A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

littlemiss123
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

tried and true cupcake recipes?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi, has anyone got a really tasty cupcake recipe?

I've decided to switch to making a cupcake tier with a single layer cake on top and need to try out some different cupcake recipes to see which ones are the tastiest - preferably ones people have actually tasted not just off google :D

inspiration
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: tried and true cupcake recipes?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:29 pm

You are talking my first language :-) Cupcakes. Yum
These are scrummy!!

Banana Crumb Muffins
The crumb topping is what makes these banana muffins stand apart from the ordinary. They're scrumptious!
Recipe by: Lisa Kreft http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/4683/ba ... ffins.aspx

Serves: 10 Yield: 10 muffins
Ready in: 35 mins (15 mins Prep - 20 mins Cook)
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
90g butter, melted

Crumb topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
20g butter
Preparation method
1. Preheat oven to 190 C. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
4. For the crumb topping: In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a fine skewer inserted into centre of a muffin comes out clean.

inspiration
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Another one :-)

Lazy persons' Black Forest Cupcakes
Inspired by Nigella's Chocolate-Cherry Cupcakes

12 bun muffin tin

Cupcakes:
125g soft butter
100g dark chocolate, broken
300g bottled sour cherries (mine came from Slovenia and cost all of $3!)
pinch salt
2 large eggs, beaten
150g self-raising flour

Icing:
100g dark chocolate
100ml double cream
few spoonfuls cherry juice
whipped cream
12 cherries to top

Preheat oven to 180c/gas mark 4
Put the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan on the heat to melt. When nearly completely melted, stir in the chocolate. Leave for a moment to begin softening, then take the pan off the heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and chocolate are smooth and melted. Puree the cherries and juice in a food processor, or similar, until roughly chopped. Now add the cherries, sguar, salt and eggs. Stir with a wooden spoon and when is all pretty well amalgamted stir in the flour.
Scrape and pour into the muffin papers in the their tin and bake for 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
When the cupcakes are cook, break the chocolate for the icing into little pieces and add them to the cream in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat, let cool, and then whisk - electronically is much better - until thick and smooth. Ice the cupcakes, top with a dollop of whipped cream and stand a cherry in the centre of each.
Makes 12.

inspiration
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 pm

This is also yummy

Vanilla Cupcakes

Kids will love helping make these for parties.
Try serving them with jam as a sweet-cake dessert, or crumbled over canned peach slices as a way to incorporate fruit into a kid's dessert.

Serving: 24
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

2 softened sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frost with Traditional Vanilla Buttercream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, cream the butter on medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar gradually, and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. Combine the flours, and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla, beating well after each addition.

4. Scoop the batter into two 12-cup muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.

5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool thoroughly before icing. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Based on individual serving.

Calories: 200
Total Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 3 g

soon2b-sarahz

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:16 pm

These were fabulous!! I made them for my 30th last year and substituted kahlua instead of the rum (and i think i put a little extra in!). i made mini ones (in those smaller muffin tins) so we had heaps, then we decorated them with choc ganache and pink coloured white choc ganache with edible glitter, and all kinds of different pink toppings (crushed m&m's, musk thingies, sprinkles, etc) sooooooo good! I also made some little pink meringues to place on the plates with them . . . everyone commented on their deliciousness!!

:heart:

Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cups plain flour
* 1 cup caster sugar
* 1/2 cup good-quality cocoa powder
* 3/4 tsp baking powder
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tbs rum
* 200g dark chocolate
* 1 cup cream
* Gold leaf*, to decorate

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C and place the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl. Add 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine.
2. Place buttermilk, egg, oil, vanilla and rum in a separate jug then mix into the dry ingredients. Beat well to combine.
3. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cases and divide mixture between them. Bake for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, place chocolate and cream in a bowl over simmering water until chocolate melts. Set aside to cool slightly. Use an electric beater to beat until smooth. Spread over cupcakes and top with gold leaf.

kimberlina81
I survived and got married

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 pm

When I finish my final changes to my own recipe, I'll give you my "mud cake" recipe. Any recipe can be poured into cupcakes... they are just little cakes.
This one is almost perfect but a bit more fluffy/cakey (rather than muddy) than FH would like
http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/ ... ecipe.html

I am changing the quantities a little and using some cream instead of some of the water.

What flavour did you want? There are just so many out there.

Here is a recipe for MMF (marshmallow fondant). I have used this as a trial (it was for cookies, but I did test it on a muffin as well!) and it is FANTASTIC. I was so impressed. I would definitely recommend using it for cupcakes as it sets to a lovely professional looking finish. You could use a cutter to get the round shape to put on top of the cupcake.
http://shawntheparsonswife.blogspot.com ... g-for.html

I have the Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Book too if you would like me to look up one of her recipes.

