A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

How much do you spend on groceries a week?

Less than $50
16 (24%)
$50 - $80
3 (4%)
$80-$100
6 (9%)
$100-$150
21 (31%)
$150-$200
11 (16%)
$200-$250
4 (6%)
$250-$300
1 (1%)
$300 and above
5 (7%)

Total votes: 67

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

How much do you spend on your groceries?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Girls,

Just wondering what the norm is for groceries?
We do a weekly shop and spend about $180 for just me and DH, this usually includes breakfast and lunch for 7 days and 5 dinner meals as we usually get take out twice a week.
We are extremely healthy and dont buy junk - we both have 2 snacks a day which generally consists of yougurt, fruit or nuts. The only junk we buy is maybe a block of chocolate or bickies for DH. Im also GF but i dont really need buy GF products as i eat alot of natural foods - maybe a loaf of GF bread every 2 weeks.

Would love to cut the cost down but have no idea how to :roll:

Would love to hear how much it costs you :D
Last edited by emylou55 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Re: How much do you spend on your groceries?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Ours is about $150 per week. Like you we don't buy junk - it's all fresh stuff, very limited processed food! Eating healthily isn't cheap...

We only buy amounts we need - since being on my eating plan, we are organised and don't waste very much food at all.

I can't help with making the shopping cheaper - except for maybe buying meat in bulk when it's on special and freezing it in appropriate meal sized portions!

FLG

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Usually $120-$150 a week. Perhaps OP could add a poll, that might be helpful?

Darens Girl

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

about $40-$60 a week, includes eating out occasionally

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm

mrsko wrote:

for 2 people?!?! What do you eat?

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 pm

amberino21 wrote:
Ours is about $150 per week. Like you we don't buy junk - it's all fresh stuff, very limited processed food! Eating healthily isn't cheap...

Our's would be about the same and I totally agree - it's not cheap eating healthy!

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm

amberino21 wrote:
mrsko wrote:

for 2 people?!?! What do you eat?

OMG are you for real?

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 pm

About $75-100 per week, but that is just groceries, not pet food/toiletries as we buy them from pet food stores or priceline generally.
We buy in bulk, a lot. Our chest freezer is our best friend!

- meat from local farmers, buy whole lambs or sides of beef (all organic)
- fruit and veg from the farmers market, what we don't grow ourselves
- 20kg sacks of rice in bulk from asian grocery store
- buy basics like soy, sweet chilli sauce etc from asian grocery store as it's much cheaper
- if something is on special (ie, sausages after a long weekend, or mince etc) we'll buy bulk and freeze, even bread.
- don't have to buy eggs as my parents keep chickens

We eat what I consider a very good and diverse diet. We also don't buy junk or overly processed food. Buying the bulk meat was the thing that really bumped us down under the $100 mark though.

Darens Girl

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 pm

i go to my local fruit & veg & they always have specials like bags of carrots/potatos/onions, etc so i buy those for about $10 in total & meat can vary between chicken & beef so i can spend about $20 on meat & then there's the other stuff like, sauces, canned tuna, pasta, chips & soft drinks for DH & I like my chocolate. so whatever i feel like buying, i would buy.

other times when i go to my parents house or MIL's they always give us groceries, like half bags of rice, green leafy asian vegies. they also grow heaps of herbs so i score those as well.

as i get older, my metabolism has slowed down so i don't need to eat as much as i used to. besides i like to maintain my ideal weight so no indulging for me too much.

