes I think "OMG, I can't believe how much we are spending on one day" but at the same time, I'm only doing this once. It's the only time I will wear an expensive gown, be in a gorgeous vintage car, the only time I will be the centre of attention in a fancy room, and one of the only time I will be a real princess. And the only time I will share that with my family and friends. Who are an important part of mine and FH's life.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:23 pm

cloudie wrote:
fallenangel wrote:
Sariele wrote:

Some people are in the lucky position to have family contribute. Others save up for a long period of time. I know for FH and myself, we both earn a decent wage and we can afford to save a lot of money to pay for our wedding.

We're not having a big wedding, but we know we want a nice night. And costs keep adding up. We're only spending $10000 (not including what we're being given by our parents).

I don't think it's exactly fair to be so harsh on what people choose to spend. Sometimes I think "OMG, I can't believe how much we are spending on one day" but at the same time, I'm only doing this once. It's the only time I will wear an expensive gown, be in a gorgeous vintage car, the only time I will be the centre of attention in a fancy room, and one of the only time I will be a real princess. And the only time I will share that with my family and friends. Who are an important part of mine and FH's life.

This.

We can afford a big day because we are both fortunate enough to have decent paying jobs. We don't have any debts at this stage and we are disciplined about saving for the day.

OandC2011
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Well here goes;

Engagement Ring (DH paid for) $3,500
Wedding Ring (Mine) $1580
Wedding Ring (DH) $830

Venue Ceremony & Reception - $1,000
Catering (Platters between Ceremony & Reception then Afternoon Tea for Reception) $1,500 (My parents paid for)
Alcohol - $1,000 (My parents paid for)
Chair Hire (For Ceremony) - (19) $150.00
Favors - (T2 Tea) $150.00
Decorations - $150.00
Wishing Well/Etc $100.00
Hire Car (Audi A6) $220.00
Accom - (Holiday Rental Home for 4 nights) $480.00 (Cousin got it cheaper for me)

Wedding Dress - $2195 (Mother paid $500 towards it) $1695
Shoes - $90.00
Fascinator - $20 (From Diva then Milliners netting from Spotlight that my Mum made for me)
Jewellery - $30.00 (Earrings & Necklace from Diva)
Clutch - $25.00 (On Sale @ Myer)
Bridesmaid Dresses - $450 (I paid for both girls)
BM Jewellery - $30.00 (From Diva)
BM Shoes - $85.00 (From Payless)
Clutches for BM's $40.00
Grooms Suit - $220.00 Hire
GM Suits - $440.00 Hire
All the guys wore their own dress shoes they already owned
Hair $265.00 (I paid for x2 BMS, Myself & Mum)
Make Up $180.00 ( x2 BMS, Myself & Mum)
Make Up Trial - $45.00
Nails - $20.00 (Bought a Manicure french polish set on sale after Christmas & did my own)

Celebrant - $0 (Family Friend)
Photographer $0 (Family Friend)
Invitations - $150 (Including postage)
Thank you cards - $10.00 (30 Bargain from Officeworks) Bargain.. they are photo ones.. (postage will be $18.00)

Honeymoon - (Very short!! but were low on funds at this stage)

Flights to Melbourne $48 each way therefore $192.00
Accomodation in Melbourne @ Crown Metropol $295 P/N $885.00
Meals out etc $500.00
Spending Money $1,000

Therefore total spend for our wedding $17,500
With us paying $14,500

Our original budget was $5,000 however that soon crept to $10,000 then all the rest however I felt we paid everything off by paying a portion of each item per pay

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:36 pm

L.I.W wrote:
We can afford a big day because we are both fortunate enough to have decent paying jobs. We don't have any debts at this stage and we are disciplined about saving for the day.

Agreed. We both have well paying jobs. We've also been together for nearly 7 years and have been saving for the wedding for the last 2 years. We do have a mortgage but DH works his backside off so we can have the life we want with no debt. We are super diligent with our money and we own everything, bar the house, outright so we have no debts.

My parents did pitch in $10k for the day and we covered the rest as we were in a position to splurge a bit, although it was still only a small wedding with 50 guests attending.

I don't believe anyone should judge anybody else on what they spend on their wedding day. Your taste, wants, desires and incomes are different to everyone elses, so budgets and expenditure will always vary.

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm

kachward wrote:
L.I.W wrote:

Agreed. We both have well paying jobs. We've also been together for nearly 7 years and have been saving for the wedding for the last 2 years. We do have a mortgage but DH works his backside off so we can have the life we want with no debt. We are super diligent with our money and we own everything, bar the house, outright so we have no debts.

