A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Slow cookers???

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Ladies,

Im really curious to hear from people who use slow cookers...
What do you cook in them? Are they really that good?

I think i would be scared to leave it running all day while at work?

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Re: Slow cookers???

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

They are THE BEST!!!!

They are totally safe as the temperature is not hot enough to cause damage.

I put a dish on last night when I got home from work to cook while I was out getting my nails done and it was done by the time I got home! Risotto with pumpkin :) Just chuck everything in, put the lid on, turn it on and leave!

DEFINATELY get one - I just bought one from Coles when they had them on special for like $45 or something and I use it all the time! You can do sooooooo much in them too - look up some recipes! Stews, rice, pasta, soup, drinks, cakes, sweets, EVERYTHING!!

And will definately make live HEAPS easier when we have kids and I can just chuck it on in the morning while their doing their thing early on in the day and not have to think about anything come 5pm! :)

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a slow cooker fan :oops:

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Yum risotto sounds delish!!
Do you get your recipes out of special slow cooker recipe books?

tiffanyblue
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:13 pm

I make stews, curries, soups etc in mine. It's great. There's even a range of meal bases you can buy now to give you some ideas.

Does anyone have any really great recipes? I'm always trying to find some really yummy stuff to cook, especially now as it's coming up to winter.

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

emylou55 wrote:
Yum risotto sounds delish!!
Do you get your recipes out of special slow cooker recipe books?

There is an awesome one I get out of the book that came with my mum's but other than that, the net is awesome!

I did a lot of reseach (because I hate buying a cookbook and then only using it once or twice) to find the best slow cooker books around and so far, I have only found the one below.

Make it Fast, Cook it Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking (Paperback)
By (author) Stephanie O'Dea
http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781 ... ok-it-Slow

I'm sure there are more FAB ones out there and I am determined to find them - will let you know when I do.

P.S. There are HEAPS of cheap ones on Book Depository (much cheaper than u can buy them in AUS for and the shipping is free) so have a look through there! :)

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes! I love mine, it's my favourite thing in my kitchen!! When I first got it, I was afraid to leave it on at work, but my mum has been using hers since her and dad got married and she told me I was being silly. I ended up doing it one day, and haven't looked back!

I love putting it on first thing in the morning before work, and coming home to a lovely smelling house, with beautiful warm tender food ready to serve! It's awesome in winter. I have a chicken soup cooking away on mine today and the whole house smells incredible! :heart:

We use ours for casserole, curries, stews, soups, silverside etc mostly. I did a pot roast once, but still prefer to use my weber for roasting instead.

A fantastic slow cooker recipe book is one you can get from the ABC store, it's called 'slow cooker' by Sally Wise. I bought it 2 years ago when it first came out and it's fantastic, the best slow cooker recipies I have seen, always easy and always tasty: http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.a ... tid=166653

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

It uses very low voltage so it wouldnt burn the house down

I love my slow cooker and really great in winter!!!! To come home and its all cooked and ready and the meat is so tender

I cant live without my slow cooker

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

futuremrsmanco wrote:
They are THE BEST!!!!

They are totally safe as the temperature is not hot enough to cause damage.

I put a dish on last night when I got home from work to cook while I was out getting my nails done and it was done by the time I got home! Risotto with pumpkin :) Just chuck everything in, put the lid on, turn it on and leave!

DEFINATELY get one - I just bought one from Coles when they had them on special for like $45 or something and I use it all the time! You can do sooooooo much in them too - look up some recipes! Stews, rice, pasta, soup, drinks, cakes, sweets, EVERYTHING!!

And will definately make live HEAPS easier when we have kids and I can just chuck it on in the morning while their doing their thing early on in the day and not have to think about anything come 5pm! :)

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a slow cooker fan :oops:

Agree with all of this :D :D

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Ok i think i need one :D
Is there any brand better than the others?
I have always been turned off by them becasue i cant buy the base sachets in the supermarkets as they have wheat and thickeners in them - im just lazy :D

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Check this site out Emy:

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... mpare.aspx

We have this one and we both love it:

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm

emylou55 wrote:
I have always been turned off by them becasue i cant buy the base sachets in the supermarkets as they have wheat and thickeners in them - im just lazy :D

You dont even need those sachets - seriously..i've never seen a tin of tomatos thicken so much on it's own in anything else! :lol:

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm

futuremrsmanco wrote:
emylou55 wrote:

You dont even need those sachets - seriously..i've never seen a tin of tomatos thicken so much on it's own in anything else! :lol:

I agree, you def. don't need the sachets! I prefer not to cook with recipe bases at all , and have only used a slow cooker one once. The rest of the time, all base ingredients like stock, tinned tomatos, sauce (ie. soy), herbs and spices. All you need!

We have a cheapie one, but it's help up well for 5 years. Will be upgrading to a bigger one this year though, probably a sunbeam as they make a nice big reliable one. My mum has an old crock pot brand that was a wedding present, so over 30 years old now and still going strong!

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks girls i will look into it :D

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 am

I got one yippee :)
Now i just have to learn how to use it!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 am

Have fun! They're really easy, just use yummy recipes and you'll be fine :)
I think I might pop a chicken soup in mine to cook today actually!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:01 pm

I have a big oval one and I :heart: it, and am even thinking of getting a smaller round one for side dishes and desserts :roll:

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 pm

I purchase one last year, tried and failed miserably, then it's lived in the cupboard ever since :( Everything came out so watery and I followed the recipes exactly!

I have pulled it out of the cupboard today though and precut the meat and veggies ready to put in the cooker in the morning. Thought I'd give it another chance. Fingers crossed!!

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:18 am

:O

Just saw an ad for the new Breville slow cookers - you can put the dish on the stove top to sear meat and then put it straight into the slow cooker "casing" to finish off the job!

I WANT ONE!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 am

Mrs Manco wrote:
:O

Just saw an ad for the new Breville slow cookers - you can put the dish on the stove top to sear meat and then put it straight into the slow cooker "casing" to finish off the job!

I WANT ONE!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

ME TOO!!!

SnappySarzie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 am

We've just ordered this one after a bit of research - it's also has a pressure cooker function - can't wait till it arrives!

nw 5in1.jpg

I've also got the Sally Wise book recommended above, but have just been doing the recipes old school style in a Le Creuset pot in a low oven. All her recipes are so easy and so tasty!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06