There is a lot of inspiration on that website:
http://www.crabapplecupcakesupplies.com ... cakes.html

MrsorMs

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:36 pm

I purchased a ready mixed white mud cake powder from Merryday Cake Supplies in Melbourne. I think they do mail order or may be able to let you know somewhere local to you that you can get some.

http://www.merryday.com.au/

I made the cakes two weeks in advance and froze them.
I iced them with "Rich N Smooth" a buttercream type of mixture two days before the wedding then kept them in a cool room - not refrigerated. They were still delicious and moist a week later.

janetburgman
JB
JB

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:12 am

Be sure to post some pictures once completed. I cant wait to see it!

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 am

Kimberlina, don't use cream. Mudcake gets it's texture & density from the ingredients as stated.

jodbry

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:57 am

I make cupcakes alot with my kid and for friends kids parties etc.

I think i have perfected(almost) a basic vanilla cupcake with a really light fluffy texture that can then be th base for almost any flavour.

This recipe makes around 24 cakes.
Preheat oven to 140c and put a shelf just under midway.

1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1/2 cup of plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
150g butter at room temp
3 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
2 tsp vanilla

All ingredients can be placed in a bowl together, then mix with an electric mixer for around 3-5 mins until smooth and pale. Bake for around 20-30mins or until a skewer comes out clean.

These are beautiful baked in silver patty pans with white frosting and silver cachous. :D

cassrae
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:12 pm

jodbry wrote:
I make cupcakes alot with my kid and for friends kids parties etc.

I think i have perfected(almost) a basic vanilla cupcake with a really light fluffy texture that can then be th base for almost any flavour.

This recipe makes around 24 cakes.
Preheat oven to 140c and put a shelf just under midway.

1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1/2 cup of plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
150g butter at room temp
3 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
2 tsp vanilla

All ingredients can be placed in a bowl together, then mix with an electric mixer for around 3-5 mins until smooth and pale. Bake for around 20-30mins or until a skewer comes out clean.

These are beautiful baked in silver patty pans with white frosting and silver cachous. :D

Oooh they sound simply yummy! I :heart: vanilla cupcakes the best!

I use the plain old Women's Weekly basic butter cake recipe for my cupcakes and everyone loves them. They can be used with a buttercream icing or a harder icing.

125g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla essence
165g caster sugar
2 eggs
225g SR flour (hint:use high quality flour)
125ml milk

Preheat oven to moderate. Grease & line pans. Beat butter, essence & sugar with electric mixer until light & fluffy. Beat in eggs until combined. Stir in flour & milk. Spread into pans & bake until cooked (about 10-15 mins with cupcakes).

jodbry

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm

The recipe i posted can be used as a base for lots of flavours.

Add some lemon juice and zest. Then ice with a lemon icing.

Carrot, walnuts and cinnamon with a orange cream cheese frosting for mini carrot cupcakes.

Cocoa and choc chips with a choc ganache frosting.

Try royal icing

1 egg white
2-3 cups of icing sugar.

Beat together until thick smooth and glossy. If not thick enough add more icing sugar. Needs to be able to hold its shape. Pipe on to cupcakes and leave to set. This icing is great as it wont melt on a hot day!

kimberlina81

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Ok I made these last night and everyone raved about them today

Caramel Mud Cupcakes
250g unsalted butter, pre-softened (microwave a bit)
250g white eating chocolate, broken up
1 cup dark brown sugar
1¼ C (495g) firmly packed brown sugar
1½ C (375ml) water
2 1/3 C (300g) plain flour
1/3 C (100g) self-raising flour
1 tspn vanilla extract
3 eggs, beaten lightly

1. Preheat oven to slow (150°C/130°C fan-forced).
2. Stir butter, chocolate, and sugar, in medium saucepan over low heat until mixture is smooth (and has obviously caramalised). Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 15minutes. Whisk in sifted flours, then extract, water and eggs.
3. Pour mixture into pan.

This is my recipe as it is a combo of two and I failed the follow the recipe but it worked really well!

I can't tell you how long for because the oven turned off half way through cooking (gas ran out) but at a guess, 1/2 hour?... They are done when a skewer comes out just clean (no more).

Without Wings

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 cup pure cream
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon

Lemon curd
1/2 cup lemon juice
100g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
3 egg yolks

Meringue
3 egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180'C. Place 12 patty cake liners in a 12 hole 1/2-cup capacity muffin pan.

2. Place cream, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually add flour and zest and continue whisking until mixture is thick and smooth.

3. Divide mixture between prepared liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cakes spring back to touch. Cool in muffin pan.

4. For lemon curd, heat lemon juice and butter in a small saucepan and simmer until butter has melted. Add sugar, egg and yolks and cook, whisking continuously until mixture becomes thick and glossy. Pour into a shallow oven tray to cool.

5. For meringue, beat egg whites in an electric mixer until firm peaks form, gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar has dissolved between each addition. Spoon meringue mixture into a piping bag.

6. To serve, preheat grill to medium-high. Cut a small hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon curd. Pipe a swirl of meringue mixture on the top of each cupcake and place under heated grill for 60-90 seconds or until golden. Arrange on a serving plate with spoonfuls of lemon curd if desired.

Original Recipe from: http://www.masterchef.com.au/lemon-meri ... -cakes.htm
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15