A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Easy vegetarian meals

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Hey everyone
Ive recently become vegetarian- about 4 months ago. Also being a fusssy and unadventurous eater made it hard at first, but ive found my feet now and know what i like and dont like etc.
So im wondering if anyone out there knows some easy vegetarian meals?

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Easy vegetarian meals

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm a vegetarian and know lots of meals. But calling yourself "fussy and unadventurous" is a bit tricky - can you give us an idea of what you like/don't like? I don't want to suggest a whole bunch of things you can't eat :)

EllieGoulet
Lady Eloise
Lady Eloise

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 pm

I too am vegetarian, so can help you out if you define what you do / don't like :)

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

well i dont like eggplant, not fussed on zuccini- just like basic vegies and fruit.
i do eat beans (like the canned 4 bean mix, kidney etc), chick peas, lentils
i dont like tofu (tho i only tried when i first started and dont think i was ready for it, maybe i need to try it again and see how it goes?)
i like spicyish food, nothing too hot tho. im not fussed on chinese/indian/thai etc

thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!!

EllieGoulet
Lady Eloise
Lady Eloise

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 pm

This is a fantastic website - http://veganyumyum.com/. Great photography, and lots of inspiration!

I find with tofu that the organic stuff is better (you can get Blue Lotus in most supermarkets). Gently pan fry it in a tiny bit of vegetable oil, then once it's starting to go golden, pour a glaze of tamari (or soy sauce) and mirin (about 2 tablespoons of each)...absolutely delicious, and great in stir fry.

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi there, I am veggie too :)

If not thai/indian, what kind of spicy food do you like?? Will help me post recipes for you. I have loads!

Easy, quick vegie frittata (I know you said not keen on zuchini, but you won't really taste it...)

-1 onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 zuchini or 2 tiny ones, grated
-1 carrot, grated
-1 red capsicum, diced
-herbs if you like (parsley is good)
-vegie boullion (or vegie stock cube, but boullion is nicer)
-6 eggs
-a few cherry toms

*fry the onion in a little oil til tender, then add garlic for a few mins. Set aside
*place vegies into mixing bowl with onion mix, stir through
*stir through a little bit of vegie stock/boullion (adds to the flavour - otherwise season with salt n pepper)
*add eggs
*pour into rectangular baking dish, lined with baking paper or oiled well
*top with a few cherry tom halves and bake for about 30-40 mins in mod oven

Delish! This is a variation of zuchini slice, without the cheese, bacon & flour. So it is dairy, gluten and meat free. :)

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks for the link EllieGoulet, it looks preety good. I'll have to have a more thorough look through it.

Green Monster, thanks for the recipe. Im not fussed on zuccini, but i'll give them another go :)

i like mexicani type spicey food- so salsas and chilli.
Thanks again :) !!

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 am

OK, cool. I have a recipe for home made taco mix (the packet mix has aluminium in it...) and taco sauce that we make. We used to use TVP (textured vegetable protein) and just make it with packet mix and noone could tell the difference.

Will bbl with recipe.

I know, I know - you don't like zuchini! But... if you slice a whole one into about 1cm and fry in a little oil then top with pesto it is delish! Now that is an easy meal!

:)

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 am

I'm not vego but eat a lot of vege food cause it's healthy & tastes nice!

My suggestions:
Vege stacks (roast veg - capsicum, sweet potato, mushrooms etc) with a little bit of goats cheese (can also put pesto & a bit of balsamic) - I roast my own veg
Tofu - Try the pre-marinated type if your new to it. I find the soy flavoured one good in stir frys etc...
Vege soups - potato & leek, pumpkin, mixed veg etc...
spinach & feta/ricotta parcels - I just use the frozen spinach mixed with fresh ricotta (from the deli) & a little bit of feta for extra flavour, then wrap in filo pastry
My mum also does filo rolls with lentils & a curry type of flavour

Hope that helps.

Darens Girl

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 am

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:46 pm

My DH is vegetarian. We have a few meals that are super quick for the days that neither of us have the energy to cook.

Lentil and vege curry:
Jar/packet or you favourite curry sauce (we use korma as I don't like hot food)
tin of brown lentils
whatever veges you like/need to use up - if they're frozen you don't need to precook, if fresh I usually microwave them until tender

Put curry sauce in pan and fry off to remove raw taste. Add lentils and veges and simmer for 5-10 mins. Serve with rice and/or roti and a dollop of natural yogurt.

Baked potatoes:
Bake or microwave whole potatoes until tender (if we're in a hurry we microwave first then put in the oven for a while to crisp the skins)
Cut open and top with butter, grated cheese and coleslaw (now that I'm pregnant we have replaced the coleslaw with bought pasta sauce which is yummy too)

Things which take a bit longer but are still easy

Vege quiche:
Use your favourite recipe just leave out the bacon (if there is any included) and put in whatever veges you like. We like corn, spinach, broccolini, capsicum, mushrooms, onions. For veges with a high water content it seems to work better to saute them first so the quiche isn't too watery. Spinach I tend to just add raw but it could also be blanched and squeezed out if it was too wet.

Chickpea casserole:
2 tins tomatoes (or use fresh of you prefer)
1 tub tomato paste
Slurp of olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tin of chickpeas, drained
salt, pepper, brown sugar to taste

Fry onions in oil until soft. Add garlic and fry briefly. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Allow to bubble for a few minutes. Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste (the sugar reduces the acidity of the tomatoes). Add chickpeas. Simmer, uncovered until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice. You could also use 4 bean mix or red kidney beans for this.