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Darens Girl

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:22 pm

i suppose you do what you can to save money, well for me anyways

NN
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

mandamoo wrote:

Thanks Manda. Good to see how it has or if not changed, as far as I'm concerned I am sure that groceries aren't the same price as two years ago :roll:

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Wow im suprised by the people who spend less than $50 a week 8O

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 pm

I shop at a few different places each week. Aldi, Coles and a meat wholesaler. I can spend anywhere between $40 to $60 a week at Aldi, $40 to $70 a week at Coles and $40 to $70 a fortnight on meat. I find my grocery bill varies depending on whether I need many toiletries or school snacks etc. I have to feed DH and I as well as his 10 year old son who we have for 7 days each fortnight. I've found that if I purchase a lot of school snacks at Aldi (much cheaper than Coles for snack bars and treats etc) it really helps with the $$. We also have a chest freezer so I store all our meat in there, as well as my bread because I like the expensive bread but I don't eat much of it. A loaf of my bread will last me a month if I freeze it. I also buy all the icecreams and frozen snacks from Aldi as well as I find they're a lot cheaper.

We aren't big milk drinkers, we just have milk in coffee so I buy the UHT milk from Aldi otherwise a litre would go off before we finish it. I always look out for specials too.

Naradine
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 am

we prob. spend between $100-$150 / week. We do our shopping once a week on thursdays with a shopping list and a menu for the coming week. We go to aldi first and then Safeway. Aldi does save heaps of money, the only thing I dont like buying from there is meat and fruit/veg. It feels like I'd rather spend the little bit more at safeway to know what I'm getting. Wish we had butchers and markets around us, but have not found anything of that around our area.. It's expencive to eat healthy..

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 am

SmallNads wrote:
I shop at a few different places each week. Aldi, Coles and a meat wholesaler. I can spend anywhere between $40 to $60 a week at Aldi, $40 to $70 a week at Coles and $40 to $70 a fortnight on meat. I find my grocery bill varies depending on whether I need many toiletries or school snacks etc. I have to feed DH and I as well as his 10 year old son who we have for 7 days each fortnight. I've found that if I purchase a lot of school snacks at Aldi (much cheaper than Coles for snack bars and treats etc) it really helps with the $$. We also have a chest freezer so I store all our meat in there, as well as my bread because I like the expensive bread but I don't eat much of it. A loaf of my bread will last me a month if I freeze it. I also buy all the icecreams and frozen snacks from Aldi as well as I find they're a lot cheaper.

We aren't big milk drinkers, we just have milk in coffee so I buy the UHT milk from Aldi otherwise a litre would go off before we finish it. I always look out for specials too.

uht doesn't last longer once opened- if you buy regular skim milk, it should last a couple of weeks at least! We often have skim milk that is fine even a week or more after the 'expiry' date!!

stefania
Baby Mama ♥
Baby Mama ♥

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I do a 'big' shop that adds up to around $100 per fortnight, and end up going back and spending probably $50 all up - making it $150 per fortnight, so around $75 per week. That includes fruit, veg, meat, snacks, drinks, cleaning products & toiletries.

FH doesn't eat lunch as he is a Chef he eats at work so that keeps out costs right down, but I cook dinner most nights, but try to make enough to last us two meals each, it's just easier for me that way. We probably buy take away once a week too.

btb89

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 pm

I usually spend between $100-$120/week for 2 of us. I shop at both Woolies & Aldi, my main 'shop' is done at Woolies, but I do go into Aldi to get a few bits & pieces (usually $20/30 worth) that is significantly cheaper than Woolies. I would LOVE to be able to reduce the cost of our food shop, but it doesn't matter how I purchase (bulk or not), or WHERE I go, I still keep spending more & more. We buy little in the way of processed / junk food / soft drink, lots of fresh fruit & veg & meat!! We both make lunches / take left overs for work lunches, and eat out maybe once per week (incl "Take Away Friday").

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

To the people who spend less than $50 a week - do you eat out alot? and buy your lunches at work?

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm

$120 - $150 each a week...
Only natural foods, bread, natural yoghurt, nuts seeds, fresh berries, dried fruit, tuna, prawns, bulk meat and free range chicken, lots of veges and fruit plus cat stuff and the occasional purchase of cleaning products!
No packaged foods but we buy protein powder adn supplements which can sometimes up the $$
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22