A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Pumpkin Soup

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 pm

I have been given a whole pumpkin straight from the ground at my brothers farm and am looking for any pumpkin soup recipies. Not just the average one's something a bit better, maybe that is traditional to your family etc

turbo311
♥ The New Mrs D ♥

Re: Pumpkin Soup

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi mine is really simple - but it was given to me by a cheif and I swear by it....

Finely chop the pumkin into 1 cm square portions...

Saute them in butter on a medium heat for 10 minutes (maybe with added leeks but not nessary)

then add 2-3 cups of water (depends on how much pumpkin you have) so you cover the pumkin... and cook it until the pumpkin is crumbly

Then blend...

Its very simple but just delicious!!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:18 pm

I make one with chilli flakes and coconut milk, so it had a lovely spicy thai flavour to it. Nom nom! I don't really have a recipe though, I just wing it! :lol:

kylie4702
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm

I throw unmeasured amounts of pumpkin, potato (2-3), carrot(1-2), garlic(3 cloves), and onion (1 -2) in a pot with half chicken or vegie stock and the other half water. Cook untill mushy, depending on what else i have in the fridge, i have also added sweet potato before and it turned out yummy. Then blend, place back in the pot, add cream to taste (not if you want low fat :lol: )add a little bit of ground cummin (just a little or it will overpower). Sometimes it just needs a little something, so this can depend on if your pumpkin is sweet enough or not. If you think it could use a little more i often add a tsp or two of brown sugar...
Hope this helps,

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks girls, I might make a big batch when I get home. All these sound great :D

Darens Girl

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sylvatin
Together we're unlimited
Together we're unlimited

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Last edited by sylvatin on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

b2k
Formerly known as bergette
Formerly known as bergette

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Here is my family recipe for pumpkin soup

One pumpkin, skin remooved chopped into small cubes
250ml beef stock
1 onion
1 potato
chilli to taste

Boil pumpkin and potato in stock (add water if more liquid is necessary). Add chopped onion.

Once all soft, put in blender and puree

sever with sour cream and crusty bread

Niki24
Chicken
Chicken

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:06 pm

I dont have a recipe either, I usually just wing it. I make it the same as my Grandma did though, and it's yummo.

I usually use a whole pumpkin, an onion and about about 4 potatoes. Chop it all up, and put it in a big pot, then cover with water, and add vegetable stock, salt and lots of pepper. Let it all simmer until it's all cooked down, then blend and stir in cream, and even sour cream is good.

My family usually devours a pot made from a 2 kilo pumpkin. So yummy.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Niki24 wrote:
I dont have a recipe either, I usually just wing it. I make it the same as my Grandma did though, and it's yummo.

I usually use a whole pumpkin, an onion and about about 4 potatoes. Chop it all up, and put it in a big pot, then cover with water, and add vegetable stock, salt and lots of pepper. Let it all simmer until it's all cooked down, then blend and stir in cream, and even sour cream is good.

My family usually devours a pot made from a 2 kilo pumpkin. So yummy.

I shall try that one too, thank you :D

Peaches*
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:29 pm

mine is sinple yet tasty

1 whole pumpkin
2 carrots
2 potatoes
2 Onions
Powdered chicken stock
powdered Vegetable stock
minced garlic
Curry Powder
Salt Pepper
and water to cover

just roughly chop all vegies put everything in a pot and cook till the vegies go soft adn start to breakdown. then just blend it.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Great thanks :D

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 pm

mrsko wrote:
Chop your pumpkin with the skin on, line on tray with garlic (skin intact), put into oven to roast. Scoup flesh from pumkin skin, remove skin from garlic. Fry up some chopped onion with butter until transparent. Add chicken stock/broth, season to taste. Wiz until smooth, add swirl of cream, chopped herbs etc. And that's how I like my pumpkin soup :D

Good thing about pumpkin soup is that you can add pretty much any other veg, herbs, spices, etc, you are only limited by your imagination.

I also roast my pumpkin..it adds great flavour!

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:10 am

This is my grandma's.....

One pumpkin chopped into small pieces
One Large onion chopped into small pieces
Beef stock cube
water
cream.

Cook the pumpkin in boiling water (only enough to cover the pumpkin) with the onion and the beef stock.

Cook until the pumpkin is soft. In a blender, blend all the pumpkin, onion and remaining pot water until smooth, return to pot and add cream to your desired thickness.

This is an awesome reciepe that is easy to make. It can be quite thick so instead of cream we use carnation milk 98% fat free for a lighter option and it tastes just as good!!!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22