Chickpea wraps:
Roti or flat bread 2-3/person
cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
avocado, chopped
cucumber, chopped finely
baby spinach
juice of one lime
olive oil
salt and pepper
chickpeas

Mix chopped salad veges and spinach in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste. Place equal quantities of juice and olive oil in a jar and shake to combine. Put drained chickpeas in a bowl and add half the juice/oil. leave to sit for 30 mins or so then drain. Just before serving toss the rest of the dressing through the salad. Fry roti until warm. Add salad and chickpeas to wraps. Roll up and eat.

This site has some great recipes, not all vegetarian but some are easily adapted http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au We loved the pumpkin and fetta cakes, the chickpea burgers, the vege slice, the potato pancakes and the tomato tart and I have made a vege quiche using the quicke lorraine recipe as well. Most of them we just serve with a salad similar to the one I make for the chickpea wraps. We vary the dressing and type of salad leaves but it stays basically the same.

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 am

thanks for that- they're great!!

Darens Girl

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

morethantacos
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 pm

If you eat beans that's great bc it's so easy to make Mexican or pasta meals, e.g. substitute kidney beans for mince in tacos or lentils in spaghetti bolognaise. If you like spinach and cheese a pie is a great option, you can go the slightly more complicated spanakopita way or this is a super easy alternative:

Defrost 2 packets of frozen spinach and squeeze out excess water
Pile it all into the centre of a thawed sheet of shortcrust pastry on a baking tray, leaving a 1 inch border of pastry
Sprinkle with chopped garlic then crumbled feta (about 120g) and grated haloumi (about 150g)
Sprinkle oregano over the cheese and season, then fold up the edges of the pastry
Whisk 1 or 2 eggs with 1/3 cup milk or cream (my recipe says cream but I usually use milk and it works fine) and pour into the pie
Then cook at 210 degrees for about half an hour

My DH isn't vegie (and can be a wee bit picky) but really likes this so I make it a lot. This quantity should feed 4 people (i.e. it will make dinner plus lunch for the next day). I make a lot of grilled vegie salads, i.e. capsicum, zucchini, eggplant grilled with grilled haloumi and a balsamic dressing - can have a big pile with spinach for a whole meal or a smaller serve with sausages if you need something meatier. Frittatas as someone else mentioned are a good option, as are soups, risottos etc. I would invest in a couple of good vegie cookbooks and obviously use the net - taste.com.au and jamieoliver.com are my fave recipe sites and both have good vegie ideas.

kimberlina81
I survived and got married

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 pm

A bit late but thought I would add some too.

The vegie delights range by sanitarium is great. I love the not burgers. Yummo.

One of my favourite things is pasta. You can make some pretty scrummy pasta with no meat.

My favourite throw together one in the evenings is a lemon basil pasta:

Pasta (I use angelhair because it is quick but anything would do)

After the pasta is cooked, drain.

In another saucepan with some olive oil (you are seasoning the oil here) chuck in some garlic (one to two ...or three, he he) cloves, and chopped chilli to taste. You don't want it too spicy - I usually go for one to two whole chillis with seeds. After that has a glorious smell, throw the pasta in and add chopped basil, halved olives and capers. Warm a bit and serve with a generous handful of parmesan.

I have changed this recipe depending on what's in season. We grow lots of stuff, so I often have eggplant so I add one (a lebanese one) to that too. I have also added halved cherry tomatoes at the last minute (you don't want them mush, just warmed up a bit) and that was great.

If you have non vegos coming over, you can add a few prawns (cooked separately) on top.

I also love risotto. Mmmm.. We also have vegetable lasagne as it freezes well and I can use the seasonal vegies.

Hungry now!!!

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:11 pm

morethantacos wrote:
If you eat beans that's great bc it's so easy to make Mexican or pasta meals, e.g. substitute kidney beans for mince in tacos or lentils in spaghetti bolognaise.
Agreed! We make vegie tacos alot and have often had guests who didn't realise it wasn't mince.

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:38 pm

thanks girls! keep them coming :)
i substitute mince recipes with lentil or 4 bean mix which has been working ok.

where abouts in the supermaket do you find the sanitarium stuff? i only ever seem to be able to find the vege dogs and tofu- but i know theres so much more you can get. maybe i just have a crappy supermarket o do they hide somewhere seperately?

kimberlina81

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 am

We just shop mostly at Woolies but sometimes Coles. Should try to go to Coles now because of that whole no credit on visa debit thing.... don't tell me how I can spend my own money!! :evil:

We love the Fry's stuff, it's even better, but quite scarce up here (Townsville) but Coles seem to have some stuff. http://www.frysvegetarian.co.za/product ... s-special/

It is more expensive though.

Sanitarium also make a meat substitute for use in mince. You can buy it in the cold section or in the can. We mostly use the Planet Organic one because it is cheap and keeps in the cupboard.

I have made my own vegie burgers before and they work out SOOOO cheap and freeze well but I have lost the recipe. I lost my recipe book a few Christmases ago and lost all my recipes. I cried!! I took it shopping with me (so stupid) and must have left in a shop. I called everywhere but nowhere had it. :cry:

If I ever find the recipe , I will post it.

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:54 am

I;m not such a fan of the sanitarium stuff... too processed for me

But I like to make my own like kimberlina... yummy and cheap :mrgreen:

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author