My parents did pitch in $10k for the day and we covered the rest as we were in a position to splurge a bit, although it was still only a small wedding with 50 guests attending.

I don't believe anyone should judge anybody else on what they spend on their wedding day. Your taste, wants, desires and incomes are different to everyone elses, so budgets and expenditure will always vary.

:e_clap: :e_clap: :e_clap: :tick:

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Allicat9 wrote:
I just want to note quickly that the purpose of this topic is to help brides with their budgeting, please refrain from making it into a discussion about how much you should or shouldn't spend. There are people from all walks of life on this forum, so please, no judgements on the amounts spent or budgeted.

I'm just going to quote myself to remind everyone to stay on topic please :)

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 am

updating:

Venue - $450 (it is at a club we are members of and therefore we got it cheap)
Dress - $600 (it was off the rack but end of the line and the last one left)
Shoes - $10 (kmart special)
Flowers - $450 (ebay - Just Paradise)
ceremony music - free (a wedding gift from a talented friend)
reception music - ipod
cake - $450
celebrant - $500
photographer - $2200 (full day coverage, canvas prints, photobook - 2 photographers)
invitations - cost of materials (a wedding gift from another friend)

honeymoon - $4500 (ten day fly drive of tasmania, including tours and pre-booked touristy stuff)

Bride2binTas
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:43 am

heartstringz wrote:
updating:

Venue - $450 (it is at a club we are members of and therefore we got it cheap)
Dress - $600 (it was off the rack but end of the line and the last one left)
Shoes - $10 (kmart special)
Flowers - $450 (ebay - Just Paradise)
ceremony music - free (a wedding gift from a talented friend)
reception music - ipod
cake - $450
celebrant - $500
photographer - $2200 (full day coverage, canvas prints, photobook - 2 photographers)
invitations - cost of materials (a wedding gift from another friend)

honeymoon - $4500 (ten day fly drive of tasmania, including tours and pre-booked touristy stuff)

Yah u came to Tas, Such a lovely place isnt it?...

missabhv312

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 am

Omg thank goodness I didn't stop reading past the first few pages...

I'm marrying a budget freak- (not an accountant but should have been) so although the wedding is not for ages- we're pretty much booked and paid for- and everything is itemized!!

I am astounded at how people have done weddings under 20. Amazed in fact- as every reception venue I looked at (most of those existing in Sydney) had packages that started at $120 pp. That's 12000 if you're doing average of 100 guests- and that's just the reception basics!!!

I truly thought I had been a maniacal bargain hunter- sourcing online stationary etc and doing myself etc- but our total is pushing 36... Without the honeymoon! Again thankgod I read past the 10-14's and saw the 50+'s because I really thought we were doing it on the cheap- apparenty not!

Cudos my -20 amigos! Hats off to you!! Now- let's not let fh see this thread or I'm done for....

PTJane

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 am

missabhv312 wrote:
I am astounded at how people have done weddings under 20. Amazed in fact- as every reception venue I looked at (most of those existing in Sydney) had packages that started at $120 pp. That's 12000 if you're doing average of 100 guests- and that's just the reception basics!!!

I agree! I'm cringing at the thought of when everything is added up 8O

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Mon May 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Apparel & Appearance - Bride and Groom
Bridal Gown: $6500
Bra/Corsette/underthings: $0 - no bra, and i wore undies i already had
Hoop: $0 - didn't need one
Headpiece/headband: $380
Shoes: $1490
Jewellery: $36
Garter: $0 - didn't have one

Suit: $500
Waistcoat: $70
Shirt: $100
Groom's Shoes: $140
Cufflinks: $30
Tie: $0 - the suit shop gave them to us for nothing!

Apparel & Appearance - attendants

BM dresses: $500 (for two - ordered from HOB)
Shoes: $0 - they paid for their own
Jewellery: $100 for both girls, earrings, bracelet and hair clip from Diva
FG tutus: $75 for two from PrincessDoodleBean on etsy
FG hair clips/head bands: about $45 for both girls from Rosebudlips on etsy
FG singlets: $0 - a friend bought them and made a brooch for them
FG shoes: $0 - their mum bought them
FG cardigans: $40 for both, pumpkin patch sale

Groomsman Suit: $500
Shirt: $100
Tie: $0 - got them free from suit shop
Shoes: $0 - wore his own
Cufflinks: $30

Hair: $450 - 3 girls on the day + trial for me
Makeup: $370 - 3 girls on the day plus trial
Makeup trials: $110 on two previous makeup trials
Nails: $100 for manicure and pedicure
Waxing: $30

Gifts
BM gifts: $95 (clutch for both, plus compact mirror - also gave jewellery as a gift)
FG gifts: $45 (books and "little people" wedding dolls, plus their headband/clips)
Thank you gifts for friends who played at the ceremony - $90

Flowers

$3190 - brides bouquet, 2BM bouquet, 2 FG bouquet, 3 buttonholes, 2 big arrangements for the ceremony, 3 vases of flowers on each table (6 tables), hanging tealights from ceiling in restaurant

Entertainment
DJ: $1350

Photography
$10,350 - photography by Samm Blake, package including 10 hours coverage, album, pre wedding shoot, dvd slideshow, digital negatives of both wedding and pre wedding shoot (including travel fee for down south)

Reception
$9000 - 3 course meal (choices for each course) plus one hour of canapes for 50 guests, with premium wine and beer
Chair Hire: $896 for tiffany chairs

Cake
$910 - the best wedding cake i've ever eaten, and looked beautiful - worth every cent!

Stationery/Printing
Bonboniere: $362 - calisson shipped from france, in glassine bags with vista print stickers
Invitations - about $200 for 50 pocketfolds plus inserts from Cards and Pockets
OOS/Menu/Seating Chart/Table settings?placecards/guestbook etc - about $250
personalised napkins - about $20 from pink frosting (after getting a voucher on cudo!)

Transport
Cars: $645 - old bentley
Guest bus: $785

Ceremony
Celebrant - $550
Ceremony venue hire: $0 - FREE with reception package.
Ceremony music: $0 - friends played for us
Bride Wedding Band: $1650
Groom Wedding Band: $900

TOTAL WEDDING $42,088

Minimoon/accommodation
Pre wedding accommodation - 3 nights at a private house: $1200
post wedding Accomodation: $1100
Spending Money: $500

TOTAL HONEYMOON $2,800

TOTAL: $44,888

shellfisch
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm

*updated*

Bridal Gown: $1650 - plus alterations
Bra/Corsette/underthings: $0
Hoop: $0 - hire for free
Shoes: $70
Jewellery: $tba
Garter: $0 - freebie
Hair: $190 - x4 girls
Makeup: $230 x4 girls
Nails: $60 for manicure and pedicure
BM gifts: $100 (kmart dressing gowns embroidered)
GM gifts: $tba
Groom suit & shirt/tie: $290 + $90

Flowers: $436 - real touch flowers inc buttonholes, throwaway PLUS pearl clusters

Entertainment
DJ: $0 friend
Lighting: $100

Photography: $2600 inc engagement shoot, all photos processed and on disc. Getting ready til start of reception

Reception
$550 - hire & kitchen use
$1478 - caterer
$750 decorations of ceremony & reception
$260 Cake
$1300 bar tab (may add on the night)
$100 bonbonierres (tba)

Stationery/Printing $50
Transport Cars: $0 - gift

Ceremony
Celebrant - $550
Ceremony venue hire: $inc above
Wedding Bands: $2100

Our budget is $16k and thats for 68 people. **updated, we now have 75 people but the wedding estimate is now $14000 - not including honeymoon**
Last edited by shellfisch on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scootie

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 pm

argh this thread makes me feel sick lol.

i dont ever want to know how much the day cost - i dont think i ever want to look back and think hmm if i just had that $30k back...

sweeti3
Mrs Bailey
Mrs Bailey

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Haha I'm starting to feel the same.

I'll post my full break down after wedding...argh less than 3 week to go. It's up around $26k though.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 pm

kachward wrote:
L.I.W wrote:

This is basically the same for us, and very well said Kachward!!! I've never actually looked at everything broken down as to how much went to what though.

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Im up to 30k not including so many things... our honeymoon is 6k so far but we are yet to pay for half the accom... 8O

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I would love to say our wedding is going to be under 20K but.... prob more like 30k. I am really trying to stick within a budget. I think it's such an important day though and really the day that you will look back on and relive over and over when you have crappy days so I'm happy to spend.
our main cost is our reception venue. about $14,000

I can't believe this, but last year (before we were engaged) fh and I both got our tax returns back and they were around $5000 each (we had been living overseas so only worked half the year) and I said to him "We could totally get married just by using our tax returns!" um... actually, really not!

sandy_1902
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 pm

ours in still under 5 grand so far =]
GZIP: On